1 day with park hopper and fast pass the day of visit

TERRILYNN

Original Poster
We are still deciding if we are going to spend the money and visit wdw.. it would be the week of May 16th. If we go we will buy our ticket that day, husband refuses to buy it ahead of time in case something happens, doesn't want to be out all that money. Will we be able to ride anything without this Fast Pass reservation? Last time we went was years ago and you had to be in the park to use it. I'm just worried all the rides we really wanted to do will already be full (or have super long wait times) before we even get there. I know my daughter will want to ride Peter Pan, she's 8 and not much on roller coasters or big rides. Just trying to decide if it's worth the money to go last minute so thought I would ask the experts.

CaptainAmerica

Arrive at least 20 minutes before the park opens. You'll be able to do a fair amount without long lines early in the morning. Lines will definitely be longer later in the day, but you'll be able to make same-day Fastpasses for the afternoon. If you're not riding roller coasters or big rides, you shouldn't have too much trouble with Fastpass availability.

TERRILYNN

Original Poster
Oh that's great news! I was getting so bummed, I'll make sure we hit all of her "must dos" in the morning at MK... then we can just roam around the other parks.

epcotisbest

Yes, arrive early, well before opening. We would not park hop for one day, especially with an 8-year-old. Plenty to see and do at MK and it is much better if you just slow down and enjoy. Much more to do than just rides. Maybe take a midday break then come back later in the evening.

Rob562

I'll also put in a vote that park-hopping for a single day, especially with a kid, is not recommended.

As for the 1-day ticket, I'd suggest that you buy the tickets as soon as you definitely know you're going. This could even be just a day or two beforehand. If you purchase them online (or in the app) you'll be able to make FP+ reservations immediately. Even that day or two lead will put you ahead of where you'd be if you waited until day-of.

Make sure to set up your MDE profiles before you try and buy tickets (you could even do it right now) to make the checkout, linking and FP+ experience go faster and smoother.

-Rob

slappy magoo

Oh that's great news! I was getting so bummed, I'll make sure we hit all of her "must dos" in the morning at MK... then we can just roam around the other parks.
If you're trying to hit all the parks in one day, "roaming" will be about the most you can do. Just my two cents - pick just one additional park you'd like to go to, and go to that park after MK fills up, IF MK fills up. If it winds up being a pretty mellow day at the MK (and those are pretty rare lately), just stay there and keep enjoying the things your daughter would like to do. Yeah, you'll eat the cost of the park hopper, but I think in the long run you'll be happier for it, you'll spend less time traveling, more time experiencing attractions or shows or things that make better memories than standing around going "Where the **** is the *****ing BUS?"

BrianV

I would buy the tickets in advance and then book fast passes. That way you can be sure to see the rides you want to see and then get there early for any other rides.

TERRILYNN

Original Poster
Thank you!!! He went ahead and got the tickets so we can book fast passes. Yay! I was so worried about it! Yes, we are going to park hop...all in 1 day, with an 8 year old. We did it about 10 years ago without kiddos... managed to see all we wanted at 3 parks. We will most likely not go to Hollywood Studios..and we don't do the "big" rides like roller coasters or anything that spins..:hungover: She's not really interested in Princesses anymore (although I did manage to stumble on an Akershus lunch reservation, so we can see them in 1 place). We have a rental car so I'm guessing driving park to park will be faster than waiting on Disney Transport. Hopefully it will go well... Thanks for all the advice!

CaptainAmerica

Thank you!!! He went ahead and got the tickets so we can book fast passes. Yay! I was so worried about it! Yes, we are going to park hop...all in 1 day, with an 8 year old. We did it about 10 years ago without kiddos... managed to see all we wanted at 3 parks.
Wow. I mean, YMMV I guess but we go down for a nine-night trip (eight full days plus travel on either end) in a week and I'm thinking there's absolutely no chance we have enough time to do everything we want.

BrianV

Wow. I mean, YMMV I guess but we go down for a nine-night trip (eight full days plus travel on either end) in a week and I'm thinking there's absolutely no chance we have enough time to do everything we want.

Two full days and we leave with the desire to come back. If we stayed longer we wouldn't feel that way.

Planning two days and hop both days.

TERRILYNN

Original Poster
Wow, I can't imagine being there that long. We will never do that, my husband isn't the vacationing type. He hates parks so we are lucky to get 1 day, honestly. Our entire trip is 4 days long, 2 in Orlando (1 day Disney, 1 day Sea world and 2 days at the beach in Clearwater). First vacation since 2011...and probably last for a very long time. I take what I can get though, and I'm super excited.

TERRILYNN

Original Poster
No we are flying, my husband found some really cheap flights though, so it wasn't bad at all. Frontier had some deals, that is the whole reason we are getting to go. ;)

TERRILYNN

Original Poster
If you were making choices with FP... would you book Magic Kingdom, or Animal Kingdom? Which one gets busy faster? And morning or afternoon? I just chose Animal Kingdom, The Safari, Dinosaur, and Lion King are must sees for us. Now I'm second guessing I should have spent them in MK.

BrianV

Are you fairly local, or at least driveable? I can't justify the cost of a plane ticket if I'm not going to be somewhere for at least a week (unless it's a wedding or something).

Oh we stay in Florida for 7-10 days. We only go to wdw for a couple. We usually head to Sanibel island and veg out after (or before). (Free family house we stay in that is available of we travel in summer!)

It is hard to justify a weekend wdw trip. We live in Boston. But we can get some adequate deals. And we have done it.

PinnySmart

So you are going to start at Magic Kingdom then go to Epcot for lunch then to Animal Kingdom? Just remember AK closes at 6. I guess you could park hop again at 6 otherwise that makes for a short expensive day. I am glad you are getting to go though. I know how it is to have a family member who really doesn't like the parks. Whatever you end up doing have a great time!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom