D23 - No Big Theme Park Announcements?

Empress Room

Original Poster
Recently, several insider posters (read "Lee") hinted that this year's D23 convention may be the vehicle for some fairly significant announcement(s) for new attraction(s)/ride(s) at WDW. Al Lutz apparently disagrees with our insiders and has opined that not much of anything will be announced of significance for WDW at this year's convention, save the possibility of a small World of Color-like show at "struggling" Downtown Disney, some more detail about the Fantasyland expansion and an unconfirmed rumor about an attraction at the Studios.

Here is a link to Al's article: http://miceage.micechat.com/allutz/al071211a.htm (the reference is in the "Expo Once, Expo Twice..." portion of the article near the end).

In any event, have our insiders' views of these rumors changed at all? Do they agree with Al that there isn't likely to be anything significant announced or planned for WDW at this year's convention? Admittedly, the hinted-at rumors had me fairly excited.

Lee

Adventurer
In any event, have our insiders' views of these rumors changed at all? Do they agree with Al that there isn't likely to be anything significant announced or planned for WDW at this year's convention? Admittedly, the hinted-at rumors had me fairly excited.

As far as I know, they still haven't decided what to talk about at the Expo.

I was told some time back by a couple of people that a likely plan was to talk about several concepts that are at various stages of the design process. Sort of a "Look at the sort of stuff we're working on" type of thing. Not to say any/all of it would ever actually get built.

One of my sources liked the comparison to a second "Disney Decade", back when Eisner announced a ton of new stuff....that never happened. Not because they never intended to build it, but because as we all know, things change. Talking about rides that haven't been fully budgeted and greenlit is just asking for trouble.

However, as I said, I haven't heard for sure that they've even decided exactly what to say/show at the expo. Al may be right and all they do is show more Fantasyland and DCA art. If nothing else has been greenlit and budgeted, that's probably the smart (if boring) thing to do.

ChrisM

A day without Al taking a giant dump, justified or otherwise, on WDW would be like a day without a sunrise.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
As far as I know, they still haven't decided what to talk about at the Expo.

I was told some time back by a couple of people that a likely plan was to talk about several concepts that are at various stages of the design process. Sort of a "Look at the sort of stuff we're working on" type of thing. Not to say any/all of it would ever actually get built.

One of my sources liked the comparison to a second "Disney Decade", back when Eisner announced a ton of new stuff....that never happened. Not because they never intended to build it, but because as we all know, things change. Talking about rides that haven't been fully budgeted and greenlit is just asking for trouble.

However, as I said, I haven't heard for sure that they've even decided exactly what to say/show at the expo. Al may be right and all they do is show more Fantasyland and DCA art. If nothing else has been greenlit and budgeted, that's probably the smart (if boring) thing to do.
It will be interesting to see what the long term effects of the next D23 expo is. On one hand if they promise the moon and then don't deliver, the expo could turn into nothing more than lunch with a bus driver. On the other hand if they go the truthful route and offer up nothing but green lit projects, most of which are already being talked about on line, the value of the expo to consumers will plummet. I think they will take the safe way out and middle of the road and talk about a few confirmed projects with a dash of blue sky.

Krack

At least it'll give us something to lament for decades to come.

cbconglom

I'm hoping themeparkone will be tweeting very soon how crazy al is and confirm we are getting some great announcements.

Empress Room

Original Poster
When he's right...he's right. It's scary how much today's WDW is reminiscent of late '90s Disneyland.

Thanks, Lee, your insights are always appreciated and spot on.

Although I disagree (at least to the extent) on Al's opinion about the decline of the WDW property as it compared to 90s Disneyland (which was in very poor shape), is it your sense that management understands that WDW is aging and cannot afford to be static? In other words, given the recent reorganization of the Parks division, do you believe that there are the right folks in place and that those folks understand that portions of WDW need attention sooner rather than later?

devoy1701

Thanks, Lee, your insights are always appreciated and spot on.

Although I disagree (at least to the extent) on Al's opinion about the decline of the WDW property as it compared to 90s Disneyland (which was in very poor shape), is it your sense that management understands that WDW is aging and cannot afford to be static? In other words, given the recent reorganization of the Parks division, do you believe that there are the right folks in place and that those folks understand that portions of WDW need attention sooner rather than later?

Nothing significant has changed about the management structure of WDW since 2006 to give us hope of that. With Meg Crofton at the helm, I don't see any changes to the current path laid for WDW.

Lee

Adventurer
Nothing significant has changed about the management structure of WDW since 2006 to give us hope of that. With Meg Crofton at the helm, I don't see any changes to the current path laid for WDW.

Yeah. It's the same people in charge. I don't get a sense of any impending change in operation methods.

Scuttle

I just hope that Iger being at WDW a few weeks ago means something huge. But even if he signed off on something a few weeks ago would it even be mentioned at the D23?

Spike-in-Berlin

Does anyone know what projects exactly where part of the planned Disney Decade? And wasn't most of it cancelled because DLP /Eurodisney failed to be a success in the first years?

Jakester

It would be nice if they announced either expansions at Epcot/DHS/AK, or Improvements or a new ride, But if anything new gets announced (Expansion/Attraction wise), dont be about Frontierland.

jjharvpro

Because of the success of the first Expo, I think that Disney would make this one even bigger and better. I'm thinking that there will of course be more details on New Fantasyland, but also something at DHS and/or AK. Epcot could use an expansion of some sort, but it's not in as desperate need as the others.

It really does bug me how Al Lutz is always bashing WDW.....

kennygman

Because of the success of the first Expo, I think that Disney would make this one even bigger and better. I'm thinking that there will of course be more details on New Fantasyland, but also something at DHS and/or AK. Epcot could use an expansion of some sort, but it's not in as desperate need as the others.

It really does bug me how Al Weiss is always bashing WDW.....

Lutz, not Weiss. Weiss is the guy who retired. :hammer:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom