1st cruise some questions before booking

Seanual757

Original Poster
Good afternoon I have a few questions for those of you who have been on a cruise before. This will be our 1st and I am pretty sure this will become an annual thing for us. We will be staying at one of the DVC resorts the day before the cruise, so we can take advantage of the bus to the port and then come back and spend 1-2 nights at a DVC resort upon our return.

I am looking at booking a cruise for June 2017 below is the info on the room. I have some other questions below as well.

Question 1. What decks or deck and area (middle, front, aft) is best to stay on the ship (this is or 1st cruise).

Question 2. We will have 4 children ages at the time of sailing (9 years, 7 years, 2 years, 1 year) will we need to book a second cabin or will the infant keep us locked to 1 cabin?

Question 3. Any suggestions for the 1st timers.

4-Night Bahamian Cruise from Port Canaveral with 2 Stops at Castaway Cay
- Sail Date June 7, 2017

Stateroom 1 - Number 7606

Deluxe Family Oceanview Stateroom with Verandah

Category 04C

Deluxe Family Oceanview Stateroom with Verandah - Guaranteed Stateroom

Sleeps 4 to 5

299 sq ft Including Verandah

Private Verandah

imahistorygeek

If you're wanting a GTY rate, I don't think you're going to be able to choose the deck or location on ship. Or do you have the room picked out?

I would consider alternate transportation to port. You can find cheaper options than Disney and you may get to port earlier in the day.

Seanual757

Original Poster
On the booking this is the room and deck it had already picked out for us. I have not booked yet I wanted to get some answers before we did book.

imahistorygeek

Our first cruise was a bit overwhelming, but still fun. Check out navigators from a similar trips. Don't try to do everything. Sign your kids up for the kids' clubs and have a dinner at Palo or Remy.

Seanual757

Original Poster
Thanks I will have a look at those reports. Yes going to take it easy not trying to plan too much this cruise we want to take it all in so when we plan our second we will have a better idea what we are doing.

21stamps

My first time on DCL will be in November, but it's not my first time on a cruise ship.
With kids the age that yours are I would definitely recommend midship!!
Also pay attention to what's above and below you. If the two youngest are light sleepers make sure you aren't under the teen club or similar.

Seanual757

Original Poster
My first time on DCL will be in November, but it's not my first time on a cruise ship.
With kids the age that yours are I would definitely recommend midship!!
Also pay attention to what's above and below you. If the two youngest are light sleepers make sure you aren't under the teen club or similar.

Good to know will need to make note of that when we book our room.

21stamps

Good to know will need to make note of that when we book our room.
Do online research, when you call they will just pick any room. I was booking "midship" and the person on the phone tried to put me in the farthest forward room still in midship category (I was looking at the layout while on phone) completely defeats the purpose for me, so I said no. They also didn't know what I was talking about when I asked about the overhang on the balconies on deck 10. I ended up getting a Travel agent, and am very happy with my location now.

21stamps

Im on my phone and can't provide a link, but I think cruise critic has stateroom reports from travelers. You search by entering the room number. It's a great tool!

EOD K9

Thanks I will have a look at those reports. Yes going to take it easy not trying to plan too much this cruise we want to take it all in so when we plan our second we will have a better idea what we are doing.
I've stayed on Deck 6 Midship on the Dream 4 times. We have our 6th cruise booked a few sailings after yours. We were above the kids clubs, but not so much that we heard anything. It is a slight hike to the upper decks if you walk, but you burn all of your buffet calories.
Don't try to do everything. Explore the ship when you can, see at least one show, maybe order room service for your lunch on at sea day. Do try to go on the AquaDuck. Do one lunch at Cabanas if you can. Enjoy the BBQ on Castaway Cay. Just relax and have fun more than anything. If you have any magnets that represent anything you enjoy i.e. favorite sports team, bring them to put on your stateroom door.

216bruce

We are about to go 'platinum' so here's our seasoned advice- 1) Don't try and do everything. You can't, shouldn't even try to.
2) Room location- Depends on the people- If you don't mind walking then there isn't much difference, but pay attention to what may be above you on the upper decks. Midship is cool but can be noisy if you are "high up". Also, rooms near elevators can be noisy at all times. We don't mind a walk for quiet.
3) We recommend the Disney transport. A few bucks more at this point doesn't matter and it's worry-free.
3) Castaway Cay. Start early and make them drag you off the island.
4) Relax, enjoy and the Mouse takes care of the rest.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom