You guys check this out...

Attachments

• polymap.jpg
    polymap.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 331

disneydudette

Original Poster
MY Uncle....

After they had my cousin they went to WDW....this was a map that was found on the wall of there room in the Contemp....I found it to be really kool and intresting...I think its early 80/late 70s....

jmarc63

Wow that pic brings back memories.

You are correct disneydudette. That map was from the rooms at the contempoary. That map was in every room at both the Contempoary as well as the Poly in the 70's, as far as I remember it was in our room the first year in 71. The painting of the map was derived from the concept art for what was supposed to be built durring phase one for WDW which was supposed to take the first ten years. Obvously we know now that some of the elememts in this painting were abandoned so the map became a relic of unbuilt dreams. Sometime in the early 80s durring one of the room renovations the decore was changed and the pictures were removed from the rooms.

This brings me to ask if anyone knows if Disney ever auctioned them off at sometime, I would love to have one of them

Testtrack321

I guarantee that's pre-openeing map. My friends have one of EPCOT CENTER with 'Century 3' and the Africa pavilion. Really cool to look at.

MicBat

Yup, that's old school alright. I have it in a book at home my mom had bought during her first trip in '71... I'll have to bring it up to school and scan some more pics from the book.

jmarc63

Originally posted by RU42
Which book do you have? I checked most of mine and found a very small picture that was similar.

RU

he's refering to a commorative edition book called The Story of Walt Disney World, that first came out durring the preview showings then went thru a few revisions and reprints durring the 70 to add newer attractions but still basiccly the same book, .. And just to you know the map in the book is not the same as what was in the walls of the rooms. The map in the book, however is simular but diffrent. the books map is a characature style map. (meaning elements in the map are not to scale of the property), and a little cartoonish simce Mckey and Goofy show up on the map. Also the map is only of the MK and not the entire property like the ones on the rooms

WDWspider

The resort where Grand Floridian is now was never built either. I wonder where the Monorail was suppose to go in the upper right hand corner?

MicBat

Originally posted by jmarc63
he's refering to a commorative edition book called The Story of Walt Disney World, that first came out durring the preview showings then went thru a few revisions and reprints durring the 70 to add newer attractions but still basiccly the same book, .. And just to you know the map in the book is not the same as what was in the walls of the rooms. The map in the book, however is simular but diffrent. the books map is a characature style map. (meaning elements in the map are not to scale of the property), and a little cartoonish simce Mckey and Goofy show up on the map. Also the map is only of the MK and not the entire property like the ones on the rooms

I'm pretty sure it's the same map. I dont remember seeing any of the disney characters on it. I'll scan it next week and post it

jmarc63

Originally posted by MicBat
I'm pretty sure it's the same map. I dont remember seeing any of the disney characters on it. I'll scan it next week and post it

I'm not sure if I was clear, the map in the book is the one on pages 10 & 11

Bagheera

Yep, I've got the book, too.

Originally posted by spider-man
The resort where Grand Floridian is now was never built either. I wonder where the Monorail was suppose to go in the upper right hand corner?

The upper right-hand corner monorail destination is the never-built Persian Resort.

jmarc63

Originally posted by Bagheera
Yep, I've got the book, too.

The upper right-hand corner monorail destination is the never-built Persian Resort.

It seem that I have a diffrent version of the book or a diffrent book all together. what version of the book do you have?

Also one thing to note is, That The monorail was supposed to head thru Tommrowland after leaving the MK station in order to have enough radus to connect to the persian hotel before heading back to the Contempoary. I also suspect that the idea of going thru the park was to mimic the monorail in TL at DL.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom