1930's "Monsters" Halloween Horror Nights Open Brainstorming (Uniting Universal Round Two)

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
I'm liking using Wolfman and Dracula as the scare zones. They've both been done as mazes in the modern area so that would be a nice twist, plus we need scare zones. It'd be wonderful if we could do a whole German Expressionist sub-area, but at the same time I worry that would take away from the Universal Monsters theme. The only reason I wanted to include Nosferatu is for the obvious connection to Dracula. As for Abbott and Costello, looking into the film I realized that the whole third act actually takes place in a House of Horrors museum, and the whole gag is Bud and Lou are running around the museum with all kinds of fake monster props as the real monsters are fighting with each other and causing chaos. I think this would work great for the maze. Imagine the queue being the outside of the House of Horrors featuring a few wax sculptures of monsters you might see inside, then once you get inside we can play audio of Abbott and Costello reacting to the monsters as we realize the actual characters have taken up residence in the maze.

JokersWild

Just going to poke in real quick to talk about classic horror silent films, my favorite thing.

You can't leave out The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari or The Golem if you're going to do a collaboration of all the silent films. They are too perfect to not include.
Jesus, The Golem? Caligari absolutely, or some sort of German Expressionist tribute maze, but The Golem is a bit obscure even for me :p. You do have a point, though. We're not delving into silent cinema quite enough.

Lon Chaney could be an interesting angle. He's had enough iconic characters to support multiple mazes. I really like the Hunchback idea that Space suggested. I have kind of a weird idea that could play off of Chaney's "Man of 1000 Faces" title. Perhaps a monster that shifts appearance? Like there's this monster that's following guests through the maze while taking the form of various silent film monsters. Could be an interesting update. Super weird, though. Thoughts?

Miru

I am fond of the idea for The Man Who Laughs, with the "lost media" motifs. And I wonder if this place should be family-friendly (to complement a more traditional HHH) or truly horrific. In the latter case, also take cues from the 1999 Mummy series, the Hammer Horror films, and maybe even the Dark Universe. In the former case, I agree Abbot and Costello should appear. Could they even be joined by Woody Woodpecker?

And I also think we could have lesser-known movies combined into mazes together.

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Alright guys, I apologize greatly for not being on the past couple days. I'm loving the idea of a "Man of a Thousand Faces" maze. As for the tone of this event, it's definitely lighter than a usual HHN but should still have some genuine scares. Creature from the Black Lagoon should be our headlining "scary" maze with Abbot and Costello as the headlining light-hearted maze. Everything else should be somewhere in the middle. Going off of the "lost media" idea, what if we took that cue for more than one maze.

We could have a "Man of a Thousand Faces" maze with the Man Who Laughs as the main "monster" and the center of the story. By the same token I could totally see the Nosferatu maze drawing inspiration from the real life story of Max Schrek who was essentially the Heath Ledger of his day as he completely lost his mind playing the Count and was never mentally the same after the film. With Nosferatu we could have it be a tour of the sets but Max Shreck shows up as the Count to terrorize us. Also, should we include a light-switch gag in Nosferatu just for the lulz. ;)

I don't mind writing up most of this but it'd be great if I could get some people on board to help with the write ups. As of now here's the list of stuff I believe we have nailed down...

-Creature from the Black Lagoon
-Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein
-The Man of 1,000 Faces
-Nosferatu
-Van Helsing
-Translvania scare zone
-Wolfman Woods scare zone

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom