1 Killed At SeaWorld

trr1

according to a post in the above

"
If you saw the CNN interview last night,you can see that Dawn was in a prone position in some water... probably not a good idea since no one enters the water with Tilly, but in any case, animal behaviorists who have worked with him will eventually have an explanation in their report. This is hard for everyone, and my deepest condolensces to the Sea world family. Lets not forget that accidents happen at zoos and circuses too and Sea World has had no deaths in over 40 years.

but here
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/os-sidebar-tilikum-the-whale-20100224,0,6263954.story

Acquired by SeaWorld in 1992 to breed with female orcas, he was involved in a second incident in July 1999 when the naked body of a man who had apparently sneaked into SeaWorld after hours to swim with the whales was found draped dead across his back.

so 1999 to 2010 is longer than 40 years?:shrug::rolleyes:

TURKEY

but here
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/os-sidebar-tilikum-the-whale-20100224,0,6263954.story

Acquired by SeaWorld in 1992 to breed with female orcas, he was involved in a second incident in July 1999 when the naked body of a man who had apparently sneaked into SeaWorld after hours to swim with the whales was found draped dead across his back.

so 1999 to 2010 is longer than 40 years?:shrug::rolleyes:

Yes, because a dead person floating in a pool after sneaking in after hours and dying of hypothermia is his fault. :rolleyes: He appeared to be a toy, much like Dawn did.

Of course, that doesn't get in the way of a good story by Fox News - if you saw the press conference, the little guy kneeling and ripping into management about policies is from Fox News. They don't bother telling that 2 other whales were involved in the Canada accident or the guy in Orlando died from hypothermia first. At least the Tribune ran the article by its sister paper the Sentinel - note the author.

Bairstow

Yes, because a dead person floating in a pool after sneaking in after hours and dying of hypothermia is his fault. :rolleyes: He appeared to be a toy, much like Dawn did.

Of course, that doesn't get in the way of a good story by Fox News - if you saw the press conference, the little guy kneeling and ripping into management about policies is from Fox News. They don't bother telling that 2 other whales were involved in the Canada accident or the guy in Orlando died from hypothermia first. At least the Tribune ran the article by its sister paper the Sentinel - note the author.

Just because Daniel Dukes didn't die from massive trauma or blood loss (Daniel was bitten, either before or after he was dead) doesn't mean his death wasn't caused by the animal. The other two times Tilikum has killed a person it has been by drowning them by repeatedly forcing them underwater. I don't think there has ever been a recorded incident of a killer whale actually trying to consume a person after the whale has killed them.

The water temperature in Tilikum's breeding tank was reported as being 50 degrees farenheight on the night Daniel died. That's cold water, but the average person can stay conscious for at least an hour floating at that temperature.
http://www.usps.org/national/ensign/uspscompass/compassarchive/compassv1n1/hypothermia.htm
Even assuming he was swimming around either trying to get out or to play with the whale, that's an awfully long time to not be able to find your way to one of the many ladders that are permanently affixed in the tank. I think, given Tilikum's pattern of behavior, it's safe to assume that he either held Daniel under water until he drowned or prevented him leaving the tank (The bite marks were on his foot) long enough for Daniel to succumb to the temperature.

CaptainessKylie

I did some research into killer whales in captivity not that long ago, and the recent media garbage has really got to me! Although no death is less painful when these facts are brought to light they still help with opinion!

Keltie, the young girl who died in Canada slipped into a tank of 3 whales that had NEVER had a human in their tank with them, One of the females was pregnant and so it can be assumed that this new thing in the water splashing around was a threat to her and her unborn calf. Before the tragedy this week it was always noted that Tilly was involved in this accident, and now he apparantly was the only one there some media stories speculate! But It was just a case of he was in a tank at the same time and had minimal involvement!

I always find it hard to believe that we're not missing some sort of story about the naked, drunk man found in the killer whale tank! And how he's trunks being off are noted as his trunks torn off, when I've read articles that they were fully intact! There seems to be something sinister about this whole story if you ask me. But then If I were to go to my local safari park, get out of the car with the tigers and be savaged to death, it would be my fault? or the tigers?

I do hope that seaworld recovers as best as possible from this tragedy, and that Dawn is remembered in a great way. Her story has inspired me to chase my dream and thats great.

But seaworld has had no deaths in which they knew what happened in 40 years. So I have to agree with that statement. They are a very safe park and I've always felt safe on their attractions, or even just strolling around the park (except when I'm on the middle of the bridge and think of Jaws 3!)

sweetpee_1993

Just because Daniel Dukes didn't die from massive trauma or blood loss (Daniel was bitten, either before or after he was dead) doesn't mean his death wasn't caused by the animal. The other two times Tilikum has killed a person it has been by drowning them by repeatedly forcing them underwater. I don't think there has ever been a recorded incident of a killer whale actually trying to consume a person after the whale has killed them.

The water temperature in Tilikum's breeding tank was reported as being 50 degrees farenheight on the night Daniel died. That's cold water, but the average person can stay conscious for at least an hour floating at that temperature.
http://www.usps.org/national/ensign/uspscompass/compassarchive/compassv1n1/hypothermia.htm
Even assuming he was swimming around either trying to get out or to play with the whale, that's an awfully long time to not be able to find your way to one of the many ladders that are permanently affixed in the tank. I think, given Tilikum's pattern of behavior, it's safe to assume that he either held Daniel under water until he drowned or prevented him leaving the tank (The bite marks were on his foot) long enough for Daniel to succumb to the temperature.

Do not assume that he drowned. The coroner's report clearly stated the cause of death as hypothermia. A coroner can clearly tell the difference between drowning or hypothermia because a drowning victim will have different "clues" or "signs" than what a hypothermia victim would.

Also, the term "assume" isn't a good one to use. Stand in a court and tell a jury you "assume" something and you're pretty well done. :wave:

Bairstow

Do not assume that he drowned. The coroner's report clearly stated the cause of death as hypothermia. A coroner can clearly tell the difference between drowning or hypothermia because a drowning victim will have different "clues" or "signs" than what a hypothermia victim would.

Also, the term "assume" isn't a good one to use. Stand in a court and tell a jury you "assume" something and you're pretty well done. :wave:

The coroner stated that it was both the drowning and the temperature that killed Daniel Dukes.

My point is that you cannot logically remove the whale from the causality of the death.

Again, because the average time-until-unconsciousness for a person in 50-degree water is an hour or more (less perhaps if he was intoxicated, less if he was struggling), it's unlikely that Daniel would have succumbed to hypothermia willingly. As the creature did on two previous occasions, it is likely that the whale prevented Daniel from leaving the water and kept him in the pool long enough for him to die.

sweetpee_1993

The coroner stated that it was both the drowning and the temperature that killed Daniel Dukes.

My point is that you cannot logically remove the whale from the causality of the death.

Again, because the average time-until-unconsciousness for a person in 50-degree water is an hour or more (less perhaps if he was intoxicated, less if he was struggling), it's unlikely that Daniel would have succumbed to hypothermia willingly. As the creature did on two previous occasions, it is likely that the whale prevented Daniel from leaving the water and kept him in the pool long enough for him to die.

But again you're making assumptions when in Thais case there are a lot of variables we simply don't know. He could've been under the influence, shocked by the water temp (which he obviously under estimated), etc. The bottom line in his case is that the ultimate cause of his death was poor decisions. And probably a certain amount of bad luck having chose the wrong tank to hop in for a swim. My point is that nobody witnessed that incident so there's no way to know 100% exactly what occured. Everything we have to go on is speculation based on a few clues. Everyone will have different interpretations of what they think happened but nobody knows for sure. Do I think this incident should factor in when deciding proper procedures for interaction with that particular animal? Sure because it's entirely possible and to some extent probable that this animal contributed to a death.

I would be interested to know what behaviors any bull orca display within their pod. What characteristics do they display? Are they prone to aggression? Do they have sharp mood swings? The fact that he's a very large bull orca stands out to me. Eh. I suppose only Mother Nature really knows.:shrug:

Nicole220

^They work so incredibly hard. Swimming in those show tanks is not easy. Even lifeguards and other professional swimmers who have been swimming their whole lives fail the swim test to be a trainer. I've been in the dolphin show tank before (Trainer for a Day...one of the best days ever) and the cold temperature really gets to you, even with the wetsuit. I'm a strong swimmer and I could barely do a casual free style in there, it was so hard. "It took my breath away." That's literally what it does and it's scary.

The trainers are awesome and love those animals with all their hearts. While keeping animals in zoos or tanks like at Sea World isn't the best for them, they are loved and taken well care of.

It was my dream since I was 10 up to about 5 months ago to be an orca trainer. I have a lot of respect for them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom