Pre-Trip 2 Broke Guys (now with Table of Contents!)

Important note: First post edited 7/13/17 to make this odyssey easier to follow!

The reason is I started this pre-trip report over a year ago to help plan our most important trip ever (so far) our 10 year wedding anniversary trip.

However, we have AP's, and we took many short "side-trips" along the way. Rather than creating so many Trip Report threads and looking like a total egomaniac, I just added those mini-TR's into this same thread.

People have said it was hard to follow (I can see that.) Someone suggested putting a "table of contents" in the beginning. So that's what I'm doing. Then you can skip to the pages with the other trip reports, or just read the ones pertaining to "the big one" coming up in early September, 2017.

I will post that trip report separately when it finally happens, but will of course link to it here.

Speaking of linking here, here's a little background. This old post details our vow renewals a few years ago, for a very specific reason. If you haven't read my other trip reports or interacted with me very much on the boards, it kind of sets the stage for what's to come. Here's that link:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...orporate-disney-into-your-vow-renewal.903761/

What follows is the original first post (from 2/11/16) of this long, long thread. At the end of it, I'll put the table of contents to guide you through the rest of the thread.

I am sitting here in a hotel in Tampa, just an hour away from "home." And I'm thinking about it LOL. Oh, am I thinking about it.

When I'm "home home" - in Fort Lauderdale, I never have time to do more than some quick posts because I am always busy with work.

This is going to be a long-@ss pre-trip report.

Not necessarily this first post, but the report as a whole - by necessity, since the trip isn't until early September 2017. And I know I can use some help and advice in putting this all together - it's a very special trip - and have already begun organizing my thoughts based on discussions on this forum.

The basic premise is this: We are going to spend our 10-year wedding anniversary celebration at WDW, with the centerpiece of that trip to be the biggest dinner we can afford at Victoria & Albert's (hopefully the chef's table.) One of the things we enjoy most about Disney in our forties are the amazing meals at places like the Flying Fish Cafe and the Yachtsman's Steakhouse. I expect this meal will be at least as mind-blowing, but probably more.

The catch is - it costs a freaking fortune (at least to us.) I'm estimating something like $600 to $800 when all is said and done(?) And there is no way I could justify spending that much money on one meal.

Except...we have the Disney Chase Visa card, and have come to rely on this for our last several trips. This has opened doors to new experiences that we couldn't afford before. Instead of getting a 4-day ticket, we started getting AP's. Instead of staying off property, we started staying at Disney Moderates. And loved it!

And - we have a year off (sort of) to save up for this magical trip and important celebration. For the last several years, we've been getting the Florida Resident Weekday Select Annual Pass every other year, never two years in a row. I think it's good to go away and miss it for awhile, especially with all the work being done. Stay away for a year and come back to lots of little surprises. (Like those metal detectors! Ha!) They're fine. Anyway, that's the responsible side of me to say we shouldn't spend that much money every year. (We really shouldn't.)

But the advantage of that in this case is to amass Disney Chase Visa card points for months on end (sort of.) We used up all the rest of our points on our last short trip in January of 2016. But then at the end of the month, we earned more money. It's just sitting there...LOL.

Well, I made a deal with myself - if I can save up that $700 or $800 just in Chase points, then I can justify booking that meal at Victoria & Albert's. So that is the first goal. I know somebody will tell me when is the first day I can book it, and I will make a note on my phone so I don't forget LOL.

Based on January rewards being $146.50, I'm thinking this should be cake. (Mmm...cake...)

I'm not saving up for this September, but next September 2017. Total cake, right?!

Then we have to figure out where to stay. I'd like it to be our first Deluxe (possibly on the special floor with the extra goodies) and probably our first DVC rental. DVC Upside - real cost is less. Downside - can't pay for it with Disney Chase dollars LOL. That is funny, but it is a real consideration.

There's the obvious choice - to stay in the Grand Floridian to be where Victoria & Albert's is.

I don't know if that would be my favorite place in general.

I think my favorite place might be the Polynesian - I like the food & the vibe - and the walking into MK. I think that's a must on this trip - have to be able to walk to somewhere. That would include all of the Boardwalk area properties, which are fine with me as well.

Or AK with the Savannah view.

Then there's the corny and sentimental way - 10 years ago, our honeymoon was to Key West. They have a Key West DVC hotel. We love Olivia's. Somehow it doesn't seem big deal enough or have something special like a footpath to MK lol.

At the very least, a monorail resort, even if not walking distance, would be preferred.

Then we have to figure out whether or not to bring the dog or leave her home, drive or fly, diet for 6 months for the pictures LOL. Maybe this one and only trip would be worth memory maker?

I want to really blow it out - something we will never forget. Go for the upgrades. Pick the right tour or tours. So much to discuss!!

I will end each post in this saga like the parodied "2 Broke Girls" TV show, with the dollar amount of whatever they have left or have made at the end of the show, so you can see where they are in their goal.

So for example, tonight's would be:

$146.50

I'll add in any WDW Gift Cards I might buy or receive in the next year as part of what's saved up for that trip. My free BJ's trial period just expired, so I won't be getting any discounted GC's from them.

Now - the potential issue: there is no way we are not going to go to Disney in some way until September of 2017. We are toying with skipping our usual January or April trip in order to go full-on crazy in September.

But we are also toying with things like my dilemma as I sit here in this hotel with all this time to type. We're less than an hour away. I told this story in more detail at the end of my last trip report thread, so I'll just make it very short: Brian is working in Tampa from the end of January until the middle of February (over three weeks.) Yesterday I packed up our pup and drove up to visit, with our Valentine's Day gifts in tow (mostly specialty sugar-free chocolate dipped pretzels potato chips, oreos, plus peppermint bark, etc. We know we won't see each other for Valentine's Day, so basically tomorrow is it, unless I stay until Saturday morning.

Since no WDW trip was planned, I did not bring either my Tables In Wonderland card, or my Chase rewards gift card. But I called, and confirmed I could go to Guest Services and get another gift card (which of course can be loaded automatically.) There's a nice lunch reservation open. There's a spot for the pup at Best Friends Pet Care for 1/2 day care.

On the one hand - this would be something like a 45 minute to 1 hour drive for Brian from 12:30 to 1:30 to go to a special Disney lunch at 1:50, hang out for a bit, and then drive back 45 minutes to an hour to go to work by 4PM until 4AM. (I would have my own car, spend more money buying Disney records for my record store after lunch, go pick up the dog, and drive home to Fort Lauderdale.)

The other option is to drop the pup off at Petco in Tampa for a shampoo, and then hurry to whatever local restaurant is near that Petco, and meh.

Who would ever forget picking up and driving to WDW just for lunch for Valentine's Day (early) There's a fun story to remember when we're in our 60's LOL.

But it would already deplete our current total towards our V&A goal:

$146.50

OK, that was the first post of this whole thing. Now here comes the table of contents. Separate trip reports will be listed in bold. Regular stuff won't.

Posts 1-11 planning.
Posts 12-18: "The Blip Report" - a spur of the moment, one day drive over to the Yacht Club for Valentine's Day lunch at Captain's Grille (with dog.)
Posts 19-70 planning.
Posts 71-199 (page 4) pre-trip (back pain) & TR for 3-day quickie in September 2016 for Food & Wine (no dog, meeting Tuvalu, car trouble LOL) (skip it if you're only in for the anniversary trip!)
Posts 200-210 stuff. (starts bottom of page 10)
Posts 211-258-ish (begins page 11) "micro-trip" - had to go back up to get our car, might as well visit the Mouse!
Posts 258-ish to 276 planning.
Posts 277-283 (page 14) Pre-trip for almost Christmas at Saratoga Springs
Posts 284-331 planning, chit-chat, Thanksgiving
Posts 332-380 (page 17) That almost Christmas trip at Saratoga Springs
Posts 381-392 (Page 20) mostly chit-chat
Posts 393-561 (starts on page 20) (Several short trips back and forth since Brian had sporadic work in Orlando - all with dog!) Including Flower & Garden, Tiffins, more Tiffins, Valentine's Day again, RoL, and to confuse things, somwhere around #522 I'm at WDW but also planning the September 2017 trip (it was the 180 day mark for ADR's!)
Posts 562-569 chit chat
Posts 570-605 (page 29) - omg another quickie trip, Paddlefish
Posts 606-614 chit chat
Posts 615-657 (page 31) omg another trip - Wishes at Cali Grill (our last time seeing it)
Posts 658-694 chit chat, Record Store Day, Nashville
Posts 695- serious September planning!!

Last edited:

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
OK - switched to the laptop because I'm mostly out of pics. The phone is better for posting pics, and the laptop is better for posting words. :cool:

There was a new lady bartender there, originally from Scotland, with the appropriate killer accent who was very friendly. We liked her.

Love the new decor. While we did appreciate the previous more whimsical theme - well, why can't we like both? We did. We do.

Started with the tuna appetizer with compressed watermelon, avocado, and some crazy yellow radish disc that was the star of the plate and I must find somewhere. Delish. Little basket of bread with some kind of special in-house butter Craig was going on about, blah blah blah, I was all into my mapley-bacon peach thing.

As for the entrees - the bartender from Abracadabar made the chicken sound very good, and Brian ordered it, and the bartender was right. I have never tasted chicken with more flavor infused into it. It was served with what was basically a deconstructed ratatouille, as Craig put it. Brian was very happy with it.

I ordered the scallops. It was good, but I was slightly less happy with it. It was just really rich/sweet, and towards the end it was hard to finish. The star of that dish, to my great surprise, were the super souped up grits. There was also a nice sweet corn medley, but again it was sweet on sweet on sweet. A bit too much sweet for me.

Since Craig brought it up, we discussed the new chef & menu. Interesting conversation, and I'll just leave it at that. Expect seasonal changes. And apparently the dessert menu is not getting raves. We skipped it. (No more banana napoleon :jawdrop: which I so loved.)

Menus change. Oh well. Poor Tuvalu and the mustard at Teppan Edo! I feel your pain.

And for Buddy, one more pic: this is us in Key West parasailing with Fury while we were still dating, about 10 years ago, for Brian's birthday in early December. (No jellyfish up there! No liquor either, but there's plenty around everywhere else afterwards!)
parasailing.jpg

This ended up being the picture on our save-the-date cards with the caption: "Come fly with us." :facepalm::geek:

Final thoughts on the Flying Fish: as I told Craig, I wanted to try everything on the old menu. There are few items on the new menu that make me think, "omg, I have to try that." But the new chef seems to be finding his footing, and we will give him room to make his mark. He said there really has been a surprisingly strong backlash from the public about the signature snapper dish going away (and the menu change in general) but he also explained that it is no longer considered a "sustainable" fish, and it's important to that restaurant that everything is. So maybe they'll come up with a retooled version at some point. We will absolutely try it again (possibly in December?)

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
To more or less wrap it up, back to the hotel and right to bed after Flying Fish, up early, packed everything up, took my meds and drove home. We both definitely felt it in our backs and legs after the first day, and a little worse after the second day. (I think I mentioned B had back surgery in June, and is still not great. We now have matching sciatica down the same leg LOL.)

Very happy to see puppy (and I forgot to post the "update pics" from the puppysitter on Monday) but she always does this love me/go away dance when we take a trip. At first she's so excited to see us come home, and then she punishes us and kind of keeps her distance. After that, she followed me around every inch I moved, room to room as I unpacked, did laundry, etc. and now she seems back to normal.

We got back about 11am and then had to rush around - Brian had to be to work at 1pm. We only have one car now (or would as soon as we returned the rental, which had to be back by 12:30.) So we unloaded the rental, I had to quick stop at my store to pick up the rent checks (I'm also the property manager of the building where my store is located so I collect and deposit all the rent checks - kind of late this month!!) and drop off the Disney records, take a pic of those records to post on instagram/fb, get to the bank to make that deposit for the owners, text Brian to meet me at Hertz in my car (in the back of which I had already put my bicycle) return the rental (they gave me $15 back to take a survey - woo hoo!) start pedaling home, get a call from Brian that we left our Sun-pass (E-Z pass, you know, the toll thingy) in the rental, go back and get that, and pedal home. (They make me ride a stationery bike in physical therapy for 10 minutes, and I'm missing physical therapy again today since I don't have a car and it's not nearby, so I got my biking in.)

Then I had to quick shower, change, and bike a few blocks over to City hall, where I was sworn in as an official member of the City's Beautification Advisory Board. (First meeting tomorrow!)

Now we just wait to hear back from the Orlando mechanic. We decided to rent a car again to drive back up and get it, rather than drive my (pretty old) car up and have to drive both back. Peace of mind, and the cost works out about the same.

I floated the idea of hitting Disney again when we do that, and Brian did not say, "are you crazy?" or anything like that. Art Smith, we're comin' for ya!!!

coming soon: part II (?!?)

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Omg where was I? Drinking at bar number two (...of four o_O)

And so busy reading @Tuvalu and @BuddyThomas, I had no time to type!

I think this will be a post of random things that don't belong anywhere else.

Like...what the heck is this?

View attachment 164296

The bottom part of the shot is the front of our boat number 39 at the three Caballeros ride in Mexico. The thing in front of us was bizarre. All the other boats have rows like benches. This empty boat in front of us looked like it just had three seats on each of the front left and front right of it, each in front of the other. At first I thought it wasn't something people rode, but then as we were disembarking, I saw people get into it. Just odd.

Once again, shout out to the Crown Club Inn, a nice clean place with $50 rooms with a king size bed, fitness center that we never used, free decent hot breakfast, several pools and restaurants that we never used, and a shuttle to the parks – although the shuttle schedule was pretty sparse:

View attachment 164298

But hey, our car broke down, so it was all good!

See, now I took too long between posting sessions so I don't remember if I'm repeating myself. I'm going to have to read back on my own trip report before going on LOL.
Mexico-Gran-Fiesta-Tour-handicap-boat-300x200.jpg

It is the disability boat.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
To more or less wrap it up, back to the hotel and right to bed after Flying Fish, up early, packed everything up, took my meds and drove home. We both definitely felt it in our backs and legs after the first day, and a little worse after the second day. (I think I mentioned B had back surgery in June, and is still not great. We now have matching sciatica down the same leg LOL.)

Very happy to see puppy (and I forgot to post the "update pics" from the puppysitter on Monday) but she always does this love me/go away dance when we take a trip. At first she's so excited to see us come home, and then she punishes us and kind of keeps her distance. After that, she followed me around every inch I moved, room to room as I unpacked, did laundry, etc. and now she seems back to normal.

We got back about 11am and then had to rush around - Brian had to be to work at 1pm. We only have one car now (or would as soon as we returned the rental, which had to be back by 12:30.) So we unloaded the rental, I had to quick stop at my store to pick up the rent checks (I'm also the property manager of the building where my store is located so I collect and deposit all the rent checks - kind of late this month!!) and drop off the Disney records, take a pic of those records to post on instagram/fb, get to the bank to make that deposit for the owners, text Brian to meet me at Hertz in my car (in the back of which I had already put my bicycle) return the rental (they gave me $15 back to take a survey - woo hoo!) start pedaling home, get a call from Brian that we left our Sun-pass (E-Z pass, you know, the toll thingy) in the rental, go back and get that, and pedal home. (They make me ride a stationery bike in physical therapy for 10 minutes, and I'm missing physical therapy again today since I don't have a car and it's not nearby, so I got my biking in.)

Then I had to quick shower, change, and bike a few blocks over to City hall, where I was sworn in as an official member of the City's Beautification Advisory Board. (First meeting tomorrow!)

Now we just wait to hear back from the Orlando mechanic. We decided to rent a car again to drive back up and get it, rather than drive my (pretty old) car up and have to drive both back. Peace of mind, and the cost works out about the same.

I floated the idea of hitting Disney again when we do that, and Brian did not say, "are you crazy?" or anything like that. Art Smith, we're comin' for ya!!!

coming soon: part II (?!?)
Hubby and I are back in the world Oct. 1-5 if that coincides with your picking up the car...;)

BuddyThomas

OK - switched to the laptop because I'm mostly out of pics. The phone is better for posting pics, and the laptop is better for posting words. :cool:

There was a new lady bartender there, originally from Scotland, with the appropriate killer accent who was very friendly. We liked her.

Love the new decor. While we did appreciate the previous more whimsical theme - well, why can't we like both? We did. We do.

Started with the tuna appetizer with compressed watermelon, avocado, and some crazy yellow radish disc that was the star of the plate and I must find somewhere. Delish. Little basket of bread with some kind of special in-house butter Craig was going on about, blah blah blah, I was all into my mapley-bacon peach thing.

As for the entrees - the bartender from Abracadabar made the chicken sound very good, and Brian ordered it, and the bartender was right. I have never tasted chicken with more flavor infused into it. It was served with what was basically a deconstructed ratatouille, as Craig put it. Brian was very happy with it.

I ordered the scallops. It was good, but I was slightly less happy with it. It was just really rich/sweet, and towards the end it was hard to finish. The star of that dish, to my great surprise, were the super souped up grits. There was also a nice sweet corn medley, but again it was sweet on sweet on sweet. A bit too much sweet for me.

Since Craig brought it up, we discussed the new chef & menu. Interesting conversation, and I'll just leave it at that. Expect seasonal changes. And apparently the dessert menu is not getting raves. We skipped it. (No more banana napoleon :jawdrop: which I so loved.)

Menus change. Oh well. Poor Tuvalu and the mustard at Teppan Edo! I feel your pain.

And for Buddy, one more pic: this is us in Key West parasailing with Fury while we were still dating, about 10 years ago, for Brian's birthday in early December. (No jellyfish up there! No liquor either, but there's plenty around everywhere else afterwards!)
View attachment 164335
This ended up being the picture on our save-the-date cards with the caption: "Come fly with us." :facepalm::geek:

Final thoughts on the Flying Fish: as I told Craig, I wanted to try everything on the old menu. There are few items on the new menu that make me think, "omg, I have to try that." But the new chef seems to be finding his footing, and we will give him room to make his mark. He said there really has been a surprisingly strong backlash from the public about the signature snapper dish going away (and the menu change in general) but he also explained that it is no longer considered a "sustainable" fish, and it's important to that restaurant that everything is. So maybe they'll come up with a retooled version at some point. We will absolutely try it again (possibly in December?)
Love it!!

Now my question is, if you feel like being so bold - how much was the total check at Flying Fish? I know you did it on points, but I'm just trying to get an idea for restaurants when we go in November. That freaking California Grill check was something for the record books. I'm figuring Flying Fish is equally off the charts?

Gabe1

This also requires further explanation!

As Brian was walking and I was kind of stumbling towards the exit, I hear, "Tonyyy!" And at first I was like what the heck is going on here? And then I look and see Tuvalu and asked, " how did you do that?" And she said she recognized my shirt LOL.

@Tuvalu had to have been a detective in her previous life. Nothing gets past her! :inlove: Not even two broke, tipsy guys. ;)

We still had time to kill, and we hadn't gotten any tree ornament to commemorate the trip, which we do every time. Sometimes it's just a keychain to save money, once in a while it's one of the big expensive ones, but the last time we got one of those, our tree fell over and it broke and I had to buy a new one on eBay.

We usually try to make the ornament reflect something to do with our trip – either where we stayed, something that happened, some new ride we enjoyed, etc. This one took some creativity and searching, but I think it is strikingly appropriate:

View attachment 164317

Ha!!!

OMG! That is beyond a perfect commemorative ornament for this trip. Great find! :D:D:D

OK Flying Fish, our perennial favorite, but 2.0. Would it still be good with a new chef and all new menu?

And this is a bacon maple rye Manhattan with reduced maple syrup, peach juice (but surprisingly not sweet) and garnished with roasted peach and candied bacon - invented by Craig for the new menu.

Let's just take a moment to let that sink in.

That drink sounds disgusting but in reality I'd likely like it if it really wasn't too sweet. But do I trust your taste buds at this point, wasn't this bar #4? ;) :D

View attachment 164335

Color me curious about Flying Fish. A favorite of my families. That was weird how Keating was pretty much gone and gone from the company. So curious, what came first, him leaving or the renovation of the restaurant or because he was gone time for a bit of time so refurbish? The whole thing was quiet and so has he been as far as I know.

I feel for the chef that has to fill his shoes, difficult act to follow. Kinda like 5 years ago when State left Cali Grill and Piasecki had to step up. Now that Piasecki is gone some of new menu changes at Cali are not getting rave reviews either mainly because they don't seem to be as complex as they once were and sides becoming a bit more generic. Hopefully he too will find his way into our hearts and tummy too. Still I am like you, I love savory over sweet. And if there is a sweet element it best be just one-three and I'd be gagging.

As far as the snapper that is a big disappointment and I wonder if it will ever return being a different Chef's signature duo dish or if it was more a budget thing. I love love love snapper and the Fed Atalantic snapper season didn't happen this year at all. The state Gulf Snapper did however and given the location of WDW Atlantic or Gulf is pretty much a wash getting the lovelies to WDW. Or Disney is trying to keep their fingers out of the battle over the right to catch mess that the Feds clearly didn't think through, that has inflated the prices of Snapper and has turned the Gulf into a rerun of sharecropper era. Either way I can understand (still sad) why Snapper isn't worth the supply issues this year from both the Atlantic and Gulf. I'm just wondering where Keating will land. Hopefully somewhere I will be able to go. I was lucky when State left Disney he landed in Northern Illinois. Lucky me.

Gabe1

Love it!!

Now my question is, if you feel like being so bold - how much was the total check at Flying Fish? I know you did it on points, but I'm just trying to get an idea for restaurants when we go in November. That freaking California Grill check was something for the record books. I'm figuring Flying Fish is equally off the charts?

Here is the menu. http://allears.net/dining/menu/flying-fish/dinner

I'd have to pray the Fish of the Day is something outstanding. I like Sea Bass but not Octupus. Salmon is just generic throughout every restaurant in WDW. I'd hate to resort to Chicken at Flying Fish. While I am a big fan of scallops done right (which often they are not) the way Tony has described their version I'd be disappointed.

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
Hubby and I are back in the world Oct. 1-5 if that coincides with your picking up the car...;)

That may come into play if part II plan B goes into play. B works at the football stadium, so usually spends the better part of the week setting up for the weekend games (Dolphins/college) and then off Monday Tuesday, which would be the 26th, 27th. Best estimate so far shows the part coming in on the 27th and a good 4 hours of labor. If it's guaranteed done by Tuesday at 6:30pm closing time, then it's worth another Mon-Tues trip. That's plan A.

If it's done on Thursday or something and they won't hold it til Mon-Tues, then I have to drive up by myself, drop off the rental, and get our car back. That's plan B.

Now if it's Oct 1-2, Trysch the Puppysitter is not available,and neither is B. So id have to take Kylie to Best Friends Pet Care, but first get her shots. (Vaccines, Buddy.)

Or drive up on the 2nd alone, and hang with Tuvalu for a couple days! (I'm very independent.)

Anyway, we shall see.

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
Love it!!

It's somewhat what you make it, but just like you said about that place in Key West, pretty much everything on the menu is over $40 except the chicken is $36. For that, I hope to get amazing. And every previous time here ( when the menu wasn't even quite that high) I was amazed.

I might have to find the receipt, but I know we used our Tables In Wonderland card for 20% off the entire check. I know I handed Craig a $50 gift card to kill first, and take the rest from my points, which was around $130 including the auto 18% tip. Threw in and extra $20 bill for Craig. So $200. And for that much, this was my least fave visit.

Never mentioned Craig of course chose two different white wines to match each of our entrees, marvelously done as always. There's the little suggestion on the menu "pair with..." and then there's Craig tells you what to drink and you will like it! LOL.

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
@Tuvalu had to have been a detective in her previous life. Nothing gets past her! :inlove: Not even two broke, tipsy guys. ;)

OMG! That is beyond a perfect commemorative ornament for this trip. Great find! :D:D:D

That drink sounds disgusting but in reality I'd likely like it if it really wasn't too sweet. But do I trust your taste buds at this point, wasn't this bar #4? ;) :D

Color me curious about Flying Fish. A favorite of my families. That was weird how Keating was pretty much gone and gone from the company. So curious, what came first, him leaving or the renovation of the restaurant or because he was gone time for a bit of time so refurbish? The whole thing was quiet and so has he been as far as I know.

I feel for the chef that has to fill his shoes, difficult act to follow. Kinda like 5 years ago when State left Cali Grill and Piasecki had to step up. Now that Piasecki is gone some of new menu changes at Cali are not getting rave reviews either mainly because they don't seem to be as complex as they once were and sides becoming a bit more generic. Hopefully he too will find his way into our hearts and tummy too. Still I am like you, I love savory over sweet. And if there is a sweet element it best be just one-three and I'd be gagging.

As far as the snapper that is a big disappointment and I wonder if it will ever return being a different Chef's signature duo dish or if it was more a budget thing. I love love love snapper and the Fed Atalantic snapper season didn't happen this year at all. The state Gulf Snapper did however and given the location of WDW Atlantic or Gulf is pretty much a wash getting the lovelies to WDW. Or Disney is trying to keep their fingers out of the battle over the right to catch mess that the Feds clearly didn't think through, that has inflated the prices of Snapper and has turned the Gulf into a rerun of sharecropper era. Either way I can understand (still sad) why Snapper isn't worth the supply issues this year from both the Atlantic and Gulf. I'm just wondering where Keating will land. Hopefully somewhere I will be able to go. I was lucky when State left Disney he landed in Northern Illinois. Lucky me.

Hoping Keating will land in South Florida and bring his potatoes!

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
Here is the menu. http://allears.net/dining/menu/flying-fish/dinner

I'd have to pray the Fish of the Day is something outstanding. I like Sea Bass but not Octupus. Salmon is just generic throughout every restaurant in WDW. I'd hate to resort to Chicken at Flying Fish. While I am a big fan of scallops done right (which often they are not) the way Tony has described their version I'd be disappointed.

They were definitely cooked properly. I would just change one or two elements accompanying the dish.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Once again, shout out to the Crown Club Inn, a nice clean place with $50 rooms with a king size bed, fitness center that we never used, free decent hot breakfast, several pools and restaurants that we never used, and a shuttle to the parks – although the shuttle schedule was pretty sparse

It is amazing that there are places like that within short distances of WDW, that deliver a comfortable, clean room for a most reasonable price. I haven't done the off-site lodging thing in years, but it's good to be reminded of other options, depending upon whether my budget goes up or down, for any future vacation.

So as I tried not to act drunk in front of her Dad, we each took a pic with our respective phones.

:rolleyes: Whenever I've seen someone "trying" to not act drunk, they look even more drunk! :hilarious:

We usually try to make the ornament reflect something to do with our trip – either where we stayed, something that happened, some new ride we enjoyed, etc. This one took some creativity and searching, but I think it is strikingly appropriate:

image-jpeg.164317

This is so apropros and so funny!! :joyfull:

Since Craig brought it up, we discussed the new chef & menu. Interesting conversation, and I'll just leave it at that.

Oh, I wish I could have been a fly on the wall to hear that conversation?!! ;)

Loved your TR!!! Very entertaining, indeed. You had some good restaurant reviews, too. Happy to hear that you both arrived home safe and sound, and that Kylie was there to welcome you!!

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
You're killing me. It's 8am and I'm already craving this. Someone on another trip report tried the sliders trio and margarita flight and loved both. Never been to BD. That may have to change this Dec.

The sliders was the one thing we didn't try, specifically to save for next time. LOL. I still can't remember the third thing...will have to ask my backup memory bank, er, Brian.

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
Ack! Our anniversary 2017 (the V&A one) coincides with the Night of Joy (which is not a night, it's two nights.) More crowded, and more likely to run into people wearing T-shirts letting us know they'd like us to roast for all eternity. (At least, that's what I remember from the last time they coincided several years ago.)

Maybe the 8th won't be so bad since it's the first night, and we'll be at a mega-dinner in the evening. We would be leaving on the 9th (can't go to parks on weekends anyway with our APs.)

I may have to invest in two "Groom" ears hats LOL.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom