1st Trip

Paul

Hi All,
My family and I are making our first trip to Orlando, and we are staying in a villa in Kissimmee. We are travelling from the UK and there are 6 adults & 5 children the youngest 2 being 4 & 5. I believe walking round the parks all day in the heat can be pretty tiring and will be hard work for the young ones not to mention the not so young. Can anyone suggest an ideal scenario for an enjoyable day getting round the parks keeping the young children happy and also the young at heart who want to enjoy all the thrill rides?
Will we have problems getting a table for 11 people when dining out?
Cheers
Paul.

Spocky

When i was in WDW in april/may 2000 it was really hot. What we did was go to a park early, stay till 1 or 2 pm and then went back to the hotel for a swim and a rest. Then early in the evening we went back to the park.
It's allways a problem to dine with 11 people.

Upvote 0

dopey

paul, congrats on your first trip to wdw! you're in for a great experience you and your family will never forget.

in addition to spocky's good advice about getting to the parks early and returning to your hotel for a nap or swim, bring water bottles that you can attach to your belt and refill as you tour. also, mix up the times you ride and the times you spend watching shows, many of which are indoors. this'll give you a chance to cool off and catch your second wind.

many disney touring books recommend that if you're staying off property, it's best to avoid the parks that have early-entry days. most on-property guests go on these days because they can get in as early as 7:30 a.m. the parks fill up by 11 a.m. and stay pretty crowded all day.

the early-entry days are:

magic kingdom: mondays, thursdays and saturdays
epcot: tuesdays and fridays
disney-mgm: wednesdays and sundays

as for dining with 11 people, try to make as many priority-seating reservations as you can in advance. also, try to eat at off-hours so you miss the crowds.

hope that's helpful. have a blast!

Upvote 0

Disneynut

Just remember to pace yourself and have fun. The best part of Disney is the whole experience. You don't have to run around and try to get on every ride to have a good time. Also make sure to get strollers for the young ones. Good luck.

Upvote 0

Tramp

Paul....

I'm with Imagineer on this one...not a whole lot of advice...
EXCEPT....when you have little kids, the heat is your enemy...make sure the little ones don't get overheated without you knowing it...especially if you push them around in a stroller...they are very close to the ground and the heat reflecting off the pavement can be brutal.

Leaving the park by 1pm or so is good advice...go back to the room....chill out...head for the pool....let the kids nap....and pop open a nice brewsky and take it all in.....ahhh...life is great!:):)

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
Don't forget hats & sunscreen for the little ones. I prefer Bullfrog brand; the gel for body,stick for face. Also, we found that bringing a folding fan(the little Chinese or Japanese style) really helped a lot. They sell the plastic spray bottle/ fan combos for big bucks in the park. If you want to go that route, pick them up at an Eckerd's or Walgreens (both drugstores)on the way in.

I agree with everyone. Don't try to stay in the parks all day! I'm usually ready to leave by noon.
Also, the food portions are too large for children. Plan on them splitting one serving, or bring zip-loc baggies.

Upvote 0

mickeyears

HI PAUL. I'm sure you will have a wonderful adventure in WDW.

The best advise I can give you is take your time and enjoy. Remember that you are not going to see or go on everything your first visit unless you want to do it commando style (my DH did this to us the first time we went) or are staying for a month. Don't forget to rest in the heat of the afternoon by the pool or take a nap. When the children or even you big kids get cranky it's time to take a break.

Also, priority seating is great. You don't have to wait too long, with such a big party to seat, if you make priority seating. We always make them when there are 5 or 6 of us for dinner.

The double stollers are great to rent. Only problem is they all look alike when you come out of a ride or show. You may want to tie a bright scarf or balloon to it, so you don't have to search for your stroller. Hold onto your receipt, if you go back to your pool or room, because you can get a stroller later the same day at no charge.

Bring plenty of film for character pictures with the children. You and your children will treasure them always.

Have a MAGICAL vacation!!!! Wish I was going now!!!:) :) :cool:

Upvote 0

markymark

Hi there Paul. Good luck and have fun on your first trip. It really is the best. I just go along with what the rest of the gang have said take your time, go back to the villa for a few hours rest and chill and you can then return for a wonderful evening. Try to take in everyones faces as you go towards the MK for the first time - PRICELESS. Plus just try to notice all the little things that make the whole place so magical. Take loads of photo's and video. Believe me you will regret it if you don't.

Oh yeah, just one more thing. Don't wear a Rovers shirt.
No real reason why - JUST DON'T......lol :D :D :D :D :D :D

Upvote 0
M

Mr Lightbeer

For some good advice you will need to give us more details like,when do you go, how long for,do you plan to visit other parks,the duration of your trip.

Best tip I can give for now is buy yourself a copy of the Brits Guide to Orlando Florida from Smiths etc also the guide from the Disney Store is really useful.If you can answer the above you will probably get more help from everyone.

Attachments

• minspringrmd1.gif
    minspringrmd1.gif
    22 KB · Views: 218
Upvote 0

Paul

Original Poster
Originally posted by Spocky
By the way, at what villa do you stay? Because i'm planning to stay in a villa next year.
Thanks guys for the advice.
C'mon Spocky as if I'm really going to tell you at which villa I'm staying, I don't want my holiday, (whoops sorry this is America, I mean VACATION) spoiling by having Spock, Kirk and a bunch of angry Klingons turn up on the first night just while I'm enjoying my first "brewsky" (presumably brewsky is beer, well I sincerely hope thats what it is!!!).
By the way for all the Brits I will be the red faced one during the last week of July and the first week of August, wearing the Rovers shirt.
Paul.

Upvote 0

Paul

Original Poster
Brewsky

Originally posted by Tramp
Paul....

I'm with Imagineer on this one...not a whole lot of advice...
EXCEPT....when you have little kids, the heat is your enemy...make sure the little ones don't get overheated without you knowing it...especially if you push them around in a stroller...they are very close to the ground and the heat reflecting off the pavement can be brutal.

Leaving the park by 1pm or so is good advice...go back to the room....chill out...head for the pool....let the kids nap....and pop open a nice brewsky and take it all in.....ahhh...life is great!:):)
I'm with you Tramp on this one especially the bit about heading for the pool and having a brewsky.
By the way what is a brewsky?
As your not English I don't think you mean a cup of tea and therefore presume you mean what all us blokes like second best in life i.e., BEER.
Which leads me to my next question which is the best beer to buy locally in Florida, I'm talking about taste and strength, and will I really need ID to buy a drink stateside though I'm 32 years old?
Paul.

Upvote 0

Paul

Original Poster
More info

Originally posted by Mr Lightbeer
For some good advice you will need to give us more details like,when do you go, how long for,do you plan to visit other parks,the duration of your trip.

Best tip I can give for now is buy yourself a copy of the Brits Guide to Orlando Florida from Smiths etc also the guide from the Disney Store is really useful.If you can answer the above you will probably get more help from everyone.
Thanks for the advice on the guides available>
We are staying the last week in July and the first week in August.
Setting off from Manchester airport 11.15am arriving Orlando, I think, mid afternoon local time.
What's the best plan of action for the first few days?
As well as visiting WDW and WD studios we have a 5 park flex ticket to go to Wet n Wild, Universal (2), Busch Gardens, and Sea World.
Have you any good advice on tipping, what amounts are expected etc., we don't want to give us Brits a bad name apart from Jocks & Yorkshire men that is, who already have a bad name.
Paul.

Upvote 0

Maria

Paul,

Since you have two weeks to be in Orlando, take your time at the parks! Try to get there early so the heat is not that strong. Then, if you feel like walking back to the exit/entrance again and drive back to the hotel for a couple of hours, do it, if not, stay and cool down whenever you can. If you have a park hopper plus for disney, you could maybe go to a water park for those hours instead of the hotel. The strollers are a good advice, rent them daily!

It rains a lot in July and August, almost everyday at 3:30pm for half an hour. (I worked there, so I do know!). Carry a poncho with you, you will use it for sure! This is in a way a good thing because it cools down a little.

Check the park schedules before deciding when to visit them. Do not miss the parades. Specifically talking of MK, avoid going there on saturdays, but be there for the parade. get it?

Carry water with you if you want to carry the bottle, if you are lazy like me, do not miss the water fountains! Those spraying fans are fun but do not buy them at Disney! Get them at Walmart!

I can´t tell you about the best beer, but as for an ID, if you look under 30 to the host or waiter, they will ask for an ID. That´s the rule. Always carry your driver´s license with you.

I can´t think of anything else right now to tell you.... just have fun with the troop and take it easy!

Upvote 0
M

Mr Lightbeer

If your not red faced by the first week in August you will be by the second after a damn good whooping in your first game back with the big boys.
By the way ,good name(Paul)must have taken ages to come up with that one,still it's not a puffs name like Jay, now Senor Cerveza Ligera, that's a name!

Attachments

• alt[1].gif
    alt[1].gif
    2.1 KB · Views: 139
Upvote 0

Paul

Original Poster
Originally posted by Mr Lightbeer
If your not red faced by the first week in August you will be by the second after a damn good whooping in your first game back with the big boys.
By the way ,good name(Paul)must have taken ages to come up with that one,still it's not a puffs name like Jay, now Senor Cerveza Ligera, that's a name!
Marky,
Unfortunately Paul is all your going to get with me mate however I have been called worse but not on this site Eh.
Still waiting for some news on the beer can you advise?
I take it when you say big boys you mean Man U, Arsenal & the mighty Rovers as the only teams to ever have won the Premiership.
Your day will come I'm sure but not before Sounesses Blue & White Army have giving you a damn good thrashing.
Paul.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom