Pre-Trip 2 Broke Guys (now with Table of Contents!)

Important note: First post edited 7/13/17 to make this odyssey easier to follow!

The reason is I started this pre-trip report over a year ago to help plan our most important trip ever (so far) our 10 year wedding anniversary trip.

However, we have AP's, and we took many short "side-trips" along the way. Rather than creating so many Trip Report threads and looking like a total egomaniac, I just added those mini-TR's into this same thread.

People have said it was hard to follow (I can see that.) Someone suggested putting a "table of contents" in the beginning. So that's what I'm doing. Then you can skip to the pages with the other trip reports, or just read the ones pertaining to "the big one" coming up in early September, 2017.

I will post that trip report separately when it finally happens, but will of course link to it here.

Speaking of linking here, here's a little background. This old post details our vow renewals a few years ago, for a very specific reason. If you haven't read my other trip reports or interacted with me very much on the boards, it kind of sets the stage for what's to come. Here's that link:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...orporate-disney-into-your-vow-renewal.903761/

What follows is the original first post (from 2/11/16) of this long, long thread. At the end of it, I'll put the table of contents to guide you through the rest of the thread.

I am sitting here in a hotel in Tampa, just an hour away from "home." And I'm thinking about it LOL. Oh, am I thinking about it.

When I'm "home home" - in Fort Lauderdale, I never have time to do more than some quick posts because I am always busy with work.

This is going to be a long-@ss pre-trip report.

Not necessarily this first post, but the report as a whole - by necessity, since the trip isn't until early September 2017. And I know I can use some help and advice in putting this all together - it's a very special trip - and have already begun organizing my thoughts based on discussions on this forum.

The basic premise is this: We are going to spend our 10-year wedding anniversary celebration at WDW, with the centerpiece of that trip to be the biggest dinner we can afford at Victoria & Albert's (hopefully the chef's table.) One of the things we enjoy most about Disney in our forties are the amazing meals at places like the Flying Fish Cafe and the Yachtsman's Steakhouse. I expect this meal will be at least as mind-blowing, but probably more.

The catch is - it costs a freaking fortune (at least to us.) I'm estimating something like $600 to $800 when all is said and done(?) And there is no way I could justify spending that much money on one meal.

Except...we have the Disney Chase Visa card, and have come to rely on this for our last several trips. This has opened doors to new experiences that we couldn't afford before. Instead of getting a 4-day ticket, we started getting AP's. Instead of staying off property, we started staying at Disney Moderates. And loved it!

And - we have a year off (sort of) to save up for this magical trip and important celebration. For the last several years, we've been getting the Florida Resident Weekday Select Annual Pass every other year, never two years in a row. I think it's good to go away and miss it for awhile, especially with all the work being done. Stay away for a year and come back to lots of little surprises. (Like those metal detectors! Ha!) They're fine. Anyway, that's the responsible side of me to say we shouldn't spend that much money every year. (We really shouldn't.)

But the advantage of that in this case is to amass Disney Chase Visa card points for months on end (sort of.) We used up all the rest of our points on our last short trip in January of 2016. But then at the end of the month, we earned more money. It's just sitting there...LOL.

Well, I made a deal with myself - if I can save up that $700 or $800 just in Chase points, then I can justify booking that meal at Victoria & Albert's. So that is the first goal. I know somebody will tell me when is the first day I can book it, and I will make a note on my phone so I don't forget LOL.

Based on January rewards being $146.50, I'm thinking this should be cake. (Mmm...cake...)

I'm not saving up for this September, but next September 2017. Total cake, right?!

Then we have to figure out where to stay. I'd like it to be our first Deluxe (possibly on the special floor with the extra goodies) and probably our first DVC rental. DVC Upside - real cost is less. Downside - can't pay for it with Disney Chase dollars LOL. That is funny, but it is a real consideration.

There's the obvious choice - to stay in the Grand Floridian to be where Victoria & Albert's is.

I don't know if that would be my favorite place in general.

I think my favorite place might be the Polynesian - I like the food & the vibe - and the walking into MK. I think that's a must on this trip - have to be able to walk to somewhere. That would include all of the Boardwalk area properties, which are fine with me as well.

Or AK with the Savannah view.

Then there's the corny and sentimental way - 10 years ago, our honeymoon was to Key West. They have a Key West DVC hotel. We love Olivia's. Somehow it doesn't seem big deal enough or have something special like a footpath to MK lol.

At the very least, a monorail resort, even if not walking distance, would be preferred.

Then we have to figure out whether or not to bring the dog or leave her home, drive or fly, diet for 6 months for the pictures LOL. Maybe this one and only trip would be worth memory maker?

I want to really blow it out - something we will never forget. Go for the upgrades. Pick the right tour or tours. So much to discuss!!

I will end each post in this saga like the parodied "2 Broke Girls" TV show, with the dollar amount of whatever they have left or have made at the end of the show, so you can see where they are in their goal.

So for example, tonight's would be:

$146.50

I'll add in any WDW Gift Cards I might buy or receive in the next year as part of what's saved up for that trip. My free BJ's trial period just expired, so I won't be getting any discounted GC's from them.

Now - the potential issue: there is no way we are not going to go to Disney in some way until September of 2017. We are toying with skipping our usual January or April trip in order to go full-on crazy in September.

But we are also toying with things like my dilemma as I sit here in this hotel with all this time to type. We're less than an hour away. I told this story in more detail at the end of my last trip report thread, so I'll just make it very short: Brian is working in Tampa from the end of January until the middle of February (over three weeks.) Yesterday I packed up our pup and drove up to visit, with our Valentine's Day gifts in tow (mostly specialty sugar-free chocolate dipped pretzels potato chips, oreos, plus peppermint bark, etc. We know we won't see each other for Valentine's Day, so basically tomorrow is it, unless I stay until Saturday morning.

Since no WDW trip was planned, I did not bring either my Tables In Wonderland card, or my Chase rewards gift card. But I called, and confirmed I could go to Guest Services and get another gift card (which of course can be loaded automatically.) There's a nice lunch reservation open. There's a spot for the pup at Best Friends Pet Care for 1/2 day care.

On the one hand - this would be something like a 45 minute to 1 hour drive for Brian from 12:30 to 1:30 to go to a special Disney lunch at 1:50, hang out for a bit, and then drive back 45 minutes to an hour to go to work by 4PM until 4AM. (I would have my own car, spend more money buying Disney records for my record store after lunch, go pick up the dog, and drive home to Fort Lauderdale.)

The other option is to drop the pup off at Petco in Tampa for a shampoo, and then hurry to whatever local restaurant is near that Petco, and meh.

Who would ever forget picking up and driving to WDW just for lunch for Valentine's Day (early) There's a fun story to remember when we're in our 60's LOL.

But it would already deplete our current total towards our V&A goal:

$146.50

OK, that was the first post of this whole thing. Now here comes the table of contents. Separate trip reports will be listed in bold. Regular stuff won't.

Posts 1-11 planning.
Posts 12-18: "The Blip Report" - a spur of the moment, one day drive over to the Yacht Club for Valentine's Day lunch at Captain's Grille (with dog.)
Posts 19-70 planning.
Posts 71-199 (page 4) pre-trip (back pain) & TR for 3-day quickie in September 2016 for Food & Wine (no dog, meeting Tuvalu, car trouble LOL) (skip it if you're only in for the anniversary trip!)
Posts 200-210 stuff. (starts bottom of page 10)
Posts 211-258-ish (begins page 11) "micro-trip" - had to go back up to get our car, might as well visit the Mouse!
Posts 258-ish to 276 planning.
Posts 277-283 (page 14) Pre-trip for almost Christmas at Saratoga Springs
Posts 284-331 planning, chit-chat, Thanksgiving
Posts 332-380 (page 17) That almost Christmas trip at Saratoga Springs
Posts 381-392 (Page 20) mostly chit-chat
Posts 393-561 (starts on page 20) (Several short trips back and forth since Brian had sporadic work in Orlando - all with dog!) Including Flower & Garden, Tiffins, more Tiffins, Valentine's Day again, RoL, and to confuse things, somwhere around #522 I'm at WDW but also planning the September 2017 trip (it was the 180 day mark for ADR's!)
Posts 562-569 chit chat
Posts 570-605 (page 29) - omg another quickie trip, Paddlefish
Posts 606-614 chit chat
Posts 615-657 (page 31) omg another trip - Wishes at Cali Grill (our last time seeing it)
Posts 658-694 chit chat, Record Store Day, Nashville
Posts 695- serious September planning!!

Last edited:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
View attachment 143557

This little ball of adorable is Kylie (like Minogue, but not named after her lol.)

As far as we know, she is a Shepard/Chow mix - sweet as pie, and about 60 pounds.

And as much as I love her (too much!!) I am guessing there will be no doggie bag from V&A lol.

We will have to decide as the date gets closer, but if this trip includes a stay on property (which it likely will) then we will have to make it one of our short trips and leave her home with the puppysitter

Oh, say hi from me to Kylie!!! :happy: (My dog, Jack, is part lab, part Chow.) Yah, it's too bad you can't take her on property. I'd bet that if even one of the "value" resorts had one building that pets would be welcome, they'd probably get quite a few customers. But, I also suppose that Disney would never do this, because I can only imagine that some people would just leave the dog (or other pet) in the room all day while they went to the parks, and that would pose a safety issue for the housekeepers.

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
Oh, say hi from me to Kylie!!! :happy: (My dog, Jack, is part lab, part Chow.) Yah, it's too bad you can't take her on property. I'd bet that if even one of the "value" resorts had one building that pets would be welcome, they'd probably get quite a few customers. But, I also suppose that Disney would never do this, because I can only imagine that some people would just leave the dog (or other pet) in the room all day while they went to the parks, and that would pose a safety issue for the housekeepers.

Hey, let's see a pic of Jack!

We always thought if we got a second dog, it would be either a lab/chow or a lab/shepherd. Brian grew up with two labs. On the one hand, Kylie seems a little lonely sometimes. On the other hand, so many variables - will they get along, will the new dog be a barker (we are so spoiled with Kylie)

We have considered fostering. That may happen at some point.

I think Disney could definitely make one of the value resorts pet friendly. Most hotels now have some kind of pet policy. They have come out with products in the last 10 to 20 years that thoroughly remove odors, etc.

And then integrate a smaller version of Best Friends Pet Care Disney into that hotel area so we can leave the pets for daycare when we go to the parks. That's what we do now, we just have to drive to Best Friends Pet Care Disney. We have never left her there overnight. We always take her back with us to a pet friendly hotel at night.

So she will probably come up with us for a trip or two in the next year, but probably not for that specific anniversary trip.

Last edited:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Hey, let's see a pic of Jack!

We always thought if we got a second dog, it would be either a lab – Chow or a lab – Shepherd. Brian grew up with two labs. On the one hand, Carly seems a little lonely sometimes. On the other hand, so many variables - will they get along, will the new dog be a barker (we are so spoiled with Kylie)

We have considered fostering. That may happen at some point.

I think Disney could definitely make one of the value resorts pet friendly. Most hotels now have some kind of pet policy. They have come out with products in the last 10 to 20 years that thoroughly remove odors, etc.

And then integrate a smaller version of Best Friends Pet Care Disney into that hotel area so we can leave the pets for daycare when we go to the parks. That's what we do now, we just have to drive to Best Friends Pet Care Disney. We have never left her there overnight. We always take her back with us to a pet friendly hotel at night.

So she will probably come up with us for a trip or two in the next year, but probably not for that specific anniversary trip.

I really like your idea of integrating a smaller version of Best Friends Pet Care Disney into one building at a Value, so that the guests could leave the dogs right there in "dog care", while they go off to the parks, and not have to worry about them unattended. O.k. Since you asked, here is a little jpg (click to expand) of my dog, and he's a rascal. Doesn't like cameras either--he's very suspicious of why someone would want to take a picture of him. My hubby and I tried one day to take multiple pictures, and it was nearly impossible to keep him still for a moment! :joyfull: He's a lot better looking in person--it's just the camera that traumatized him! :p

Jack 1.jpg

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
I really like your idea of integrating a smaller version of Best Friends Pet Care Disney into one building at a Value, so that the guests could leave the dogs right there in "dog care", while they go off to the parks, and not have to worry about them unattended. O.k. Since you asked, here is a little jpg (click to expand) of my dog, and he's a rascal. Doesn't like cameras either--he's very suspicious of why someone would want to take a picture of him. My hubby and I tried one day to take multiple pictures, and it was nearly impossible to keep him still for a moment! :joyfull: He's a lot better looking in person--it's just the camera that traumatized him! :p

View attachment 143671

Awww...so pretty! Does he tear up that floor? Lol. That's a big dilemma in our house is what kind of flooring to put down because Kylie likes to play Scooby Doo and her legs move really fast before her body starts moving, and then she runs from one room to the next like a lunatic LOL.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member

View attachment 143671

I know this is a thread full of dog people (and I love all doggies!!), but I have 3 cats, the youngest of which is named Rascal, so I had to chime in on that. My Rascal kitty earns his name every single day.

I give all kinds of love to other people's dogs, but I would never keep one, we are out of the house all day and would have to hire a walker (whcih we couldn't afford to do). So, I just give boundless amounts of love to every pup I meet. :inlove:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Awww...so pretty! Does he tear up that floor? Lol. That's a big dilemma in our house is what kind of flooring to put down because Kylie likes to play Scooby Doo and her legs move really fast before her body starts moving, and then she runs from one room to the next like a lunatic LOL.

Flooring or rugs are always the question--with floors, dogs skid (like Scooby Doo!), and with rugs, their claws just dig them up, and eventually wreck them. So I've yet to find any perfect flooring solution for a dog. But overall, I'd stick with some sort of tile that also makes it easy for any clean-ups. The floor you see in the photo is actually a regular tile floor that "looks" like hardwood. :)

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
I know this is a thread full of dog people (and I love all doggies!!), but I have 3 cats, the youngest of which is named Rascal, so I had to chime in on that. My Rascal kitty earns his name every single day.

I give all kinds of love to other people's dogs, but I would never keep one, we are out of the house all day and would have to hire a walker (whcih we couldn't afford to do). So, I just give boundless amounts of love to every pup I meet. :inlove:

My family were always "dog people" but when I got my first apartment at age 17, I knew I wouldn't be able to take care of a dog. That's when I got my one and only cat – with a super original name "baby" LOL. I raised her like a dog and she acted like one LOL. She was with me for my 18 years from two weeks after getting my first apartment until two weeks after returning home from my honeymoon. Don't make me cry right now LOL. I'll have to find an actual pic at some point because there are none on my phone.

When she passed, it took all the wind out of my sails after the highs of the wedding and the honeymoon. And I knew I would never get another cat because there would never be another baby. In fact, we put off getting a dog for almost 2 years because I just didn't want any other pet for a while.

Which was obviously perfect timing because the first day we went to "just look" at the shelter, we met our Kylie, and she is just a truly remarkable dog. She never ever barks except at cats and the doorbell lol. And the shelter was kind of pushing her on us because they said chow chows are hard to place – they can be temperamental, they can be very protective, they can bite, they can be fine with their owners but not other people, etc.

But she is the absolute sweetest with everyone. Except cats LOL.

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
Flooring or rugs are always the question--with floors, dogs skid (like Scooby Doo!), and with rugs, their claws just dig them up, and eventually wreck them. So I've yet to find any perfect flooring solution for a dog. But overall, I'd stick with some sort of tile that also makes it easy for any clean-ups. The floor you see in the photo is actually a regular tile floor that "looks" like hardwood. :)

That is exactly what we are looking at for our two bedrooms right now! You had me fooled. I thought it was a wood floor from the pic!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
My family were always "dog people" but when I got my first apartment at age 17, I knew I wouldn't be able to take care of a dog. That's when I got my one and only cat – with a super original name "baby" LOL. I raised her like a dog and she acted like one LOL. She was with me for my 18 years from two weeks after getting my first apartment until two weeks after returning home from my honeymoon. Don't make me cry right now LOL. I'll have to find an actual pic at some point because there are none on my phone.

When she passed, it took all the wind out of my sails after the highs of the wedding and the honeymoon. And I knew I would never get another cat because there would never be another baby. In fact, we put off getting a dog for almost 2 years because I just didn't want any other pet for a while.

Which was obviously perfect timing because the first day we went to "just look" at the shelter, we met our Kylie, and she is just a truly remarkable dog. She never ever barks except at cats and the doorbell lol. And the shelter was kind of pushing her on us because they said chow chows are hard to place – they can be temperamental, they can be very protective, they can bite, they can be fine with their owners but not other people, etc.

But she is the absolute sweetest with everyone. Except cats LOL.

Wow. Eighteen years with a cat is a long time. (My previous dog we had for about 15 years, and that's also long for a dog.) And I "get" what you said about the 2-year hiatus as you needed the time to grieve. When our previous dog passed away, it affected me deeply; I needed a year to heal. Even now, I sometimes look at her picture and miss her so much.

Had to chuckle about going to a shelter to "just look" --nobody comes home from a shelter without bringing home a new dog! :p So glad you got such a sweet dog. Chow mixes can run the gamut. We've had some issues with our dog over the years, but we love him. Basically, with (many) Chows, or Chow mixes, you have to maintain a very strong alpha position over them. That seems to cure most of their issues.

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
Wow. Eighteen years with a cat is a long time. (My previous dog we had for about 15 years, and that's also long for a dog.) And I "get" what you said about the 2-year hiatus as you needed the time to grieve. When our previous dog passed away, it affected me deeply; I needed a year to heal. Even now, I sometimes look at her picture and miss her so much.

Had to chuckle about going to a shelter to "just look" --nobody comes home from a shelter without bringing home a new dog! :p So glad you got such a sweet dog. Chow mixes can run the gamut. We've had some issues with our dog over the years, but we love him. Basically, with (many) Chows, or Chow mixes, you have to maintain a very strong alpha position over them. That seems to cure most of their issues.

That's actually very true! She had to "learn her place," but she did very quickly. I remember the moment - about a week or two after we brought her home (she was already 7 months old and had been adopted by another family and then returned to the shelter(!!!) so she definitely had some separation anxiety issues, also.)

Anyway, I was walking her, she was pulling and acting out and actually snapped at me. Having been binge watching The Dog Whisperer for a few weeks, I gave some things a shot: basically I had to hold her down (so she knew I could overpower her) and put my thumb in the front of her mouth (so she knows I don't fear the bite) and then put her gently on her back and rub her tummy until she calmed down.

That was it, and it never happened again. And she grew out of the separation anxiety when she was with us long enough to know we weren't going to abandon her. But that's still the reason I won't leave her overnight in a shelter.

She's very smart, very aware, and very sensitive - and grew up to be so easy around all people.

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
At this rate, we should have enough for our V&A dinner by October (almost a year early!) although we are planning a short trip in October which can easily deplete that. LOL.

Brian just had back surgery yesterday - he hurt it in mid-April and had been in a lot of pain ever since. They basically snipped a big piece off one of his discs, and the doctor seemed very impressed that he could already move his foot almost immediately afterward. He said that doesn't always happen and is a good sign.

He is still sore today, will take some time to recover - all the more reason to plan some happy time at The World in October if we can.

Ok prev balance $167.59 + 2 AP's
Plus June points $143.89 =

2 AP's + $311.48

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Hope Brian recovers quickly!

Keep the V&A funds separate from everything else, even when you've reached your goal. Don't allow yourselves to be tempted to spend some of it elsewhere, thinking you can "make it up later." Stay strong, your goal is worth it!! :p

MinnieM123

Premium Member
At this rate, we should have enough for our V&A dinner by October (almost a year early!) although we are planning a short trip in October which can easily deplete that. LOL.

Brian just had back surgery yesterday - he hurt it in mid-April and had been in a lot of pain ever since. They basically snipped a big piece off one of his discs, and the doctor seemed very impressed that he could already move his foot almost immediately afterward. He said that doesn't always happen and is a good sign.

He is still sore today, will take some time to recover - all the more reason to plan some happy time at The World in October if we can.

Ok prev balance $167.59 + 2 AP's
Plus June points $143.89 =

2 AP's + $311.48

Brian will heal quickly, because he has another trip planned to WDW -- and that's the BEST medicine!! :D (I do hope he's feeling better every day. It's no fun after a surgery, but patience and rest will help him.)

I agree with @Tuvalu (oh, by the way, Hi Tuvalu! :) How are the cats doing?). Oops, sorry, Tony, I got sidetracked here. Back on track, now ;) , Tuvalu had a good idea about keeping the V&A cash fund separate from your other WDW savings. I think back to my grandmother who used to use envelopes for various savings, and she'd put in a specific amount of cash into the envelopes each month.. Nowadays, you don't have to use envelopes, but can designate certain funds to specific bank accounts, or loadable credit or gift cards. It really does help in the big picture to keep certain things separate.

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
Thanks all! You guys are so sweet.

Back surgery has come a long way since my Dad had it in the 80's LOL. Brian went back to work two days ago with no issues other than some minor soreness and so forth. It's another 3 weeks of being careful and then, according to the Doc, he can do anything he could do before the surgery.

All in all, it was the best case scenario. (Whew!)

Looking forward to (hopefully) October and trying to nail down potential dates so when the hotel sales come out we are ready.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom