1972 Super8 WDW Home Movie restored in HD - Final Film Released!

wdwms

Original Poster
475188396_295x166.jpg

In 1972 my grandparents took a road trip from New Jersey to Florida...armed with AAA highlighted maps of the I-95 east coast corridor they stopped at South of the Border, Marineland, Busch Gardens, Walt Disney World and a host of other attractions. To this day I still have the 3-ring binder that contains the handwritten account of their entire itinerary; hand written mileage logs, fuel stops, and notes. For many years I've had in my possession 700 feet of Super8 film taken by my grandparents that documented their entire trip. Recently, I had the footage converted and began to apply my film restoration techniques to the transfer. It's wonderful to see my late grandparents again and all the places they visited. What you see below is in the order that they filmed it; its as it happened.

The two reels together have a runtime of just over 40 minutes, but hidden in the middle of two reels is what I want to share with you - a bit over 9 minutes of rare early WDW home movie footage. What you are about to see is probably some of the earliest and most pristine looking film from Walt Disney World that you have ever seen. You'll be taken back to a time when Tomorrowland was incomplete, the old Frontierland Station still welcomed trains, the long lost West Street is adorned with flowers and you could see the Nautilus patrol the lagoon from the Skyway.

For those interested, the conversion and restoration process started with the original Super8 film being scanned in at a 1920x1080 resolution by Pixcel.com. I then applied a number of filters to remove grain, stabilize, sharpen and improve the color. From their I upconverted the film from its original 18 frames per second to 30 frames per second, this reduces flicker and jerky motion.

I have put in a lot of time refining my scripts and tuning the filters to ensure that the end result is nothing but the best. I was lucky that the film was in near perfect condition after 42 years of storage, making the conversion process a bit easier. I appreciate everyone's input and patience while I completed the restoration process. This is not the last; next up is the Magic Kingdom Parade from 1972...then we tackle 1975, 1978 and 1980.

With that said, enjoy our first Super8 film restoration!

Video here: https://www.retrodisneyworld.com/retrodisneyworld/imageworks-film-restoration-blog/1972-wdw-home-movie-in-hd-final-restoration

EaglesfanNJ

Thanks for sharing!! This is amazing video! My initial thought, after the quality of video of course... where are the throngs of people lol? A simpler time it seems. Nicely done!

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I miss that sub. Agree with Eagles, where are the crowds? And how pristine everything looks. You don't get a view of the Contemporary like that from the train anymore. Oh, to go back to the days where the characters would wander around the park, without handlers.

cosmicray

WOW! Amazing video, I can't believe the video quality of it alone, it runs so smooth, unlike the normal jumpiness of Super 8/8mm film! And I love this look back to retro Magic Kingdom, thanks for sharing! :)

Tom

Beta Return
WOW! Amazing video, I can't believe the video quality of it alone, it runs so smooth, unlike the normal jumpiness of Super 8/8mm film! And I love this look back to retro Magic Kingdom, thanks for sharing! :)

It is remarkably clear and smooth....although a few times I was expecting to see a motorcade go by with a not-so-happy ending :eek:

Tom

Beta Return
I miss that sub. Agree with Eagles, where are the crowds? And how pristine everything looks. You don't get a view of the Contemporary like that from the train anymore. Oh, to go back to the days where the characters would wander around the park, without handlers.

It's amazing how clear and open everything is. No trees behind the riverboat or "Tomorrowland".

disney4life2008

WOW!!!! It takes a lot to impress me but this is exceptionally impressive. Comparing the old Magic Kingdom (even up until the late 1990s) breaks my heart to now. MK is still magical but it is severely over flowing - value season is slowly becoming no more; and the relaxation and wander of being at MK is going away.

wdwms

Original Poster
Thanks for all the positive comments. We enjoyed working on this project, MUCH more to come!

We're working to narrow down the time of year this was shot. Their are clues in the other parts of the 700 feet of film that we are going through. The total film runs 43 minutes or so, 9 is of Magic Kingdom and 2 is of the MK Parade (will be released soon on our website). The rest is of different attractions in and around Florida.

As my grandparents pull back into their house in New Jersey; you see my grandmother in shorts. Indicating that this is quite possibly summer 1972. However we need to line that up with any other clues we find.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom