Friends say too old for Disney?!?!?!

spoiledmarie

Original Poster
My husband and myself are both 33 years old and are totally addicted to Walt Disney World, and love everything Disney. Our Friends say that we are "Too Old" for Disney and that we "need to go somewhere else when we go on vacation". When we get back from one trip, we can't wait to book the next one and mind you, we have gone quite a bit over the past 2 years... but when we do book the trips and are so excited about it, we are afraid to tell anyone because we know what the reaction will be. They say that we should be going to an all inclusive resort type vacation, especially since we have no children. They all say that Disney is for kids and aren't we getting bored of it yet. I could never get bored of Disney, and love it there, and we always have such a great time, with or without others travelling with us.. yes Disney is a different experience with children and it is wonderful to see the magic in their eyes.. but as adults don't we deserve the same magic? If it is what we love to do and we don't want to go anywhere else, what is wrong with that?
I was just wondering if there were others out there like us around, people over 30 that are addicted to Disney World.. and beileve that Disney is for everyone, especially the kid in all of us!!:) And if you have ever had a situation like this and how you dealt with it?

kelleykevin

Pay no mind to these people. My wife and I are both 34, going on 35, have no kids and Disney is our only vacation destination. We leave August 16th for the Contemporary and are already planning two Disney trips for next year, one for WDW and one for Disneyland. Some people we know don't understand why we do this, but, I look at it as they are the ones who are lost, not us.

So, go to Disney, have a great time and just nod and smile when the non-believers try to question your ways. I have found that people that criticize Disney do it for one of two reasons, either, they have never been, or they think it is cool to make fun of something that is so popular because they want to pretend they are different.

I argue that Disney isn't as much for kids as it is for adults. The heat, the walking, the crowds, all my wife and I ever see is kids crying and their parents getting frustrated. As fun as it would be to bring a child down there and have those moments, I am sure a lot of parents would love to have some days in Disney without their kids, to do what they want to do on their own schedule. So enjoy the magic!!!!!!

Nemo14

Trust me, you're in good company here!

It seems that peolple either "get" Disney completely or they don't get it at all. If it works for you, that's all that matters. We loved it when our kids were young, we still enjoy it now that they're older, and we also love to go just the 2 of us 50+ adults. Each experience is different, but always enjoyable, always magical!

tigsmom

Please, I'm always being reminded that there are other places to go on vacation besides WDW. :lol:

Its your vacation and your money so do what you want! I told my friends when they pay for me to go someplace else I would gladly go, but so far nobody has taken me up on my proposal.

PS...the DH & I are almost 50 and the kids are 18 & almost 12, we get our WDW fix as long as the DH gets to go to the beach when we are down there. :D

cdunbar

Your an adult, you are allowed to do w/e and think w/e you want you have formed your own opinions about the world and if your friends wont give up their spa vacations to try to the world then forget about um though Im sure they might like it if they tried it!:brick:

I agree with Cpt. Hook. My wife and I are both 30 and a few months ago I posted a very similar question on here, with positive feedback. Enjoy yourself! September will make my 3rd trip this year. I have such a great time down there that I cant imagine going somewhere else. I will help form a SUPPORT GROUP for all of us!!

Computer Magic

That is why we are here, no one else understands. I don't even bother telling friends were we are going. They just roll their eyes anyways.

SO I come here and bore everyone, but at least I don't get the rolled eyes.....At least I can't see anyone here do it :lookaroun

Hoop Raeb

Formerly known as...
The wife and I are both in our early 30s, no kids and both totally addicted. It's even worse living near Orlando. Everyone's so angry down here about Disney. Like it's some big monster that must be destroyed. How it ruined the beauty of Florida and changed Orlando for the worse. News flash people: Orlando wouldn't exist without Disney! It would still be swamp. :lol: :hammer:

jellis

Like others here have said... you're not alone :)

I'm 33 and my wife is 32, we love going to Disney World so much that we just joined the DVC 3 weeks ago and have already planned another trip for November and 2 more next year. This past May was the first time that our Kids were old enough to go so we have had plenty of trips just on our own.

- Jim

Kadee

Our trips started with MY obsession with Disney. The obsession was caught by my daughter, and now my husband has really started to "get with the program" and be almost as obsessed as DD and I are. He even got in on the planning this time..... A FIRST! He, along with all of our friends said the same thing.....There are other places, you know. We've been other places and each time, I kept thinking, "We could be in WDW right now!" And just like Tigsmom said....... When THEY pay for your vacation, then THEY can have some input. Until then, tell them, politely, of course, to MIND THEIR OWN BUSINESS!

RickEff

Like Tigsmom said, I always remind them that I will go to any vacation they want if they're paying for the whole thing. If I'm paying - I get to choose.

jbbraud

Never To Old for Disney

I'm 55 years old and my wife is 50 and we never get tired of Disneyworld. We are planning our next trip during the Christmas holidays. Now that my son is a cast member I'm sure we will be going at least twice a year. I plan to retire in 4 years relocate to Florida and my dream is to drive a bus at the Disney resort. :lol:

josenk

My wife and I (37 years old) go almost every year... We have a blast and can't wait to go back. Our friends also tell us that we go to Disney too much. I don't care.

However, seriously you should consider going somewhere else once in a while...

Here is my list of other places to go other then Disney world.
-Disneyland.
-Disneyland Paris.
-Coco beach (then hop on the Disney cruise)
-Tokyo Disney.
-Disneyland Hong Kong

:lol:

bayoutinkbelle

Have you asked your friends if they're too old for Santa, too? :)

I'm 40 and just got back from a two-week trip to WDW. I so want to go back already. I'll be back in October for a week and I can't wait.

You're safe here, friends. :D

jozzmenia

spoiledmarie said:
My husband and myself are both 33 years old and are totally addicted to Walt Disney World, and love everything Disney. Our Friends say that we are "Too Old" for Disney and that we "need to go somewhere else when we go on vacation". When we get back from one trip, we can't wait to book the next one and mind you, we have gone quite a bit over the past 2 years... but when we do book the trips and are so excited about it, we are afraid to tell anyone because we know what the reaction will be. They say that we should be going to an all inclusive resort type vacation, especially since we have no children. They all say that Disney is for kids and aren't we getting bored of it yet. I could never get bored of Disney, and love it there, and we always have such a great time, with or without others travelling with us.. yes Disney is a different experience with children and it is wonderful to see the magic in their eyes.. but as adults don't we deserve the same magic? If it is what we love to do and we don't want to go anywhere else, what is wrong with that?
I was just wondering if there were others out there like us around, people over 30 that are addicted to Disney World.. and beileve that Disney is for everyone, especially the kid in all of us!!:) And if you have ever had a situation like this and how you dealt with it?

OK, I totally wonder how to deal too...I'm 26, and just LOVE everything Disney. I haven't been in a while because I was in school (undergrad then law school) and didn't have all that much money. I went to Orlando a couple of times, but was with people who didn't have enough for disney and ended up doing other things :cry:

I am wondering how to deal with it too. My boyfriend who is 29 sort of buys into the whole "if fairy tales and pixie dust aren't your thing" and he LOVED Universal and LOVED Orlando (having never been to either) when we went for Memorial Day, but he thinks Disney is just for kids so he's wary about spending all the money to go. And we were at a party this weekend and one of his co-workers told him Disney was a kiddie place :fork: so I was so annoyed. My friends say the same thing. They say we should be going to an all-inclusive place like Cancun or Jamaica, not Disneyworld. :dazzle: :brick: I just tell them I love it but they think it's strange for adults with no kids to go there...

blackerbys17

Ditto! Just turned 30 this weekend at the Magic Kingdom! DH isn't "The World's" biggest fan but he's getting with the program! We do have kids, 10 & 2, so we hadn't done Disney by ourselves in forever. So, this time we decided to get a babysitter for the night and leave the kids back at the All Stars Resort and what a blast we had! Wish I could go without the kids more often.

Trust me, I know the looks you get, I get the same ones, even WITH kids. They usually say, you are going AGAIN? To which I reply, "Yes, I can't wait! I already have 2 other trips planned. I guess I'm just a kid at heart. I'll tell you what, it sure beats laying on the beach for hours or going to see the world's biggest ball of twine, lol!" That usually shuts them up.

But, if it doesn't, who cares? It is your vacation and I most certainly don't care if others are impressed with my choice of vacation destinations. Let them lay in the hot sand and come back with 2nd degree sunburns. I've lived in Florida all my life and I don't like the beach AT ALL so beach-like destinations are a total waste on me.

The only other place I really enjoy is the Smokey Mountains in TN. So pretty up there! But, it is a VERY long drive for us or we'ld have to fly up which can get expensive real quick. For us, the choice is obvious, we live 4 hours away from WDW and we have annual passes, so why go anywhere else? Of course, I have gone other places like Paris, London, & Dublin. Trust me, all were great and a wonderful experience but you can't take trips like that all the time, they are very expensive! So we go to WDW most of the time and every now and then, we go somewhere else.

The point is, there is NOTHING wrong with you, you are COMEPLETELY NORMAL, and believe me, you are among your own kind here. So go and enjoy the place you love!!!

:wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom