20,000 Demolition Coming, So What's Next? (New)

he-guy

Original Poster
Sorry, but other 20K discussion was getting long and off-topic, thought I'd start a slightly different one.

Hopefully we see some pics with some progress soon. I think it will be interesting to see the lagoon emptied and construction going on right in the extremely crowded Fantasyland.

One thing that I think makes sense for this area is adding another entrance to Mickey's Toontown Fair. All the other lands have more than one way in/out, why not this one? Also, even if Indy Speedway is removed (not exactly on topic, but others are wavering too) is that inbetween these two empty areas are The Tea Cups. Now I don't think that these will be removed, or even moved for that matter, however I think that if they want to do major refurb to this whole area where Tomorrowland, Fantasyland, and Mickey's Toon Town Fair meet up, Alice just seems to be in the way.

But back to the 20K Lagoon site... While many people wish a major E-Ticket like Fire/Bald Mountain should go there, I disagree. Fantasyland and Mickey's Toon Town are the best part of the parks for those small children. While families with leaving strollers everywhere is an annoyance to park all day as a CM (believe me, it sucks) or to the guest who has to walk around them, I have no problem with thousands of small children filling up these two lands. E-Tickets, or many times just great attractions, often require height restrictions, which just wouldn't fit this area. (I am still curious to see how this will play out with Stitch Encounter.) Rather than one large attraction. There are some really great ideas out there, not sure if I heard them all, but I will try to summarize:

:) MTTF Entrance - Will help flow in/out of land
:( Roger Rabbit themed attraction - Not gonna happen, legal issues
:dazzle: New theater or stage show - As much as I would like this to happen, I don't know how likely it is since Mickey's Philharmagic is new and would make more sense to fix up (or just put a show in) Galaxy Palace Theater in TL.
:) Alice Maze from DLP - I also like this idea, but I doubt she can support two attractions in such close proximity?
*Pinnochio attraction - could be nice, fits in well with rest of Fantasyland
:eek: Grassy relaxing landscape - boring, but EPCOT is considering it, so who knows?
:) Character Meet/Greet - good idea, there are so many characters availible, and you always see huge lines, especially big names
:) Merchandise/Pin Shop - Very likely, would increase revenue for area
:( DVC Booth - Not likely with close proximity to TL stand
:( Little Mermaid Attraction - Also not likely, with crowds down (I think) at LM show at MGM and also due to the fact that Ariel is not being promoted quite so much as other Disney Princesses. For example both Little Mermaid DVDs are in vault, cancel this idea if they could coordinate the opening of a new LM attraction with a Platinum DVD release, but hey, even the The Lion King didn't sell that well. So where does this leave us???
:D Disney Princess Attraction - These ladies generated over $1 Billion in merchandise sales last year. From the Shareholders meeting last month, you can bet the WDC would LOVE to get them all in the park together. Granted they are spread all over MK now, but can't you just picture a pink building of some sort. I have no idea what the attraction would be - a Philharmagic style show would have been great, but now that thats been done, very unlikely.

Ok, I'm done rambling, what do you think?

mellie882

I wish that we would get a Disneyland ride. Certainly the Alice in Wonderland or Pinnochio attraction would do swell. And those of us that want a roller coaster? What about the matterhorn? I know that this probably not a big enough piece of land to do it, but how cool would that be! Fantasyland in California is much more packed with rides than ours. Share the wealth!

WDWFREAK53

Originally posted by mellie882
I wish that we would get a Disneyland ride. Certainly the Alice in Wonderland or Pinnochio attraction would do swell. And those of us that want a roller coaster? What about the matterhorn? I know that this probably not a big enough piece of land to do it, but how cool would that be! Fantasyland in California is much more packed with rides than ours. Share the wealth!

The Matterhorn is not coming...in the form of "The Matterhorn"...it's coming in the form of Expedition:Everest.

I still say that they should build the villain land across from Mickey's Toontown Fair. Just build it across the tracks. (After all...don't the villains live..."on the other side of the tracks?" ) :lookaroun

ToTBellHop

Just my personal feeling, but I think it will be bigger than anything you listed..but not a Harry Potter Ride:hurl: NOT IN MY MAGIC KINGDOM!

space42

The original 20k Leagues was a major, big budget, E-Ticket attraction with no height requirement. Why shouldn't we expect the same 'type' of ride for its replacement?

How about something with mild thrills and a very low height requirement ala Splash Mountain?

I am not sure Disney would have waited this long for 20k's replacement unless they were planning something big for the area.

Bring on Bald Mountain!

PuertoRekinSam

toon town fair has multiple exits

you have the main one that is near the indy speedway

you have thwalk way by the train tracks right into the heart of tomorrowland

and you have the train itself

sniggle74

I think the best bet for right now....Let's see what the area looks without the lagoon - as flat land once again. Once we see that we can more than likely piece together what's coming.

As for Harry.....he'll be in the Disney parks at some point AFTER the final movie (rights and the like have been purchased and plans have been made). However, like all great ideas in imagineering - they may never come to fruition.

jrriddle

I don't know if this means anything. I found it at Miceage:

The current Five Year Plan that Matt (Ouimet) and his team have created for 2005-2009 is allocating some very serious cash towards a "High Profile E Ticket" attraction in addition to a "Major D Ticket." But there is currently a hard and fast threshold for both of these upcoming DCA additions; they can not have a height requirement, and they must be very unique and entertaining for the entire family. Matt feels what DCA needs is the 21st century equivalent of Pirates of the Caribbean; something that everyone enjoys and that impresses practically anyone who experiences it.

I wonder if the E-Ticket would be a duplicate of what will eventually go into the Lagoon area?

Snapper Bean

Originally posted by jrriddle

The current Five Year Plan that Matt (Ouimet) and his team have created for 2005-2009 is allocating some very serious cash towards a "High Profile E Ticket" attraction in addition to a "Major D Ticket." But there is currently a hard and fast threshold for both of these upcoming DCA additions; they can not have a height requirement, and they must be very unique and entertaining for the entire family. Matt feels what DCA needs is the 21st century equivalent of Pirates of the Caribbean; something that everyone enjoys and that impresses practically anyone who experiences it.

I wonder if the E-Ticket would be a duplicate of what will eventually go into the Lagoon area?

I think this is outstanding news. I have wondered whether Disney was really interested in creating new dark rides. I am hopeful that this shows they still have that focus.

Thrawn

Account Suspended
Originally posted by jrriddle

Matt feels what DCA needs is the 21st century equivalent of Pirates of the Caribbean; something that everyone enjoys and that impresses practically anyone who experiences it.

Isnt that what every theme and amusement park in the world wants?

netenyahoo

Adding Disneyland rides like Alice in Wonderland, Pinocchio, Casey Jr or Storybook Canal Boats would crowd the area. The lagoon area really isn't all that big to put in a huge rollercoaster type ride. I don't think a rollercoaster would fit well with Fantasyland anyhow. I think they should move the teacups in closer to Fantasyland and then redo Toontown Fair with a new entrance and make it better. The entrance could be where the lagoon is now and would be after the teacups. They could build Toontown farther back behind where it is now. This would then give more room to a new project for Tomorrowland which could have a rollercoaster ride there.

jrriddle

Unless of course Lee is correct about the Speedway being removed.
That plus the lagoon would almost be enough room for a whole land.

space42

Originally posted by netenyahoo
Adding Disneyland rides like Alice in Wonderland, Pinocchio, Casey Jr or Storybook Canal Boats would crowd the area. The lagoon area really isn't all that big to put in a huge rollercoaster type ride. I don't think a rollercoaster would fit well with Fantasyland anyhow. I think they should move the teacups in closer to Fantasyland and then redo Toontown Fair with a new entrance and make it better. The entrance could be where the lagoon is now and would be after the teacups. They could build Toontown farther back behind where it is now. This would then give more room to a new project for Tomorrowland which could have a rollercoaster ride there.

The 20k lagoon and show building area is ENORMOUS!
Check this picture.

http://www.disneypix.com/2000ft/Roll4/Roll04_004.htm

Lagoon and show building are near the bottom center.

This area is about the same size as Space Mountain or Thunder Mountain. It is larger than Small World and Haunted Mansion (to the right of 20k in the above picture)

Another view that shows the speedway in relation to 20K.

http://www.disneypix.com/2000ft/Roll4/Roll04_003.htm

If the current rumor is true and the speedway is next to get demolished, this opens up all kinds of possibilities. A new land perhaps?

jrriddle

New land...Discovery Bay/Mysterious Island?
I think a Jules Verne (Nemo) would make a good transition between Fantasyland and Tomorrowland

SirGoofy

If a new land is in the works I hope it's a Villian's Land, complete with a Kingdom Hearts ride.

*sigh* A kid can dream, can't he.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom