1970's Walt Disney World photos.

Dragonrider1227

I love these pictures. Those were the days. No planning on where to go, no reservations days ahead a time, no spread sheets color coded(now we have an app for that on the iPhones we care). Oh and since no cellphones just enjoying the park. No scooters and there was no particular places to stroller park.
I for one to this day still don't do a whole lot of planning on where to go. Sure, we grab a fast pass here and there but we still for the most part make it up as we go along.
It does look a lot more roomy without all those damn strollers, doesn't it? I didn't quite get what everyone was complaining about until I saw some of these old photos XD

Minnie1976

197710DWChuckampCharacter.jpg

Goofyernmost

Not to thread jack, but does anyone know why they removed the Skyway?
(Great pics, by the way.)
There were probably a number of reasons. The three I can think of was that the high class society of teenagers that are produced today have been accused of spitting on people below, just for fun. Also with this current society, if you don't guarantee that no one will be stupid enough to climb over the rail and fall to the ground below you are asking for a major lawsuit. That leads us to the probable real reason and that is that the lawyers told them along with the insurance companies, that because of the mental abilities of the aforementioned guests, it needed to be shut down. The only other (forth) is that is was an incredibly slow loading attraction and more of a burden then an wonderful attraction. And it also (fifth) totally exposed the backstage, roof tops, air conditioners and warts of MK. Other then that, I can't think of a reason. :hilarious:

spoodles

Also it was old, expensive to maintain, and had a low capacity. I also think it broke some basic theme park guidelines for immersiveness -- you could see rooftops, parking lots, and behind facades -- too much of the real world poking through the magic. Still loved it though.

ExtinctJenn

Not to thread jack, but does anyone know why they removed the Skyway?
(Great pics, by the way.)
There were probably a number of reasons. The three I can think of was that the high class society of teenagers that are produced today have been accused of spitting on people below, just for fun. Also with this current society, if you don't guarantee that no one will be stupid enough to climb over the rail and fall to the ground below you are asking for a major lawsuit. That leads us to the probable real reason and that is that the lawyers told them along with the insurance companies, that because of the mental abilities of the aforementioned guests, it needed to be shut down. The only other (forth) is that is was an incredibly slow loading attraction and more of a burden then an wonderful attraction. And it also (fifth) totally exposed the backstage, roof tops, air conditioners and warts of MK. Other then that, I can't think of a reason. :hilarious:
While I agree there are a number of reasons for it (they were shutdown in a lot of theme parks across the country), I think the key for Disney doing it was the maintenance man who fell to his death.

Goofyernmost

While I agree there are a number of reasons for it (they were shutdown in a lot of theme parks across the country), I think the key for Disney doing it was the maintenance man who fell to his death.
Nah, that might have been the excuse, but it certainly wasn't the reason. Accidents happen, if attractions were shut down every time someone is killed or injured our theme park visits would be more in line with just walking in an empty field. I don't think that they even thought about it as an excuse.

MaryJaneP

Fell? I heard he was crushed/knocked out of the Fantasyland building at the end of the skyway.

ExtinctJenn

Fell? I heard he was crushed/knocked out of the Fantasyland building at the end of the skyway.
I believe he was knocked out but held onto a gondola and then fell when he couldn't hold on anymore.
Nah, that might have been the excuse, but it certainly wasn't the reason. Accidents happen, if attractions were shut down every time someone is killed or injured our theme park visits would be more in line with just walking in an empty field. I don't think that they even thought about it as an excuse.
Sure that's often true but I'm saying I think that kind of pushed them over the fence they were sitting on trying to decide whether or not to do it.

Goofyernmost

No, there was a CM killed in the old CoP building in DL. At the time it was called "America Sings". She got caught and wedged as the wall moved and connected between scenes. That also explains a thread from a long time ago where everyone was upset because recently a CM seemed, to them, very rude because he was literally screaming via intercom, for people to sit down and not attempt to leave the theater until the show was over.

Sure that's often true but I'm saying I think that kind of pushed them over the fence they were sitting on trying to decide whether or not to do it.
I guess that I just wouldn't use the words, pushed them over the fence. Skyway was a very popular ride and they knew that if they closed it with no other reason then they were worried about liability issues or you seeing something that they didn't want you to see, all hell would break loose. I don't remember if that excuse was ever used for closing it, but if it was I think it was more of an opportunity then a push. It is a lot easier to understand if you can begin the sentence with "In light of the recent tragedy on Skyway we feel that for the safety of our guests, we are going to shut it down permanently."

spoodles

For what it's worth, from http://land.allears.net/blogs/jackspence/2009/09/magic_kingdom_skyway_1.html:

"It is often reported, incorrectly, that the Magic Kingdom closed the Skyway due to the death of a custodial cast member working on the attraction. Although it is true that Raymond Barlow was accidentally killed while cleaning a narrow Skyway platform, this had nothing to do with the decision to shutter the ride. Disneyland and Tokyo Disneyland had both closed their versions of this attraction before this death occurred. The decision to close all of the Skyways was strictly economical. These attractions were old and expensive to run and maintain. Also, they had low capacities. This made it harder and harder to justify on a “dollar spent per guest ride” basis. Combine this with the constant problem of teenagers spitting and throwing things on the guests below and it’s not hard to understand why Disney said “Enough.” The Magic Kingdom Skyway closed on November 9, 1999."

ABQ

It's a shame. I'm glad they still have skyways at both Sea World and the Zoo in San Diego. Especially the latter as it actually saves on the old shin splints from going up and down all the hills at the SD Zoo.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom