‘Glow With the Show’ Ears Coming to Walt Disney World Resort This Fall

Next Big Thing

Honestly, the ears work best when everyone has on the ears. The chances of that happening are slim to none (may be different at WDW, I don't know). It's almost pointless when the entire crowd isn't wearing the ears.
I think the chances are even worse at WDW because the majority of the visitors are only there for vacation. DL can sometimes do it (especially on times like NYE) because they have an overwhelmingly local crowd. There will probably be a media event or something here just to show how good it can work, but I doubt you'll ever see it be much more than something to make more money off of.

orky8

I think the chances are even worse at WDW because the majority of the visitors are only there for vacation. DL can sometimes do it (especially on times like NYE) because they have an overwhelmingly local crowd. There will probably be a media event or something here just to show how good it can work, but I doubt you'll ever see it be much more than something to make more money off of.

That was my initial reactions, but WDW has more pixie-dust addicts that just gotta have it. We shall see.

Joshua&CalebDad

That was my initial reactions, but WDW has more pixie-dust addicts that just gotta have it. We shall see.

As long as TDO's Marketing Monster kicks it into high gear I'm sure it will go off well. I wonder what my wife would say if I decided to postpone our vacation in three weeks by 2 weeks so we can see it? :D

Probably wouldn't go over well. Oh well, there's always the next trip next year.

nytimez

Yep no question it looks great in media shots of the crowd with a full house wearing them.

The other thing I recall, now that I think about it (it was last year when I saw it), is that the continuous effect of the glow is broken up by the glow of all the screens held up recording the show on camera/iPhone/iPad/etc.

Y'know... all the videos people take that they pretty much never watch, ever, not even once.

Sped2424

and a lot of tourists who buy a whole bunch of merch at disney, I have seen waves of the oswald hat ears when they first got big. I could definitely see it becoming a must have for people visiting.

Figments Friend

IMO, I think it looks great on video shot from behind the crowd. But when I saw WOC from within the crowd, they were just kind of distracting more than anything else.

Thank you for this.
I thought i was the only one that felt this way.

I was just thinking about this the other night....how distracting it could potentially be.
There are already so many other *light up, blinky things* being sold in the Park these days that compete with your eyeline during evening entertainment showings..do we really need these Hats, too?

Yeah the Hats are kind of neat...but i agree in that it looks more impressive when you have a large gathering of people wearing them together.

Hey, each their own. I am happy for those who have been wanting these to come to the East Coast.
Nice to know the DL ones will also work at WDW.

karl75

can't wait for this like some one said it's took long enough but after reading through the blog page they will be working at few spots around wdw. Fantasmic could be interesting does this mean the end of the light toy vendors at fantasmic will they just sell glow with the show ears? But with enough people wearing them the effects will be pretty cool.

sponono88

The only people who wear them at DL now are the crowd control CMs who are forced to wear them. If you're lucky you'll see 2-3 ear hats scattered in the audience. It's a fun concept but it never really took off and doesn't look so good unless everyone wears them!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
The only people who wear them at DL now are the crowd control CMs who are forced to wear them. If you're lucky you'll see 2-3 ear hats scattered in the audience. It's a fun concept but it never really took off and doesn't look so good unless everyone wears them!
I was going to ask what the current situation is at DL.

dkosdros

After watching the demo video over and over I think it is really cool technology. Always been a fan of WoC and I think the Glow Ears in WDW would be a nice addition to the shows they have. I did notice that it actually makes the viewing experience better... as someone stated when they go off you see a plethera of cellphones and cameras, but I didn't notice any of those when the ears were lit up. IMO I would rather see glowing ears interacting that a dark crowd with spots of various cell phones and ipads glowing. I think the price point is a bit high to get so many people using them, but I imagine they will keep this going for some time and year after year people will build up their glowing ear collections and eventually the parks will be littered with them. I give it 2-3 years before it really has the visual impact unless they offer some discounts and get them more affordable or a perk of stayin onsite.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom