Bus Fire- Magic Kingdom

menamechris

See, we agree... except it seems like every little thing looks like a major failure. If a bus caught fire in Memphis, TN no one here would know. If it happened every day, no one here would know. But in this case all eyes are watching it, so every little things seem out of the ordinary.

An internal combustion engine is an explosion that us measured and contained within the engine. If something (even something small) goes wrong it can produce dramatic results. Busses are built (cars too) with fire protections that allow the engine to almost completely burn themselves up without impacting the passenger compartment. I am not yet ready to make the leap that this is a failure on the part of Disney transportation.

Who has said it is a failure? Obviously things like this will happen and do happen. Success or failure of the Disney Transport has nothing to do with whether or not management decides it would be more advantageous from a business standpoint to outsource that division and not have to deal with it internally. I am not saying that it will happen - I am just saying I wouldn't be shocked if it did...

menamechris

That will never happen, because it will be a downgrade in Guest service. I don't think Disney will ever put their name on the side of a bus that isn't owned by them except for Mears with DME, which is an exception because they are transporting Guests to/from property.

I would hope that this is true. But again, I wouldn't be shocked if they did. I am sure Disney could work up a contract with an outside company to provide this service while still having to act as "cast members" on property. Much like how certain recreation areas and other third party vendors operate throughout property.

RSoxNo1

Disney transportation is free, and the admission tickets went up a couple months ago... so ???

It is one of the largest transportation networks in all of Florida (#3 I think). I know in the major city I live in we have about as many incidents as they have a WDW and I would bet that their system is of similar size.

Disney transportation is built into your ticket price and hotel price. While you don't pay for the service directly, it is built into the other things you do pay for.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Disney Transportation has a better safety record than most public transportation systems, so I don't see how it would be in shambles. And ticket prices have nothing to do with transportation.

I'm not referring to the safety record but the continued downtime of one fleet of vehicles or another.

The Monorail system now closing before guests have left the park has become one screaming example and a PR disaster!

Xethos

Every vehicle on property runs a bio fuel, with the older RTS buses being one of the few exceptions because their motors can't handle that type of fuel. They get a good amount of their bio fuel from the used cooking oil across property.

Thats good to know at least, it would be foolish on their part not to take advatage of the amounts of cooking oil they must go through.

geubux

Obviously, having only an engineering degree, I am not as much of an expert as some of the negative posters.

Let's see: Bus fires: Yeah, they happen. Engines are not infallible and even timely maintenance cannot and will not prevent breakdowns. Sorry, tinkerbell is not a mechanic. They do not completely disassemble engines at every check...to expensive, so you can't see internal parts wearing.

Someone mentioned the fire extinguishers on buses and cars...they do not exist for cars and may only be required on public transportation to allow a little extra time for passengers to escape. Sorry, again us stupid engineers can't forsee or prevent everything.

Expand the monorail? First; it's very expensive to build and to run. Second; it's fun, but not a very efficient way to move passengers. Buses can be moved around the property much easier. Large crowd? Send extra buses. Hard to send extra monorails when they pretty much are operating in safety zones that would fill most of the beam.

What would I do? I'd add some light rail in places where we are moving high volumes of people: Like from TTC to Downtown Disney? Also, I would look at a new section of monorail beam...maybe Epcot to Studio or DTD? You want to build a following on both ends.:xmas:

meekoman

I don't remember the year, but once when I was down at WDW, a DCL bus caught fire on the Bee Line and was totally destroyed. That was a Mears operated vehicle, so it can happen to anyone. Think of the miles that are put on those buses each year.

Victor Kelly

Hopefully everyone is fine.

This stuff happens, I highly doubt Disney did it on purpose.

Please keep hyperventilating about this issue, but please obtain a brown paper bag first.

boufa

Obviously, having only an engineering degree, I am not as much of an expert as some of the negative posters.

Let's see: Bus fires: Yeah, they happen. Engines are not infallible and even timely maintenance cannot and will not prevent breakdowns. Sorry, tinkerbell is not a mechanic. They do not completely disassemble engines at every check...to expensive, so you can't see internal parts wearing.

Someone mentioned the fire extinguishers on buses and cars...they do not exist for cars and may only be required on public transportation to allow a little extra time for passengers to escape. Sorry, again us stupid engineers can't forsee or prevent everything.

So where to go with this post... hmm, would you like a ladder to get down off your high horse with... or maybe you would like the stupid poster to stop posting(yes, you called yourself stupid after listing your qualifications, which we all know means you think we are stupid).

Well, how about I repost my initial post that you knocked apart. I said, quite clearly that there were fire protections that would keep an engine fire separate from the passenger compartment. At NO POINT did i say fire extinguisher. What I was talking about... of course your only an engineer and I am sure you already knew this... its called a FIRE WALL. It exists in the form of materials and coatings around the engine compartment. On a slight aside, there are system on many vehicles that actually neutralizes the fuel in the case of an accident that might cause the gas/diesel to burn.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member

Expand the monorail? First; it's very expensive to build and to run. Second; it's fun, but not a very efficient way to move passengers. Buses can be moved around the property much easier. Large crowd? Send extra buses. Hard to send extra monorails when they pretty much are operating in safety zones that would fill most of the beam.

What would I do? I'd add some light rail in places where we are moving high volumes of people: Like from TTC to Downtown Disney? Also, I would look at a new section of monorail beam...maybe Epcot to Studio or DTD? You want to build a following on both ends.:xmas:

More posts like this are needed. Factual.

Uncle Lupe

can_you_feel_the_love_tonight_by_mary251-d48tpsh.png

Goofnut1980

They could make a TTC2.. that services HS and AK... It could be a new type of transportation... like a trolley or something... Sorry, I am just thinking out loud :shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom