1st Day at Disney ....Where to eat? Not at a park.

Vaughnhammer

We are planning our first trip to WDW September of 2017 and will be arriving around lunch time on Saturday, September 9th staying at AOA. We don't plan on visiting any parks that day, but we do plan on visiting Disney Springs. We also plan on doing the Pirate Pals cruise that evening. It will be myself, my husband, our 4 1/2 year old and 11 year old sons (ages are at travel time). I would appreciate any help on where we should eat that day. If it helps we will also be on The Deluxe Dining Plan.

DisneyPrincess5

Congrats on planning your first ever WDW trip!

DH and I don't go to Disney Springs so I couldn't help you with a dining option for there.
As for other non-park dining options with your kids ages, I would check out the menus and info for Ohana, Kona, Whispering Canyon, Boma, Chef Mickeys, Cape May, etc. Enjoy!

Upvote 0

Vaughnhammer

Original Poster
Congrats on planning your first ever WDW trip!

DH and I don't go to Disney Springs so I couldn't help you with a dining option for there.
As for other non-park dining options with your kids ages, I would check out the menus and info for Ohana, Kona, Whispering Canyon, Boma, Chef Mickeys, Cape May, etc. Enjoy!

Thank you for the suggestions. We are open to eating somewhere besides Disney Springs so these should be helpful.

Upvote 0

Vaughnhammer

Original Poster
Art Smith's Homecoming has been #1 on my list since I started planning our trip a few months ago but.......I am concerned it doesn't start us off with a bang since it is our First trip to Disney. Thoughts? Will my boys enjoy it?

Upvote 0

LeighM

I also vote for Homecoming but I'm not sure if it will appeal to younger children. When I was there for lunch in October, I actually never saw anyone younger than a teenager :) They have the best shrimp and grits I've ever had in my life - and I'm from the south! But if you want something to excite your boys, you might want to look elsewhere. My friend's boys LOVED the atmosphere at T-Rex and the parents thought the food was good. She and her family also had dinner at Hoop Dee Doo Musical Review and that was their biggest hit of the trip! They loved everything about it. My favorite places to eat that are not in a park:

Sanaa - Animal Kingdom Lodge. Good food and the children would enjoy seeing the animals in the savannah if you ask for a table next to the windows.
'Ohana - Polynesian. What's not to like? LOL. They also have activities for children throughout the meal.
Homecoming and Raglan Road at Disney Springs. When we had dinner at Raglan Road we were seated right before they started the Irish dancing and singing. You can call to find out when the performances will be during your trip.

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

Chiming in with another recommendation from Raglan Road (the Serious Steak and Bread 'n Butter Pudding are among my favorite all-time Disney meals). You can make reservations there through the Disney website, or if availability there is limited, directly through the franchise website, which keeps a separate inventory of tables. (Just google "raglan road".) If you want to see the entertainment, be sure to ask for a table in the main dining room.

Upvote 0

jaklgreen

Art Smith's Homecoming has been #1 on my list since I started planning our trip a few months ago but.......I am concerned it doesn't start us off with a bang since it is our First trip to Disney. Thoughts? Will my boys enjoy it?

Homecoming has home cooked meal like fried chicken, plus they have the standard "kids" menu. My girls looked at the menu and are excited to try the braised short ribs next time/

Upvote 0

nickys

Premium Member
We are planning our first trip to WDW September of 2017 and will be arriving around lunch time on Saturday, September 9th staying at AOA. We don't plan on visiting any parks that day, but we do plan on visiting Disney Springs. We also plan on doing the Pirate Pals cruise that evening. It will be myself, my husband, our 4 1/2 year old and 11 year old sons (ages are at travel time). I would appreciate any help on where we should eat that day. If it helps we will also be on The Deluxe Dining Plan.

Depends on whether you want the meal to be a Disney meal, or just dinner. If you want to eat at DS then there have been lots of suggestions and I have nothing to add (I've not yet seen the new DS).

Personally I think I'd want the first meal to be Disney, and since you're doing the Pirates cruise then somewhere on the Momorail seems a good bet. I'd vote for Chef Mickey's. If you don't want a character meal then 'Ohana perhaps?

Upvote 0

SaltyD

To start your vacation with a Disney bang, I'd suggest Chef Mickey, you get buffet food so everyone finds something they like, there are characters and you get to watch the Monorail go through the Contemporary. You can also do a Monorail trip and just ride the monorail around the loop before or after dinner, and it puts you right where you need to be for the Pirates Pals cruise.

Upvote 0

21stamps

If you're looking for something a little more "vacation-like for kids" I would recommend T Rex if eating at Disney Springs, if MK resorts then Chef Mickey, Ohana, or Whispering Canyon Cafe. We just did Whispering Canyon for the first time, it was a hit with my 6 year old...the ketchup thing is pretty funny.

Upvote 0

Vaughnhammer

Original Poster
Thank you everyone for the responses. I'm now trying to decide between Chef Mickey's and Raglan Road. Does Raglan Road have a family friendly atmosphere? or is it more for adults?

Upvote 0

LeighM

Raglan Road is kid friendly. Although to me, it's also adult if that makes any sense. It's not child focused like Chef Mickey but it has things for children to enjoy. Ask to be seated in the main dining area with the stage. At dinner, they will have Irish dancers and a band. They will bring the kids on stage to participate in a dance. It's so cute :)

Upvote 0

Tony the Tigger

For disney springs i recommend art smiths homecoming

Yes!

Seconding Art Smith's Homecoming, when we were there Art Smith was actually working in the kitchen!

Yes!

It's a bang! We were not expecting a bang, we expected to enjoy it, but we were wowed.

It's also casual enough and the food is homey enough that you can have a nice dining experience with the kids. And they will enjoy the food.

Loved it, highly recommended. And if you can't get reservations, just walk in. They don't pre-book everything through the reservations.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom