Pirates Queue

Oddysey

Is the Davy Jones effect still broken? It was down in early February during my last visit but I haven't heard any updates lately. How hard of a fix could it possibly be?

It was working two weeks ago only it was Blackbeard instead of Davy Jones.

JohnLocke

I don't understand the need for an interactive queue, it just seems like a waste here. The queue mostly moves fast anyway, and there's something interesting around every corner once you get inside the building. Soarin' could use one because there's nothing to that queue, this and the Haunted Mansion don't.

Bairstow

I like the idea of interactive queues, and sometimes they pull it off really well (See Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Eye).

However, touchscreens everywhere simply doesn't fit in a "world" that wouldn't have touchscreens in it (Pooh, Pirates, etc.)
Hopefully that's not what there doing here.

Samoht

It seems like people are forgetting the type of people that make up the majority of WDW customers. They are families. These families are filled with people that are getting spoiled by modern media. A static display does not have the same effect and excitment for a child as it use to they most will end up playing with a cell phone.

A child playing with a cell phone in a line is not involved in the disney experiance like a child playing with games and interactive elemants themed to the story of the atraction. The time that a child is not involed is time they are losing to expand the brand and build loyalty.

THIS!!!
I think it's great that Disney is trying to make the waiting in line experience easier and more enjoyable for small children and families. I appreciate that the rides hold memories for most of us but does it really ruin it the way some are acting like it does? Waiting in line is boring. Trying to liven it up can't be a bad thing IMO.

gerryu21220

I think it really depends on the attraction. As far as The Haunted Mansion goes, it was totally unnecessary and completely changed the original premise of the attraction as a whole. It changed from a visit to a "real" haunted house to a total fantasy world, with spoilers. The ghosts are not supposed to appear or interact until much later, and having graves for imported ghosts is illogical in a family plot.

bhg469

I think it really depends on the attraction. As far as The Haunted Mansion goes, it was totally unnecessary and completely changed the original premise of the attraction as a whole. It changed from a visit to a "real" haunted house to a total fantasy world, with spoilers. The ghosts are not supposed to appear or interact until much later, and having graves for imported ghosts is illogical in a family plot.
I have to disagree. I feel like it adds to an attraction that I loved before and I love now. I wish HM could be longer. Its my favorite attraction and any attention it gets is great and I know will be tastefully done.

gerryu21220

I too wish HM was longer. However, there was no need for the noisy kiddie playground in the queue area. It was originally intentionally designed to be a static pre-show. Quiet. Serene. Only the howl of the wolf to give an air of foreboding. Humorous epitaphs on tombstones of family members who [supposedly] once lived in the house to lighten the mood somewhat. All part of the build-up to the swinging wake near the end. After the exit is where that playground belongs – after all the ghosts have been revealed. As it is now, it's totally illogical. Makes no sense whatsoever.

I can't imagine what kind of interactive elements they could possibly add to POTC without having the same kind of disruption to the flow of the show. Then again, the show was already messed up when they built it in 1973 by omitting half the original show, so I suppose they can't mess it up much more than it already is.

dreamscometrue

I too wish HM was longer. However, there was no need for the noisy kiddie playground in the queue area. It was originally intentionally designed to be a static pre-show. Quiet. Serene. Only the howl of the wolf to give an air of foreboding. Humorous epitaphs on tombstones of family members who [supposedly] once lived in the house to lighten the mood somewhat. All part of the build-up to the swinging wake near the end. After the exit is where that playground belongs – after all the ghosts have been revealed. As it is now, it's totally illogical. Makes no sense whatsoever.

You are completely correct about how it was originally designed. So...the Imagineers at that time created that story, and recent Imagineers decided to add this queue element. In the minds of the latter, they were 'plussing' the attraction. Nothing wrong doing that to attractions no matter how sacred they are. The issue becomes one of whether the park guests like us agree or disagree with the manner in which this is done. Only we 'hard core' Disney fans would have any concept of the 'story' of the ride. Of that group, some will dislike the queue, while others will have no problem with it. Although I appreciate that some people believe this to be illogical, I see it much like an overture before a musical, with snippets of what's inside. I have no problem with the new queue at all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom