Pre-Trip 12 days on $150 budget (no DDP)

I booked and paid for my solo trip in January when a good promotion came along for UK residents. The offer was 30% discount and a $150 giftcard. I will fly out on 3 November and fly back home on the 14th. Staying at a value resort, no DDP but with PH tickets.
This will be my 4th visit but first solo one. When I booked it my life was pretty simple but in March I got thrown a financial curveball which resulted in me not only spending my life savings but also going in to debt for the first time ever. I HATE being in debt but it was a life or death situation. So for the last six months I have been living of £40 a month after all the bills are paid and debt repayment.
I have sold everything I don't really need (including my tv) but come December I should be debt free and life can go back to normal. I have debated with myself wether I should cancel this trip but it was a package so I would lose money if I cancelled flights etc. I also REALLY want to go. So I just decided to keep my reservation and go on my holiday. When I booked it I had all these great plans of going to MVMCP and eating at the bar at CG but all that's out the window now.
I did feel sorry for myself for half a minute thinking about all the things I won't be able to do this trip
and then I realized I am still going to my favorite place on earth!
I have thought long and hard about it but I think I can do 12 days for $150.
Here is my plan:

No Mousekeeping, (I can tidy up my own room, grab clean towels from a cart and switch beds halfway during my stay) this will save tip money.

I will pack my kettle, bowl, mug, tea, coffee, porridge and an assortments of snacks to eat for breakfast and lunch or dinner. I feel quilty about it but I have been taking snacks, tea and instant coffee from work (they are offered in the cantine) I will have enough saved to last me my trip.

I will only buy 1 kids meal from CS and one snack a day.

I will only drink free (yukkie) water.

Absolutely no souvenirs.

Since I have no dining reservations I can be super flexible with my plans. I have made a few fastpass selections but that was more for fun.

CAPTAIN HOOK

While you may be in "your favourite place on earth" I don't think it will be at all enjoyable with all the restrictions that you've had to place on yourself.

Still, I wish you a happy trip

CheersBigEars

Original Poster
Thanks Minthorne, that is good to know. I only drink water, tea and coffee at home so that will be fine for WDW.

Captain Hook, I know that it won't be the best trip ever but still better than no trip.
I read lots of people have fond memories of their budget trips and I am sure I will too. I am a small eater so I am sure an American kids meal will be plenty for me.

I am already enjoying planning this trip, drinking my tea from my Disney cup while I read the forums and all the tips and hints. Only 48 days to go!

mrdrift

Sorry to hear about the financial issues, we all go through that at least once in our life time. Glad to hear you decided to go on the trip. 150.00 dollars will be tough but it sounds like you will be able to do it. You don't need to have fancy meals and souvenirs to have a wonderful time at the World, so go and have a magical time.

CheersBigEars

Original Poster
It had been though but in a strange way good Mrdrift. Made me focus on what I really need in life and what is important. I feel lucky I have been to WDW in the past and get to go again. Loads of people can only dream of that.

Klizco

Keep in mind that tipping Mousekeeping is in no way required, even though it's a decent thing to do; we did not tip our first trip last year, because I didn't realize that tipping at a hotel was expected. Not encouraging anyone not to tip, but this doesn't have to be the place where you cut costs. Also, the electric kettle in your room may not be allowed, so if you decide to bring it, keep it put away when you're not in the room, lest someone see it through the window. Also make sure to pack some dish soap (I think you call it 'washing up liquid' in the U.K.? ;)) so you can keep your mug and bowl clean! Cup noodles and other dry soups like that may be good things to bring, as well. You can get free hot water at counter service as well as free ice water, fyi.

$150 for 12 days is going to be challenging, but it sounds kind of like a fun challenge to me. Maybe spend some time looking at CS menus online so that you know what's a good value. I've heard of some people traveling with ziploc bags or tupperware containers to take leftovers from meals. I'd imagine that something like the "create your own pasta" that's available at some of the resort food courts, while pricier than a kids meal, could be 2 meals worth of food. just put half of it in a tupperware and put it in the fridge in your room and eat it tomorrow. Some sandwiches can also be halved and saved for the next day. Another tip is that frequently at Counter Service, the menu displays sandwiches etc. as coming with sides, but you can often request just the sandwich without the fries, salad, etc. and get it for a lower price. Also, Pecos Bill and Cosmic Ray's in the MK have pretty good toppings bars, which you could use to stretch a smaller meal into something more filling.

You will also have access to the microwave and toaster in the food court of your resort -- you don't have to purchase food there to use them.

I look forward to reading your trip report and seeing how it all worked out!

Anotherfaceinthecrowd

Instead of drinking the water you could buy a refill mug think they are about $20 then you can have your teas coffees and sodas and share a mug (frown upon I know but doable) think I just made that word up "doable" lol

CheersBigEars

Original Poster
Thanks Klitzo, I hadn't thought of the washing up liquid. I like bringing the kettle so I can have my coffee before I get dressed and in the evening just go to my room to relax and have a few cups of tea. I was planning on bringing a Tupperware container and some ziplock bags to store left over food. I love the cinnamon roll at MK but could never eat a whole one so things like that will be put away for later. Too bad I can't store half a dole whip float;)

As I don't drink soda and don't like the WDW coffee or tea there is no point in getting the refillable mug but thanks for the suggestion Another Face.

CheersBigEars

Original Poster
I will try and write a trip report on a daily basis with expenditures. It will be good for me to keep track as well. I think it will be a fun challenge, how can I not have fun being in WDW having the freedom of time to do as I please?

njDizFan

Sure it can be done...with all the walking and activity you are going to be burning some extra calories though.

Break it down at $12.50 a day. Generally a kids meal is betwen $6-8 that will give you $4-6 a day for snacks(which would be either like a cookie/chips/fruit), generally you would be able to get 2 of them a day.

That's not a lot of food for an adult. the other option would be buying food and bringing it in with you. but with no access to a supermarket you would have to bring it in your suitcase. so a bunch of granola bars, bread, deli meat(eh?), peanut butter and jelly...I don't know some non-perishables. For breakfast a bunch of Oatmeal packets.

Honestly it would be best if you did both. Good luck let us know how it went.

CheersBigEars

Original Poster
njDizFan, I already have half a suitcase full of naked bars, little bags of mixed nuts, crackers, cup u soup ,a few snickers and other chocolate bars. For breakfast I will have porridge and coffee in my room. I walk about 6 miles a day in my regular life so should be the same in WDW, planning to eat same amount of calories plus a few treats.

I don't tend to splurge StarBurst as I am very conscious of my limited budget.
Even on previous trips when I had loads more money I always came in under budget.

alissafalco

You can do it, you will be fine. I would pack a few extra things in my suitcase that you don't already have. Extra snacks, nuts, chips, cereals, to go Mac and cheese (you can heat in the micro at the QS), pop tarts, cookies etc.
If you budget 12.50$ a day like the other poster suggested you easily can buy yourself an adult size meal at many QS places with left over $$

alissafalco

I also suggest eating at Casey's while you are in MK. The hotdog meal is 8.29$ it comes with a hotdog and fries, and they have a good fixings bar for toppings. You can get your free water And that still leaves you around 4$ extra for a snack for the day.

skishlee

Quite a challenge you have set for yourself!

You're coming in from the UK right? My only piece of advice (just in case you haven't considered it) is to make sure that all of the food products (including tea and coffee) that you want to bring with you to the US will make it through customs. You should be able to Google what can and cannot be taken into the country. There are some restrictions around things that seem like they would be ok.

Lastly, when you do arrive, make sure you declare everything or you might find yourself getting into trouble.

Good luck and hope you enjoy your trip.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom