1st Time Visit for DL Newbie

sigsegv

Original Poster
I've been to WDW many times and know all kinds of ways to spend all kinds of time there, but I'm a complete newbie when it comes to DL.

I'll be in the LA area (Santa Monica) for work from the evening of June 13th to the afternoon of June 18th. I'd like to visit DL at least one evening during that time and I'm also open to seeing DCA and/or DD. I do have work to attend to, so I'm only able to go in the evenings.

So...

- Roughly how far is DL from Santa Monica?

- I'm a DVC member and I have a WDW AP. Do either of these help me get discount DL tickets? (I'm less than happy to spend $50 for just 2 - 3 hours of time in the park, but I'll pay it if I have no option.)

- I love to take pictures and will be bringing my camera (and possibly tripod) with me. Any "don't miss" parts to suggest?

- Finally, (and not at all open-ended ;)) any nice places to eat?

Thanks.

-sig

stranger

Originally posted by sigsegv
I'll be in the LA area (Santa Monica) for work from the evening of June 13th to the afternoon of June 18th. I'd like to visit DL at least one evening during that time and I'm also open to seeing DCA and/or DD. I do have work to attend to, so I'm only able to go in the evenings.

Let me give you a warning: Disneyland hosts Gradnite around the time you will be at Disneyland...meaning Disneyland will close earlier. I think the dates are, June 16th, June 17th. Disneyland will close at 8 p.m. instead of 9 or 10 p.m.

So...

The drive from Santa Monica to Anaheim (with no trafic) is about 50 minutes.

- I'm a DVC member and I have a WDW AP. Do either of these help me get discount DL tickets? (I'm less than happy to spend $50 for just 2 - 3 hours of time in the park, but I'll pay it if I have no option.)

I do know for sure that the WDW AP does no apply to any form of discounts into Disneyland. Sorry about that. :(

- I love to take pictures and will be bringing my camera (and possibly tripod) with me. Any "don't miss" parts to suggest?

You definetely have to take pictures of the Matterhorn Mountain since it is a Disneyland classic. Also, sleeping Beauty castle is more beautiful at night, which is perfect for you since you can only be there during the evening.

I hope you have fun on your trip. :)

sigsegv

Original Poster
Re: Re: 1st Time Visit for DL Newbie

Originally posted by stranger
Let me give you a warning: Disneyland hosts Gradnite around the time you will be at Disneyland...meaning Disneyland will close earlier. I think the dates are, June 16th, June 17th. Disneyland will close at 8 p.m. instead of 9 or 10 p.m.
You know, I noticed that the hours were shorter these nights and thought, "Gee, that's weird. They're open longer on a Monday night than a Wednesday night. Oh well. Must be a California thing." ;)
The drive from Santa Monica to Anaheim (with no trafic) is about 50 minutes.
Ugh. I'm sure it'll be a bit longer when I go after my meetings around 5 or 6pm. I've heard there's a bit of a congestion problem in that area.... :rolleyes:

You definetely have to take pictures of the Matterhorn Mountain since it is a Disneyland classic. Also, sleeping Beauty castle is more beautiful at night, which is perfect for you since you can only be there during the evening.
Thanks. I'll be sure to check them out. I've got some really nice night-time Cinderella Castle pics. The Sleeping Beauty Castle ones should go nicely with it. I'm eager to see the Haunted Mansion too.

-sig

RU42

I've been to WDW many times and know all kinds of ways to spend all kinds of time there, but I'm a complete newbie when it comes to DL.

So...

- Finally, (and not at all open-ended ;)) any nice places to eat?

Thanks.

-sig

You got pretty good answers already. Let's see if I can add anything:

Well, you are out here Sunday to Friday. And it sounds like Sunday is a work night. I would have suggested Sunday eve because of Fantasmic.

Traffic from SM to DL will be very rough at that time of night. You can figure a good 90 minutes, maybe even to 120 - just depends if anyone does something really stupid.

I could give you a couple idea on routes but all will be about the same. I mean there is not much difference between 90 and 100 minutes. One thing I would say is stay away from the 5 until the last minute. The final stretch of the 5 as it goes into OC is narrow and a royal jam. One route would be 405S to 605N to 91E to 5S. Once you tranistion to the 5 at that point DL is about 6 miles down the 5.

DVC and WDW-AP will be of zero help.

What to add to the picture list:
-DCA has some really nice evening shots like Paradise Pier. Grizzly is always a nice picture too.

-DL is very different in size then WDW and that might create some interesting shots. You will be amazed at the size of our Adventureland.

-I guess pictures of our 'unique' rides would be good; Indy Jones Adventure as an example.

-Our Small World building is great.

Places to eat:
Other can probably answer that one better then I. I really don;t eat there much for 'nice' dining. Blue Bayou is very nice setting. Napa at DCA I hear has good food. For simple burgers I really like Taste Pilot at DCA.

Hope that adding something.

RU

sigsegv

Original Poster
Hey, thanks y'all for help with this. I went tonight. Ducked out of meetings a bit early and hit the road about 3:15. Man, did the road hit back and hard. It took over 2 hours to get this from Santa Monica. Basically, I just went 10 -> 5. 10 was the worst, but 5 wasn't much better until a couple miles out of DL. Returning, it took about 40 minutes from when I started my car to when I left it in the hotel parking. Sheeeesh. Congestion problem, no doubt!

As for the park, I enjoyed it. There was a lot I missed and only rode a few rides (HM, PotC, and Mr Toad(!!!!)). I wanted to do the Matterhorn, but the line was crazy and it was getting near closing time for the park (11pm). I ate a Blue Bayou. Nice setting (very much like San Angel Inn at Epcot), decent food.

One thing that kept suprising me each time I saw it was just how small Sleeping Beauty Castle is. :)

Overall, it was fun. Kind of strange too. There was enough there that was similar to the MK that I kept thinking I was in the MK, but different enough that it created some cognative dissonance. Fun though. I look forward to returning some day, but next time with my DW and DD, hopefully.

Thanks again for the advice.

-sig

stranger

Hey, thanks y'all for help with this. I went tonight. Ducked out of meetings a bit early and hit the road about 3:15. Man, did the road hit back and hard. It took over 2 hours to get this from Santa Monica. Basically, I just went 10 -> 5. 10 was the worst, but 5 wasn't much better until a couple miles out of DL. Returning, it took about 40 minutes from when I started my car to when I left it in the hotel parking. Sheeeesh. Congestion problem, no doubt!

That's L.A. traffic for you. In L.A. if you need to drive down the street prepare for the commute to take half hour to an hour. :lol:

As for the park, I enjoyed it. There was a lot I missed and only rode a few rides (HM, PotC, and Mr Toad(!!!!)). I wanted to do the Matterhorn, but the line was crazy and it was getting near closing time for the park (11pm). I ate a Blue Bayou. Nice setting (very much like San Angel Inn at Epcot), decent food.

I'm glad you enjoyed DL especially with the limited time you had. The Matterhorn lines may look long, but they go by fast.

One thing that kept suprising me each time I saw it was just how small Sleeping Beauty Castle is. :)

It's not the size that matters... :lookaroun

Thanks for the trip report :)

netenyahoo

The castle may be covered with a tarp when you go because it is being repainted and refurbished for the 50th. It is supposed to go down around that time, so you may not get a picture.

The parks will probably be really crowded then. I would recommend you decide specific rides you want to do so you can be prepared for the crowds. Indiana Jones, Pirates and Haunted Mansion are all musts. Also try to see Fantasmic if it is showing. It may not with the park closing early.

Have a good trip! Traffic will be bad. Maybe plan some different routes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom