Surprise Gift: Pin Trading - Yay or Nay?

71dsp

We've been to WDW a couple of times in the past two years and our son (7) has loved each visit (so did we!). We never did any pin trading, but my son doesn't know about the trip that my wife and I are planning for early 2012. So we're thinking of ways to surprise our son with the trip. I thought about buying a bunch of pins off of eBay, giving them to him as a Christmas gift (maybe even from Santa?), then letting him do some pin trading when we go to WDW.

Those of you who have done pin trading, do kids usually get a kick out of it?

rsoxguy

My daughter enjoyed it for a short time when she was young. In all honesty, she usually grew tired of it after a few CM's because she was busy "doing Disney" instead of thinking about pins. I do, however, remember her trading several times, and getting a kick out of it.
I would suggest a lanyard set, such as one of the sets available here http://www.laughingplacestore.com/Category-RC-601.asp. They can probably be found cheaper somewhere on the internet.

Upvote 0

Little John

My two daughters love pin trading. My oldest is 9 and youngest is 6, so they are right in the same age range. They have been trading for the last three trips, so now they have certain pins they are always trying to hunt down. Do save yourself some money by buying them before you go. I just got 50 pins from a vendor on Amazon for $75. They also sold them in smaller batches of 25 pins. It is alot better than paying for a starter set or $5/$6 bucks a pin in the parks.

Upvote 0

SyracuseOrange

My two daughters love pin trading. My oldest is 9 and youngest is 6, so they are right in the same age range. They have been trading for the last three trips, so now they have certain pins they are always trying to hunt down. Do save yourself some money by buying them before you go. I just got 50 pins from a vendor on Amazon for $75. They also sold them in smaller batches of 25 pins. It is alot better than paying for a starter set or $5/$6 bucks a pin in the parks.

While I agree this is a better deal, the sad truth is that a lot of these bulk sellers on eBay are selling either stolen or counterfeit pins.

Upvote 0

71dsp

Original Poster
While I agree this is a better deal, the sad truth is that a lot of these bulk sellers on eBay are selling either stolen or counterfeit pins.

Wow, interesting. I never thought that there would be a market for counterfeit Disney pins.

I think we'll at least buy a bulk pin set and a lanyard, so I'll need to find a place that I can get a good deal on the genuine product.

Upvote 0

JillC LI

When we took our kids on their third Disney trip when they were 9 (DD) and 11 (DS), we surprised them a few days beforehand with lanyards purchased off eBay and a box of 50 authentic pins purchased in bulk on eBay as well. They divvied up the pins, decided which ones they wanted to keep and which to trade, and they were so excited to trade pins for the first time. It turned out to be a special new aspect of their trip, one they will probably continue to enjoy on future trips. They weren't as interested in autographs as they had been on earlier trips, but the pins really kept their attention and made for some fun interactions with CMs. I'd give it a shot.

Upvote 0

71dsp

Original Poster
Thanks guys! I will shop around for genuine Disney pin packages and a lanyard. Hopefully he gets into it!

I guess it never crossed my mind that there would be a big enough market for counterfeit pins, but I see your point. I'll have to be diligent in my shopping to ensure that I get genuine pins.

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

Thanks guys! I will shop around for genuine Disney pin packages and a lanyard. Hopefully he gets into it!

I guess it never crossed my mind that there would be a big enough market for counterfeit pins, but I see your point. I'll have to be diligent in my shopping to ensure that I get genuine pins.

There is a huge market. Most of the pins you can buy for less than 2 bucks or so is almost definitely fake. Or was traded for a fake pin. Yes, some sellers do basically churn their fakes for reals and then sell the reals for more. Any lot that says you may receive different pins than pictured, any seller that sells large numbers of lots, or frequently lists the same single pins is most likely going to be selling fakes. You can find some singles for 2-3 bucks from reputable sellers but it takes some work.

Upvote 0

jlevis

There is a huge market. Most of the pins you can buy for less than 2 bucks or so is almost definitely fake. Or was traded for a fake pin. Yes, some sellers do basically churn their fakes for reals and then sell the reals for more. Any lot that says you may receive different pins than pictured, any seller that sells large numbers of lots, or frequently lists the same single pins is most likely going to be selling fakes. You can find some singles for 2-3 bucks from reputable sellers but it takes some work.

Fake is an interesting word. Disney gets their pins from jobbers in China. Sometimes, when the contract for a pin is fullfilled additional pins will be made above and beyond the contracted number and then the excess will be sold, primarly on ebay. This becomes a problem for collectors when it involves low number limited editions. It is also a problem when these pins are traded to CM's who don't discriminate and then trade them back to visitors who aren't careful or knowlegable.

Upvote 0

MissM

Fake is an interesting word. Disney gets their pins from jobbers in China. Sometimes, when the contract for a pin is fullfilled additional pins will be made above and beyond the contracted number and then the excess will be sold, primarly on ebay. This becomes a problem for collectors when it involves low number limited editions. It is also a problem when these pins are traded to CM's who don't discriminate and then trade them back to visitors who aren't careful or knowlegable.
Bingo. This is exactly it. So many people think that just because they are stamped on the back, or the seller has good feedback or that they traded with a CM that they are "real." Problem is that they're all "real" in the sense they're all made in the same factory from the same molds.

The difference is that if it's $1/pin, it's not authorized. It's overruns and seconds and things like that. Pieces made above and beyond the authorized run of the pin.

For "open stock" pins...it's not as big of a deal. It's a bit immoral depending on your take on the issue. For rares/Limited Editions and such, well, it really devalues your pin's rarity.

CM's don't really care and aren't going to do more than a cursory look at a pin and they will take your $1 ebay pins just fine. Odds are, most on their lanyards are also $1 ebay pins someone already traded them.

But if you don't want to be involved in all that, the only 100% sure way to know your pin is authorized is to buy it direct from Disney. Beyond that, it's kinda a crapshoot.

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

Bingo. This is exactly it. So many people think that just because they are stamped on the back, or the seller has good feedback or that they traded with a CM that they are "real." Problem is that they're all "real" in the sense they're all made in the same factory from the same molds.

The difference is that if it's $1/pin, it's not authorized. It's overruns and seconds and things like that. Pieces made above and beyond the authorized run of the pin.

So lets go with unauthorized then. Personally I hate it when people refer to them all as "scrappers" as most of the ones on the market now don't fall into what a true scrapper is. A true scrapper is one that would have normally been tossed for whatever reason. So they would grab them from the trash to resell. Now as the PP's pointed out, many are made in the same factories using the same equipment. They often use a thinner/lighter material, colors may not be perfect, but most people won't notice.
Some are completely fake, and have never been made in any shape or form for any market. One of the reason that most CMs don't care is they have no idea about the pin releases worldwide. WDW alone typically releases dozens of new pins a week. Adding in DLR, Disney Store, Disney Soda Fountain, WDI and CM exclusives add to that count. Never mind the ones that are exclusives to Paris, Tokyo, or Shanghai, Disney Store Japan, or any of a plethora of other legit sources.
Or for instance the Vinylmation pins. I think there are around 400 legit VM pins. But despite that, there are still several lines they have never made official pins out of, and some lines they only partially turned into pins. So it's very easy for a factory to take the art that gets publicly released for one of those non pin VMs, and crank out a fake pin that most people would have no idea was never made.
Some fake (never produced by Disney) pins were shown to the some CMs in charge of pin trading in the US, both VM and regular, and the CM had to go consult with their official books before they could say that they were definitely fake. Some of the fakes are that good.

For "open stock" pins...it's not as big of a deal. It's a bit immoral depending on your take on the issue. For rares/Limited Editions and such, well, it really devalues your pin's rarity.

CM's don't really care and aren't going to do more than a cursory look at a pin and they will take your $1 ebay pins just fine. Odds are, most on their lanyards are also $1 ebay pins someone already traded them.

But if you don't want to be involved in all that, the only 100% sure way to know your pin is authorized is to buy it direct from Disney. Beyond that, it's kinda a crapshoot.

And this is where the fuzzy lines come in. Are you planning on collecting/trading for value, or because you want to enjoy the hunt and like the pin for what it is? If you are trading for value, then you need to know exactly what you are looking for, and I can see you taking offense with the ease of obtaining unauthorized pins. But if your 7 yo son is the one trading, odds are he will just want that cool looking pin, and not have the slightest idea that it is unauthorized.

All that said, I still enjoy pin trading, and notice lots of kids that enjoy it as well. Saw one boy the last trip trade with a CM, and then trade one of his other pins with the same CM for the exact pin he had just traded away. His dad was like "Son, you just traded him that one." And the kid was like "So??" If you do buy any expensive pins, say as a memento of a special event, whatnot, you may want to keep those in the room otherwise they may get traded away very quickly. Heck, my mom spent our last trip trying to complete the villains bowling pin set. Somehow she had never done it before but had alot of fun tracking them down.

Upvote 0

mickeysshoes

I have not looked to see what they are offering, but the online Disney Store is having a 25% off sale for all Park merchandise. Might be worth checking out to see what they have. If you need me to forward a copy of the email with the code for the discount PM me and I will be glad to.

Upvote 0

jlevis

And this is where the fuzzy lines come in. Are you planning on collecting/trading for value, or because you want to enjoy the hunt and like the pin for what it is? If you are trading for value, then you need to know exactly what you are looking for, and I can see you taking offense with the ease of obtaining unauthorized pins. But if your 7 yo son is the one trading, odds are he will just want that cool looking pin, and not have the slightest idea that it is unauthorized.

All that said, I still enjoy pin trading, and notice lots of kids that enjoy it as well. Saw one boy the last trip trade with a CM, and then trade one of his other pins with the same CM for the exact pin he had just traded away. His dad was like "Son, you just traded him that one." And the kid was like "So??" If you do buy any expensive pins, say as a memento of a special event, whatnot, you may want to keep those in the room otherwise they may get traded away very quickly. Heck, my mom spent our last trip trying to complete the villains bowling pin set. Somehow she had never done it before but had alot of fun tracking them down.

If I had to label my wife and me I guess we're collectors. My wife collects Tinkerbelle and Lady & The Tramp. I collect any pin the includes Walt, Goofy or Lady & The Tramp. We buy our pins from Disney and neither of us trade. Beyond the morality of it fake or unautherized pins are not a direct concern for us. But wouldn't it be nice if Disney showed more concern? On one hand they actively protect their trademark on the other they ignore the unauthorized release of fake pins bearing their trademark. I don't know what they can do, or want to do, about it. But, trademark/copyright issues are real and they involve more than a kid at Disney trading a pin.

Upvote 0

71dsp

Original Poster
Thanks for the help! I ordered a number of pins from the Disney Store today. The coupon was actually on the site's front page this morning.

I complain enough about people buying Chinese knock offs of car parts, so I decided not to be part of the problem and ordered the pins directly though Disney.

I looked through a bunch of sellers on eBay, and some looked legit; however others obviously were not. There is one seller that actually has the pins shipped from China!! Anyway, many of the sellers have feedback from buyers that stated that the pins were scraps, seconds, or outright fakes.

I have not looked to see what they are offering, but the online Disney Store is having a 25% off sale for all Park merchandise. Might be worth checking out to see what they have. If you need me to forward a copy of the email with the code for the discount PM me and I will be glad to.

Upvote 0

jencor

So how can you tell if you have an "authorized" or "authentic" pin and you have a fake? Especially if trading. It sounds like the cm's are not even sure.

Upvote 0

jencor

Thank you for the link to the website. I have been thinking of starting this for a hobby, but wondering about the unknown. I will definitely look at it.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom