Pre-Trip 14 days and counting.

I guess it's never too late to do a pre trip report, unless of course, I was all packed, and ready to go out the door.

I have been to WDW just about ten times before. If I recount again, this is either my 11th, or 12th trip. Originally this was going to be a Disneyland trip, but we switched gears, and headed south instead of west. I live in Chicago, and my fellow travelers thought it was a better idea to head to Florida, and then we could start our vacation in Disney, and end up in Universal.

My friend Annette has 3 special needs teenage kids, and they just lost their dad unexpectedly. So she's spending a part of her insurance money on a Disney/Universal trip with her kids. There will be 6 of us going. I am Barbara Ann, and I'm the planner. I'm the one that knows my way around the parks, and knows how to do it all. By that, I mean, I have used the fastpass+ system before, and MDE as well. So I nominated myself to do all the planning, and my fellow travelers were fine with that.

There's Me, Annette the mom, Patricia the aunt, and the kids, Clarence, Alexis, and Carissa.

We are staying at Pop Century at Disney, and Cabana Bay at Universal. I used Pixie Vacations Travel Agency to help plan my trip, and so glad I did. Everything is now all paid for, and now all we do is wait. Like I said 14 days from today, we will be on a plane from Ohare, ready to start our vacation.

Stay tuned, and I will fill you in some more on the details of our trip.

Scoppin

I am a big fan of Memory Maker, and of course I have added it to our reservation. Now, I just have to make sure that everyone else gets in the habit of stopping for the photographers when we see them. They really do a wonderful job, and it does not actually take too much time to smile for the camera. When Annette and I did WDW the first time, she complained about not having enough pictures when we were done. I said, "well then you need to slow down, and stop when you see a photographer". She did much better when we were at Disneyland, and we came home we lots of pictures from their photopass and on our own cameras. Clarence will really enjoy the special meet and greet at DHS with the Star Wars characters. I did that back in February on my last trip, and it was great. I just hope we come across more characters in Epcot. We kept missing their times in World Showcase. The girls will love meeting Anna and Elsa. I have read that the line moves pretty quickly now.

I am hoping DS gets a lot of M&Gs at DHS, as he and his sister are big Star Wars fans, and this is where I plan on celebrating his birthday.

Glad to hear about Memory Maker as I have it as well. I have a habit of not being in pictures as usually the one taking them. :)

Scoppin

I am 8 days away from my vacation now. It's time to check the weather report. I know I will pack a light raincoat, but no umbrella. Don't want to weigh down my "park bag". Actually, I carry a backpack into the park, along with my camera bag, and my travel wallet, which I wear around my neck, but tuck into my t-shirt. I recently bought a different backpack. This one just has two zippered compartments. One small one, and the main one. I will put most everything inside, in see through plastic bags. Last time I visited WDW, security was brutal, and I want to make the process go faster for myself. I travel a whole lot lighter than I used to. Summer touring is always a whole lot better. No need to carry a sweater/sweatshirt.

My foot is less painful today, so I am hoping in 8 days, walking will be easier for my foot. I need to memorize all the best best places to rest in the 4 theme parks.

Plastic bags, what a great idea. I had heard of using plastic bags for keeping items, such as phone in it, for the wet rides. putting snacks into plastic bags would make things easier at security. I am sure I will be 'randomly' checked each and every day.

Glad to hear you foot is feeling better.

BAChicagoGal

Original Poster
I am not sure what you mean by the free dining plan offered was only quick service. We will be there in about 3 weeks, staying at All Star Sports and have regular free dining plan. 1 table service, 1 quick service and 1 snack for each of the 3 of us for each of the 8 days we are there. You may want to look into the dining plan option again. May be able to save you some money.

Have you already purchased your MNSSHP tickets yet or are you planning on purchasing them when you arrive? We have tickets for the 16th.

I have done the online check in but plan on going to the front desk upon arrival as I will have a number of questions for them. this is my first time back in about 40 years, I am sure things have changed a little since I have been there, and first time for DS10 and DD8.

I have never been a fan of the dining plan, and since we just have 3 ADR's for our group, we opted out of any kind of dining plan at all. Besides, at this late date it would be difficult to get some good ones for a party of six. I/we now leave in 6 days.

I bought my Halloween tickets immediately when I saw there was one evening during our trip where it was available. We are going to the very first one.

BAChicagoGal

Original Poster
Happy early birthday! You should have a blast at WDW on your birthday. My DS will be turning 11 on our trip. It is a surprise trip and I guess a surprise birthday celebration as well.

Thanks for the birthday wishes. There will be two of us celebrating. I plan on asking for a birthday button when I check in at Pop Century. Then I can wear it my whole trip. We are eating at Crystal Palace for one birthday, and with the princesses in Norway for my birthday. Should be a whole lot of fun. I have not been in either of those restaurants, for a very long time.

BAChicagoGal

Original Poster
It's laundry day at my house. Gotta make sure I have enough clean socks and underwear. Then I make sure to pack a few pairs of shorts that will go with all of the t-shirts that I wear. I bought sweatbands, since the temps are sure to reach 90, even though the forecast now says 88 as a high. I got a good deal online on colored headbands, the stretchy ones, and they really help me a lot. If there's one thing I really hate, it's when the perspiration runs down my face.

6 days till I leave. Packing tomorrow.

betty rose

Here's a streamlined look at our plans.

August 29th - Arrival Day at Pop.
August 30th - Magic Kingdom - Fastpasses - Peter Pan, Little Mermaid, Dwarf Coaster, Dinner at Chef Mickey's
August 31st - DHS - Fastpasses - TSMM, Star Tours, Frozen Show
Sept. 1st - AK - Fastpasses - Primeval Whirl, Expedition Everest, Kilimanjaro Safari
Sept. 2nd - MK - Halloween Party
Sept. 3rd - MK - Fastpasses - Pirates, Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion - Birthday Dinner Crystal Palace
Sept. 4th - Epcot - My birthday breakfast - Norway - Fastpasses - Frozen, Space Ship Earth, Nemo
Sept. 5th - MK - Fastpasses Mine - Meet Tinker Bell, Meet Cinderella, Meet Rapunzel.
Sept. 5th - MK - Fastpasses Others - Tomorrowland Speedway, Space Mountain, Dwarf Coaster
Sept. 5th - Departure Day from Pop
Sept. 5th - Arrival Day at Cabana Bay - Universal
Sept. 6th - Universal's 2 parks
Sept. 7th - Universal's 2 parks
Sept. 8th - Going Home Day
Great trip planning, have the best time ever!

betty rose

I have never been a fan of the dining plan, and since we just have 3 ADR's for our group, we opted out of any kind of dining plan at all. Besides, at this late date it would be difficult to get some good ones for a party of six. I/we now leave in 6 days.

I bought my Halloween tickets immediately when I saw there was one evening during our trip where it was available. We are going to the very first one.
I love the Halloween party. Get all the candy you can....

BAChicagoGal

Original Poster
The suitcase is all packed, and I only did that once. Usually, I pack, unpack, and repack several times before I get it right. This time I got it the way I wanted it the first time. Some people don't unpack the suitcase fully when they get there. They live out of the suitcase. However, I unpack totally, and then the dirty laundry fills up the suitcase as I vacation. That way, there's less to pack when I am coming back home, or in this case changing hotels, for the 2nd part of our trip, which is Universal.

5 more sleeps.

betty rose

The suitcase is all packed, and I only did that once. Usually, I pack, unpack, and repack several times before I get it right. This time I got it the way I wanted it the first time. Some people don't unpack the suitcase fully when they get there. They live out of the suitcase. However, I unpack totally, and then the dirty laundry fills up the suitcase as I vacation. That way, there's less to pack when I am coming back home, or in this case changing hotels, for the 2nd part of our trip, which is Universal.

5 more sleeps.
I do the exact same thing. I've been known to pack and unpack more than once. Now, I just make sure my medications are in. And if I forget anything else, I'll do without, or buy, if it's a necessity. Disney trips are going away for us. Too much uncomfortable plane travel on United, Denver's hub. We just can't suffer the torture of short seats, and a very small table, that can't hold a very small computer. It's not worth it, anymore. If the passenger in front of you, leans their chair back, I can't breath, with asthma. Very unsafe, in my opinion. I'll be happier to stay home then fly.

BAChicagoGal

Original Poster
I do the exact same thing. I've been known to pack and unpack more than once. Now, I just make sure my medications are in. And if I forget anything else, I'll do without, or buy, if it's a necessity. Disney trips are going away for us. Too much uncomfortable plane travel on United, Denver's hub. We just can't suffer the torture of short seats, and a very small table, that can't hold a very small computer. It's not worth it, anymore. If the passenger in front of you, leans their chair back, I can't breath, with asthma. Very unsafe, in my opinion. I'll be happier to stay home then fly.

I agree about the horrible seats on United. However, from Chicago United always gives me the best times, and the best fares. At least Orlando is a shorter trip than when I fly into John Wayne.

BAChicagoGal

Original Poster
I last visited WDW in February. It was the first time I had seen the "new Hub area". As much as I appreciate the open feeling that the Hub now has, I miss one feature very much. The small character statues used to be standing where guests could get up close and personal with them. Now they are surrounded by fences. Sure the flowers and fountains, and other greenery is nice, but I miss being able to photograph the statues, without anything in the way. Too much distraction in my pics, when I want to make the character the main focus of my pic. I'll try to get some better pics on this vacation, especially of Pinocchio/Jiminy.

Scoppin

5 more sleeps.

I like doing the same. Unpacking everything and then using the suitcase as a laundry hamper. I also like to hang all of my shirts in order to try to get rid of any wrinkles as much as possible. I don't think I will be able to do this at All Star Sports though.

BAChicagoGal

Original Poster
I like doing the same. Unpacking everything and then using the suitcase as a laundry hamper. I also like to hang all of my shirts in order to try to get rid of any wrinkles as much as possible. I don't think I will be able to do this at All Star Sports though.

I usually hang up the shorts/bottoms, and put the folded t-shirts, socks and underwear in the drawers. I have matched up stuff ahead of time, and that will save me time when I get there. It's kind of a color coded vacation, since I have headbands for the heat that is expected. I might add a hat, or wear one to the plane. I am also considering something long sleeve for the plane, because sometimes the AC on the plane leaves me quite chilly, and sends me running to the bathroom. There's always those last minute additions.

I am glad that my friends are meeting me at the gate, and we aren't walking through the airport together. I am so much slower than they are. I have plans to forward them their boarding passes the day before, since United always emails them 24 hours ahead. A great perk of flying United.

Scoppin

I usually hang up the shorts/bottoms, and put the folded t-shirts, socks and underwear in the drawers. I have matched up stuff ahead of time, and that will save me time when I get there. It's kind of a color coded vacation, since I have headbands for the heat that is expected. I might add a hat, or wear one to the plane. I am also considering something long sleeve for the plane, because sometimes the AC on the plane leaves me quite chilly, and sends me running to the bathroom. There's always those last minute additions.

I am glad that my friends are meeting me at the gate, and we aren't walking through the airport together. I am so much slower than they are. I have plans to forward them their boarding passes the day before, since United always emails them 24 hours ahead. A great perk of flying United.

Packing for me may be an issue. I will be packing for three with no input as to what DD and DS would like to wear. Hard for me to ask them what they would like to wear for about 2 weeks (including driving time) when this whole trip is suppose to be a surprise. It will be easier for me to pack for DS as I can just pack all of his Star Wars shirts, with a few others. DD may be a little more difficult. As what she wears will depend on her mode, not to mention the temperature. I will probably over pack for here; shorts/shirts and a number of dresses as well. Good thing we are driving and don't have to worry about excess weight of the suitcases. A few long sleeves as well as pants will be thrown in there just in case.

I will probably start gathering items next week after they go to their mother's. And they don't return until the day before we are scheduled to depart on our WDW adventure. I think this may be the one time I am looking forward to them leaving. But more excited about them returning. :)

BAChicagoGal

Original Poster
I got the medication that the foot doctor prescribed for my trip. It comes with a lot of instructions, but I'm not supposed to start taking it until the first full day of my WDW trip. Some of the precautions are a bit spooky, but I don't want to borrow trouble, so I will follow the instructions to the letter, and hope for the best. My foot has felt better the last week, but I have been resting it a whole lot. Let's see what happens when I am on my feet for hours in the parks. I know I won't be able to do as much walking as I usually do, but I can deal with that.

BAChicagoGal

Original Poster
I am now about 90% totally packed. The last thing that will go in my suitcase, will be my slippers. I can't walk barefoot in the hotel room, or my feet will kill me for sure. I relaced my shoes yesterday, and now they are not so tight on my feet. I felt much better when I was grocery shopping for my family last night. Actually they did all the shopping, and I did all the paying.

Rain is forecast for every day of my trip. Does Florida ever forecast a sunny day? Guess not. I guess I'll dodge the raindrops when they come. Hope they are few, and far between.

Just 2 more days for me.

skyphotographer

I last visited WDW in February. It was the first time I had seen the "new Hub area". As much as I appreciate the open feeling that the Hub now has, I miss one feature very much. The small character statues used to be standing where guests could get up close and personal with them. Now they are surrounded by fences. Sure the flowers and fountains, and other greenery is nice, but I miss being able to photograph the statues, without anything in the way. Too much distraction in my pics, when I want to make the character the main focus of my pic. I'll try to get some better pics on this vacation, especially of Pinocchio/Jiminy.

Like this one?

DSC02611.jpg by James R Sansing, on Flickr

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom