1st Timer looking for Classic Disneyland Things to Do

mickEblu

One time I showed up to the park at dinner time with an angry stomach. Every quick service restaurant had a line out the door except Pizza Port. As such, the pizza tasted phenomenal. Usually, I'd say "edible" is the best word for it!

Lol... yeah I think terrible is maybe too harsh.

Figments Friend

Ya know, I'm always reading such negative things about Pizza Port whenever the topic of 'worst places to eat at Disneyland' comes up and I think it has to do with what ya'all are ordering.
I go there once or twice during a typical week-long trip I'm in town and have always enjoyed the pasta dishes.
I've had a couple of different ones, and they were both rather good.
Nothing spectacular, but not the absolute mush some are making it sound like.

Now the dining atmosphere is nothing to write home about, but if you want an instant meal that will fill you up for half the day at a okay price this is a option...at least for me it has been every trip.

As a rule, I never buy pizza or pizza slices in a theme park.
Always way overpriced and typically tastes like cardboard.
If you go to Pizza Port, fill your insulated mug or water bottle with their free filtered water and try the pasta!
:)

-

MissPixie

Let me tell ya something, I just got back from my trip to WDW and it was my first since I was 4 years old(I am now 21 years old). It was also my 2 yer old sons first trip as well as my boyfriends 1st trip. I know WDW is different than Disneyland, but since this is your first trip you will be so fascinated with just about everything there. It is all new so take it all in or as much as you possibly can. Sure you will be exhausted by each days end, but it is Disney and that is the way it is suppose to be. :) Enjoy, and have a Magical time.

Figments Friend

Is it a good idea to start with the Fantasyland Dark rides at rope drop and then go over to Space Mountain for a Fastpass and then ride stand by Matterhorn? We'll be doing the extra magic hour for that day if that changes anyone's opinion.

I personally recommend enjoying all the Fantasyland Attractions at the end of the night...about an hour before the Park closes.
Most will be a walk on, or have a very short wait.

The exception being 'Peter Pan's Flight' of course, but it's still do-able if you get in line for it right before the Park closes.
Remember - as long as you are in a Attraction queue before the clock strikes closing hour, you WILL get to ride!

I've done this many times to avoid long waits for Pan..and it works like a charm.
The best part is after you depart, you get to walk through a nearly empty Fantasyland and see how beautiful it really is without all the mobs of people blocking all the scenery.
;)

I've had some great experiences riding everything one after another with little waiting during that time, and the night time lighting makes it appear all the more magical.

This strategy may however backfire depending on the Park hours for the day you plan to visit ( as Fireworks presentations can close off sections of the area ).
Check the times schedule on the day you visit to see when the fireworks happen and when the Park closes.
If you are able to, hit Fantasyland and 'do it all' that last hour.
Remember, get in line for 'Pan' right before closing!

-

Californian Elitist

The worst place to eat in DL is Tomorrowland Terrace.

The chicken fusilli at Pizza Port is actually quite tasty. In saying that, I don't usually recommend anyone to eat there. A friend of mine used to work in Tomorrowland, and every time we went to the parks, we always ate at Pizza Port. Guess it brought back memories for her, but I disliked it so much.

mickEblu

Ya know, I'm always reading such negative things about Pizza Port whenever the topic of 'worst places to eat at Disneyland' comes up and I think it has to do with what ya'all are ordering.
I go there once or twice during a typical week-long trip I'm in town and have always enjoyed the pasta dishes.
I've had a couple of different ones, and they were both rather good.
Nothing spectacular, but not the absolute mush some are making it sound like.

Now the dining atmosphere is nothing to write home about, but if you want an instant meal that will fill you up for half the day at a okay price this is a option...at least for me it has been every trip.

As a rule, I never buy pizza or pizza slices in a theme park.
Always way overpriced and typically tastes like cardboard.
If you go to Pizza Port, fill your insulated mug or water bottle with their free filtered water and try the pasta!

-

Thats odd. Since they can't get pizza right it makes me scared to try the pasta. I rarely have pasta outside the house. Well, except for the veal bolognese at Madeos in West Hollywood which is legendary. And once in a while the chicken tequila pasta at CPK is quite good.

As for Pizza Port, it's California, so I expect bad pizza wherever I go.
What's unforgivable is the mushy and bland Mexican food at Rancho del Zocalo when I'm in Southern California. C'mon Disney, you can and should do Mexican better than that.

George Lucas on a Bench

Pizza Port is extremely, remarkably gaudy. It looks like Saved By the Bell.

saved-by-the-bell-diner.jpg

vancee

As for Pizza Port, it's California, so I expect bad pizza wherever I go.
What's unforgivable is the mushy and bland Mexican food at Rancho del Zocalo when I'm in Southern California. C'mon Disney, you can and should do Mexican better than that.
Breakfast at Rancho del Zocalo is pretty good, chilaquiles (i'm a wimp so i don't get the spicy stuff) is to die for and is a must have every trip.

Curious Constance

I'm from the camp that there is no bad pizza in the world, so I can eat at Pizza Port, and have a few times. Not amazing, but edible. The prices though for the size of the pizza!

Californian Elitist

Name a good one and I'll try it.
I doubt there's more than a couple that can touch what you can get in the Philly-NYC-Boston corridor.

So you haven't actually the multiple pizza joints in California to be able to make such a broad statement? I asked you to name them first.

I tried Mexican food in Brooklyn once. It wasn't good. Doesn't mean I can't find good Mexican food anywhere out east.

So you haven't actually the multiple pizza joints in California to be able to make such a broad statement? I asked you to name them first.

I've tried multiple pizza joints in California and have not found a good one.
You evidently know some places, so why don't you share?

mickEblu

Name a good one and I'll try it.
I doubt there's more than a couple that can touch what you can get in the Philly-NYC-Boston corridor.

We don't have as many good pizza places that you can just walk into off the street here in LA. But To be honest I think there are more fine Italian restaurants out here in LA than there are on the east coast. East coast is mostly that goomba style food which has its place but isn't really Italian.

For Pizza in LA i would recommend Cecconis, Midici and Sette Bello. All sit down restaurants. Except Midici is kind of like a hybrid. It looks and feels like an modern upscale restaurant but you stand in line to make your order and pay.

For Anyone in the Fullerton/ Anaheim area I strongly recommend Fuoco Pizzeria.

Disclaimer: All the pizza I recommended is Napoletan style not NY.

Last edited:
We don't have as many good pizza places that you can just walk into off the street here in LA. But To be honest I think there are more fine Italian restaurants out here in LA than there are on the east coast. East coast is mostly that goomba style food which has its place but isn't really Italian.

For Pizza in LA i would recommend Cecconis, Midici and Sette Bello. All sit down restaurants. Except Midici is kind of like a hybrid. It looks and feels like an modern upscale restaurant but you stand in line to make your order and pay.

For Anyone in the Fullerton/ Anaheim area I strongly recommend Fuoco Pizzeria.

Disclaimer: All the pizza I recommended is Napoletan style not NY.

Thanks for the reply, I'll definitely check out the one in Fullerton. I prefer NYC style, but am happy to go for a good Neapolitan. My experience has been kind of like what Jon Stewart said that California pizza was like a focaccia with a salad on top.
Just found this article in Wired about how hard it is to make NYC pizza outside of NYC. I've heard quite a few people, including Robb Alvey at TPR, recommend Scott's Pizza Tours, they seem to hit some of the best places.
Now, where can I find a good bagel in SoCal? ;-)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom