“Full Frame Equivalence” and Why It Doesn’t Matter

fractal

Original Poster

by Jordan Steele

http://admiringlight.com/blog/full-frame-equivalence-and-why-it-doesnt-matter/

With smaller than 35mm sized sensors, you will often hear talk of a camera’s or lens’ “full frame equivalent” focal length or aperture. This can often be a source of great confusion among new shooters, and it can also be a point of disturbingly odd derision for other people, especially with regards to ‘aperture equivalence’. I’m going to try and give a clear view of what is truly meant when someone is talking about full frame equivalence, as well as dispel several myths about it, and ultimately tell you why, if you shoot with a smaller format, it mostly doesn’t matter...

PhotoDave219

by Jordan Steele

With smaller than 35mm sized sensors, you will often hear talk of a camera’s or lens’ “full frame equivalent” focal length or aperture. This can often be a source of great confusion among new shooters, and it can also be a point of disturbingly odd derision for other people, especially with regards to ‘aperture equivalence’. I’m going to try and give a clear view of what is truly meant when someone is talking about full frame equivalence, as well as dispel several myths about it, and ultimately tell you why, if you shoot with a smaller format, it mostly doesn’t matter...

Short version, if you're serious about photography & quality & want a dSLR, go for one of the entry level full frame cameras like the D600 or 6D.

WDWFigment

It's a topic worth discussing, but that article is really all over the place. Those who already understand the myths the guy is dispelling will nod in agreement at points, but the article (by its terms) is not meant for them. If I were a beginner, I suspect I'd still be just as confused after reading that article as I was before reading it.

WDWFigment

Short version, if you're serious about photography & quality & want a dSLR, go for one of the entry level full frame cameras like the D600 or 6D.

Both of these cameras have caught a lot of flak from experienced pros, but after using the D600 for a few months (coming from the D700 and D7000), I will say that in the one area that matters most--image quality--the D600 is an exceptional camera.

There are certainly some features missing that are normally present on other full frame cameras, but if you won't miss them (and I won't), who cares if they're not present? I saw one dude comparing all of the ways it was lacking as compared to the D4. Well, no $#@* it's lacking in features compared to the D4...it's a few thousand dollars cheaper!

thomas998

by Jordan Steele

Not a very easy to follow article and it didn't give enough weight to the one thing that full frame equivalence it great for. Letting the customer compare the apples and oranges when they start seeing zoom lenses on point and shoots. It makes things easier if camera A and camera B have listed their zoom ranges in a way a person can compare. I doubt most people would be willing to spend the time to look at the sensor sizes and try to compare them on their own.

CP_alum08

Photography is interesting in a way that you can almost make it as complicated as you want. You can learn the actual math and science behind it all or you can just go out and shoot and most times the normal person can't tell the difference. I think it's important to have a working knowledge of photography but I don't know if any of this (what I would consider technical/advanced) information is necessary for the majority of people who own a camera. And the people who do find it necessary...probably already know about it!

PhotoDave219

Both of these cameras have caught a lot of flak from experienced pros, but after using the D600 for a few months (coming from the D700 and D7000), I will say that in the one area that matters most--image quality--the D600 is an exceptional camera.

Thats all that matters. Quality.

fractal

Original Poster

There are certainly some features missing that are normally present on other full frame cameras, but if you won't miss them (and I won't), who cares if they're not present? I saw one dude comparing all of the ways it was lacking as compared to the D4. Well, no $#@* it's lacking in features compared to the D4...it's a few thousand dollars cheaper!
Thats all that matters. Quality.

Did you guys even read the article?

fractal

Original Poster
Did you even read my post immediately above the one you quoted?

Sorry - I did miss that post.

As a relatively newbie and using a camera with "cropped" APS-C sensor, the whole full frame equivalent thing was always a bit confusing. I kept feeling that I must be missing something when reading about it. This article actualy cleared it up for me and made me realize that I wasn't missing anything. For me, weight, size and cost keeps me happy with my NEX mirrorless cameras - more so after reading the article.

Someday that may change.

ddbowdoin

As a relatively newbie and using a camera with "cropped" APS-C sensor, the whole full frame equivalent thing was always a bit confusing. I kept feeling that I must be missing something when reading about it. This article actualy cleared it up for me and made me realize that I wasn't missing anything. For me, weight, size and cost keeps me happy with my NEX mirrorless cameras - more so after reading the article.

Someday that may change.

the day that "full frame" meant nothing to me was when manufacturers started to focus on video capabilities and performance and have abandoned the goal of closing the gap between digital and cheap film in terms of dynamic range and and tonal qualities. I don't want to spend hours in post to try and replicate a result that just was with a 5 dollar roll of 120 film.

WDWFigment

Someday that may change.

Excellent reasons to go with NEX. I've heard a lot of great things about the NEX system, and while it's not for me, it is a great option for those concerned with weight and size.

PhotoDave219

the day that "full frame" meant nothing to me was when manufacturers started to focus on video capabilities and performance and have abandoned the goal of closing the gap between digital and cheap film in terms of dynamic range and and tonal qualities. I don't want to spend hours in post to try and replicate a result that just was with a 5 dollar roll of 120 film.

What can I say, I like my holga :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom