Trip Report ♪ I picked a pearl and I liked it...♪ May 2014 Trip Report COMPLETED (Finally, 5 months later)

Waiting around to check out (They let us have a late checkout of 1pm yay!)and head to DtD before our 6:30 MDE pick-up, so I figured I'd get a head start on my report to help carry me through the leaving Disney blues. We had a great trip, some hiccups and incidents, but overall we had a great time! I can't upload any pics on this super slow wi-fi, so I will add them when I get home. I posted some stuff here and there during our trip and you can find that in my pre-trip report here.

Who: Me, DH, DS(8), and DS (4), joined later by MIL and FIL
When:5/14-21
Where: Port Orleans Riverside Alligator Bayou

Day One
Technically our trip started on 5/13, but I will begin on the morning of 5/14. We had an early 5 am wake-up call and my bestie dropped us off at the AC airport to catch our 730 flight on Spirit. Despite all the negative reviews, our flight was flawless- new plane, friendly employees, no delays :) We arrived a little bit early and before we knew it we were sitting on an MDE bus on our way to PORS! After a quick stop at Saratoga, we were home!
image.jpg

Online check-in was a breeze and when the CM handed us our packet we noticed that we had been upgraded to a preferred location room in Alligator Bayou, woo-hoo!! We had called and requested building 16 or 17, but they put us in a wonderful room in building 15! Love that pixie dust!
image.jpg

image.jpg

We headed over to our room to check it out.
IMG_1906_zps36e70685.jpg

IMG_1905_zpsb223aeb7.jpg
IMG_1904_zps0f50701d.jpg
fcf261b8-ab86-4c9b-bbf0-352f747c1ea2_zps39302bf9.jpg

IMG_1901_zps0f6a2eac.jpg
IMG_1900_zpse7cd30c7.jpg
IMG_1895_zpsb85a553a.jpg
IMG_1894_zps2ad482eb.jpg

So after checking everything out we decided we'd get an early start at the MK. We go to head out the door and I have this nagging feeling that we are forgetting something important. SUNSCREEN!! Oh no! All three bottles are tucked safely away...in our luggage! I race over to the store, but cannot bring myself to spend $13 on a bottle when I know that we have three in our bags. The skies were also not looking so friendly, so we collectively decided to head back to the room to take a nap and wait for our bags.
IMG_1919.jpg
IMG_1910_zps8ebc645d.jpg

Last edited:

Ember

Original Poster
Slowly adding pics to the day one. Photobucket is being wonky and I am too tired to deal with it right now :)

Ember

Original Poster
Day One Part Two
Our luggage arrived around 1pm and after a generous application of sunscreen, we headed out to the bus depot. We were cutting it dangerously close to our 2pm Anna and Elsa M&G, but thought we would definitely make it before the end of the hour window. We had no idea how wrong we were. We make it to the depot and there are a few couples hanging out. They look irritated, but didn't think anything of it at the time. Twenty minutes passes, then thirty, then 45. Where is the bus? We see buses come and go for all of the other parks. Finally someone calls the front desk and they find out there has been an accident and it's holding up the buses. Ten minutes later a bus finally comes around. By this time it's 2pm and we are really going to have to book it to make our Anna and Elsa. My littlest guy is the biggest Frozen fan and he has been looking forward to this ever since I snagged the FP. We start towards the MK and proceed to get stuck in the biggest nightmare traffic jam I have ever seen in Disney. We sit and wait, and wait, and wait. Our window comes and goes with no replacement times available :( We finally made it to the MK around 3:45 and we are all feeling a bit down. Our normal first day ritual and excited skip down main street is replaced by a frantic rush for the restrooms and then a place to get drinks. (Sorry for the downer, but shadoobie happens, even at the most magical place on earth).
IMG_1929_zps3946788e.jpg

Instead of grabbing boring ole soda or water, I have an idea to help get us back on track:

LeFou's Brew!
image.jpg

And some cinnamony goodness
image.jpg

IMG_1939_zpsfed54aad.jpg
IMG_1936_zps6f5cac24.jpg
IMG_1932_zps8788bb49.jpg
IMG_1930_zps6371a1f4.jpg

The rain started to fall, but we had come so far we didn't let it bother us. For our first ride at MK- Dumbo with a measly 10 minute wait!
IMG_1941_zpsb9b14c18.jpg

Eli got to be timekeeper. He was so excited!
IMG_1942_zps0d9b2bd9.jpg

IMG_1948_zpsebebc874.jpg
IMG_1954_zps66405c3f.jpg

Since we missed his beloved A&E FP I let little man pick a replacement and he went with Buzz.

IMG_1956_zps1245cb3d.jpg
IMG_1958_zpse12a9c7d.jpg
IMG_1963_zps9a616df4.jpg
IMG_1968_zps3068b022.jpg

After Buzz the big guys rode Space Mountain while little man and I went on Winnie and then went to the Incredibles Dance Party (the first of many, many times)
IMG_1970_zps91645bb3.jpg

Then a quick spin on the people mover
IMG_1973_zpscbbe4b99.jpg

And then my most favorite of them all :inlove:
IMG_1976_zps18c526b3.jpg

I did not even attempt to take pictures during this ride because I wanted to enjoy every second of it :happy:

I have to say that the low crowds really made up for the crappy start we had. The lines were super low. We had a FP for PP, but the stand-by was only 25 minutes. I have never seen it that low!

Walk on for IaSW (later in the week the line was 50 minutes!!!!!)
IMG_1977_zps7fafa577.jpg

Try as I might I can never get good pics on this ride. Maybe I should use my flash mwahahahaha. Seems like all the cool kids are doing it these days :rolleyes:

IMG_1979_zps9c0cc95f.jpg
IMG_1981_zps73c1204f.jpg
IMG_1984_zpsf21a690f.jpg

After IaSW the rain was so bad that I had to wrap my camera in plastic and bury it in the bookbag so I don't have any more pics from this night :( But we had a great time. We went on Splash and BTMR a gazillion times with very little wait times and rode everything else once or twice with little to no waiting. It was fantastic! We had dinner at Columbia Harbor House, I had the fish and chips and hubs had the lobster roll. My fish was so tasty! And he loved the lobster roll, while I found out that I am not a fan of lobster rolls lol. We sat upstairs and people watched through the windows. It was a really pleasant experience.

We headed back to the resort around 10 and since it had finally stopped raining we decided to go for a swim. We stayed in the big pool until they kicked us out and then headed to the quiet pool to lounge around some more with a group of people who had the same idea. We finally hit the hay around 1am. Not bad for our first day :)

Last edited:

mrdrift

Sorry to hear that you missed the fast pass time for the M&G. I wonder if you might have stopped by the fast pass kiosks and talk with a CM and ask them if there was something they could have done since you missed your scheduled time due to the bus accident. But you know what I'm glad to hear that you were able to turn a negative in to a positive for the kids and that's what really counts :D. Good to hear the crowd were lite so you could do many ride with the kids. Who got that fantastic score of 999999, I am lucky if I can get 100000. Great TR will be watching for more.

Ember

Original Poster
Day Two- Animal Kingdom and the arrival of the in-laws
Up and at em bright and early this morning so that we could get some stuff done before the in-laws arrived. Headed straight for EE and rode it twice, then headed to our FP at Kali. We then rode Dinosaur (I left my prescription sunglasses in the stupid pocket on this ride and they never showed up at lost and found :( Really upset about that), Triceratops Spin, and DH and oldest DS rode the god-awful wild mouse roller coaster. I hate that thing! We then headed to our favorite spot- Flame Tree for some bbq before heading back to PORS to meet up with the in-laws. We thought we'd have plenty of time later to ride the safari and visit the animals, but even the best laid plans....

IMG_1995_zps194c5ff0.jpg
IMG_2010_zpsab6060b9.jpg

IMG_1993_zps8dc2cba6.jpg
IMG_1994_zps49b99827.jpg
IMG_2014_zps98b9f96b.jpg
IMG_2016_zps71fea46b.jpg
IMG_2017_zps1c5fffd6.jpg
IMG_2019_zps4b165962.jpg
IMG_2021_zps30eccfc9.jpg

In-laws decided they wanted to stop and eat before meeting up with us, so we decided to take a swim while waiting.
IMG_2024_zpsfdcd8604.jpg
IMG_2025_zpsf109dd43.jpg
IMG_2026_zpsc4c1764b.jpg

We met up with the in-laws at the food court and grabbed a magic cookie bar for the first time. This was the only pic I managed to get lol :
IMG_2028_zpse6650ed2.jpg

It was delicious!

Last edited:

Ember

Original Poster
Sorry to hear that you missed the fast pass time for the M&G. I wonder if you might have stopped by the fast pass kiosks and talk with a CM and ask them if there was something they could have done since you missed your scheduled time due to the bus accident. But you know what I'm glad to hear that you were able to turn a negative in to a positive for the kids and that's what really counts :D. Good to hear the crowd were lite so you could do many ride with the kids. Who got that fantastic score of 999999, I am lucky if I can get 100000. Great TR will be watching for more.
I didn't even think about talking to a CM until the next day. I will remember that for next time. That score belongs to me! But we were stuck for about five minutes in the same room and I found the much talked about cheat and definitely exploited it lol.

Ember

Original Poster
Day Two Part Two
After our swim we headed back to the room to change for our return to AK and I realized my very expensive prescription sunglasses are missing. Ding- a light bulb went off in my head and I realized that I left them in the stinking pocket of Dinosaur. It got a little chaotic when we got off the ride, my youngest's seat belt was stuck and in the craziness I forgot to grab my glasses. We decided we'd stop at guest services on our way back in to the park. We meet the in-laws at the stop and oh no way, we are not those people!!! My mil has rented a #$%^* scooter!!! :jawdrop: Why?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So, so embarrassing. I want to crawl in a hole. It really put me in a funk for the rest of the time they were there. I tried so hard to not let their presence affect me, but there is a reason we plan our vacations with just the four of us. It's too much pressure trying to factor in other people, especially when said people rent a freaking scooter that they don't need. End rant. I apologize for the tangent.
Anywho, we headed down to the depot and waited, and waited, and waited for a bus. (Side rant- I have long defended the bus system, but this trip really pushed my limits with the buses. The shortest time we waited was 30 minutes :(. It wasn't just PORS either, it was at all the resorts we visited, maybe it was just a bad week). We finally got to AK and as soon as we stepped out of the bus it began to rain, and not just gentle drops, but pouring buckets rain. My DH runs to guest services and comes back empty handed. My glasses were not turned in :cry:. The in-laws don't want to deal with the rain so we hop on a bus to Kidani for our Sanaa ADR to see if they can get us in early. We meandered around Kidani, taking in the sights, talking with the CM outside, and enjoying the views. Sanaa was able to get us in about an hour early and while we weren't seated directly at a window, we were seated at a booth behind those tables, which gave us a great view. Dinner was fantastic, as usual, but our server was not. He wasn't rude or anything, just a little incompetent and when we had already divvied up the bill and given him our payment he came back and said I'm sorry, but I forgot to add your coffee to the bill and I need to re-run everything. Um, ok. I have never had that happen before. The food and views were excellent though, so we didn't complain. My family shared the pick three veggie and meat dishes, my mil got the lamb shank, and my fil got the tandoori chicken. We all shared the nine sauce bread service. So yummy!
IMG_2030_zps124ea69a.jpg

IMG_2034_zpsc604865f.jpg
IMG_2035_zpsefc3a66d.jpg
IMG_2036_zps30a3da59.jpg
IMG_2038_zpscc3bb070.jpg
IMG_2050_zps4be5496a.jpg
IMG_2054_zps87c18d38.jpg
IMG_2055_zps30cf2959.jpg
IMG_2057_zpsb8734e39.jpg
IMG_2059_zps04370218.jpg
IMG_2061_zps5bd7c9f7.jpg
IMG_2062_zpsd1f29d4c.jpg
IMG_2065_zps0098310f.jpg
IMG_2066_zps3103cd34.jpg

After dinner we caught a bus to DtD where we hopped on the boat for a relaxing trip down the Sassagoula. We were all in bed and asleep by 9pm. Party animals ;)

Last edited:

Ember

Original Poster
Day Three
Magic Kingdom and Commencement Day! Today is the day the rest of my class will be walking in the commencement ceremony and listening to Chris Christie giving our commencement speech. All while I am in the Magic Kingdom celebrating Disney style :D
We were planning on making it to MK for rope drop, but after hearing about the Frozen madness, we decided to leave at 9 instead. After waiting 45 minutes, a bus finally arrived and away to the MK we went.
IMG_2085_zpsdfb749ed.jpg

IMG_2087_zps357406b8.jpg

IMG_2088_zps53daa45e.jpg

Quick stop at the hat shop while we were waiting for the in-laws to redeem their FL certificates.
image-jpg.53890

Picking out bling
IMG_2091_zps37a3483a.jpg

The plan was to take the train to Frontierland for our first FPs. When we got to the train station the parade was going on and we had a great view!

IMG_2092_zpsba19a527.jpg
IMG_2093_zpsaf101722.jpg
IMG_2094_zpsa41b7789.jpg
IMG_2098_zpsd923c4b4.jpg

After the parade ended we went to get on the train, only to find out that scooters are not allowed on the train. So plan one of the day was a complete fail. Urgh. While the rest of the group watched the show at the castle I looked up our fps for the day and noticed that my in-laws selections had disappeared! I spent the next twenty minutes or so trying to copy and rearrange until I finally worked it out. Luckily this was the only snafu we had concerning MME during our trip. With all that behind us, we headed into Adventureland.
IMG_2102_zpsc13ce039.jpg

First stop: Pirates :)
IMG_2103_zps34be7d5e.jpg

This is another ride that I have given up trying to get good pictures on. Maybe next time I'll ask one of the flash happy people to e-mail me their pictures :joyfull:

IMG_2108_zps9b3adaf7.jpg

Up next was our fast passes for BTMR and Splash. I'll have to post the pics from Splash when my mil sends it to me.
IMG_2125_zps184786c1.jpg

After that was our surprise fp at BOG! I didn't take many pics because I took a ton on our last trip. Check out last year's trip report if you want to see them. Our fp went off without a hitch, minus having to reorder our food at the kiosk. We sat in the West Wing and the food was AMAZING! I got the tuna nicoise salad and hubs got the croque monsier. I actually can't remember what the kids got lol. We got a strawberry cupcake and the master's cupcake. The master's cupcake was divine. The grey stuff really is delicious! What a great experience! We will definitely eat there again :happy:

I tried to take pics sans flash so I wouldn't interrupt the other parties in the room so my pics are a blurry mess

IMG_2113_zps473726cb.jpg
IMG_2114_zps54c91b68.jpg
IMG_2117_zps7789a9ea.jpg

Cooked to perfection. So, so good!
IMG_2118_zpse96b06f7.jpg

IMG_2119_zpsea349851.jpg
IMG_2121_zps5eea4051.jpg

After lunch we headed over to check out the completed mine train. It's so pretty.

IMG_2124_zpsaeee7e0e.jpg

By this time it was getting hot and really crowded, so we decided to take a break and head back to the resort for a swim and rest.

Last edited:

Ember

Original Poster
Day Three Part Two
IMG_2131_zps6c72c4e9.jpg
IMG_2132_zps9aa86848.jpg

After a nice break we headed back to MK.

IMG_2133_zps0c74e357.jpg
IMG_2138_zpsde49e049.jpg

First stop- another Incredibles Dance Party, then a sunset trip on the people mover.
IMG_2150_zps8e0e9333.jpg

IMG_2147_zpsb352bbaa.jpg
IMG_2141_zpsb18e581c.jpg
IMG_2140_zps61eee738.jpg

We headed into Fantasyland to introduce the in-laws to LeFou's brew. I know some people don't like it, but we're addicted :)
IMG_2192_zpsdda38564.jpg

IMG_2195_zpsd1785f16.jpg

Little man wanted to ride Ariel.
IMG_2167_zps59532dc9.jpg

Light parade! My pics are terrible!
IMG_2204_zpscb83be82.jpg

Then it was finally time for our Wishes FP!!!! Let me just say that this was soooo worth it. It was the highlight of our trip. There is nothing quite like laying in the grass in the rose garden watching the fireworks without worrying about people blocking you or being all up in your bubble. It was spectacular! There is a tree that blocks the view a bit, but still totally worth it!

mrdrift

Love the trip report and pictures. The one that stands out the most for me is the speedway picture, did you use a special camera lens for that? By the way, you have a very cute family that seems to really enjoy the parks. All I can say is that you were very patient with the scooter situation, so rant away :p !

Ember

Original Poster
Love the trip report and pictures. The one that stands out the most for me is the speedway picture, did you use a special camera lens for that? By the way, you have a very cute family that seems to really enjoy the parks. All I can say is that you were very patient with the scooter situation, so rant away :p !
Thanks! No special lens, just the standard 18/55 Canon lens and then I played with the colors when I uploaded it.

Ember

Original Poster
Great report so far! Love your MIL scooter rant!
Thanks! I had some more choice words about the situation that are not appropriate for this forum ;) But seriously, I have lupus and I don't use a scooter even though some days my ankles feel like they are going to pack a bag and leave me hanging.

Ember

Original Poster
Day Three Part Three
After Wishes ended ( I admit that I shed a tear or two), we headed into Adventureland for more adventure, while the in-laws headed back to PORS.
IMG_2452_zps0793ec90.jpg
IMG_2456_zps423757c5.jpg
IMG_2458_zps6a7760b3.jpg
IMG_2460_zps1bbedd82.jpg

The Jungle Cruise at night is so cool! I don't remember who suggested doing that, but thank you!! I have never done that before and it was worth it, not only because there was no line, but also because it was a totally different way to experience it.
After JC we headed back for a good night's sleep before Epcot in the morning.

Ember

Original Poster
Day Four- Epcot Flower and Garden
Let me preface this day by saying that while DH and I like to partake in drunken revelry, I don't feel that Disney is really the place to do that. At least not during the day when families are present. Heck even when the kids went back to the resort with their grandparents, we still found it to be a little too much to handle and went to the Boardwalk instead. I had heard the stories of these things happening, especially on weekends when the locals come out to play, but I had never witnessed these things up close. I can see why people have been upset in the past. It's fine for people to imbibe and be happy,loud, dancing, or being silly. But when people are slurring, staggering, smoking, puking, and peeing everywhere I have a problem. Granted some of these things were happening in dark corners, so maybe we just chose the wrong dark corners to try to sit and relax. It won't keep me away from Epcot, but I will definitely go on a weekday instead next trip.

On with the show. We had planned to sleep in this day, but woke up early anyway and headed to Epcot while the in-laws planned to meet us later. It was supposed to be a low crowd day, but the place was packed! We hit up Mission Space first and did a child-swap. E loves the playground here and it's makes the waiting much more manageable.
IMG_2470_zps0e472073.jpg
IMG_2471_zps1e94862a.jpg
IMG_2473_zps63fbb612.jpg
IMG_2474_zps4566eac7.jpg
IMG_2477_zps93c79f2c.jpg

Then we headed over to Nemo and skipped the aquarium part because we thought we could come back later. It closed at 5 that day, is that normal? Needless to say we missed it.
We wandered around Innoventions a bit while we waited for our TT fp time.
IMG_2495_zpsf51c66f1.jpg

IMG_2496_zpsf6ebdc0f.jpg
IMG_2497_zpse2b05562.jpg
IMG_2499_zps960b8c1d.jpg

The kids' designs whipped our behinds. Go kids!
The rest of the day was spent wandering around the WS and checking out all the F&G stuff.
IMG_2507_zps5e4f7d41.jpg
IMG_2508_zps1181762f.jpg

We ate lunch at Tangierine Cafe and oh man it was soooo good!!
I don't even know what plates we got, but we shared everything and it was so tasty. Definitely recommend eating here.
IMG_2512_zps69ea2140.jpg
IMG_2513_zps9f7b9306.jpg
IMG_2514_zps320d6200.jpg

Next up: I finally picked a pearl!!! And I liked it!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom