Phone call from Meg Crofton rep.!!

dreamscometrue

Original Poster
Okay, so maybe this happens to you all the time, but I just got a phone call from 'Guest Communications', on behalf of Meg Crofton's office, regarding a letter I recently wrote. The very nice lady said that Meg Crofton wanted her to call instead of an e-mail response and that Meg and other T.D.O. management read and very much appeciated my letter. I just sat down and wrote from the heart, and I think the end result was logical and passionate. :)

Maybe it isn't a 'big deal', but I was very excited to get that kind of response to my letter. Glad that someone not only reads guest e-mail, but will contact and discuss the contents as well. Very cool. That just made my day.

dreamscometrue

Original Poster
Hi Lee

I don't mind posting the letter I wrote, but I don't know if:

1. People on here would be interested in one person's lengthy opinion, and

2. If the mods would appreciate a 1400 word posting (although some trip reports on here are long :)).

KingdomofDreams

I'm kind of interested in what you said to elicit a response by phone from a MC rep too! Did they ask you any questions about your comments or did they just call to thank you for the letter?

Kirk88

Cool to know that a few companies still care. If you don't mind my asking, can you give us a condensed idea of what you said to them in the e-mail?

dreamscometrue

Original Poster
She said that they wanted to thank me for the letter, and not only did Meg read it, but it was sent to other "areas" of T.D.O. management. I was also told that they really appreciate constructive criticism, as well as positive comments, but take the 'criticism' seriously.

I guess something in the letter 'struck a nerve' for it to get forwarded all the way to Meg. Anyway, here is what I wrote. I'm just posting the whole letter since I can't really condense it.

Sorry if it's too long for a post. :)

Dear Wonderful Walt Disney World Resort Cast Member and Team Disney Orlando Management

This is NOT a letter of complaint. I rarely complain. I am a ‘glass half full person’ who seeks to always find the best in all people and situations. This letter is more a plea.

I, along with the rest of my family, am a Walt Disney World Resort fanatic. You know the type. I save to vacation once or twice per year, and it’s always to Walt Disney World. Between trips, I’m counting the days until the next one. I became a DVC member in 2007. The house is a shrine to all things Disney, and I try to convince everyone I know that Walt Disney World is the perfect vacation spot for everyone. I do that because I truly believe that. The weeks spent at the Walt Disney World Resort annually with my family, represent the happiest days of my life. I feel blessed for every moment I have on property. While there, I’m constantly reminded through incredible experiences that the extra work hours to pay for the vacation and the long trip from Canada are worth the effort.

There are 2 factors that set the Walt Disney World Resort apart from all other non Disney amusement enterprises on the planet.

1. The cast members. A highlight of all our vacations is the interaction with, and genuine compassion of, the cast members we encounter. They are not simply seen by us as employees, but are an integral component of the vacation experience and the show. We look forward to meeting and chatting with cast members as much as marvelling at ‘Wishes’ or riding ‘Big Thunder Mountain Railroad’.

2. The attention to detail. Long before ever setting foot in the Walt Disney World Resort, we had heard stories of legendary cleanliness, and attention to detail that did not approach, but attained, perfection. We have marvelled year after year at the unparalleled pristine state of the parks and resorts, and the peerless quality of the show.

So why the e-mail? Why am I sitting outside in the shade on a gorgeous 84 degree Canadian summer afternoon, working on composing this letter instead of tending the B.B.Q., sitting on the deck with my family or strolling the fairways of my favorite local golf course? The answer to that question is, because I have a concern. My family has a concern. The absolute perfect show that has always set Disney Parks apart from all others has been just a little less than perfect at times recently, and I want to try to impress upon you the effect that has on park guests. Or at least, this repeat park guest.

The Walt Disney World Resort is the rarest of business enterprises in that it has no real competition, except the Disney World of the past. The bar has been set so high traditionally, indeed practically perfect in every way that any perception that the parks are not held to their own standard, is seen as a decline. I don’t look at how Disney World in 2011 compares to any other themed resort, no matter how new or improved. I look at how it compares to Disney World 2010, 2009, 2008 and earlier. What a position to be in for Team Disney Orlando! Maintain the parks to the level set in 1971, or more accurately 1955, and there is no real competition.

I stated initially that the purpose of this letter is to serve as a plea. The plea is this. Those who are in the position at T.D.O. to provide resources for the show, please do so to the level necessary to maintain perfection. That’s a tall order indeed, but one that only Disney Parks can pull off as they historically always have.

So what does perfection look like to a repeat park guest? It’s seeing attractions with all of the effects working, all the time. It’s seeing audio animatronics working, paint touched up properly, spills cleaned quickly, and light bulbs replaced at the end of the day. The absence of that attention to detail leaves an impression. This impression is that Walt Disney World is still an incredible place, with an amazing staff and a nearly perfect show. Awesome! But what about that nearly perfect show? Well, that’s expected and accepted everywhere else, because after all, everywhere else is not Walt Disney World.

As long as I’m trying to convey the thoughts of a veteran park guest, I’d like to offer a few other brief musings.

• Today’s world of practically instant communication, image sharing, etc. places an even higher premium on the show than in years past. If something at a Disney Park is not functioning or appearing to Disney Park standards, it will show up in text, photos and video on the internet.

• The expectations for Disney Parks are greater than for any non Disney Parks, but that’s why people frequent them. I remember a stairwell light bulb that remained burned out during my entire 8 night resort stay in summer 2003. Why the heck do I remember that 8 years later, when I certainly would not had I stayed off property at a non Disney resort? Because that simply does not happen at Walt Disney World. The perception of perfection is the norm, and perception is indeed reality.

• I would rather all effects working on all attractions than any expansion or new attractions. I strongly believe that statement expresses the sentiment of many Disney Park guests. The parks offer so much, but the thrill and effectiveness of those offerings is somewhat diminished when they don’t function as they were designed to.

• I appreciate the marketing rationale and economics of the ‘Disney Parks’ campaign, but please do not homogenize the experience too much. Walt Disney World fans are loyal to their resorts, attractions and restaurants, and reducing the individuality of these with more generic refillable mugs, merchandise and menus lessens the experience. Guests proudly wear their resort clothing just as sports fans do to advertise their allegiance. We’ve spent a small fortune on merchandise during our Walt Disney World vacations, but one of my prized possessions is my All Star Movies refillable mug. It elicits wonderful memories of our first trip, and we can’t get unique ASM mugs anymore.

Thank you for all you do to make the Walt Disney World Resort our favourite vacation spot on the planet. The purpose of this letter is to ask that T.D.O. continue to strive for the perfect show, but please do not interpret that as our not absolutely loving and appreciating the ‘Most Magical Place on Earth.’ We will always vacation there and continue to be thrilled for every minute at the resort. Our hope is that the passion of the dedicated guests does not lead to complacency with respect to the product. Those of us, who appreciate Walt Disney World the most, hope that T.D.O. will always be motivated to strive for a perfect show by Disney World past, and Walt Disney and all the Imagineers and cast members who came before you.

“You see, it’s just like I told you; wishes can come true if you believe in them with all your heart.”
Jiminy Cricket in ‘Wishes Nighttime Spectacular’

So what is my wish? In 2055, Disney Parks will be 100 years old. My daughter, who was 16 when we became D.V.C. members, will be 64 years old and my wife and I will be very elderly, or gone. I wish for my daughter to be able to take her children and grandchildren to the Walt Disney World Resort, and experience the magic and emotion that we have experienced during all our trips. As they walk the same paths that we’ve enjoyed as a family so many times, so many years earlier, I wish that the cast members and perfect show all those years in the future will allow them to feel as I always do while there. That is a feeling that everyone should be able to experience.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this letter. All that you do is appreciated greatly.

fbp

She said that they wanted to thank me for the letter, and not only did Meg read it, but it was sent to other "areas" of T.D.O. management. I was also told that they really appreciate constructive criticism, as well as positive comments, but take the 'criticism' seriously.

I guess something in the letter 'struck a nerve' for it to get forwarded all the way to Meg. Anyway, here is what I wrote. I'm just posting the whole letter since I can't really condense it.

Sorry if it's too long for a post. :)

Dear Wonderful Walt Disney World Resort Cast Member and Team Disney Orlando Management

This is NOT a letter of complaint. I rarely complain. I am a ‘glass half full person’ who seeks to always find the best in all people and situations. This letter is more a plea.

I, along with the rest of my family, am a Walt Disney World Resort fanatic. You know the type. I save to vacation once or twice per year, and it’s always to Walt Disney World. Between trips, I’m counting the days until the next one. I became a DVC member in 2007. The house is a shrine to all things Disney, and I try to convince everyone I know that Walt Disney World is the perfect vacation spot for everyone. I do that because I truly believe that. The weeks spent at the Walt Disney World Resort annually with my family, represent the happiest days of my life. I feel blessed for every moment I have on property. While there, I’m constantly reminded through incredible experiences that the extra work hours to pay for the vacation and the long trip from Canada are worth the effort.

There are 2 factors that set the Walt Disney World Resort apart from all other non Disney amusement enterprises on the planet.

1. The cast members. A highlight of all our vacations is the interaction with, and genuine compassion of, the cast members we encounter. They are not simply seen by us as employees, but are an integral component of the vacation experience and the show. We look forward to meeting and chatting with cast members as much as marvelling at ‘Wishes’ or riding ‘Big Thunder Mountain Railroad’.

2. The attention to detail. Long before ever setting foot in the Walt Disney World Resort, we had heard stories of legendary cleanliness, and attention to detail that did not approach, but attained, perfection. We have marvelled year after year at the unparalleled pristine state of the parks and resorts, and the peerless quality of the show.

So why the e-mail? Why am I sitting outside in the shade on a gorgeous 84 degree Canadian summer afternoon, working on composing this letter instead of tending the B.B.Q., sitting on the deck with my family or strolling the fairways of my favorite local golf course? The answer to that question is, because I have a concern. My family has a concern. The absolute perfect show that has always set Disney Parks apart from all others has been just a little less than perfect at times recently, and I want to try to impress upon you the effect that has on park guests. Or at least, this repeat park guest.

The Walt Disney World Resort is the rarest of business enterprises in that it has no real competition, except the Disney World of the past. The bar has been set so high traditionally, indeed practically perfect in every way that any perception that the parks are not held to their own standard, is seen as a decline. I don’t look at how Disney World in 2011 compares to any other themed resort, no matter how new or improved. I look at how it compares to Disney World 2010, 2009, 2008 and earlier. What a position to be in for Team Disney Orlando! Maintain the parks to the level set in 1971, or more accurately 1955, and there is no real competition.

I stated initially that the purpose of this letter is to serve as a plea. The plea is this. Those who are in the position at T.D.O. to provide resources for the show, please do so to the level necessary to maintain perfection. That’s a tall order indeed, but one that only Disney Parks can pull off as they historically always have.

So what does perfection look like to a repeat park guest? It’s seeing attractions with all of the effects working, all the time. It’s seeing audio animatronics working, paint touched up properly, spills cleaned quickly, and light bulbs replaced at the end of the day. The absence of that attention to detail leaves an impression. This impression is that Walt Disney World is still an incredible place, with an amazing staff and a nearly perfect show. Awesome! But what about that nearly perfect show? Well, that’s expected and accepted everywhere else, because after all, everywhere else is not Walt Disney World.

As long as I’m trying to convey the thoughts of a veteran park guest, I’d like to offer a few other brief musings.

• Today’s world of practically instant communication, image sharing, etc. places an even higher premium on the show than in years past. If something at a Disney Park is not functioning or appearing to Disney Park standards, it will show up in text, photos and video on the internet.

• The expectations for Disney Parks are greater than for any non Disney Parks, but that’s why people frequent them. I remember a stairwell light bulb that remained burned out during my entire 8 night resort stay in summer 2003. Why the heck do I remember that 8 years later, when I certainly would not had I stayed off property at a non Disney resort? Because that simply does not happen at Walt Disney World. The perception of perfection is the norm, and perception is indeed reality.

• I would rather all effects working on all attractions than any expansion or new attractions. I strongly believe that statement expresses the sentiment of many Disney Park guests. The parks offer so much, but the thrill and effectiveness of those offerings is somewhat diminished when they don’t function as they were designed to.

• I appreciate the marketing rationale and economics of the ‘Disney Parks’ campaign, but please do not homogenize the experience too much. Walt Disney World fans are loyal to their resorts, attractions and restaurants, and reducing the individuality of these with more generic refillable mugs, merchandise and menus lessens the experience. Guests proudly wear their resort clothing just as sports fans do to advertise their allegiance. We’ve spent a small fortune on merchandise during our Walt Disney World vacations, but one of my prized possessions is my All Star Movies refillable mug. It elicits wonderful memories of our first trip, and we can’t get unique ASM mugs anymore.

Thank you for all you do to make the Walt Disney World Resort our favourite vacation spot on the planet. The purpose of this letter is to ask that T.D.O. continue to strive for the perfect show, but please do not interpret that as our not absolutely loving and appreciating the ‘Most Magical Place on Earth.’ We will always vacation there and continue to be thrilled for every minute at the resort. Our hope is that the passion of the dedicated guests does not lead to complacency with respect to the product. Those of us, who appreciate Walt Disney World the most, hope that T.D.O. will always be motivated to strive for a perfect show by Disney World past, and Walt Disney and all the Imagineers and cast members who came before you.

“You see, it’s just like I told you; wishes can come true if you believe in them with all your heart.”
Jiminy Cricket in ‘Wishes Nighttime Spectacular’

So what is my wish? In 2055, Disney Parks will be 100 years old. My daughter, who was 16 when we became D.V.C. members, will be 64 years old and my wife and I will be very elderly, or gone. I wish for my daughter to be able to take her children and grandchildren to the Walt Disney World Resort, and experience the magic and emotion that we have experienced during all our trips. As they walk the same paths that we’ve enjoyed as a family so many times, so many years earlier, I wish that the cast members and perfect show all those years in the future will allow them to feel as I always do while there. That is a feeling that everyone should be able to experience.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this letter. All that you do is appreciated greatly.

Wow. Well written. Great letter. How did the phone call go?

Kirk88

:sohappy:Wow. That had to be one of the most elegant and well written letters I've ever read. You hit the nail right on the head. Disney set the standard and we (the fans) expect it to be met if not exceeded. Great letter! Glad to know someone took it to heart.

Laura

The Walt Disney World Resort is the rarest of business enterprises in that it has no real competition, except the Disney World of the past.

Great quote.

I get sick of all the whining and complaining, but your letter hit the points that needed to be addressed without being obnoxious. Nice work and I hope they take it to heart.

828tnt

VERY well written, no wonder it caught some attention! i believe more of us should take the same approach in conveying our fandom!

after we return from our trip in september, i'll be trying to one up you.....;)

dreamscometrue

Original Poster
Thanks for the nice comments people. :)

I think it's incredible that, with the internet, we can share, discuss, complain, celebrate and debate all that is WDW, but it's important to let the powers that be know how we feel. I know where I work that I occasionally find out something is upsetting people, but nobody ever took the time to articulate that to those who can change it. I thought I'd write a letter to the people who can change things, instead of only having great discussion with all the wonderful people on these boards.

John

I as a WDW fan thank you. What dissapoints me that I havnt seen our resident complainers comment on your post. You conveyed your message in a way that many of us feel but only wish we could verbalize.

I also think that your thought on how we as a fandom feel that we think of Disney as we do four sports teams. Our loyalty to the brand was spot on. As I wrote this my fiance' came out to kiss me goodnight wearing her Mickey pajamas......

CaptainShortty

What a wonderfully written letter. Congratulations to you on writing such an eloquent, wonderful plea to TDO. I'm glad that your letter got as far as it did because it certainly deserved it. I only hope that now they answer back and start working on the touch-ups.

laynalee07

Once again heard... A very well written letter!
I was wondering how long it took them to reply to your letter? Just wondering how long it takes to travel up the management ladder. :)

That letter was absolutely amazing!:sohappy:

I think it sums up most admirably everything the true fans feel.

My only question is...do you hire out your letter-writing services?:D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom