Disney plans to slash movie slate, cut jobs-report

llrain

Original Poster
is anyone gonna be left in the studios? here they go again

NEW YORK, July 12 (Reuters) - Walt Disney Co.'s (DIS.N: Quote, Profile, Research) film studio plans to cut annual movie production by more than half and eliminate jobs to trim costs and improve shareholder returns, according to a report in show business newspaper Daily Variety.

The move comes despite a record weekend box office run of $132 million for Disney's "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest." Wall Street analysts this week had begun to review financial estimates for company earnings due to the blockbuster ticket sales.

In an unsourced report, Variety said on Tuesday that Disney will announce measures in the coming days to slash the number of films it makes to about eight per year from around 18.

Variety said all movies would be branded under the Disney logo, posing a threat to the stature of smaller film companies. The studio also plans to "substantially" cut its work force as part of an overhaul planned by Walt Disney Studios Chairman ________ Cook, the report said.

Cook could not immediately be reached for comment.

Cook has been working for several months on a plan to resurrect the studio division, whose year-over-year revenue comparisons have been down for the last four quarters. Variety said the new overhaul would involve deeper cuts than previously anticipated.

Sanders Morris Harris analyst David Miller said Disney could stand to cut expenses, despite the ticket sales seen from "Pirates" or the animated feature, "Cars."

"The internal rate of return (for the studio division) is not shareholder friendly," Miller said. "Obviously, even though 'Cars' or 'Pirates' were big successes, the internal rate of return was insufficient."

But whittling down its movie slate does not necessarily mean the company will change its overall spending on filmed entertainment, he said.

"It really comes down to how do you want to allocate your capital," Miller said. "Do you want to allocate that over 18 films, in which the films cost less, or 8 films that cost more? It could be that Disney sees a higher rate of return from tent pole films than from smaller films."

Walt Disney Co. shares were down 23 cents at $30.02 on the New York Stock Exchange in late morning trading. (Additional reporting by Gina Keating in Los Angeles)

DisneyRoxMySox

This actually reminds me of Eisner. He beleived if you made a small amount of movies, with a great story line. It's much better than making a lot of movies with good story lines. I don't mind seeing less movies. I suppose cutting jobs comes along with it. I mean with did gain some employees with the Pixar deal.

PeeplMoovr

DisneyRoxMySox said:
This actually reminds me of Eisner. He beleived if you made a small amount of movies, with a great story line. It's much better than making a lot of movies with good story lines. I don't mind seeing less movies. I suppose cutting jobs comes along with it. I mean with did gain some employees with the Pixar deal.

I generally agree that this could be a good thing. Perhaps we'll see less "Cinderella part 7's" and a higher quality of movie. This looks like it'll be a good decision so long as imagination, creativity and talent are at the forefront of the movies that are being released.

Scar Junior

I agree as well.

Within the Industry smaller films tend to bring down the status of a studio. By smaller films I don't necessarily mean less expensive, but it is one of the calling cards. Some of the best studios only make movies that are under $20 mil.

Disney will be able to use more money for promotion and (hopefully) pre-production. Better casting decisions and better directors. It has a chance to work out very well.

wedway71

I agree in quality over quantity.Id rather see 8 great smash movies than 18 mediocre movies.I am sad for the people who lost their jobs though.I know how much Id love to work for Disney and would be totally freaked out if I had to pack my desk at Disney Studios and have to work at another one.

mickey sparkle

Re: Eisner bashing

Thank you, Corrus and IIrain....:animwink: :sohappy:

I was also going to point out the convenient "forgetting" that some of the anti-Eisner faction sometimes does...:brick: Some other areas where this goes on is

1.) Brad Bird/John Lassetter/Pixar's statements that they would be more than willing to produce a 2d film for Pixar and then just completely forgetting about that.... But then, that's nothing like when Eisner shut down 2d, right?

2.) Roy and all those SaveDisney essays where they impaled Bob Iger as Eisner's lacky and "puppet", threatened a lawsuit, etc...then accepted him months later as though nothing had happened.

(BTW I'm not trying to insult anyone here, just making general statments. :animwink:)

Actually the 2D Pixar thing isn't out the window yet....they are still developing stories at Pixar and fleshing out the story that Brad Bird wanted to do. They haven't forgotten about it, it's just been overshadowed by the merger, they continue on the course that they set...

Besides, they've got all those old Disney Feature Animation Desks sitting around....they do plan on using them....it just takes some time to finalize stories and make sure that they are strong enough to draw a crowd. Most feature films require 4 years minimum to create, some films are in development a lot longer than that, just give em time. It's coming.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom