Habit Heros getting some negative attention!

NewfieFan

Original Poster
Came across this article posted on a friend's facebook page.

http://danceswithfat.wordpress.com/2012/02/24/deeply-disappointed-in-disney/

What are your thoughts?

I haven't seen the attraction but it was on my list of things to do during our upcoming trip in April. Never thought of the villians as shaming to those who are overweight but again I haven't seen the attraction, only read reviews about it.

I just noticed I spelled Heroes wrong... oops!

wilkeliza

I don't know if I should take this person seriously or not. I don't think what Disney did was to set out to "shame" children for being fat. This is our society now though. NO ONE wants to be told that what they are doing is wrong and they need to change. The mentality is so what if my 3 year old wants to eat a bucket of fried chicken he should be able to so that me telling him no doesn't hurt his fragile little mind. I applaud Disney for once again trying to make education about healthy eating fun. Between their get out and play initiative that you see in the commercial breaks on Disney channel and this as well as trying to make their food options at the parks more healthy they are trying to be a positive influence on children.

I really wish parents/people in general would stop complaining about their children and start teaching them how to live health lives.

Also if your children are over-weight and you don't want to "shame" them then don't let them play the game. Ignore it and go about your merry way. NO one is forcing you to play.

jakeman

I'm confused...Disney is in trouble for promoting healthy eating habits?

I haven't done the attraction, but the pictures she posted of the "villains" all have a description of why they are fat based on their actions and choices not: "He was born this way and his soul is fat and ugly like his face".

Her main complaint seems to be that kids "may" look like one of the villains. They are cartoonish in every sense of the word.

Bottom line is being overweight and/or obese is a health issue as it is a risk factor for long term issues. Just because someone is overweight and feels "healthy" now doesn't mean they aren't doing serious long term damage to their body. Our bodies simply aren't designed to carry around a significant amount of extra weight for a long period of time.

NewfieFan

Original Poster
To me the villians look very cartoonish and don't look like "humans"!

My family works really hard to stay healthy and I for one don't have a problem with the images of the villians. If someone in my family was overweight and "resembled" one of the villians... would it offend me... honestly, I don't know!?!

I know shaming children about their weight is not the answer to the problem. But how do you educate and not offend? Was there a way that Disney could do this and keep everybody happy in the process? :shrug:

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
The number 1 thing on my list about our culture/society in this country that annoys the ever living _____ out of me is, that we are way to freaking sensitive and look for things that "offend" us.

This is ridiculous and the article is pathetic.

If she is crying over something like this, repeatedly as she states, her world is very small.

That is all. Im out.

EDIT: I have not seen the attraction, so I cant say first hand how it interacts with the kids. I read the comments below the article and I cant get upset with the people that have commented without seeing it first hand, as I have done the same and given my opinion. I think the thing that urks me (and I have stated, 'from a distance') is that from what i understand, the writer is speculating that kids will look up and see the 3 bad characters and automatically associate themselves as these cartoon characters, which in turn, will lead to a horrible remaining vacation, low self esteem, future bad grades, failing out of school, living in a van down by the river... and possibly jumping in front a train one day. That is a lot of assuming (just like i just did)

wilkeliza

My favorite was reading the responses.

One woman claimed she "searched" for fresh fruit and healthier options for her children when on vacation at Disney and couldn't find any and that she saw children walking around with sodas. First off I drink far more soda than I should but am still a healthy weight and pretty healthy other wise. The only thing the soda has done to me is destroy my teeth but besides that I balance the calories and sugar I get from soda by eating smaller portions and less sugar foods the rest of the day. Also the whole she couldn't find healthy options at Disney debate is just plain wrong. Every dinning establishment has Milk, Water, or Juice as a drink option and a fruit as a side option instead of desert. You can also get a salad instead of fries at every quick service restaurant. At POP! alone you could get a fresh banana, pineapple, apples, or grapes and all of them could be bought with a quick service credit or paid for.

If you are so worried about being offended why not change your lifestyle and work to loose the weight. I'm so tired of people saying they can't or it is too hard or their body is just built that way. Being at the high end of a healthy weight scale is very different than being obese. Anyone can loose weight if they work with their doctor to develop a plan that works for them. Calories in vs. Calories burned will always result in either 3 things weight gain, weight lose, or no change. If you change one of the two portions of the equation something will happen. If you are happy being over weight than ignore this game, if you are ashamed by your weight change you don't ask the world to change because you are sensitive. This isn't a "born this way" issue.

NewfieFan

Original Poster
My favorite was reading the responses.

One woman claimed she "searched" for fresh fruit and healthier options for her children when on vacation at Disney and couldn't find any and that she saw children walking around with sodas. First off I drink far more soda than I should but am still a healthy weight and pretty healthy other wise. The only thing the soda has done to me is destroy my teeth but besides that I balance the calories and sugar I get from soda by eating smaller portions and less sugar foods the rest of the day. Also the whole she couldn't find healthy options at Disney debate is just plain wrong. Every dinning establishment has Milk, Water, or Juice as a drink option and a fruit as a side option instead of desert. You can also get a salad instead of fries at every quick service restaurant. At POP! alone you could get a fresh banana, pineapple, apples, or grapes and all of them could be bought with a quick service credit or paid for.

If you are so worried about being offended why not change your lifestyle and work to loose the weight. I'm so tired of people saying they can't or it is too hard or their body is just built that way. Being at the high end of a healthy weight scale is very different than being obese. Anyone can loose weight if they work with their doctor to develop a plan that works for them. Calories in vs. Calories burned will always result in either 3 things weight gain, weight lose, or no change. If you change one of the two portions of the equation something will happen. If you are happy being over weight than ignore this game, if you are ashamed by your weight change you don't ask the world to change because you are sensitive. This isn't a "born this way" issue.

I read some of the comments as well. I have no idea how you couldn't find healthy options at WDW!?! My kids actually eat healthier when we're at Disney. We get more fresh fruit and veggies at WDW than we do at home! Also, my children drink more water at Disney! No one can tell me they went to Disney and couldn't find something healthy for their kids to eat! The kids meals all have healthy sides, even if you're giving them a hotdog.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
There always seems to be a fine ever changing line between shaming someone and a swift kick in the by reality. If this wakes a single parent up and gets them to buy apples over apple pie then it is worth it. We can make all the excuses we want, but we are unhealthy as a nation mostly due to eating crap and not moving.

lebeau

The number 1 thing on my list about our culture/society in this country that annoys the ever living _____ out of me is, that we are way to freaking sensitive and look for things that "offend" us.

Really, that's your #1 problem with our society? I can easily think up 10 greater societal ills than political correctness.

I hope you're exaggertaing. Because otherwise your perspective on American society is pretty out of whack.

lebeau

There always seems to be a fine ever changing line between shaming someone and a swift kick in the by reality. If this wakes a single parent up and gets them to buy apples over apple pie then it is worth it. We can make all the excuses we want, but we are unhealthy as a nation mostly due to eating crap and not moving.

Very true. I wonder if they use that line verbatim?

invader

I'm afraid for America's future. We have such an entitlement mentality. Like really? You're going to protest going to Disney because they promoting healthy eating habits? Suck it up.

lebeau

I'm afraid for America's future. We have such an entitlement mentality. Like really? You're going to protest going to Disney because they promoting healthy eating habits? Suck it up.

I get what you are saying. This woman is being ridiculous and I left a comment to that effect. It's currently being pending approval. We'll have to see if she actually allows some contrary points of view on her site.

Slightly off topic, one of my pet peeves is people worrying about America's future because <fill in the blank>. Every generation thinks the younger generation is screwing up. Everyone thinks there was some Golden Age in the past and things are going to heck in the present. (For a very entertaining look at this, check out Midnight in Paris - wonderful movie.)

There have always been people who were over-sensitive about things. They just didn't have a blog to broadcast their ridiculous points of view. This isn't a sign of the fall of Western civilization.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I get what you are saying. This woman is being ridiculous and I left a comment to that effect. It's currently being pending approval. We'll have to see if she actually allows some contrary points of view on her site.

Slightly off topic, one of my pet peeves is people worrying about America's future because <fill in the blank>. Every generation thinks the younger generation is screwing up. Everyone thinks there was some Golden Age in the past and things are going to heck in the present. (For a very entertaining look at this, check out Midnight in Paris - wonderful movie.)

There have always been people who were over-sensitive about things. They just didn't have a blog to broadcast their ridiculous points of view. This isn't a sign of the fall of Western civilization.
Quite true. If you dig deep enough you will find that people have been calling for the fall of society due to X or Y since, well the beginning of society. The internet has simply provided a globe encompassing bull horn to anyone with a smart phone or laptop. Quite frequently those with a screw or two loose scream the loudest and look like a majority.

As to the original topic, child hood obesity is a big problem. Our bodies are hardwired to crave sugar and fat. 100 years ago those substances were almost hard to come by. Now they are the cheapest most abundant food type. It also does not help that we have become a largely sedentary society. Education is the first step to fixing the problem.

joel_maxwell

What Richard said.

Id rather get a swift kick in the than be coddled.

Really, that's your #1 problem with our society? I can easily think up 10 greater societal ills than political correctness.

I hope you're exaggertaing. Because otherwise your perspective on American society is pretty out of whack.
Yes, it was said with a "in the moment" over exaggeration just like the person of the article is making of her issue (IMHO). I should state it as "One of my big pet peeves about our society/culture." Of course I can find other things that bother me worse, but I didnt feel compelled to say, "The number 7 thing on my list about our culture/society in this country that annoys the ever living...."

joel_maxwell

Im glad you did. I wanted too, but figured it wouldnt get posted. I got $20 she doesnt. I didnt see any comments that challenged her article.

Yes, there has always been people over sensitive about things through the history of mankind, but like you said, it wasnt plastered all over social media, news sites and TV. It is in your face more, which is annoying to me.

joel_maxwell

As to the original topic, child hood obesity is a big problem. Our bodies are hardwired to crave sugar and fat. 100 years ago those substances were almost hard to come by. Now they are the cheapest most abundant food type. It also does not help that we have become a largely sedentary society. Education is the first step to fixing the problem.
McDonald's salad. Healthy choice? Marketing does a fantastic job of making things appear "point" free (If we were going by Weight Watchers system). I wonder what these would be in WW point system.

Southwest Salad with Grilled Chicken and Renee’s Ravin’ Raspberry Vinegrette
400 Calories
15.5g Fat
1000mg Sodium
13g of sugar

Mighty Caesar Entrée with Warm Crispy Chicken and Renee’s Mighty Caesar Dressing
700 Calories
54g Fat
1620mg sodium
2g sugar

lebeau

Yes, it was said with a "in the moment" over exaggeration just like the person of the article is making of her issue (IMHO). I should state it as "One of my big pet peeves about our society/culture." Of course I can find other things that bother me worse, but I didnt feel compelled to say, "The number 7 thing on my list about our culture/society in this country that annoys the ever living...."

That's cool. Like I said in a later post, people getting worked up over societal ills is a pet peeve of mine. My family has a tendency to feel superior and lecture about how the poor are destroying the country, blah blah blah. 40 years of that has made me cringe when I hear certain kinds of criticism.

But, I get what you're saying.

Im glad you did. I wanted too, but figured it wouldnt get posted. I got $20 she doesnt. I didnt see any comments that challenged her article.

Yes, there has always been people over sensitive about things through the history of mankind, but like you said, it wasnt plastered all over social media, news sites and TV. It is in your face more, which is annoying to me.

I would not take that bet. I don't really intend to go back and look. But like you said, all the comments are in agreement with her. I'm guessing she won't approve my comment.

At my blog, I allow and even encourage dissenting opinions. It gets really dull otherwise.

McDonald's salad. Healthy choice? Marketing does a fantastic job of making things appear "point" free (If we were going by Weight Watchers system). I wonder what these would be in WW point system.

Southwest Salad with Grilled Chicken and Renee’s Ravin’ Raspberry Vinegrette
400 Calories
15.5g Fat
1000mg Sodium
13g of sugar

Mighty Caesar Entrée with Warm Crispy Chicken and Renee’s Mighty Caesar Dressing
700 Calories
54g Fat
1620mg sodium
2g sugar

Totally agree.

I lost quite a bit of weight doing Atkins recently. My wife did it with me for two weeks before switching to WW. WW never works for her. She winds up eating a bunch of foods that are low in fat and high in carbs but are advertised like they are health food. In reality, it's unhealthy food in tiny portions with a high price tag.

joel_maxwell

That's cool. Like I said in a later post, people getting worked up over societal ills is a pet peeve of mine. My family has a tendency to feel superior and lecture about how the poor are destroying the country, blah blah blah. 40 years of that has made me cringe when I hear certain kinds of criticism.

But, I get what you're saying.
Cool. I just hate when I have to tip-toe around the person at the office, gym etc that gets offended if I call something by the wrong inappropriate term.

I lost quite a bit of weight doing Atkins recently. My wife did it with me for two weeks before switching to WW. WW never works for her. She winds up eating a bunch of foods that are low in fat and high in carbs but are advertised like they are health food. In reality, it's unhealthy food in tiny portions with a high price tag.
Yep, it still comes down to the basic principle of good choices, and exercise.

ddbowdoin

this person is an idiot...I'm fat, I know it sucks... but its my fault, no one elses. I would have loved to have grown up in a little more health conscious family, so this is great for kids

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom