Animal Kingdom Lodge questions

dylan0511

A few questions about AKL if anyone can help me:

1-What are the restaurants like?
2-How are the buses to the parks?
3-Can we walk to Animal Kingdom from there?
4-Is it kid friendly?

If anyone has been there, please let me know.

:hammer:

TURKEY

The breakfast at Boma (the buffet) is good. Mara is the quick service restaurant and it had pretty good food and a wide selection.

I haven't eaten at Jiko. Some have said its good food. Check out the review section for more opinions.

I stayed at AKL over Christmas/New Years. I had no problems with buses to/from the lodge. I had to wait about 15-20 minutes one time, but the bus was pulling out as I approached the stop.

You can't walk to AK from the lodge. You must take a bus to all parks.

The lodge seems very kid friendly. The pool seems nice, I didn't swim. Just walking through the lodge and looking at the exhibits seems nice. There are stories and a campfire at night as well as other things that go on at the lodge that seem to be kid friendly.

Upvote 0

KathyG/poohbear

There are good and bad points about AKL.

Location, Location, Location, not only did we have to wait longer for buses from this hotel but it takes longer to get to the parks once you are on the bus. One night from DTD we waited over an hour. If I did AKL again I would rent a car...even cm taking your reservations tell you that though.

The food at Boma is okay and everyone should try it once but it was a little exotic for me. We didn't try breakfast because we were staying concierge. The Mara food is not as good at the fast food restaurant at the Poly or the Contemporary

The animals are awesome but they never came as close to our room as the pictures show. The lodge is awesome and beautiful. You could not ask for a better themed hotel or prettier place. Also, the shopping is great. They have a huge variety in the shop there. Yes, I think the hotel is kid friendly and I think the you will have a good time. Depending on the age of your kids think about concierge....it can be very cost efficient.

It is just not like staying closer to the parks...but everyone should stay there once.

Upvote 0

lentesta

Premium Member
I thought Boma was fantastic - probably the best buffet in WDW. Probably my favorite restaurant anywhere in WDW.
I haven't tried Jiko yet, but 9 out of 10 people surveyed in the Guide seem to have liked it.

I think with the implementation of the "Magic on Demand" bus system, waits at most of the resorts are fairly consistent. It's unlikely you'll have to wait much more than 20 minutes to get to any park. If you're in a hurry, say, going to a different resort for dinner, a cab is your best bet.

Hey KathyG, what's the concierge at the AKL like? I'm staying there next month. Do they serve hot food? The concierge at the Grand Floridian has stopped serving hot hors d'oeuvers.

Upvote 0

AkiraRaptor

Meega, nala kwishta!
My turn to pipe in. :hammer: :D

Restaurants are great! We love the food. We eat at Boma's for breakfast every chance we get. Never had dinner yet, but that will change this October, were gonna finally try the dinner menu. Jiko is one of the best places to eat on WDW property. It costs a little more than most of the other places, but the food, service and surroundings are worth it at least once in your life.

We never really had any issues about bussing. The only one I could even call an issue is one time we were running late for a PS at MK, and there was at least two busses worth of people waiting to go. We used the Epcot/Monorail way instead, and still got there on time. I would recommend though if you are going resort hopping, to use a car, but I'd say that for most resorts except maybe the monorail resorts. It's just easier than using the TTC or DD exchanges.

Can't walk to AK.

I don't have kids, but from the times we've visited, the kids I saw all seemed to have a great time. Nice arcade, great pool, huge resort to walk (or run) about in, not to mention the animals of course.

We did concierge last trip out, and are returning again this October and doing concierge again. I don't remember any hot foods, but then again, I did not visit the concierge lounge at all times of the day. They seemed to change the food around every few hours. Try the cinnomin crisps, mmmmm. :slurp:

Along with the food comes a very helpful staff, quick check in/out, the private lounge, and best of all the Sunrise Safari tour. Do not miss it. It does cost a bit, $40 I think. But it is well worth it. They only do it twice a week, so make sure you get in.

I'd also like to say that the concierge staff can do wonders for you. They got us into sold out sittings at Princess Storybook Breakfast, worked out all my PS times and other events I scheduled, and helped me out on tips and sugesstions including saving money on things. They are great, use them!

Have fun!

Upvote 0
Have not read a really bad thing yet.

My wife and I are planning on staying at the AKL for a few days in October. One of the main reasons is the Sunrise Safari which is only available to the concierge level guests. Based on the research that we have done I would recommend doing a Savannah view room (nothing like having your morning coffee with the animals). I have read a few bad experiences with the bus routes and with the recent Disney cut backs I would not be surprised to see transportation services suffer.

I am interested to know what days of the week the safari is run. My wife and I are planning on arriving 9-27 and then check-out on 9-29 and head over to the Boardwalk Inn for the rest of our stay. (We can't afford concierge for a whole week. :( )

By the way the best prices I've seen on concierge was about $280 a night last fall with an annual pass holders rate.

Have a great trip and let us know how things go.

Upvote 0

AkiraRaptor

Meega, nala kwishta!
Re: Have not read a really bad thing yet.

Originally posted by swordsman_24
I am interested to know what days of the week the safari is run. My wife and I are planning on arriving 9-27 and then check-out on 9-29 and head over to the Boardwalk Inn for the rest of our stay. (We can't afford concierge for a whole week. :( )

When we were there, it ran on Tusday and Saturday. I do not know if those are still the current days. Once you set up your reservation, AKL Concierge Service will send you a letter with a welcome and information. I belive that infor is in there. Just call them (or email them) and set up a time.

Have fun on your trip!

Upvote 0

Invero

Originally posted by KathyG/poohbear
Location, Location, Location, not only did we have to wait longer for buses from this hotel but it takes longer to get to the parks once you are on the bus.

This is a very common misconception. AK Lodge was designed to feel out in the middle of nowhere. That's the whole point. In reality, it's connected to the rest of the World via Osceola Parkway and World Drive. It might be furthest away mileage wise, but time wise, it's competitive with other resorts.

Actual Travel Times:
AKL -> DAK - 5 mins
AKL -> Epcot - 9 mins
AKL -> Studios - 8 mins
AKL -> MK - 13 mins
AKL -> DTD - 15 mins

As you can see... times really aren't that bad. Intervals are typically 15 minutes. From pretty much everyone I've talked with, AK Lodge gets excellent bus service.

Upvote 0

AkiraRaptor

Meega, nala kwishta!
Originally posted by Fantasia Boi
As you can see... times really aren't that bad. Intervals are typically 15 minutes. From pretty much everyone I've talked with, AK Lodge gets excellent bus service.

Can't agree more. I've always felt the bus service is top notch at AKL. Most waits were only a few min (less than 5), or the bus was waiting when we got there, and trip time was fast.

You don't happen to have bus numbers like these for some of the other resorts to compair?

Upvote 0

Invero

Originally posted by AkiraRaptor
Can't agree more. I've always felt the bus service is top notch at AKL. Most waits were only a few min (less than 5), or the bus was waiting when we got there, and trip time was fast.

You don't happen to have bus numbers like these for some of the other resorts to compair?

What resorts would you like? Just let me know, I'll post 'em.

Upvote 0

AkiraRaptor

Meega, nala kwishta!
What resorts would you like? Just let me know, I'll post 'em.

Just looking for a sampling from each of the other resort areas for compairison. (MK area, Epcot area, DD area). You pick. :D

Upvote 0

Invero

Just looking for a sampling from each of the other resort areas for compairison. (MK area, Epcot area, DD area). You pick. :D

Hrmm... I'll see what I can do. Because internal times can vary depending on stops and routes, I'll post travel times. Internal times are often less than 10 mins. These times are what I typically get when I drive the routes... other drivers may vary. Things might be slowed down by unprepared guests, guests with huge strollers, guests with tons of stuff, guests asking questions, guests who don't have thier entire party together, and guests who might require additional boarding assistance (use of the lift, etc)

AKL -> DAK - 5 mins
AKL -> Epcot - 9 mins
AKL -> Studios - 8 mins
AKL -> MK - 13 mins

Port Orleans/OKW -> MK - 11 mins
Port Orleans/OKW -> Epcot - 6 mins
Port Orleans/OKW -> Studios - 9 mins
Port Orleans/OKW -> DAK - 13 mins

Coronado Springs -> MK - 10 mins
Coronado Springs -> Epcot via BB - 10 mins
Coronado Springs -> Studios - 6 mins
Coronado Springs -> DAK - 7 mins

Caribbean Beach -> MK - 11 mins
Caribbean Beach -> Epcot - 7 mins
Caribbean Beach -> Studios - 5 mins
Caribbean Beach -> DAK - 7 mins

Epcot Resorts -> MK - 11 mins
Epcot Resorts -> DAK - 11 mins
(Depending on route... add 2 mins per resort...)

MK Area -> Studios - 11 mins
MK Area -> DAK - 13 mins
WL/FW -> Epcot - 6 mins

Routes can vary. Add for the following:
CR/Po - Add 4 for CR
CR/Po/GF - Add 7 for CR, 4 for Poly
WL/GF - Add 5 for WL
WL/Outpost - Add 5 for WL
WL/Settlement - Add 3 for WL
FW alone - Add none

Upvote 0

AkiraRaptor

Meega, nala kwishta!
Hrmm... I'll see what I can do. Because internal times can vary depending on stops and routes, I'll post travel times. Internal times are often less than 10 mins. These times are what I typically get when I drive the routes... other drivers may vary. Things might be slowed down by unprepared guests, guests with huge strollers, guests with tons of stuff, guests asking questions, guests who don't have thier entire party together, and guests who might require additional boarding assistance (use of the lift, etc)

Thanks...this is great information. Really shows that AKL is no better off or worse than any other resort, and the other resorts are pretty much the same, give or take 2 minuets or so.

I was really interested to see those Epcot and MK numbers. If you compare MK resorts to AKL numbers, they come out pretty even. MK is faster to 2 parks, while AKL is faster to two others. Again, we are only talking about 2-5 minuets in these numbers in most cases, not a long time in my world while I'm on vacation.

Shows that even AKL is pretty much equall in time to the other resorts, and in some cases even faster. I hope this helps the false perseption that AKL is "out of the way".

Sorry dylan0511 for kinda highjacking your thread, but it does go toward your #2 question... :D

Thanks again Tyler for the information!

Upvote 0

Invero

Thanks...this is great information. Really shows that AKL is no better off or worse than any other resort, and the other resorts are pretty much the same, give or take 2 minuets or so.

Indeed... 2 minutes really won't make a big deal in the grand scheme of things...

Upvote 0

KathyG/poohbear

Sorry you guys. You know what they say, everyone likes different things and one of the most important things to me is being able to see the castle from my resort.

Also, I know everyone but me loves the food at Boma, but I prefer other restaurants. It was a different experience and I am glad I ate there but we had alot of the same things on the concierge level every night.

Yes, Len there is nice, hot food at the AKL or at least it was last September. They had different foods every night. Some of them were very exotic, others were just skewers of seasoned meat. We also had wrap sandwiches and cheese and crackers. The concierge experience at the AKL was very different from the Poly. There were good things about each one. The AKL has about 5 or 6 different foods every night from 5 - 7 while the Poly has one hot food and then fruit and cheese and crackers. Some of the food at the AKL is very spicy but it was good. The wines were African and some of the best chardonnay I have ever tasted. From 8 to 10, they have their desserts which includes handmade chocolates and cordials. Once the food is gone at the AKL they aren't as fast putting more out. At the Poly, they keep out canned sodas, water bottles and fruit most of the day and night. It's not that way at the AKL. Also at the AKL the concierge staff take turns putting out the food and working behind the desk so they do double duty.

Oh yea, the AKL has a cool coffee machine that you can choose coffee, expresso or cafe latte.

I hope you have a good time.

Upvote 0

AkiraRaptor

Meega, nala kwishta!
Originally posted by KathyG/poohbear
Sorry you guys. You know what they say, everyone likes different things and one of the most important things to me is being able to see the castle from my resort.

Also, I know everyone but me loves the food at Boma, but I prefer other restaurants. It was a different experience and I am glad I ate there but we had alot of the same things on the concierge level every night.

KathyG/poohbear, no need to be sorry at all. Everyone has different opinons on every single resort. I remember when you first got back from AKL and did your report here. Some of those things shouldn't have ever happened to you, and you every right to be critical of AKL and the service you got. They should have been more helpful and accomidating, and I am appauled that they really didn't do anything to satisfy the issue they created with you. I really hope it doesn't every happen to us, or anyone else again.

I was more on the line of it's location versus other resorts, and by seeing Tyler's numbers, it really shows it's not out of the way at all. But like you said, it doesn't have a castle view either. I've stayed at the Polynesian and the Contemporary, and loved the castle views as well. Nothing like sitting on the beach at the Polynesian watching the fireworks go off over the castle with the low glow of tiki torches around you. Very romantic indead for myself and the wife. We just fell more in love with AKL than the other resorts, not that we'd pass up a free stay in the other resorts :D .

Upvote 0

KathyG/poohbear

Thanks for understanding about my feelings. I think I am still a little girl at heart and staying on the monorail says Disney to me. I know AKL is a top notch resort and I just had a bad experience. Also, the week I went in September is always slow and I am sure they didn't have as many buses running as a busier time. Also you guys proved that my 'long trips' to the parks were an illusion. I guess that is part of the atmosphere, like you are staying away from the hustle and bustle and I fell for it. :) Thanks for being kind.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom