Caribbean v. Port Orleans Riverside

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
Hi All,

So my DH and I are currently booked for free dining at the Poly. After taking a more realistic look at the old finances, we might be stretching it a bit too thin for the Deluxe experience this time around. So we are looking at Moderate Resorts. Either the Caribbean or Port Orleans Riverside. We have stayed not at either, or any moderates before. So i'm looking for some reviews and opinions on which you like better. And opinions on staying at moderate resorts.

We would hopefully get a pirate room at Caribbean and the new princess room at Port Orleans. If anyone has personal photos as well, that would be much appreciated. I have seen the pics provided on the planning websites.

Thank you so much for all of your help and advice!!! :wave:

captainkidd

Stayed at both, and I would probably choose Riverside simply because as big as it is, it's not quite as spread out as CBR. Also, CBR's front desk is located in a different building than the food and shops. It's nice having everything in one building.

CBR rooms are a tad bigger (340 sq ft to 314 sq ft), but it's hardly noticeable. I haven't stayed in the Pirate Rooms but I have read several reviews complaining the beds are uncomfortable.

Upvote 0

real mad hatter

Pors.

Also stayed at both,can't fault any but we fell in love with riverside even better than FQ. CBR was our first visit and it seems so long ago but we did enjoy it.:wave:

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Riverside all the way. It has a much better resort layout, queen size beds and the princess rooms are far more elaborate then the pirate rooms.

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

Original Poster
So i just called to see if it was still available because the person I spoke to this a.m. said that I should make a decision soon. And in the past 4 hours - there are no more rooms available with the free dining. BUMMER! :brick: Has anyone had any luck with wanting a room at a resort and it not being available and then later it is available?

Upvote 0

stuart

Riverside is your resort of choice. Think my signature will speak for itself. It is a nicer resort and although we havent stayed at cbr, friends have, and thought it was too spread out. Riverside is spread out but as has been said, not as bad as cbr.

That said, if you are after a princess room, they are located in two of the mansion buildings relatively near the front of hotel - lobby/food court etc

As for rooms, friend of mine went to book fq, but booked next day and it was gone so went to cbr - early part of this year. Then a couple weeks later rooms at fq were available again, minus free dining so you may be lucky.

If you want the lowdown on riverside then check out www.portorleans.org

Upvote 0

bethymouse

Both are good choices

Wow- booked already!:confused:
POR is beautiful! I don't care for Boatwright's though.:(
The horse carriage is a nice touch just to watch.:)
The boat to DD or POFQ is a wonderful experience!
Didn't like the pool because of the tree "stuff" in it, but it's ok. The slide is nice.
Did not stay in a newly renovated "princess room". Just a standard room- no view.

CBR is also beautiful! Yes- the check-in building is in a different building than food, etc... but that didn't present a problem!
CMs were very accommodating. It was my Mom's 70th birthday and they treated her like a queen- especially @ Shutter's. Just ok food.

Could see the EPCOT fireworks from the beach.
The pool is nice and there is a pirate pool for the kids.

It is a very large resort w/ only bus transportation, and that can get tricky!:lookaroun

Lots of "disney" ducks and turtles/huge fish to feed:) We liked walking over the bridge. It was pretty. Did not stay in a pirate room ( they're farther from the food/souvenirs/pools).
Good luck in your choice!:animwink:

Upvote 0

vjgraham

So i just called to see if it was still available because the person I spoke to this a.m. said that I should make a decision soon. And in the past 4 hours - there are no more rooms available with the free dining. BUMMER! :brick: Has anyone had any luck with wanting a room at a resort and it not being available and then later it is available?

I would definitely pick either of the Port orleans resorts over CBR. That being said I have heard that the themed rooms at CBR and POR are nice but they are located in buildings furthest away from main buildings and restaurant area. To answer your question about the rooms, yes we have had luck booking a room we wanted after being told all were sold out. I just checked online every day until I saw something open up. Sometimes people may cancel but the closer it gets to the trip the harder it would be to catch a break. We booked POR and really wanted POFQ. I tried every day for over a week and finally one day saw an opening. I immediately called and had reservations changed over to POFQ and got rooms confirmed. Good luck,

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

Original Poster
Welp...I didn't get POR but I did change the reservation to Pirate Room at CBR. I'm happy with the change. Trying to come up with the funds this year for a Deluxe experience was just too much stress and pressure. Now I feel like this is going to happen and I'm really excited. The Cast Member told me to call once a week or so between now and Julyish, then call every day. She said that people make changes all the time. So hopefully something will come up. But knowing me...i'm going to call every day! :lol: I really want that Royal Room!!! :sohappy:

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

I'm sure you'll have a great time either way, but yes, keep checking for royal rooms! The royal rooms are close to the main building at POR -- at CBR, the pirate rooms are far away from it. Also, as a previous poster noted, at POR you get Queen-sized beds instead of double. Plus, fiber-optics! In! The! Headboard! You can't beat a bed with special effects. ; )

Upvote 0

real mad hatter

Shhh.

I'm sure you'll have a great time either way, but yes, keep checking for royal rooms! The royal rooms are close to the main building at POR -- at CBR, the pirate rooms are far away from it. Also, as a previous poster noted, at POR you get Queen-sized beds instead of double. Plus, fiber-optics! In! The! Headboard! You can't beat a bed with special effects. ; )

I've just been reading your blog out loud and then I said "you can't beat a bed with special effects"My DW eyes lit up,so I said " calm down honey,were talking fibre optic lights here":ROFLOL:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom