1st timer would love more info please.

Greenkai3000

Original Poster
My family and I are thinking about visiting Paris for the first time, and would love the idea of being able to visit DLP too.

We have quite a few questions for all of you DLP Veterans, if you don't mind...
1) When is cheaper to visit both Paris and DLP?
2) Does cheap mean a slow season as well?
3) Can we do both parks in 2 days, or are they as big as the parks in the US that you need at least 3 days to truly experience everything?
4) Are the parks open year round, even during inclement weather like heavy rain and snow?
5) Is it cheaper or more feasible to stay on property? We are not familiar with how accessible the Resort is from Downtown Paris.

Sorry if all of this has been discussed before so please feel free to move this post if necessary. Thanks in advance. :wave:

Crush Dude!

Back from WDW!Counting down to DLP in November!
My family and I are thinking about visiting Paris for the first time, and would love the idea of being able to visit DLP too.

We have quite a few questions for all of you DLP Veterans, if you don't mind...

Off Season! Times like February September and November are Great! Esp November!!

Oh Yes :D

3) Can we do both parks in 2 days, or are they as big as the parks in the US that you need at least 3 days to truly experience everything?

You Can For sure but Disneyland Parc deserves at least 2 Days!! It is Gorgeous!!

4) Are the parks open year round, even during inclement weather like heavy rain and snow?

Yep they sure are! Try looking up the pics from winter 2010! The park covered in snow is just AMAZING!!

5) Is it cheaper or more feasible to stay on property? We are not familiar with how accessible the Resort is from Downtown Paris.

You can get a train straight from Charles De Ghaul Airport to DLP in 12 mins!! Its brilliant! If you plan to do both Paris and DLP i would do one then the other! Stay in a Hotel in The Disney region but not directly with DLP as they are dearer!!

Sorry if all of this has been discussed before so please feel free to move this post if necessary. Thanks in advance. :wave:

Hope all this helps! Dont hesitate to ask more questions :wave:

RonAnnArbor

OK, let me give different opinions that those above:

PARIS: Never really. Check hotel prices and you will find they are pretty much the same year round. Attractions cost the same no matter when. Some museums and things are free. Check Paris visit sites for the attractions you want, then check. Pick up a copy of the most recent Fodors Paris 2012 for attraction information, prices, and ticket information. They also have good information about hotels. If you want a hotel convenient to tourist attractions AND to the RER for Disney, stay in the Opera area.
DLP: The prices are the same no matter when you visit the parks. Book your tickets online from the US -- they are cheaper than buying them at DLP. While DLP sometimes does some special pricing for its European guests, the same does not hold true for US visitors. The cheapest prices you will find will be online. I usually get two-day park hoppers, and go on separate days, not two in a row, while I am in Paris.

There is no "cheap season" at DLP -- although there is a slow season. Also, keep in mind that French school do not have classes on Wednesdays -- that means that wednesdays at DLP are as busy as Saturdays and Sundays.

3) Can we do both parks in 2 days, or are they as big as the parks in the US
that you need at least 3 days to truly experience everything?
You can easily do both parks in one day during slow season -- although you might find yourself skipping a few attractions in the Studios. 2 Days is way more time than you will need, but you will get to experience everything - and I do mean everything. In all, the Studios has about 1/3 the attractions that you find at the US version, although DLP has MORE attractions, but much shorter lines. Start at DLP - you will be done with most attractions by 1:00 -- go over to the Studios and do those attractions, and you will be done by about 5:00 -- incidentally, both parks close MUCH earlier than WDW parks -- DLP usually by 7, the Studios by 5, sometimes 6.

Yes. And they always have people in them. Don't expect the crowds to drop because it rains. Weather conditions seem to have no impact on European visitors.

Absolutely NOT!....The resorts there are NOTHING like the US resorts -- and are usually considered the "least magical" thing at DLP. You will find MUCH nicer and cheaper hotels in Paris. By RER express train, you will be at DLP within 35 minutes (Leave yourself an hour and 15 minutes from Paris, since there will be wait times in the stations). You absolutely want to stay in Paris if you are in Paris, not at DLP. Trust me, you will be VERY disappointed with the resorts at DLP. Plus, there is nothing to do once the park closes. Their equivalent of Downtown Disney has a few shops, a few chain restaurants, and a movie theater (oh, and a McDonalds and a Starbucks). There is nothing to do there at night. Paris is Paris - you will be much happier staying there than at DLP.

Sounds like you need to get yourself a good guidebook and check out your options. I go to Paris a couple times a year, so I know it like the back of my hand. But if you have never been, get a good standard guidebook. They all provide information about transportation to and from DLP. Beware the Rough Guide. THeir information is VERY wrong about Disneyland Paris. I have written to them with corrections but they have not appeared to care about the correct information.

Another consideration you should look at is what operating hours are available often in off seasons the parks can close at 6 or 7pm and there is often no fire works shows unless its a special event eg we went in March last year luckily it was over St Patricks day and they had a special fireworks show that evening but no other nights had fireworks show that week. Also as mentioned if you stay on site there is only the village in the evening which gets very crowded esp the restaurants as people put off eating until after parks close at 6 or 7 to give them something to do after parks close.

Greenkai3000

Original Poster

Thanks for the help so far...weather wise, what's it like during Halloween (Mid to Late October), and the Holidays (Mid December)? I don't mind very cold weather, but would hate to go when it's raining all day long...getting wet isn't fun. :shrug:

Philo

Absolutely NOT!....The resorts there are NOTHING like the US resorts -- and are usually considered the "least magical" thing at DLP. You will find MUCH nicer and cheaper hotels in Paris. By RER express train, you will be at DLP within 35 minutes (Leave yourself an hour and 15 minutes from Paris, since there will be wait times in the stations). You absolutely want to stay in Paris if you are in Paris, not at DLP. Trust me, you will be VERY disappointed with the resorts at DLP. Plus, there is nothing to do once the park closes. Their equivalent of Downtown Disney has a few shops, a few chain restaurants, and a movie theater (oh, and a McDonalds and a Starbucks). There is nothing to do there at night. Paris is Paris - you will be much happier staying there than at DLP.

Got to say that I disagree with this. The resorts aren't as grand but I wouldn't say they are disappointing. I've stayed in Sequoia Lodge and Disneyland hotel and whilst the Sequoia was OK, The Disneyland Hotel was incredible. You get breakfast too which never happens in the US! I think all but one of the hotels are within walking distance to the parks too which holds a lot of value for me.

I agree that there is very little to do once the parks close though... They really need to sort that out but on the whole, I would always stay on site.

To address how long you need to be there, on our first trip we had 4 days during a VERY quiet January and it was probably one day too long. I'd always suggest 3 days or 2 with about 1/2 in the studios and the rest at DL.

coolbeans14

what you need to remember is that DLP is in 2 BILLION euros debt at the moment. therefore it is quite expensive.

1) paris is always busy, so quite expensive. be prepared for some very expensive coffee. as for DLP, i would say september would be best time to go.

2) yes, in part. the entertainment offering varies, but some things, like the upcoming fountain show, are offered. if visiting september, then some rides will be closed, but opening times should be ok.

3)it depends how thorough you want to be. the studios park can take in the region of 3 hours, up to a full day. the main park, however, will take at least 2 days. even with the fantasyland expansion at WDW, it is still the largest "magic kingdom" park. theres an awful lot to see and do. however, there are some things that you should avoid, such as waiting more than 10 minutes for autopia. there are also areas to explore. adventureland is full of caves, bridges, and a maze through the roots of the swiss family treehouse. you can easily spend half a day in adventureland.

4)they are open year round, and rain doesn't affect either park, except that you will get wet. snow however, is a bit trickier. if its a light snow, then it shouldn't do too much disruption. the parks will almost definitely be open if it was to snow, but attractions might not.

5)i would strongly suggest staying on property. unlike WDW, breakfast is included in the hotel price. this will mean a continental buffet, as well as refills of tropicana. while it may be slightly more expensive than off site, the amenities, and the close proximity to the parks (a ten minute walk maximum) make it well worth the money. free buses to the parks are also regular. the theming is also quite superb. as an example, look at the hotel cheyenne.

P.S. some tips about visiting paris: make sure you use the metro trains, as paris is quite large, take a river cruise from next to the eiffel tower, and be careful. pickpockets are often around, and rabies can be an issue (so steer clear of stray dogs, and the homeless)

i hope i helped:)

Bolna

Thanks for the help so far...weather wise, what's it like during Halloween (Mid to Late October), and the Holidays (Mid December)? I don't mind very cold weather, but would hate to go when it's raining all day long...getting wet isn't fun. :shrug:

Rain all day long can happen on any day during the year. I think there isn't really a "dry" season. However, in late October and December the rain would be pretty cold as well. And in December might even come down as snow...

But, DLP was built for the local climate, there are quite a lot of covered walkways and such.

Personally, I prefer to go there in the warmer months. Much easier to take breaks when it is warm enough to sit on a bench or so.

Bastia 33

DLP is a park very expensive today, that you can do in 2 days , the best seasons for me are May July and the period of Christmas, there are a lot of world and waiting at the attractions, but a new show will be held all night from all month after April for the 20em anniversary:)

Greenkai3000

Original Poster

I guess I"m having to reconsider visiting the parks in the Fall/Winter season. I heard late Spring and early Summer are way better as far as crowds and climate are concerned. When is school over in France and Europe exactly? I might be able to swing a trip if it's early enough before everyone over there is on vacation.

Ralphlaw

Got to say that I disagree with this. The resorts aren't as grand but I wouldn't say they are disappointing. I've stayed in Sequoia Lodge and Disneyland hotel and whilst the Sequoia was OK, The Disneyland Hotel was incredible. You get breakfast too which never happens in the US! I think all but one of the hotels are within walking distance to the parks too which holds a lot of value for me.

I agree that there is very little to do once the parks close though... They really need to sort that out but on the whole, I would always stay on site.

To address how long you need to be there, on our first trip we had 4 days during a VERY quiet January and it was probably one day too long. I'd always suggest 3 days or 2 with about 1/2 in the studios and the rest at DL.

We're going in June, and are contemplating Sequoia or Disneyland. I'm not wealthy, but I also have little fear in paying for magical times. Is the extra cost of Disneyland Hotel worth it? FYI, my son wants to be an imaginer, and we are all fascinated by how the place works. Therefore, seeing the park 24/7 might be really cool for us.

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
^ If you can afford the Disneyland go for it! Though be aware there's 3 connected buildings, each with multiple wings and floors. Only the more expensive have any view of the park. Others look over the entrance plaza, gardens, then pool and parking areas and other rooms.

We did Sequoia two years ago and would stay there again.

Ralphlaw

Thanks. We just priced it for our 4 nights. $7000 plus for a room with a view at Disneyland Hotel, versus $2,800 for the Sequoia. It would be great, but that's approaching $2,000 a night. I don't think so. Thanks again for the advice.

Animaniac93-98

Sequoia is a great hotel for what deals you can get (look online at the UK DLP site for example, or dlrpmagic.com) and not too far from the parks. Rooms are renovated too, unlike Disneyland Hotel.

Bolna

The refurbishment has improved Sequoia a lot. I would recommend looking into a "Golden Forest Club" room there, it gives you a smaller breakfast room (still only continental breakfast) where characters come to visit, a basic lounge in the afternoon and evening (only hot drinks and soft drinks, no alcohol) and one FP per day to be used for any attraction that you want.

Also, just as @Animaniac93-98 suggested: Watch the offers on the DLP website. You can book on any country's website, so it makes sense to shop around. My last trip was booked through the French site, friends of mine recently booked via the Irish site. Deals vary a lot between countries.

The Empress Lilly

Thanks. We just priced it for our 4 nights. $7000 plus for a room with a view at Disneyland Hotel, versus $2,800 for the Sequoia. It would be great, but that's approaching $2,000 a night. I don't think so. Thanks again for the advice.
As with the American Disney resorts, for half the price you get twice the quality just outside the resort gate.

For example, half of that $2800 Sequoia gets you the Dream Castle hotel, a modern/'faux historic château' hotel a mere three minute walk away from the Sequoia:

1157740937.jpg

lobby2.jpg

Their restaurant, called Sans Souci. (I think we even have a poster here named @Sans Souci too)

ViennaInternational_DreamCastle_Sanssoucis_H.jpg

We've stayed at DLP hotels. But I don't do it anymore. Like WDW, at some point you accept that you get better quality for half the price just half a mile away. (Besides, I myself always stay in the city itself, my other love interest besides the one in this thread)

Ralphlaw

Thanks for the advice. I'm real tempted to book at Dream Castle, but I'll have a 7 year old with me, which means extra walking can be a pain. We'll decide in the next few weeks. Thanks again.

m steve

We stayed at Sequoia Lodge and liked it very much. The breakfast was first rate and being able to walk to the parks was worth the price of the stay there. The lodge itself was very nice.

Two days would be the minimum length of stay in my opinion. With two days you can cover DLP pretty well with a day and a half and hit the highlights at the Studios for the other half day.

The crowds do not arrive as early as they do in the US.

My favorite ride in any Disney park is BTMRR at DLP.

Have a nice trip.

The Empress Lilly

Surely more like 30 minutes?!
30? The hotel is directly adjacent to the DLP resort! From the roundabout it is three hundred meters to the Santa Fé, and six hundred meters to the Sequoia. The distance form the DCH to the Sequoia is the same as from the Sequoia to Main Street. Like half a mile. There's a direct pathway on the Av. Robert Schuman.

There's a shuttle too.

Left of the railroad tracks are the two parks, to the right the DLP hotels. Outside the ringroad are third party hotels. A is the DCH.
20azz4n.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom