Hot Times in the World: A June 2011 Trip Report!

We’ve been home for a week, I’m back at work, and reality is truly setting in. Time to escape it with a trip report!

The cast includes myself (Shannon, 27) and my husband Will (26) spending 8 days in WDW for our second anniversary!

Since this was an anniversary trip and all, here we are a little over 2 years ago on our wedding day…

smwm_i-237.jpg

…and 2 days later on our honeymoon!

DSC00403.JPG

We’ve been together since February 2005, and we met in math class during my junior and his sophomore year in college. NERDS.

This was our fourth trip to WDW together after the aforementioned honeymoon in May 2009 (Boardwalk Inn), a quick Thanksgiving trip with the in-laws in November 2009 (Boardwalk Inn – no trip report! For shame.), and another quick trip in February for the 2011 Princess Half Marathon (Port Orleans – Riverside).

For this trip we decided to rent DVC points for the first time as a way to save some cash. Will suggested we do a split stay (great idea since I couldn’t decide on one resort anyway) and we put our requests in with excellent results. For the first 3 nights we scored a savanna-view studio villa at Kidani. For the remainder of our trip we’d be traveling back to the Atlantic coast, staying in a “preferred/boardwalk-view” studio at the Boardwalk Villas. Woot!

Pretty early on in the planning process we ultimately decided that we also wanted to fit in a one-day trip to Universal, primarily to spend a morning frolicking in HP-land. Of the two of us, I am the giant Harry Potter fan (admittedly, more a fan of the books than the movies), and being the fabulous husband that he is, Will tags along with me to the movies and enjoys them, though I don’t think he fully grasps the awesomeness of HP since he refuses to read the books. :cry:

Other than that, we made our ADRs, put down some cash for a tour, changed said ADRs a million times, and had some major face palm moments along the way :eek:

Above all else, I was most excited to get to spend some quality time with Will. It seems like we were both (separately) super busy for the entirety of spring, and I was more than ready to put real life aside and have another adventure together in WDW!

Onward!

HollyBelle

IMG_3775.JPG

‘Ohana was excellent…I’m ashamed it took us so long to get here, and we can’t wait to go back again (hopefully in January!)

LOVE that picture of you two... frame-worthy, for sure! :sohappy:

I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed Ohana! Of course, it's at the top of our favorites list!

Ariel484

Original Poster
I was loving your report and then I got to the Boardwalk Villas pics and I was loving it even more. We're staying at the BWV in October, so it was a good preview for me!!

Glad you like it! And you will LOVE BWV...the location is, in our opinion, one of the best at WDW, and the resort itself is beautiful.

LOVE that picture of you two... frame-worthy, for sure! :sohappy:

I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed Ohana! Of course, it's at the top of our favorites list!

Thanks!! I never know what to do when I give the camera to someone else - mostly I just put it on full auto - so I'm glad some of these pictures came out okay.

Yep, I know 'Ohana is a fave of yours and Brett's! In fact, I think I pulled up one of your old TRs because I knew you had a bunch of pics of all of the courses to show to Will before our trip. Hopefully we can get there again in January!

Ariel484

Original Poster
After dinner, we wandered around a bit in Boutiki. Will made a new friend!

IMG_3780.JPG

So mature!

IMG_3781.JPG

Wheeeee!

IMG_3783.JPG

These glasses were pretty cool!

IMG_3785.JPG

Not to whine, but there was TONS of Poly-specific merchandise. Why can’t it be like that at the Boardwalk?? :mad:

IMG_3787.JPG

After digesting a bit, we made our way out to the front of the hotel.

IMG_3786.JPG

Love the tiki torches!

IMG_3790.JPG

IMG_3791.JPG

Our destination that evening was the Studios…the plan for tonight was to see Fantasmic!

IMG_3792.JPG

Ariel484

Original Poster
I believe we arrived at the Studios just as the first Fantasmic! show was about to begin. We were hoping that by skipping the first one we could more easily get into the second at 10:30. This had worked decently well for us in November.

IMG_3793.JPG

IMG_3794.jpg

I just love the parks at night. All the lit-up signs are so pretty.

IMG_3797.JPG

Once again, we headed to…

IMG_3798.jpg

Drawing class!

I think we were in the last class of the day, and this one was much larger than the Pluto class. Every seat was filled, and there were people on the floor in front with boards on their laps to draw on. There were a lot of children in this class, and our animator started with a speech about how “everyone here is special” and though all of our drawings may look different, “each drawing is special in its own way.” She was completely serious and talked for about 2 minutes. It was kind of sweet!

Our task that day was to draw Minnie, and the group we were with was really fun. Apparently the guy behind me was having a rough time, because at one point he exclaimed, quite exasperated, “She’s a monster!” It was SOOO funny. And we saw his drawing afterward…it wasn’t bad at all! Later on the animator came to look at another drawing dubbed “Balloon Minnie”…which was then put on a projector for all to see. Minnie had a giant, giant head and teeny tiny ears…but was still special in her own way, of course! Very funny…I think even the animator laughed at that one.

I didn’t get a picture of Will’s Minnie, but here’s mine…remember how I said the pencils don’t have erasers? Part-way through I realized I didn’t like my original circles (why is drawing a good circle so darn hard??), but I was stuck with them…thus my Minnie has 3 chins. I’ll have to fix that at some point.

IMG_3799.JPG

Ariel484

Original Poster
After class, we headed out intending to get into the Fantasmic line. We’d heard the BOOMS from the early show during drawing class, so we figured by the time we were done that the 9PM Fantastmic had ended and we could hop in line for the 10:30 show.

IMG_3801.jpg

IMG_3804.JPG

IMG_3807.JPG

The plan was scrapped quickly. Hollywood Boulevard was PACKED with people…I’d assumed they were people leaving the first show, but they were actually people already lining up for the second. It was completely insane how many people were there. Fantasmic is my favorite night show at Disney, so I was sad to skip it, but really…this was just madness.

So rather than seeing our favorite show, we took our first (and only :() ride of the trip on our favorite ride!!

IMG_3810.JPG

IMG_3811.JPG

The lobby didn’t seem as dark this time:

IMG_3813.jpg

IMG_3816.JPG

The library portion of the queue didn’t seem as dark to me either…no worries. The ride itself was awesome, as usual. We had one of those rides where you see the silhouettes right at the end and think you’re done, only to be shot up once again! We love this ride so much, and I’m kicking myself that we only got on it once this trip.

Since I was so bummed about not getting a Boardwalk mug, I figured a Tower of Terror mug was a good runner-up. This thing is so cute!

IMG_4563.JPG

I should also mention at this point that I made it a habit to ask every store if they had any kind of discount, and I got 10% off with my annual pass at each store (including purchasing the mug above, which made me remember to mention it). I am sure it would have been 20% off if I spent a certain amount, but I wasn’t clever enough to plan ahead like that and combine my purchases at the same store. Oops!

At this point the park was closed, so we began to make our way out.

IMG_3822.jpg

Ariel484

Original Poster
One of our favorite things about staying at the Boardwalk is the ability to walk to both Epcot and Hollywood Studios. That evening as we walked back to the Boardwalk (about 10-15 minutes…definitely faster than the boat) it was kind of a downer to hear Fantasmic going on knowing that we wouldn’t be able to see it that week. Tear.

We were back in our room around 10:40 or so, and right away I was back out on the balcony for more pictures!

Love this place at night…I especially love the strings of lights.

IMG_3826.JPG

IMG_3828.JPG

I spy (just barely) Spaceship Earth!

IMG_3829.JPG

You’re killing me, sign.

IMG_3830.JPG

Arrrg…

IMG_3831.JPG

IMG_3832.JPG

We were concerned about how well we’d sleep in this room…we could hear EVERYTHING going on through our balcony door. Eventually we realized that it just wasn’t closing all the way, so we rigged up a contraption involving our suitcases and a belt to pull the door completely shut. This helped with the noise a lot, and that, combined with the normal exhaustion of running around in the heat for hours, led to a night of good sleep for both of us.

TakeMeThere81

Since I was so bummed about not getting a Boardwalk mug, I figured a Tower of Terror mug was a good runner-up. This thing is so cute!

IMG_4563.JPG
Awesome mug! I remember seeing that pattern on t-shirts. I love all of the great mugs you are collecting! Totally up my alley!

Absolutely beautiful Boardwalk night shots! I love how the strings of lights "twinkle" in your pictures. So pretty.

PartOfYourWorld

I was okay with the 5th movie...the 6th one I HATED. I felt like everyone was making out the whole time and they left out some important details. It makes me wonder how well people who haven't read the books are really able to follow what is going on.

Thanks!! It's definitely our favorite place at Disney.

I can definitely see your point about the 6th movie, and I have wondered the same thing about people who haven't read the books. I just finished reading all 7 books before I see the last one in IMAX at midnight :) and it will all be fresh in my mind so there will probably be alot of complaining if they don't do a good job :D

diddy_mouse

I've always wanted to stay at the Boardwalk, mainly because of it's proximity to Epcot. [adds to list of resorts I want to stay at: Beach Club, Poly, aaaaaannd Boardwalk!]

I just booked our trip for December (yay!) and it will be our first time at 'Ohana. After seeing all of the delicious pictures of food on the interwebz I couldn't pass it up any longer!

The picture of your ToT mug reminds me of my pursuit for the shirts that matched that image. I ended up finding one for Splash Mountain and my husband got one for the Haunted Mansion. I didn't know that they had mugs with the same design. :) It's a bummer that was the only time you were able to ride one of your favorites...

Your nighttime shots of the Boardwalk (with and without signs ;) ) look so serene. I LOVE the one of the Yacht Club. That whole area at night is just so lovely!

Ariel484

Original Poster
You’re killing me, sign.

IMG_3830.JPG

I love this sign makes me laugh everytime its in one of your pictures :ROFLOL:

I'm so glad you're getting so much joy from my pain!! :cry::cry: (Haha, just kidding ;))

Awesome mug! I remember seeing that pattern on t-shirts. I love all of the great mugs you are collecting! Totally up my alley!

I was so pumped when I found that mug! I just HAD to get it.

Absolutely beautiful Boardwalk night shots! I love how the strings of lights "twinkle" in your pictures. So pretty.

Thank you! The first time I ever took a photo where the lights "twinkle" (in my backyard) I got super excited. I love those lights at the Boardwalk.

Shannon, if you are training for the WDW Marathon(Half or full) you should get this shirt!

http://www.disneystore.com/disney-p...for-women/mp/1260593/1000809+1000204+1000765/

Thanks for the link! I just might have to grab one of those, especially since I'm starting to get nervous that they will not come out with 2012 shirts :( $12 is a steal though!

I can definitely see your point about the 6th movie, and I have wondered the same thing about people who haven't read the books. I just finished reading all 7 books before I see the last one in IMAX at midnight :) and it will all be fresh in my mind so there will probably be alot of complaining if they don't do a good job :D

I found myself explaining quite a bit of the plot to Will after the movie was over. I saw it with him and 2 friends (who also don't read they books) and the friends enjoyed it much more than I did. Oh well.

And wasn't the 7th book amazing?? Well, I thought it was...I couldn't put it down the first time I read it.

Have fun seeing the movie on IMAX, I'm sure it will be awesome!

Ariel484

Original Poster
Awesome trip report! Love the pictures!

Thank you! :)

I've always wanted to stay at the Boardwalk, mainly because of it's proximity to Epcot. [adds to list of resorts I want to stay at: Beach Club, Poly, aaaaaannd Boardwalk!]

Sounds like you and I have similar taste in resorts...we're booked at the Beach Club in January and would LOVE to get to the Poly some day.

I just booked our trip for December (yay!) and it will be our first time at 'Ohana. After seeing all of the delicious pictures of food on the interwebz I couldn't pass it up any longer!

Awesome! I love seeing the park around the holidays...everything is just so beautiful. You'll love 'Ohana...the food is good, there's a ton of it, and the atmosphere is really fun.

The picture of your ToT mug reminds me of my pursuit for the shirts that matched that image. I ended up finding one for Splash Mountain and my husband got one for the Haunted Mansion. I didn't know that they had mugs with the same design. :) It's a bummer that was the only time you were able to ride one of your favorites...

Ooh, I didn't see those for other rides! Something to look for next time...I'm intrigued by both of the ones you mentioned.

Riding the Tower of Terror only once was poor planning on our parts. On our honeymoon we rode it, like, 5 times, which was great. Something to work on for next time!

Your nighttime shots of the Boardwalk (with and without signs ;) ) look so serene. I LOVE the one of the Yacht Club. That whole area at night is just so lovely!

Thanks! Despite the sign, I managed :D "Serene" is the perfect word to describe that area, for sure.

Ariel484

Original Poster
Day 5: Friday, June 17.

Let’s start the day with the sun rising over the boardwalk…

IMG_3834.JPG

…and a Hidden Mickey in the carpet!

IMG_3842.JPG

You’ll notice it was now the 5th day of our trip and we had yet to set foot in either kingdom…time to change that!

After grabbing a banana and muffin from the Boardwalk Bakery, we headed out to the bus stop.

So let’s talk about the bus situation at the Boardwalk. I said earlier that one of the things we love most about staying there is that we can walk to 2 parks. The kingdoms, of course, need to be reached by bus, and the Boardwalk bus to Animal Kingdom stops at Swan and Dolphin (like the Magic Kingdom bus) as well as at Yacht and Beach Club. Now that I think about it, that bus stops at Blizzard Beach too, right? I’d forgotten this after 2 years and was surprised to climb onto an almost-full bus that morning. It wasn’t a huge deal, just something that I found surprising. If I remember correctly, the Boardwalk is the last stop on the loop, so luckily we took right off for Animal Kingdom and got there pretty quickly.

We arrived pretty early…so early that we had front-row seats for the opening show!

IMG_3851.JPG

Yep, got my sunscreen, park map and camera!

IMG_3858.JPG

Let the adventure begin!

IMG_3868.JPG

Our first stop was Everest, of course. We were on and off pretty quickly, by 9:00 actually – they’d let us in the park early for whatever reason!

We were already looking for a break from the heat, so we decided a show was just the ticket. Off to Camp Minnie Mickey!

IMG_3869.jpg

The show was fabulous, as always. This was our first time seeing it since our honeymoon.

IMG_3895.JPG

IMG_3906.JPG

IMG_3914.JPG

Just like in 2009, we were in the warthog section.

IMG_3918.JPG

Ariel484

Original Poster
More Festival of the Lion King pictures…

IMG_3919.JPG

Crazy eyes!

IMG_3922.JPG

Apparently I have a slight obsession with the tumbler monkeys, because I have loads of photos of them…just a few here:

IMG_3934.JPG

IMG_3942.JPG

IMG_3950.JPG

IMG_3960.JPG

IMG_3980.JPG

Ariel484

Original Poster
Last set of FOTLK photos!

IMG_3988.JPG

IMG_3990.jpg

IMG_3995.JPG

IMG_4009.JPG

This was pretty funny…the tumbler monkey went up to this girl, stared at her for about 30 seconds, and then “picked bugs” off of her to eat!

IMG_4020.JPG

IMG_4027.JPG

Ariel484

Original Poster
After the show, we could put it off no longer…it was time to meet the big cheese. We headed back to the character greeting trails, and the place was crawling with furry friends: Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, and Donald as usual. Thumper and Miss Bunny, Chip and Dale, and Pluto were out, too!

I spy a puppy:

IMG_4028.JPG

There he is!

IMG_4029.JPG

And then, we met the Mouse, who was thrilled that it was our anniversary! Of course the photopass CM took photos of that conversation, but the CM with my camera did not :(

IMG_4031.jpg

After our Mickey meet, we decided to go on a 2-week long safari.

IMG_4034.JPG

IMG_4035.JPG

The wait time was about 20 minutes…exactly the same time as the current fastpass return time. Instead of getting in the stand-by line, we grabbed fastpasses and spent those 20 minutes in “my favorite store,” which happened to be right by the safaris! What are the chances?? :D

After our lovely AC break, we cashed the fastpasses in and were off!

IMG_4038.JPG

And now, allow me to post the same safari pictures you’ve seen a million times already!

The Bongo (I think?), the ghost of the safari:

IMG_4047.JPG

Gators:

IMG_4060.JPG

Ariel484

Original Poster
More safari…

Giraffes:

IMG_4066.JPG

Cattle right by our safari vehicle:

IMG_4074.JPG

The other guys:

IMG_4078.JPG

Baby elephant!! (We saw another elephant throwing dirt and water on itself to keep cool…everyone was feeling the heat!)

IMG_4084.JPG

Pretty flamingos:

IMG_4100.JPG

Sleepy kitties:

IMG_4101.JPG

Not-so-sleepy kitty:

IMG_4117.JPG

We were seated in such a way that I was the first one on our bench (so I was all the way to the left), and I definitely got the best photo opportunities that way…I felt bad for the guy sitting on the other side of our bench. I think he got a good shot of the ostriches and not much else.

After the safari it was time for lunch, so we made the trek to Flame Tree BBQ…this was the only counter service meal where we used our Tables in Wonderland card.

Pulled pork sandwiches with fries and giant ice waters for all! Yummy, yummy.

IMG_4118.JPG

The ducks were quite bold today - I thought one was about to jump into Will’s lap. However, thou shalt not feed thy ducks, says Disney:

IMG_4120.JPG

Somehow I don’t think the little guy in the background is concerned about how our yummies will affect his tummy. :lol:

Ariel484

Original Poster
We got back to the hotel (if I remember correctly, we got off the bus at the Swan and walked to the Boardwalk from there – tip for anyone that stays at an Epcot resort, if you don’t mind walking, just get off at the first bus stop and walk the rest of the way!), took showers and another lovely nap. Just like the previous day, we hopped on an MK bus and took the monorail to the Polynesian for our first-ever dinner at Kona Café.

IMG_4128.JPG

It was a bit before 5, and we opened the place up.

IMG_4129.JPG

IMG_4130.JPG

It was sort of weird sitting in Kona and seeing the opening ceremony going on at ‘Ohana. It made Kona seem like the uncool little brother at the Polynesian, in a way.

Anyhoo, we had a really tasty lunch at Kona in February, so it was at the top of our list for dinner on this trip. I started off with a Backscratcher (I was debating between that and the Lapu Lapu, but the 151 scared me off):

IMG_4134.jpg

It was okay. I probably won’t get another one.

We enjoyed our bread with the macadamia nut butter…pretty tasty.

IMG_4136.JPG

For dinner, Will ordered the Pan Asian Noodles. I think he was hoping the noodles would be like the ones we’d had the previous night at ‘Ohana. Sadly, they were not. The dish was okay, but didn’t have a ton of flavor.

IMG_4137.JPG

I ordered the Teriyaki-Style New York Strip with mashed potatoes and stir-fried broccolini.

IMG_4138.JPG

I don’t know if I shot myself in the foot yet again getting a sirloin after having had a fillet earlier in the trip, but this wasn’t that great. The potatoes were nothing special – I don’t even think I went beyond the first bite – but I did like the broccolini.

We were both pretty disappointed in this meal, but admittedly I think we were expecting a lot after enjoying lunch there so much in February. I think we’ll keep it on the list for lunch, but probably not for dinner any more. Nothing was bad or terrible, it was just okay. We’d had 4 fabulous dinners in a row, and this one just wasn’t as good.

However, dessert was great!

IMG_4139.JPG

Kilauea Torte (a la mode, of course)…YUM YUM YUM. This is one of my favorite desserts at Disney. Super delicious!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom