Pre-Trip 12 days on $150 budget (no DDP)

I booked and paid for my solo trip in January when a good promotion came along for UK residents. The offer was 30% discount and a $150 giftcard. I will fly out on 3 November and fly back home on the 14th. Staying at a value resort, no DDP but with PH tickets.
This will be my 4th visit but first solo one. When I booked it my life was pretty simple but in March I got thrown a financial curveball which resulted in me not only spending my life savings but also going in to debt for the first time ever. I HATE being in debt but it was a life or death situation. So for the last six months I have been living of £40 a month after all the bills are paid and debt repayment.
I have sold everything I don't really need (including my tv) but come December I should be debt free and life can go back to normal. I have debated with myself wether I should cancel this trip but it was a package so I would lose money if I cancelled flights etc. I also REALLY want to go. So I just decided to keep my reservation and go on my holiday. When I booked it I had all these great plans of going to MVMCP and eating at the bar at CG but all that's out the window now.
I did feel sorry for myself for half a minute thinking about all the things I won't be able to do this trip
and then I realized I am still going to my favorite place on earth!
I have thought long and hard about it but I think I can do 12 days for $150.
Here is my plan:

No Mousekeeping, (I can tidy up my own room, grab clean towels from a cart and switch beds halfway during my stay) this will save tip money.

I will pack my kettle, bowl, mug, tea, coffee, porridge and an assortments of snacks to eat for breakfast and lunch or dinner. I feel quilty about it but I have been taking snacks, tea and instant coffee from work (they are offered in the cantine) I will have enough saved to last me my trip.

I will only buy 1 kids meal from CS and one snack a day.

I will only drink free (yukkie) water.

Absolutely no souvenirs.

Since I have no dining reservations I can be super flexible with my plans. I have made a few fastpass selections but that was more for fun.

BigRedDad

I am glad you are going and have a positive attitude to have a good time. However, $150 for 12 days is going to be painfully hard to stay within. That comes down to $12.50 a day. This amounts to 2 CS kids meals a day (maybe). I for one do not tip Mousekeeping. That is already part of my room fee. I would prefer they didn't come any way until my visit was over. We are not messy and keep the room neat any way.

1. As stated by someone else, all counter service restaurants give free ice water. This is good filtered water, not the sulfur water from the fountains.
2. Outside of the parks, there is free entertainment at most resorts. Boardwalk has street performances. POR has the piano guy at the bar. Movies at the pools.
3. You can resort hop and look at all the things at each resort.
4. I would look at every possible option between now and the trip to find a way to get another $500 saved up. Babysit, tutor, clean houses (or flats), walk dogs, clean pet waste, get a second short term temp job.

CheersBigEars

Original Poster
I do plan to do a bunch of free fun stuff like resort hop and go to a campfire sing a long BigRedDad. I think I will have a great time. Due to already long hours at work and an elderly parent I really don't have time for an extra job. I did look at my schedule when the financial mess started but it is just not possible.

Thanks for the suggestion to check with customs Skishlee, I hadn't thought of that. After the grueling immigration process I really don't want to get into trouble with customs.

LizC

When I first saw your question I was all set to say "NO way!". However, it seems like YOU can do it. You appear to have a good attitude about your situation. I wish you The best, and hope to see a trip report when you get back. I could use some money saving tips for sure!

MickeyMomV

Another thing to concider is that Downtown and several hotels are within walking distance to convience stores (Hess comes to mind). You may be able to grab some groceries (bread, packaged lunch meat, cheese, fruit, soups, chips, and other items) that you would not be able to find on disney property or they may be sheaper to buy. Just an idea.

CheersBigEars

Original Poster
Thanks for the tips Minthorne and MickeyMomV. I might pop over to the shops if I need something. I am trying to bring as much as I can so I don't have to spend my money on necessities and instead spend it on treats.

LizC, happy to give tips on how to save money in WDW if I manage it myself.

CheersBigEars

Original Poster
I am 42 days away from Magic. I am getting really excited about my trip. I won't get to the hotel till about 9pm Monday , depending how long immigration will take. With the time difference it will be middle of the night so my plan is to stretch my legs and get a little bit of exercise before going to bed. Tuesday I will go the MK, I love it, that park feels the most magical to me. I have fastpasses for a few rides and will play the rest by ear. I am so looking forward sitting in the people mover people watching, riding the carousel of progress, just relaxing fun things.
Nothing planned yet for Wednesday, the second day is usually when I feel most tired from jetlag so I will just decide on the day what I feel like.
Thursday is EPCOT day, I love EPCOT almost as much as MK. I have fastpasses for Soaring and some other things I currently can't remember. I will be spending my daily budget on some food from the F&W festival. I don't drink alcohol so won't feel I will be missing out on that front. I have had fun this afternoon looking over all the menus from F&W, trying to decide what will be really worth getting. I will have some more fun later this week reading some food reviews.

Last edited:

Allym146

It will be interesting to see how this goes. Personally, I don't think I could do it, but you sound very organized and committed! Our first trip I brought oatmeal and ran water through the coffee maker and had that and an iced coffee with Starbucks packets I brought. Then just grabbed a banana or something from the food court. I also brought Clif bars to have in the parks because I get very hungry at a moments notice. I didn't do that this last trip and it definitely reflected in the overall cost(and my waistline lol)! Good on you for taking care of the debt incurred. That must have been very stressful:(. I hope you have a wonderful trip!

My only idea is get an "I'm Celebrating!" pin and maybe it will score you a free cupcake or something! Celebratig being debt free!! Also I bought candied almonds at MK and there were so many! They seriously lasted me three days of just popping a few whenever I had to take the edge off between meals. But sounds like your packing bags of mixed nuts anyways.

Doc Disney

I'll admit I answered no on your survey but after reading your ideas I think you can totally do it! It will be fun and a neat challenge and almost a different way of looking at Disney! There was this tv show on Food Network (not sure if you guys have a similar tv show) where they could only spend $40 a day on vacation (haha way more than you are planning on spending!) and it was so fun to watch and see if they could do it! Can't wait to read about your trip when you are there/come back :)

CheersBigEars

Original Poster
Thanks Doc Disney, I haven' t seen that show on the food network (don't own a tv) but I do feel quite confident I can stick to my budget. I am a small eater and I will bring some yummy snacks I normally wouldn't eat, like choc. bars some biscuits and salty mixed nuts so the food will still be special. Most things I am looking forward to are in the parks or resorts so won't cost me any (additional) money. I just put sing a long campfire with Chip and Dale on the list of must does.
I am impressed you will be doing the half marathon! Good luck with your training.

Disney Shib

You can always open a Disney Chase Visa card. I am pretty sure they give you a $50 Disney credit after your first purchase. Buy something small ahead of your trip and then request the Disney Reward gift card a few weeks before your departure. An extra $50.00 could go a long way.

Doc Disney

Thanks Doc Disney, I haven' t seen that show on the food network (don't own a tv) but I do feel quite confident I can stick to my budget. I am a small eater and I will bring some yummy snacks I normally wouldn't eat, like choc. bars some biscuits and salty mixed nuts so the food will still be special. Most things I am looking forward to are in the parks or resorts so won't cost me any (additional) money. I just put sing a long campfire with Chip and Dale on the list of must does.
I am impressed you will be doing the half marathon! Good luck with your training.

Oh thank you…my training isn't going so great but I keep reading Disney things to motivate me haha. I never heard of the sing a long campfire with Chip and Dale! Sounds like so much fun!

CheersBigEars

Original Poster
Thanks for the thought Disney Shib, but I live in the UK so can't get US credit cards, I also personally don't believe in credit cards. But you are right an extra $50 would have been nice.

Disney Doc, I read your trip report in one go. It was so much fun to read and got me even more excited about my trip.
The campfire sing a long is at the campground and free to attend for Disney guest. You can even make s'mores should you want to. At least that is what I have read...

Doc Disney

Disney Doc, I read your trip report in one go. It was so much fun to read and got me even more excited about my trip.
The campfire sing a long is at the campground and free to attend for Disney guest. You can even make s'mores should you want to. At least that is what I have read...

Oh thank you glad it could help with excitement! that campfire thing sounds fun you will definitely have to let me know how it goes

4disneylovers

I have a suggestion about the dish soap. If u buy the dish soap that is foamy and the thin disposable dish clothes you can pre soap them and put them in a Baggie for traveling. I cut them in smaller squares before soaping. Makes washing dishes eaSier and u toss it when done.

I am very impressed with ur resolve to make This work. I noticed u said u don't believe in credit cards. Do u have a back up plan In case u run out of money?

Obviously I don't know ur situation but maybe u could take a little cushion and be debt free one month later.

Zipadeelady

You deserve this trip so I hope you're no longer feeling guilty or unsure of going. This trip is what you need after the hardships you've had.

I do have to admit when I read the title I was thinking "No way" but like everyone else I think as long as your careful it will work. Just please don't spend to much at first and run out of money towards the end. I'd hate to think of you going hungry and have no money to eat.

I was just at Disney last week and was surprised that I didn't have the biggest appetite. I'm assuming it had to do with the heat and I ate a lot less then I normally would have.

Good luck to you and have a magical time!!

Minthorne

You motivated me to look for some other free food related things at WDW @CheersBigEars - I think Restaurant Tours at Animal Kingdom should be a must do for you!

Free Snack Samples
-
Visit the Main Street, U.S.A., Confectionery for an assortment of free candy samples. Cotton Candy is a pretty common sample handed out daily.

Grab Some Cracker Jacks – At Casey’s Corner at the end of Main Street, U.S.A., arrive just before opening time. Cast Members do an opening pitch and sing “Take Me Out to the Ball Game.” While they sing, they pass out free big bags of Cracker Jacks to the guests listening to the song.

Get a Drink - Club Cool in Epcot’s Future World, sponsored by Coca-Cola, offers weary Epcot (You know what EPCOT stands for, right? Every Person Comes Out Tired) walkers eight drinks from around the world (all of which are types of Coca-Cola brands). Taste as much of the beverage samples as you want for as long as you want.

Free Chocolate! - Cast members at Ghiradelli’s Soda Fountain and Chocolate Shop hand out free chocolate samples throughout the day. While these samples are free, the hard part is not buying anything while you’re there. Be forewarned: the smell of the waffle cones combined with the aroma of chocolate is enough to entice you wallet out of your bag. Stay strong, Cheapskate Princess!

Fireside Marshmallows - Camp fires at resorts offer free marshmallows and roasting sticks. Complimentary campfire activities can be found at 14 locations at Walt Disney World Resort. Easiest is to walk to Beach Club from Epcot.
  • Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge
  • Disney’s Animal Kingdom Villas – Kidani Village
  • Disney’s Beach Club Resort
  • Disney’s Boardwalk Inn
  • Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort
  • Disney’s Contemporary Resort
  • Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort
  • Disney’s Old Key West Resort
  • Disney’s Polynesian Resort
  • Disney’s Port Orleans Resort – French Quarter
  • Disney’s Port Orleans Resort – Riverside
  • Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa
  • Disney’s Wilderness Lodge
  • The Cabins at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort
  • The Campsites at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort
Free Snack Samples - Many resorts are now offering cupcakes and assorted sugary goodies in their gift shops, kept in refrigerated cases for freshness. One excellent gift shop that comes to mind is Bay View Gifts (BVG) at the Contemporary Resort. Check the top of the snack case for occasional free snack samples like cookies and fudge. Theme park souvenirs can be delivered right to this Resort hotel at no extra charge, letting you keep your hands free while enjoying the parks.

Restaurant Tours at Animal Kingdom - The restaurants at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge offer free 30-minute tours focusing on the culinary selections and architecture. The three restaurants (Sanaa, Boma, and Jiko) offer dishes from African and India. These restaurants offer pre-dinner tours with samples of their unusual cuisine. For the Sanaa tour, meet at the Sanaa podium at 4pm. To tour Boma and Jiko, meet at the Jiko podium at 4pm.

dancingtodisney

Oh wow, I've just read all the posts on here and I for one would like to wish you the best of luck with your trip! Fair play to you deciding to go ahead and from the sounds of it a holiday is exactly what you need. We are traveling over on the 24th October, I'm from Ireland and traveling with my sister and boyfriend who's from the UK, we're there for 18days and must have booked a similar offer to you because we too have the voucher you're planning to use.

I am running the W&D half marathon while there too so that'll be interesting! You should come cheer on the runners while you're there! Maybe our paths will cross in the happiest place on earth??? :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom