Christmas time!!!

Jedi Osborn

We're (me, my wife and my then 20 month old daughter) hoping to make it to The Land of Mickey this Christmas season. We've stayed at C. Beach and Dixie Landings and are thinking about someplace different. What hotel do you think has the best Christmas spirit? You know, the deocrations, the music, the whole thing.

Worldphile

Wilderness Lodge. The decorations there are amazing, and the cooler weather in December adds to the atmosphere of the whole resort.

One of our favorite things to do in the evening after the parks close is tp get a hot chocolate from the Roaring Fork and then sit by the fireplace in the lobby.

We've stayed there the past two Christmases and loved every minute of it.

Upvote 0

FanofDinsey1981

Originally posted by Worldphile
Wilderness Lodge. The decorations there are amazing, and the cooler weather in December adds to the atmosphere of the whole resort.

One of our favorite things to do in the evening after the parks close is tp get a hot chocolate from the Roaring Fork and then sit by the fireplace in the lobby.

We've stayed there the past two Christmases and loved every minute of it.

D'Accord. It is beautiful there in the christmas time!!

Upvote 0

Coronado

Wilderness Lodge.... is the best. and while you are there you can go and see the light show at Disney Studios.....they named them after you (Osborn light show)

Upvote 0

Jedi Osborn

Original Poster
Thanks for the tips. We've been considering the WL so it sounds like we'll be checking them out. Only problem is, we tend to make good use of the food court at Dixie or C beach when we go. And I hear that WL doesn't have a comparable food area. Is that true?

Coronodo - I know, isn't that cool??!! Too bad there's an 'e' on the end of their Osborn. But Photoshop can usually take care of that for our pictures
:D

Upvote 0

leeocean

Grand Floridian - they have a beautiful tree and a HUGE gingerbread house (it's really gingerbread) that is a candy store. The rest of the resort is decorated just as magnificient.

However, the WL is my favorite resort. There isn't a food court but they have a cafeteria type cafe which is definitely sufficient for cheap quick eats. Plus it is kept very clean.

Upvote 0

Worldphile

Originally posted by Jedi Osborn
Thanks for the tips. We've been considering the WL so it sounds like we'll be checking them out. Only problem is, we tend to make good use of the food court at Dixie or C beach when we go. And I hear that WL doesn't have a comparable food area. Is that true?

Coronodo - I know, isn't that cool??!! Too bad there's an 'e' on the end of their Osborn. But Photoshop can usually take care of that for our pictures
:D

WL has a snack bar called Roaring Fork. It's a counter service type place. We use it for breakfast since it is pretty reasonable price wise (by WDW standards) and it is on the way to the dock for the boat to the MK. There is also the Whispering Canyon Cafe which is casual dining with, um, "very outgoing" cast members. It can be a very fun experience.

Artist Point is the high end, fine dining restaurant in the WL. I highly recommend it if you want a nice quiet dinner with your significant other. You'll need reservations if you want to eat during prime time.

Also, if you have never been to WDW at Christmas before, carve out some time to travel to the other resorts and check out their decorations as well. Each resort has unique decorations that follows the resort theme and are definitely worth seeing.

Upvote 0

Huggups

Wilderness Lodge is definitely the most decorated and the loveliest during the holidays. :dazzle: I think the place is pretty full around the holidays because I called for a reservation at the WL Villas and were told they were full for most of the week of December 8th as was the Boardwalk Villas which another nice place for Christmas. :brick: Although I haven't stayed at the Cornado Springs, the resort looks really nice.

It also depends on what you would like to spend as both the WL and Boardwalk are a bit pricey. Good luck in whatever you choose. I'm sure all the resorts will be decorated beautifully for the holidays. Have fun!:sohappy:

Upvote 0

Jedi Osborn

Original Poster
Worldphile - Thanks for the tips on eating at the lodge. We had kind of ruled it out becuase of the food court thing. Maybe now I'll consider it again. We just like to have a relaxing breakfast at our resort before we head out to the parks. And then its always nice to know that if you're not in the mood to eat dinner at the parks, you can always go back and grab something quick at the food court. Does that sound like something we'll be able to do?
We're not much of sit down restaurant types, we'll visit one or two during a weeks stay, but most of the time we're on the move.

Huggups - You may be running into the pop warner super bowl. I hear its going to be the week of the 8th.

Upvote 0

Worldphile

Worldphile - Thanks for the tips on eating at the lodge. We had kind of ruled it out becuase of the food court thing. Maybe now I'll consider it again. We just like to have a relaxing breakfast at our resort before we head out to the parks. And then its always nice to know that if you're not in the mood to eat dinner at the parks, you can always go back and grab something quick at the food court. Does that sound like something we'll be able to do?
We're not much of sit down restaurant types, we'll visit one or two during a weeks stay, but most of the time we're on the move.

Huggups - You may be running into the pop warner super bowl. I hear its going to be the week of the 8th.

Jedi,

We've only eaten breakfast at the snack bar. We usually eat lunch in the parks, and then dinner in the parks or another resort. I've never eaten there for dinner. It has basic snack bar type food (i.e. cheeseburgers, chicken nuggets, pizza (i think), nachos, etc.) There are tables where you can sit and eat.

I would probably eat dinner at the Whispering Canyon Cafe (WCC) over the snack bar, but that is a personal preference. I've never eaten at the food courts, but I would guess that price-wise, the WCC and a food court would be pretty close. WCC is pretty casual and kid friendly.

BTW, the hot tub at WL is another plus. After a long day in the parks, soaking your tired legs in a hot tub under the stars is mighty refreshing. :)

Upvote 0

Jedi Osborn

Original Poster
Thanks a lot. We'll have to look into the pricing. I see they're running some great fall specials, so hopefully they'll do the same for winter.
How's the transportation from WL? I've heard you have to share busses with other resorts? That would kind of stink.

Upvote 0

Worldphile

I don't remember the bus service being remarkable one way or the other. It was pretty average to me. Getting to the MK is via a boat which may make one other stop (either the contemporary or the campground) but is still pretty quick.

Going to AK by bus I do remember stopping at the GF (and maybe the Polynesian?) but overall, I didn't have any complaints about the transportation.

I guess you could take the boat to the MK and then hop a bus to another park, but I don't know that that would save you much time.

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

I agree the lodge is probably the nicest for the season, but the transportation isn't great.

The busses are shared with the Grand Floridian and Polynesian. This means long bus rides (and full busses too). The only advantage is the boat to the Magic Kingdom.

Upvote 0

Jedi Osborn

Original Poster
Interesting.
For as nice at the polynesian and WL sound, maybe C beach/Dixie are better suited to our needs. They have the food court and the transportion is good.
I just feel like trying someplace different, but if that someplace isn't going to be what we're looking for, I guess its not worth it.

Thanks for all the info.

Upvote 0

Huggups

Thanks Jedi for the warning. That may explain why both the WL & the BW were full for that week.:cry:

Upvote 0

goonsquads57

If you've stayed at "Dixie Landings', (now known as "Port Orleans Riverside") why not try Port Orleans-French Quarter? We stay there every year, except last year, and love it. It's a moderate resort with a food court. The best thing is that it's the smallest resort on the property, so you never have to fight any crowds. You can take a nice boatride to DTD. But you knew that from your stay at "Dixie".

Upvote 0

Jedi Osborn

Original Poster
I just have a hard time giving up the old name. It'll always be Dixie to me!!

I've thought about the French Quarter. But I'm not sure if I'll be into the whole mardi gras style themeing.

Thanks for the thought though.

Upvote 0

conntom

the Grosvenor is a good hotel. You can hop on there shuttle
bus to all the Parks. You can walk across the street to Down
town Disney the Grosvenor is an Official Disney World Hotel.
the Christmas spirit at the Hotel is ok but the Price of the Hotel
is better then some the morning buffet is A1 and the staff are
very friendy to all. I have ben to this 10 times I love it :sohappy:

Upvote 0

Yellow Shoes

Here's my 2 cents on Wilderness Lodge.

Yes, the busses go to the Poly and GF before they go to MGM or Epcot. I though it was neat to see the other resorts. Plus, WL is the first stop, and you will always have a seat. (I thought it was rather odd that the more $$ resort guests had to stand on the bus. Perhaps the perk was a shorter ride.)

WL (and AKL) are the least expensive deluxe resorts. You get queen beds (instead of doubles) and other little extras. In value season you will get some good discounts (as in, you can go deluxe for about the regular price of a moderate), so it is a good time to try.

Here is the menu from Roaring Forks snack bar. The big draw for me of WL is that it is a smaller resort in one building. It is a very short walk to the lobby, to the Mercantile (where you pick up packages delivered from the parks), and to food. That is not necessarily the case at CBR especially. (Did I mention that it is inside, so rain won't slow you down?)

ROARING FORKS
Wilderness Lodge
Counter Service
Menu Date: April 2001
Breakfast 7 am - 11 am
Lunch/Dinner 11 am - 11pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BREAKFAST
Sausage Patty & Biscuit - Sausage patty with cheese served on a large biscuit accompanied by hash browns $3.79
Breakfast Sandwich - Egg, ham and cheese on a Kaiser Roll accompanied by hash browns $4.49
Breakfast Plate - Scrambled eggs, 2 strips of bacon accompanied by hash browns $4.49
Breakfast Pizza - Choice of bacon, ham or sausage $4.59
Hot Oatmeal - $1.99
Assorted Cold Cereals with milk - $1.99
Fresh Fruit Cup - $2.99
Assorted Yogurts - $1.99
Whole Fresh Fruit - $0.99
Assorted Muffins - $1.69
Assorted Bagels - $1.89
Croissants - $1.89
Pecan Sticky Buns - $2.59
Danish - $2.59

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LUNCH and DINNER
Philly Steak Sandwich Basket - Shaved marinated beef,mozzarella cheese, and grilled onions on a lodge bakery roll with French fries $5.89
Marinated chicken breast sandwich - served w/ French fries $6.29
All beef hot dog basket served w/ French fries $4.69
Chili dog basket served w/ French fries $4.99
Hamburger basket served w/ French fries $5.49; cheeseburger $5.89
Chicken Strips Basket with fries - $5.99
Smoked Turkey Sandwich - $5.79
Chicken Salad Sandwich - $5.79
Tuna Salad Sandwich - $5.79
Chicken Wrap Sandwich - $5.89
Peanut Butter & Jelly w/ chips $3.49
Personal Pizza - Cheese $4.59; Pepperoni $ 4.89; Sausage $4.89

Also daily specials (usually one item, such as BBQ chicken basket).

SIDES
Garden Salad - $2.69
Chuck Wagon Chili or Soup - $2.69
French Fries - $1.69
Nacho Chips with Cheese - $2.89

DESSERT
Soft serve $2.99|
Mini bundt cake $1.89
Cupcake $1.89
Juicy Gel $1.49
Assorted Cookies $1.69
Brownies and Magic Cookie Bars - $2.29
Granola Bars $1.29

BEVERAGES
Assorted Juices - $1.49
Milk - $0.99
Coffee,Hot Tea, Hot Chocolate - $1.79
Bottled Water $2.29
PowerAde - $2.49
Fruitopia - $2.49
Fountain Soft Drinks - Large $1.99 and Small $1.69
Beer Domestic - $3.99
Beer Import - $4.29

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom