* Disney Stores Sold *

BRER STITCH

Original Poster
This was on my desk this afternoon.....

I just received information from a reliable source that later today
Disney will annouce that is has sold ALL of the Disney Stores.

The CM's no longer work for Disney... they will now be employees of the Disney Store. Theyhope the new owners will continue to give them park discounts....

The new owners are the Japanese Company who also own and run controlling interest in Toyko Disneyland, The Oriental Land Company.

STAY TUNED FOR MORE ON THIS AS IT BECOMES OFFICIAL.....

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
FALSE INFORMATION..

the Japanese Disney Stores are owned and operated by the Oriental Land Company. As of now, all the remaining stores are STILL owned and operated by the Walt Disney Co.

Monorail Lime

False alarm, but if this does become the case in the future I hope Oriental Land Company runs the American Disney Stores as well as they run their Disney operations in Japan. It would be a major improvement! :lol:

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
this just it...

Disney Puts Its Stores Up for Sale Firm plans to close more than 100 shops and sell the rest to a buyer that would operate them under a licensing deal.
By Richard Verrier
Friday, May 23, 2003

BURBANK, CA (Los Angeles Times) -- Walt Disney Co. is getting off the retailing roller coaster it has been riding for more than 15 years, putting its chain of signature stores on the block after a series of missteps and sharp turns in the economy.
Executives of the Burbank-based entertainment giant said Thursday that the company planned to close more than 100 of its Disney Store outlets during the next six months and sell the remaining stores to one or more buyers that would operate them under a licensing agreement.

To prepare the way for a possible sale, the company announced a management shake-up: Disney Store Inc. President Peter Whitford, who resigned Thursday, will be replaced temporarily by Andy Mooney, chief of Disney's consumer products unit.
The announcements came after several years of attempts to revamp the stores, which have been a drain on Disney since the late 1990s.

Founded in 1987, the Disney Stores have been among the most visible symbols of the company but, according to analysts, have struggled from overexpansion, a failure to respond quickly to changing trends and a falloff in demand for merchandise featuring its animated movie characters. The weak performance was underscored when Disney recently reported that operating income in its consumer products unit plunged 38% to $53 million in its fiscal second quarter.

The decision also comes at a time when Disney is under pressure to sell assets to shore up its bottom line, which also has been hard hit by a downturn at its theme parks. Disney recently sold its Anaheim Angels baseball team to Phoenix businessman Arte Moreno for $180 million.

Industry analysts weren't surprised that Disney decided to retreat from retail. They noted that two years ago, AOL Time Warner Inc. pulled out of its Warner Bros. stores and that specialty retailers have had a tough time weathering the current market conditions.

When Disney Stores "started getting into every mall in the U.S., they became much less special," said Marty Brochstein, executive editor of the Licensing Letter, a New York-based industry newsletter. "They became overly expensive marketing tools."

In an interview, Mooney acknowledged the problems of overexpansion and difficult economic times.

"It's a challenging environment in specialty retail, no doubt about it," said Mooney, a former Nike Inc. executive.

Mooney said it makes more economic sense for Disney to let someone with expertise in the retail industry run the stores so that the entertainment firm can allocate precious resources elsewhere in the company and concentrate on its more successful licensing business.

Disney has been working in recent years to forge closer ties with big retailers such as Toys R Us Inc., Target Corp. and Wal-mart Stores Inc., allowing them to sell their own exclusive merchandise.

"Having someone who is singularly focused on retail, and for us to move onto brand management and a licensing model, is the best approach in the long run," Mooney said.

Disney began dismantling its retail empire in 2001, selling its Disney Stores in Japan to Oriental Land Co., which pays Disney a royalty fee based on a percentage of store sales. Oriental also operates Tokyo Disneyland.

The success of that deal prompted Disney to explore a similar arrangement in Europe and North America, Mooney said, adding that Disney does not have buyers lined up.

Disney's retail chain has been steadily shrinking. It has gone from 700 stores in the late 1990s to 548 stores worldwide today, including 387 in North America. Store closings will continue as lease agreements expire.

The plan is to reduce over the next six months the number of stores in North America to less than 300 -- a level Disney believes will make the chain more attractive to potential buyers, including private equity firms.

"I don't think they're going to have any trouble finding buyers," said Richard Giss, a partner in the retail services group of Deloitte & Touche in Los Angeles. "They've got premium locations, and the Disney name is a good place to start out for any enterprise."

Tigggrl

Could this be why there were no gallery items in the catalog this month??? and TONS of items were marked down??

swhite

Hopefully this will be an improvement for the Disney Store chain better merchandise in the stores not just in the catalog hmmmmm,that sounds like a good idea well whatever happens couldn't be any worse

swhite

Also on the subject of The Disney Store has anyone ever been to a outlet store I heard there is one in Rehoboth Beach Delaware was just wanted to know if it would be worth the trip

epcot71

unless the oriental land company buys the disney store chain id rather see the compnay just shut it down.i dont think there is a retail chain out there that would do any better than disney did.look at the retail chains that operate small specialty kids/family stores that would be interested.ever ben into a kbee toys-its always a mess and stores are dirty.someone liek the gap would have no interest even though they have baby gap and kids gap.the best choice would be olc but they might not want to operate stores outside japan.also another reason id rather see it just shut down is because what if the company that bought the disney stores didint have the same high standards that disney has.i.e-ud walk in and the sales clerk has a beard and nose ring????-i was hoping disney would have at least kept open like 10-20 stores in major cities like the one in caesars palace in vegas and the one in 5th ave in new york and just shuttered the mall locations.-oh well lets wait and see

trekkie

If the stores do get sold, I foresee only two options: the new owner will either shut them down or transform the things into something else. The majority of the stores are suffering so much now, and I just don't see how a new owner could vastly improve them if TDS remained, well, TDS. I look around at the dozens of local malls & shopping centers, and none of the stores seem to convince me tht a new owner could turn TDS around. Most of them sell the same things TDS does now: clothes. I guess if a new owner came in, TDS would begin selling adult clothes; but seriously, would that attract enough new customers to create a major turnaround? And even if it does the first time around, how many of those people would be returning customers? Clothing isn't enough to make people want to visit the same store every week or month. And Disney really screwed themselves by doing just that: turning most Disney Stores into a brightly colored Gap with a few TV's. And a Kids Gap, mind you, as adult clothing was nowhere to be found.

TDS screwed itself over, and I fail to see how another company can fix the idiotic decisions that Eisner & Co made.

cm1988

Credit where credit is due

Originally posted by trekkie
If the stores do get sold, I foresee only two options: the new owner will either shut them down or transform the things into something else. The majority of the stores are suffering so much now, and I just don't see how a new owner could vastly improve them if TDS remained, well, TDS. I look around at the dozens of local malls & shopping centers, and none of the stores seem to convince me tht a new owner could turn TDS around. Most of them sell the same things TDS does now: clothes. I guess if a new owner came in, TDS would begin selling adult clothes; but seriously, would that attract enough new customers to create a major turnaround? And even if it does the first time around, how many of those people would be returning customers? Clothing isn't enough to make people want to visit the same store every week or month. And Disney really screwed themselves by doing just that: turning most Disney Stores into a brightly colored Gap with a few TV's. And a Kids Gap, mind you, as adult clothing was nowhere to be found.

TDS screwed itself over, and I fail to see how another company can fix the idiotic decisions that Eisner & Co made.
One should probably note that the Disney Stores were launched when Michael was CEO, and grew to their most profitable years with Michael at the helm.

Specialty retail in general hasn't done well since the late '90's. Been to a Warner Brothers Studio Store lately? Are any still open?

trekkie

TDS had always done "a lot" better than the WB Stores. TDS started underperforming becasuse Disney failed to make very good merchandise anymore (Except the hig-end collectibles). So, instead of improving merchandise quality, Eisner & Co decide to do away with all Disneyana & sell mostly clothes & cheaply made plush. And not even adult clothing. Only kiddy items.

This drove away literally "hundreds" of collectors, entire families and aggravated the majority of DS employees.

Why didn't Eisner & Co just improve the merchandise? Why did they decide to ultimately screw themselves?

The Frank Wells-Eisner would never do this. The post-Wells Eisner would. He is not the same man who saved Disney from going bankrupt. He is not the same man who spearheaded the DS concept and heralded them as a means to "promote our theme parks." He is not the same man who used to host THE MAGICAL WORLD OF DISNEY on ABC.

He is not the same man. Saying he is would be like saying Bill Gates isn't ruthless in the computer world, based on the fact that he wasn't always like this.

epcot71

kind of an interesting note-i go to disneycareers everyday and since the announcement they have advertised for 4 store managers in 4 different areas and an area manager for hawaii. im kinda of perplexed by this.i worked in retail management for 12 years in a store manager and district merchandiser for large retail chain and worked for one that closed(not because of me-lol).
normally;and i do use the word NORMALLY;when a company is closing or selling they dont start hiring new managers especially area managers- if the store manager quit than the assistant manager would run things until the demise of the store or company and if a district or area manager quite than the regional manager or vice president of operations would watch over things until compnay shuttered-
maybe im grasping on to whatever litttle hope i have of keeping disney store.
i worked for a compnay that closed 6 stores in an area-of course i jumped ship and looked for another job when they announced this and my assistant manager covered the store until it closed-why would disny be different?????:confused: :confused: :confused:

Monorail Lime

Originally posted by epcot71
why would disny be different?????:confused: :confused: :confused:
So far there are no hiring freezes at the Disney Stores and positions are still being filled as normal. This stuff about tDs being sold was leaked from a top source and took a lot of people by suprise so they aren't fully sure how to proceed.

jmarc63

Originally posted by Monorail Lime
So far there are no hiring freezes at the Disney Stores and positions are still being filled as normal. This stuff about tDs being sold was leaked from a top source and took a lot of people by suprise so they aren't fully sure how to proceed.

BUT....

Is it true??

Monorail Lime

Originally posted by jmarc63
BUT....

Is it true??
Is it true that they are reducing the number of stores, cutting Home Base staff, and clearing out existing merchandise? Yes.

Is it true that the chain will be abandoned or sold? My district manager doesn't know yet so neither do I. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom