The Living Seas and Nemo

Dayma

Original Poster
The Finding Nemo franchise will be supported with plans for a sequel, TV show, consumer products, and a theme park attraction, an update of the Living Seas at Epcot, which will offer a flow of operating income.

Did anyone see or hear this speech by Eisner? Seems Nemo is coming to the Living Seas. I think this would be a great thing since the Living Seas has become a tad stale especially since the ride part has been closed. Nemo would bring young kids in to the attraction which I think is not happening right now.

imagineer boy

Originally posted by blackride
Did anyone see or hear this speech by Eisner? Seems Nemo is coming to the Living Seas. I think this would be a great thing since the Living Seas has become a tad stale especially since the ride part has been closed. Nemo would bring young kids in to the attraction which I think is not happening right now.

Well, I don't like the idea. Epcot isn't supposed to be based on Disney films. I like the Living Seas, but it needs a little bit of an update. More rides, bettter futeristic under water look, etc. Kids love the attraction already. Its a favorite with kids. Its just that not many people notice the attraction.

WDWfan2209

oh ya! cant wait. I wonder if they'll redo the ride? I don't know its just anything is better than what the iving seas is now!

Epcot is my fav

Re: Re: The Living Seas and Nemo

Originally posted by imagineer boy
Well, I don't like the idea. Epcot isn't supposed to be based on Disney films. I like the Living Seas, but it needs a little bit of an update. More rides, bettter futeristic under water look, etc. Kids love the attraction already. Its a favorite with kids. Its just that not many people notice the attraction.

i feel the same way.....they should put it where 20k is

Captain Cab

Unfortunately Epcot is too educational for most visitors. Apparently there's something wrong with learning something in a fun way while on vacation. In order to draw the crowds back Epcot has to resort to new means, and that usually means adding more thrill rides and having more rides/shows focusing around the Disney characters. The characters bring families back to the parks. They're the ones that the families grew up with on tv and in the movies, so they're the ones that many people want to see on vacation.

I personally do not like this approach, but if it brings in money for future attractions and theme parks then all of a sudden it doesn't seem so bad. It's easier to tolerate The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh knowing that the additional crowds' money will potentially lead to new attractions such as Mission: Space and Expedition Everest.

Dayma

Original Poster
I dont understand. Since when cant their be Disney chracter rides in Epcot? How is this any different than all the meet and greets and the Disney chracters riding around on a bus?

Is Figment NOT a Disney chracter? If you can combine learning with some Disney chracters I think you would have the both of best worlds. You need to make it so little kids LOVE to go to Epcot. They would be learning even though they dont know it....

Epcot is an Adult favorite park which means that its missing something for kids. Add Nemo and you will begin to bring kids in more frequently.

On our recent trip we were swimming in the pool and a little girl approxametly 4 years old asks her dad " Why dont we go to Epcot?"....He responds by saying "na theres nothing to do there"..... Not exactly a response and view of Epcot that Diseny wants.....

Kenan

I think putting Nemo into the Living Seas is an awesome idea. Itll be fun for the kids. The omni-mover ride can be narrated by both Marlin and Dory, while they are searching for a 3-d image of Nemo somewhere insdie the aquarium. just a thought.

Sorcerer Mickey

I'm ok with the Living Seas/Nemo attraction, but the sequal and TV show are what set me off there. The TV show will most likely be a cartoon(like the Buzz cartoon), and pretty much ruin the style of the franchise. And, how do you make a sequal and manage to keep the name "Finding Nemo" without making it a tired movie? Oh well, I'm sure Pixar will be able to pull it off somehow.

Shaman

Originally posted by blackride
I dont understand....Epcot is an Adult favorite park which means that its missing something for kids. Add Nemo and you will begin to bring kids in more frequently.

On our recent trip we were swimming in the pool and a little girl approxametly 4 years old asks her dad " Why dont we go to Epcot?"....He responds by saying "na theres nothing to do there"..... Not exactly a response and view of Epcot that Disney wants.....

EPCOT CENTER has really gotten OLD, for many it doesn't hold any worth while attractions and only contains old classic rides which offer only a nostalgic feeling to those who are fans of EPCOT (others aren't impressed with today's EPCOT) . I personally think that they should attempt to change the whole "futuristic" theme of Future World, because in the long run it only limits that part of EPCOT (both financially and attraction wise). While I have always enjoyed EPCOT, you have to admit the park is falling apart (and it only has a couple of things helping it survive.....Test Track, World Showcase, IllumiNATIONS, and now M:S).

There is change on the horizon for EPCOT...a change which has it becoming a more "family friendly" park (and I use the term loosely) :rolleyes: . For instance, they have created M:S with the hopes of getting the thrill seekers (in the family) into the park....such as teenagers; and JIYI was aimed at the younger kids in families.

When it comes to The Living Seas (which was once one of my favorite attractions...when I was a kid...and there weren't any characters in the attraction) the Imagineers can come up with more intresting ways of getting TLS back on track without the use of Disney Characters and without the risk of making TLS into a kiddie attraction.

While I think they should get rid of the "Futuristic" theme I don't think they should use Disney characters in this park, however I do think they SHOULD keep the educational aspect of EPCOT alive, while entertaining guest with great rides. Its been sad for me to see Epcot slowly fall apart, but hey I think some of the Project Gemini ideas are alright and will help EPCOT in the long run...but hey...thats just what I think :hammer: .

Sorcerer Mickey

While I think they should get rid of the "Futuristic" theme I don't think they should use Disney characters in this park, however I do think they SHOULD keep the educational aspect of EPCOT alive, while entertaining guest with great rides.

I have to agree. Now that I think of it, most of Epcot's attractions would stick in with the new "Gemini" themeing. If you push M:S, Test Track and the area near Spaceship Earth aside, you don't see anything really having to do with the "futuristic" look. Even so, SE is supposed to become "Time Racers"(sad, yes, but heck it is old), and M:S wouldn't stick out that much. But, if Disney plans on re-doing Epcot, wouldn't that mean closing the park for a few years? If they're going to take out the park's main theme, many of the park's connecting paths will be closed off, and unless they lower the price and throw in some cheaply done paths, Epcot would have to stay closed until it's (re)done.

Shaman

Originally posted by Sorcerer Mickey
I have to agree. Now that I think of it, most of Epcot's attractions would stick in with the new "Gemini" themeing. If you push M:S, Test Track and the area near Spaceship Earth aside, you don't see anything really having to do with the "futuristic" look. Even so, SE is supposed to become "Time Racers"(sad, yes, but heck it is old), and M:S wouldn't stick out that much. But, if Disney plans on re-doing Epcot, wouldn't that mean closing the park for a few years? If they're going to take out the park's main theme, many of the park's connecting paths will be closed off, and unless they lower the price and throw in some cheaply done paths, Epcot would have to stay closed until it's (re)done.

If these changes are even approved by the powers that be, I doubt that all the the changes will take place at once; besides FW has pretty big paths which would allow for a lot of work to take place at the same time...making it much easier than in a park like Magic Kingdom.

Sorcerer Mickey

quote:Originally posted by Sorcerer Mickey

If these changes are even approved by the powers that be, I doubt that all the the changes will take place at once; besides FW has pretty big paths which would allow for a lot of work to take place at the same time...making it much easier than in a park like Magic Kingdom.

I don't tend to think a lot when I type(bad habit) and totally forgot how the updates could be spread out, but it just wouldn't look right during the big rehab(as I put it). I guess you could look at Universal Studios as a small "demo" of what to expect if Epcot ever goes through with "Gemini", I guess.

I just said "I guess" twice in the same sentance. :p

Katherine

Finally something will be done with the Livings Seas Pavillion! It's probably one of my favorite pavilions but i've been sad that it's been doing so poorly.:(

FutureCEO

Originally posted by objr
EPCOT CENTER has really gotten OLD, for many it doesn't hold any worth while attractions and only contains old classic rides which offer only a nostalgic feeling to those who are fans of EPCOT (others aren't impressed with today's EPCOT) . I personally think that they should attempt to change the whole "futuristic" theme of Future World, because in the long run it only limits that part of EPCOT (both financially and attraction wise). While I have always enjoyed EPCOT, you have to admit the park is falling apart (and it only has a couple of things helping it survive.....Test Track, World Showcase, IllumiNATIONS, and now M:S).

While I think they should get rid of the "Futuristic" theme I don't think they should use Disney characters in this park, however I do think they SHOULD keep the educational aspect of EPCOT alive, while entertaining guest with great rides. Its been sad for me to see Epcot slowly fall apart, but hey I think some of the Project Gemini ideas are alright and will help EPCOT in the long run...but hey...thats just what I think :hammer: .

I think they should keep the theme. but make the rides better and keep the concepts of future world. it is wasted anyway. the park needs more. its also going to be lopsides after MS.

DarkMeasures

They closed the ride? THis is terrible! (I would not know because last time I was in the living seas was in 1995 even though last time at Epcot was in January this year)

Anyway, I thnik there could be other things that could be done. One thing could be adding a submarine ride to the pavilian. I am sure there are ways to make sure the subs wont harm the fishes.

Another good idea is to add a cool theatre like show with awsome special effects. Like an Imax theatre and little mermaid combined. (remove the theme of little mermaid I guess to stay true to Epcot)

imagineer boy

Originally posted by DarkMeasures
They closed the ride? THis is terrible! (I would not know because last time I was in the living seas was in 1995 even though last time at Epcot was in January this year)

No, they havn't closed the ride. There's just rumors that it will close to make way for Nemo. I really hope not.

ImagineerFan04

I think that the living seas needs somesort of ride but don't put in a disney movie theme like the little mermaid or finding nemo. Mabe even a simulator would be good.

If project Gemini goes through it's not going to be all at once. It's going to be like a soar'n ride in 2005/2006 and another attraction. Then in 2007 they'll get time racer.

I'm all for a Finding Nemo attraction but not in TLS. I want to see a Pixar land in the Disney MGM studios.They could do so much with that like a monsters Inc attraction and so on.

TrevEG

In my honest opinion I believe adding any disney character to any epcot ride would be a bad idea. Epcot, to me, has always been a place of discovery. Keep the fantasy over at the Magic Kingdom. Im also very against the idea of doing away with the future theming of Epcot. ....Community of Tomorrow, the keyword being Tomorrow. I mean.. I suppose you could make it the Experimental Prototype Community of Today but that just doesnt have the same ring to it. :hammer: Sure... it could use a touch of paint here and there but please keep it the way it is. Project Gemini gets two big thumbs down from me. :mad: But then again, thats just my opinion. :)

Main Street USA

Originally posted by TrevEG
In my honest opinion I believe adding any disney character to any epcot ride would be a bad idea. Epcot, to me, has always been a place of discovery. Keep the fantasy over at the Magic Kingdom. Im also very against the idea of doing away with the future theming of Epcot. ....Community of Tomorrow, the keyword being Tomorrow. I mean.. I suppose you could make it the Experimental Prototype Community of Today but that just doesnt have the same ring to it. :hammer: Sure... it could use a touch of paint here and there but please keep it the way it is. Project Gemini gets two big thumbs down from me. :mad: But then again, thats just my opinion. :)

Well, technically, they've done away with the word EPCOT being an acronym. In other words, it no longer stands for "Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow." That's another reason why they've changed it from all caps to "Epcot."

Speaking of the Nemo idea, though. It has ENDLESS possibilities. It in NO WAY has to be a kiddie ride, and has the opportunity to make TLS an awesome attraction once again. It could, however, also be done in poor taste, but I can't remember the last time Imagineers did anything in poor taste.

Sorcerer Mickey

Anyway, I thnik there could be other things that could be done. One thing could be adding a submarine ride to the pavilian. I am sure there are ways to make sure the subs wont harm the fishes.

I don't think subs would fit.

On account of the Mermaid thing, that wouldn't work, as an attraction by the type of what you mentioned can be found in MGM.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom