What is in the water @ WDWMagic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dawn S

Original Poster
It's a rare thing to see me on a soapbox, but I'm here at the moment & have something to get off my chest, so deal with it...or move on.

When I first came to these boards, I was so impressed by the general feel of the place. The people were laid-back, fun, informative & very friendly. I truly do enjoy it here at WDWMagic & have no plans to disappear anytime soon.

BUT...

I've noticed something here recently & it is really getting under my skin. Though I post less than some people, I read A LOT here. It seems that a high percentage of threads anymore have one of the following included within them:

1. Someone telling someone "well, this was a stupid place to post this thread".
***OK, some people are guilty of misplacing threads & I know that everyone needs to be more aware of that, but notice this usually happens to "newbies". Do we really need to bark at them like that? What an unfriendly welcome!! When I first figured out what forums where, I was quite confused myself. Sometimes, you don't quite know how it all works. Haven't we all been there? There's a nice way to point someone in the right direction without being a total jerk in your approach. If you can't be nice about it, shut up & move on. It's not like you came home to find a stranger wearing your undies. Is it really such a trauma for you??? I rarely even "start" threads anymore here for fear of being tarred & feathered if someone thinks it would better fit somewhere else on the site!

2. Opinions!
***Everyone has opinions & it is fun & educational for us to be able to share those varied opinions here. We are lucky enough to have people of ALL ages, ALL lifestyles & ALL locations, so we're going to get a lot of very different opinions. The key is to learn to accept opinions (& when appropriate, to debate them) intelligently & maturely. I disagree with a lot of what's said on this board & when I feel I have an intelligent arguement, I will make my disagreement known in a mature manner. It shows your lack of intelligence & takes away from any valid points you may make when you attack someone or name-call. It seems that many people here have a problem hearing something that they don't 100% agree with & then they opt to do nothing but insult & attack. Just a clue...this kind of behavior doesn't prove your point or further your arguement...it makes you look like an idiot.

I am not a fighter. I am not a complainer. I am, however, wondering what has got into people here lately. I've only seen one or two occasions where attacks were somewhat justified. Otherwise, it seems that everyone here is ready to pounce with claws out & I see no reason for it.

*deep breath* OK, I'm done. Like I said, I never do this kind of thing, but I see too many people who need help removing the colossal chips from their shoulders. Mellow out, folks.

Wilt Dasney

You know, Dawn, this thread REALLY should have gone in the "Hacked-Off Folks, Vent Here" forum. Try to be a little more careful next time. :animwink:

I agree, the occasional "1,2,3....breathe" would help out some folks around here.

Goofette

Dawn S., it's funny, when I first read the threads title I thought you were going to tell us you were Pregnant :eek: I was coming to check out to see who else was :lol: :lol:

Dawn S

Original Poster
Goofette!! Bite your tongue! :lol: I'm not pregnant (although I hear Maria should be questioned! :lol: J/K...Don't smack me for that one).

Wilt Dasney: :lol: :lol: If Steve wants to make that forum an option here, I'll gladly re-direct all future soap-box postings to the appropriate location. Thank you for the heads-up, pal! :animwink:

Goofette

Sometimes it just helps to get up on the soapbox for a little while and let it all out. We've all been there.

Oh, Maria is gonna get you when she gets back from vacation :lol: Her mailbox is going to be full. (BTW anyone who read that, it was a joke in the chitchat section (Where is NowInc. thread).

:wave:

Tramp

...Have to agree with ya Dawn...last year at this time we had about 800 members, this year we have over 4,000...our culture has become ghetto in many respects....a lot of uneducated, uncivilized people have joined us never having learned even the basic debating skills in school.....I ignore them...I have no use for rude, crude opinionated people...this is a Mickey Mouse forum, not the Mensa Society.

I have a very select, close group of people that I call my friends here that I have grown to admire and trust and why I call this forum my home...I wouldn't want it any other way...:kiss:

...on that note, here's a little song for ya, hon:

:wave: Click on this link Dawn :wave:

Wilt Dasney

Wow, Tramp...that one's goin' back a ways. :)

Reminds me of when I used to listen to the "Oldies" station. :animwink:

tiggerlover1971

well said dawn i camee on this website because it was a disney forum not a politically correct forum i get annoyed with the posters that hurt peoples feelings

Dawn S

Original Poster
Originally posted by Tramp

...on that note, here's a little song for ya, hon:

:wave: Click on this link Dawn :wave:

Well, I'll never complain about being serenaded! :animwink:

I'll tell ya, I wish you & I could get involved in opinion-tossing. I think you could intellectually give me a run for my money. To date, we seem to agree too much to have that opportunity. :)

Castle Cake Apologist

...Have to agree with ya Dawn...last year at this time we had about 800 members, this year we have over 4,000...

I was one of the 800! Joined in June 2001 (That would be when these newfangled "New Forums" came to be, So I guess I'm an original member if you will, awesome! lol, I just realized that hehe) It has come to my attention that we have far too many members. Our numbers are fast approaching the average daily attendance of the MK. :eek: Or maybe we're past it, I dunno what the daily is...? (To be precise, we have 3,495 members, yikes!)

I have a very select, close group of people that I call my friends here that I have grown to admire and trust and why I call this forum my home...I wouldn't want it any other way...:kiss:

Am I a member of this very select, close group Tramp? (Just wondering :))

-Jake

DisJosh

Wow Dawn you said what I've been thinking for the longest time! But when I say it just comes out uhhh wrong. :D

The Mom

Premium Member
Originally posted by DisneyExpert

Am I a member of this very select, close group Tramp? (Just wondering :))

-Jake

I think I am! ;) (Tramp, you old dog, you! :kiss:)

And I'm also one of the "originals." (Or was that Mistress Marcia? I forget. :goodnevil She hasn't been around much lately.)

Castle Cake Apologist

Originally posted by The Mom

I think I am! ;) (Tramp, you old dog, you! :kiss:)

And I'm also one of the "originals." (Or was that Mistress Marcia? I forget. :goodnevil She hasn't been around much lately.)

Yeah, where is Mom? Mooooooooooooom! I'm thinkin' of ya, where ever you may be... :)

mightyduck

Dawn, I agree. I hope Tramp thinks of me as one of his friends, because I certainly think of him as one of mine. In fact, the old dog is partly responsible for my meeting my sweetie (okay, everyone in unison: "Awwww....").

This place is my happy place, sometimes my laughing place, and always a comfort place. When people write negative stuff, I usually just ignore 'em (unless they attack my friends, in which case it's hard to keep quiet!).

I'm focusing on keeping the chit chat in chit chat chit-chatty. :)

jmarc63

Dawn, I am glad you said that.

I have been reading posts for about a year , then the begining of july I was interested in looking on a thread for Mission space( this is originally how i found the site looking for rumors for Mission Space) which had a link which was a members only link, so in july I decided to sign up to be a member.

And I have been making posts to others thread, Then I started my own threads. Shortly ther after I started a thread for "the Haunted Mansion 3D" http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11969&perpage=15&pagenumber=1 and all the people that like to put others down seem to come out of the wood work on this one.!! Goofett knows what I am talking about she was the only one with something totaly positive to say about my Ideas. and commented on how rude thre others had been. What really annoyed me was there seem to be two picticular members on the boards that constantly cut me down along with other people. And what really ed me off is a member that is listed as a "WDWMagic contribitor" was totaly rude by telling me that I would have "to deal with it" giving me the impression that it was ok to be rude since the members were here before me or had more posts than I did at that time or some such other reason that I can't fathom a guess at.

Or totaly going off thread and talking about other unrelated things and totaly ignoring me the thread starter. I dont usualy stoop to thoes levels but the old adage of "Fight Fire With Fire" seem preety good right about now. One thing that was interesting is that these members dont list a birth year if the list a B-day at all, Leading me to belive these are Punk kids that dont know what there talking about.

I consider my self somewhat of an expert on WDW for the peroid od 1970 to 79. since I was there every year durring thoes years lurking around taking walks in later years to places like where EPCOT is now and talking to CM like there were all friends of the family.so when someone like these certain members tell me I dont know what I am talking about this just proves there ignorance to me. well I'll get off mt soap box for now.

Castle Cake Apologist

Don't let post counts fool you. You just joined this month, I joined when the forums started over a year ago and you already have more posts then me! :lol: Granted my life is VERY busy, so you prolly have more time then me, lol.

Talsonic

Account Suspended
Another opinion.

I would like to present a different viewpoint concerning this matter. I was a looong time lurker before I even felt comfortable putting up my first post. During this time, I have seen 'em come (new members) and seen 'em go. Some of "the old guard" on this board tend to circle the wagons and run off new members or make them feel unwelcome. Some members go so far as to use PM's, email and/or the PML to plan strategies to "deal" with other members. I have observed several instances in which "charter" members have used foul language, engaged in name calling or have purposely "baited" other members. I know that if I were to engage in any of those practices, I would be kicked off the board (and rightly so). However, some of these long time members seem to be given free reign to say and do what other members dare not even suggest. There is no question that a double standard (really triple standard) exists on this board. I have learned that it is just best to ignore some of the "privileged" folks on this board and/or to supplicate myself to their opinions (no matter how wrong they might be). This board is very useful and a lot of good information can be found here. You just have to steer clear of the BIG EGOS and the little dictators. Please don't misunderstand. Most of the members here are good people but as in any group you'll always find a few that want to run things "their way". I recall a highly respected member of this board that had as his signature, "Another one bites the dust". He seemed to take great joy in seeing members kicked off the board. Not very Ohana to my way of thinking. Anyhow, JMHO.

P.S. What's it like when you come home and find someone in your underwear? I have never had the experience. However, depending upon the person, it could be a good thing, right?:lol:

The Mom

Premium Member
I think it all evens out in the end. Certainly, I might be given more latitude from time to time (although I very rarely use vulgarities...which doesn't mean that I can't outswear anyone...I just choose not to. ;) ) than newer members, but even I don't have carte blanche around here! (Which is as it should be, BTW!) Sometimes the moderators are too busy to pick up on something, but more likely, they're apt to give a long standing member the benefit of the doubt. When someone "new" comes on and starts tearing things apart, he/she is more suspect than a "regular" giving into a bad day or experience. I suppose that may seem unfair to some, but it is human nature.

I've said it a hundred times before...sometimes it's NOT what you say, but who you are, and how well I know you! If Jay-Rod rags me about my age & eyesight, or Tramp makes off color remarks, I don't mind because they're "old friends." If someone new were to come on and say the exact same thing, I'd be upset.

mightyduck

Talsonic, while I agree that sometimes there are people here having a bad day--it happens to most of us at some point--to say that there is a double or triple standard is to criticize Steve, who runs these boards with the cash out of his own pocket (and yes, with the cash of those of us who call this place home and feel like we owe him some rent for spending all day on his couch! :lol:

I would just like to say that there are many, many times when the whole story isn't apparent because Steve is quick to delete offensive posts or threads (even those of "premium" members). He also has been known to use private communication to advise members, premium or otherwise, on how he wishes for people to behave. There are instances where it may seem people are "running someone out" when that person has sent harassing PMs, IMs, or emails to members here (it's happened, and Steve has responded quickly).

I would also point out that Steve has gotten to know those of us who have been here awhile as individuals. He knows are personalities, quirks, etc. Just because you don't see him publicly upbraid someone doesn't mean he didn't respond. I've never seen him discuss anything about anyone's behavior publicly without first trying to handle it through private conversations.

And overall, I think we welcome new members here. The more the merrier! :)

Sorry to hear that you feel this place isn't run with a sense of fairness. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom