What is the real deal with Leauges?

EvilMOuse

Original Poster
Right, I wondered if anyone can set the record straight
What is the real deal with 20,000leagues? :confused:
There are thousands of rumours about the building being in total disrepair and about to collapse, and i wondered if anyone knows the concrete truth about it. Personally, I say that if they have a space there now they shud use it...but then i never liked the ride (i thought it was kinda dull when i was 5)
So whats the deal bout the building, the reputedly polluted water, and what is gonna happen to it all?
Cheers:king:

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
Unless they've blocked water from going into the show building (behind the waterfall entrances), I would assume the water in the show building is the same as in the lagoon itself. Doesn't look polluted to me. Looks pretty clean. Now about the show building ready to fall, I doubt that too. Huge lawsuits if a building collapsed on a cast member. If you know it's unsafe, building codes would require you to fix it. I agree, a huge waste of space there. With no motion in the lagoon, the atmosphere in the part of Fantasyland is pretty dull. The Skyway used to create some movement and color in the area, but no more. The imagineers must have something up their sleeves for the whole area. Behind 20K lagoon and the show building are acres of land screaming for attractions. It's just lack of funds holding them back.

westie

The submarine ride is one of the greats. I could ride that sucker till my E tickets ran dry. It truly hurts to see it as an unused wishing well both in CA and FL. I'll give a disney pin to the CM or whatever the ubermensch are known as, to throw us a bone!?!?!?

Sketch105

I really don't think they've got anything planned for that lagoon. Its a beautiful piece of property, and I would hope they would utilize it with whatever they do plan in the future.

We all know why it closed, but what will take its place is a mystery (unless someone can clarify these small, unreliable rumours about "villian mountain" that were swarming the internet a year ago.

bgraham34

Why dont we start a petition for them to do something with it. I agree something needs to happen back there. It is kind of depressing.

Isn't the ride system still in the lagoon just minus the subs?? I could have swore the last 3 times i was there i could see the ride system. hmmmmmmmmmmmmm..............

Sketch105

Originally posted by Just A Big Kid
Isn't the ride system still in the lagoon just minus the subs?? I could have swore the last 3 times i was there i could see the ride system. hmmmmmmmmmmmmm..............

The last time I checked the lagoon, the track was still there. But they'll never put anything in that water again, unless its a flume ride of some sort. The subs and props being in the water all the time really wreacked havoc on the paint jobs. The subs running over the tracks caused the utilidors to flood (so I heard). If you've ever seen pictures of the "boneyard", you'll notice the subs are practically white underneath the water level line. If they did decide to do a sub-like ride again, They'd have to find a ride system that could be ADA friendly and lightweight, yet hold more people. And that was the problem with the first version. The subs could only hold 38 people and it took a long time to load them. Its just more cost efficient to pull off a dry/wet effect like the new version of 20k at Tokyo's DisneySeas.

Speaking of which, it would be incredible if they would just build a show building over the lagoon, drained it, then built the Tokyo Disney Sea version of 20,000 Leagues there. That would be neat.

kaos

The water in the lagoon and the water in the show building are indeed seperated. From what I have learned from different imagineeers at WDW, the toxicity of the fumes in the show building prevent anyone from entering there and doing work, and the water is too toxic to be removed without permits and a prearranged dumping zone.

gibsonc

UK Disney Geek
Originally posted by kaos
The water in the lagoon and the water in the show building are indeed seperated. From what I have learned from different imagineeers at WDW, the toxicity of the fumes in the show building prevent anyone from entering there and doing work, and the water is too toxic to be removed without permits and a prearranged dumping zone.

It all sounds a little odd to me. Firstly - when 20,000 leagues was running the water in the lagoon and in the show building must have been the same water - as far as I can remember there was never any kind of transition between the lagoon and show building which would keep the water separate. This being the case (correct me if i'm wrong) at some point we are assuming that the lagoon and show buildings water would have been separated. At this point if there was something wrong with the water they would have drained the lagoon (as they did several years ago to repaint it) as it would be a health hazzard to people in the park.

Why if they had to do this would they have not done the whole job? why leave it several years? why sit and watch the problem get worse to a point where the fumes in the building prevent anyone going into it????? That just doesn't make any sense to me, are we really saying that the same Disney that makes sure everything is as clean and tidy as possible would just not look inside a building for several years until one day they check and find out, oh... it's toxic???? (even if the water has always been separated)

That's my thoughts on the subject, I could be wrong....

At some point I would expect a major redevelopment when the time is right and they decide what should replace the area. Disney have many options which could be based around the many Villan/mountain rumours or any variation of other rides developed around the world at other Disney parks.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
I've said this before, and I'll say it again. It's been almost 10 years... can we just let this topic die? Odds are it's never gonna return, and I can guarantee that this thread in it's short life will go sour, so can we just end discussion on this?

I'd rather see 10 more Mission: Space threads than another 20k thread.

just my $0.02

darthdarrel

I don`t care if 20,000 leagues under the sea ever returns,I just want to see them use the space for something other then a wishing well and character greet!:(

bearboysnc

Originally posted by bgraham34
Why dont we start a petition for them to do something with it. I agree something needs to happen back there. It is kind of depressing.

I say was start a petition to block any further threads about this attraction. There seems to be a new one every week... asking the same thing.

Sketch105

Originally posted by darthdarrel
I don`t care if 20,000 leagues under the sea ever returns,I just want to see them use the space for something other then a wishing well and character greet!:(

I second the notion. The ride will never return, I know that. But the use of that property is something I would like to see.

westie

We better start something quick. When you go to Castaway Cay, they've got one of the subs sank just off shore so you can swim out to it and explore arround it, just not inside.

Lee

Adventurer
"This may sound dumb but I dont feel like figuring it out myself, where is castaway cay?"

Disney's private island in the Bahamas where the cruise ships stop. The nautilus looks pretty cool out there.

Also, since I saw it mentioned earlier, I doubt that the lagoon was making the utilidors leak. The lagoon is not on top of the utilidors, but sort of beside them on the same level. I guess water could have leaked through the wall, but not from the ceiling anyway. Um...I think.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Originally posted by Lee
Also, since I saw it mentioned earlier, I doubt that the lagoon was making the utilidors leak. The lagoon is not on top of the utilidors, but sort of beside them on the same level. I guess water could have leaked through the wall, but not from the ceiling anyway. Um...I think.

part of the lagoon is directly above the utilidors, namely costuming, character issue, and the lockers. The showers in the MK lockers rooms are continually closed due to water seeping in, so it does leak in, whether you people want to believe me or not.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom