10k and Dopey Challenge Added to Marathon Weekend

Kristia

Original Poster
I've been grappling with this fact too. This year for the Goofy I was out for a week from work and was able to spend a decent amount of time in the parks. I think the only day park touring wise that would change for me would be Saturday (and maybe Sunday depending on the wear and tear on my legs). This past year I spend Saturday afternoon at DHS with the fam but I think this day would turn into a complete pool/resort day if I did the Dopey.

The jury is still out. I think this would be a bucketlist check off if I did this race. Then I would be back to "just" the Goofy. I'm really excited for the Minnie Medal though!
Haha! Isn't that funny...now it will "just" be the Goofy! :)

dreamfinder

Was just going to do the half this year with my DW, but she is pushing me to do an official Dopey, and will then run the 5k and 10k with me. So, sounds like I'm in....... And yes, $499 is a bit of a sticker shock.

Ariel484

Was just going to do the half this year with my DW, but she is pushing me to do an official Dopey, and will then run the 5k and 10k with me. So, sounds like I'm in....... And yes, $499 is a bit of a sticker shock.
Sounds like fun for you and the wife! That should be worthy of a new avatar...your poor pup's neck! :D

LindsayLoves

To add to my above list of things runDisney is doing that annoy me, this one gets me the most: I've followed a few running/"healthy living" blogs off and on over the past couple of years (I use the term "healthy living" very, very loosely...but I digress. That's another topic entirely), and the writers of these blogs will sometimes get the following from runDisney:

Shannon just start a writing a blog and you're in! I have to say this irks me as well - I understand what good PR it can be for them but I do think its a bit tiresome when the SAME people report from ALL the runDisney races, from the VIP tent and also from the Meet and Greet with Jeff Galloway, etc.

Another thing I have thought about...I still like to "vacation" when we go to WDW since we don't get to go that often. I don't see myself being able to not wear myself out for 5 days (day before races plus race days) and only get to relax for 2 or 3 days. Doesn't really sound like much of a vacation. I don't think I will feel like doing anything in the days after. Yep, don't think Dopey is for me. :(

I wake up pretty early for work everyday - 5am which in NYC is when people are just coming home from the bar, but the thought of having to wake up that early 4 days in a row doesn't seem like much of a vacation to me. It would be more of an experience than a vacation.

The real test comes on day 4 in a row of getting up at 2 am and getting on a bus, with your legs getting progressively more worn out.

I learned my lesson about running around in the parks before the marathon this year I can't imagine how little I would want to do on those days just to *rest* my legs for the half and the full. Time to pony up for a nice resort and just hang out there between races..

Mad Stitch

Shannon just start a writing a blog and you're in!

She has a point there Shannon. (How do I do that @Ariel484 thing?) I think the hardest part of a blog is creating the content, but you would be a pro at that based on the long detailed trip reports you create. Those are better than most blogs I have seen and it seems that you like to do them. Copy them to a third party blog, get some followers, and keep doing what you have been doing.

Ariel484

Shannon just start a writing a blog and you're in! I have to say this irks me as well - I understand what good PR it can be for them but I do think its a bit tiresome when the SAME people report from ALL the runDisney races, from the VIP tent and also from the Meet and Greet with Jeff Galloway, etc.
She has a point there Shannon. (How do I do that @Ariel484 thing?) I think the hardest part of a blog is creating the content, but you would be a pro at that based on the long detailed trip reports you create. Those are better than most blogs I have seen and it seems that you like to do them. Copy them to a third party blog, get some followers, and keep doing what you have been doing.
Aw shucks. :D I've thought about starting a blog...I do really like writing trip reports and writing in general. I kept a journal on another message board that documented my training for marathon weekend and I enjoyed that (writing about running) a lot more than I expected to. Overall I just don't think I'm interesting enough to warrant having a blog. Maybe if I did more runDisney races and went to Disney more often than I do...

...but yeah, if I was given the opportunity those bloggers have been given (over and over) I'm definitely jump at the chance.

Thanks for the compliments @Mad Stitch :D

Katherine

Haha! Isn't that funny...now it will "just" be the Goofy! :)
I felt a little weird writing it, but it's true. Depending on what the Minnie medal looks like, it might be Goofy+10k... we'll see though.

I wake up pretty early for work everyday - 5am which in NYC is when people are just coming home from the bar, but the thought of having to wake up that early 4 days in a row doesn't seem like much of a vacation to me. It would be more of an experience than a vacation.

I was so tired after the half this January, I ended up almost napping through a call I'd set up with my friend. I woke up just long enough to talk to my friend, eat, lay out my clothes for the full and go back to sleep. Early wake up plus I'm on Pacific time = a dramatically different sleep schedule.

petersenjp

I just signed up for the Dopey. This will be my first trip alone to Disney as well, so many new exciting "events". The last race I ran at WDW, it was pretty much snowing, so I pray next year is a little warmer. Any how, good luck to all the runners in their training!!!!

GoofyRacer11

I just signed up for the Dopey. This will be my first trip alone to Disney as well, so many new exciting "events". The last race I ran at WDW, it was pretty much snowing, so I pray next year is a little warmer. Any how, good luck to all the runners in their training!!!!
I'm hoping to one of the perfectly dopey runners! Good luck with your training!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom