In need of a Baby Sitter

fl_actuary

Original Poster
Wife and I are headed to the wine and dine run on October 1st. We want to take the kids to the park on Saturday before the race and then again on Sunday. Sadly we can't take them to the run (5 & 7) so we are looking for a sitter to spend the night with them in a local (non-disney) hotel.

We are probably getting a suite at liki tiki, so the sitter can spend the night if desired.

Any suggestions?

foreverbelle

My husband and I have used Kids Nite Out whenever we go out on a date night or want to catch some adult themed rides...I have never had an issue with them, we feel completely safe leaving our 2 year old son with them for the evening. We usually have them come to our on property hotel but I know they service the entire area, so that wouldn't be a problem. And you can request a teen, a grandmother, male/female...etc. Its been a great thing.

They are a little pricey, but I find them comparable to the prices that the local kids charge in our area.

AS few things to keep in mind if you do use them.
-They aren't allowed to do anything that revolves water. So no baths, or pool time so I am not sure how that/if that would work for you.
-You also have to pay for their meal if they are babysitting longer than 8 hours.
-And if they were to go to the parks, they can not transport the kids in their own vehicles.

For additional info or to contact them:
http://www.kidsniteout.com

fl_actuary

Original Poster
Thanks for the response. Any additional advice would be appreciated as well. We have never done this before, so the more information we can get the better.

fl_actuary

Original Poster
You dont have someone you can bring from home, cousin, sister,etc?

We are actually working on that angle. While we don't have anyone to go with us, friends of ours are running the same race and bringing grandma. Grandma has watched our kids in the past, but our friends are not 100% reliable planners.

I've used Kids Nite Out many times and have been really happy with them. I wrote about it here if you'd like to see more: http://www.everythingwdisneyworld.com/2010/01/kids-nite-out-in-room-babysitting.html

I am truly neurotic about who I leave my kids with, but I've been really comfortable with them. The first time we used them, one of the sitters (we had two, since we had 2 kids who weren't walking yet) was a law student and the other was her best friend. If you have a fridge, make sure they know where the snacks are, etc., especially if you're going to be a while. They are all familiar with the resorts and many know the staff. It's pretty impressive how tied into the resort KNO is.

EvilQueen-T

i'm not saying anything bad about the day care services listed above, i just always think there are good and not so good employees at every company so if it were possible i'd spring for a family member or trusted friend to come with me. i'm super over protective tho. if it's someone who doesn't like to do the parks maybe just make sure you have a resort they're comfortable with passing the time at and make sure to take them to at least one nice meal. i look at it like this... is knowing your children are 100% safe would you pay the cost of a plane ticket and a few meals?

i'm not saying anything bad about the day care services listed above, i just always think there are good and not so good employees at every company so if it were possible i'd spring for a family member or trusted friend to come with me. i'm super over protective tho. if it's someone who doesn't like to do the parks maybe just make sure you have a resort they're comfortable with passing the time at and make sure to take them to at least one nice meal. i look at it like this... is knowing your children are 100% safe would you pay the cost of a plane ticket and a few meals?

I agree with this, but many people don't have those kinds of options. We absolutely do not: no grandmothers, no neices, no aunties. I can't even think of anyone we could get to help out while in WDW--it's hard enough to get help in our home town. So in our case, using a service is a necessity. I was pretty nervous but we've used them a lot and have never come back to anything but sleeping kids and a quiet sitter in the other room (we do DVC) reading a book.

I do get what your saying, but I would guess that for the vast majority of parents, it's either this or the kids clubs.

One thing I will say, I make sure the sitter is happy: We feed them and leave snacks regardless and we always tip well! And I make sure I call several times.

Sari8970

My kids have never been put to sleep by anyone other than my myself or my husband. We'd love to go to a late night and go on some things we don't get to do with the kids (yes, I know they have rider swap, but my kids would flip and they are so young that I think it would be unfair to ask them to wait in line and not even be able to go on a ride) and eat a nice meal. I have no idea how to do this since it's never even happened at home. I wish we could bring someone with us, but we wouldn't even have a place for them to stay. We are staying in a standard room this time and like I said, no one has ever put them to sleep at home so it really wouldn't change the situation for us, other than that we'd already know the person.

EvilQueen-T

believe me i know how hard it can be when there's no one around and i feel for you guys. we moved a lot when my kids were young and we were in the same boat...it's probably what's made me a little more than over protective.

maybe if someone who has used these services before has the name of the company and sitter that was good they could pm the original person asking the question with the info. that might help them knowing its someone whose done a good job in the past. just a thought :shrug:.

I think our situation is a little extreme (both grandmas passed, family all on the West Coast, crazy cat ladies for aunts who have never held a baby!) but it can be hard even for people who have family nearby.

I'm going to confess that the first time we used Kids Nite Out, we hired 2 sitters. That's partly because we have an older child and twins, but also because I was kind of freaked out. It wasn't that much more. :)

I can honestly say I didn't even know a service like this existed! :eek:

We have always wanted to do something together as a couple without the kids....even if just for an hr or so! I would love to go have a lovely dinner with my wife without having to hear the kids arguing about who ate the last dinner roll, not wanting to eat the mac n' cheese because it's not cheesy enough, etc.

This may be something I might try convincing my wife to do one day next year when we are down.....we would only need the service for an hr or 2!

I can honestly say I didn't even know a service like this existed! :eek:

We have always wanted to do something together as a couple without the kids....even if just for an hr or so! I would love to go have a lovely dinner with my wife without having to hear the kids arguing about who ate the last dinner roll, not wanting to eat the mac n' cheese because it's not cheesy enough, etc.

This may be something I might try convincing my wife to do one day next year when we are down.....we would only need the service for an hr or 2!

Depending on your kids' ages, I love using the Kids Clubs. There's a 2 hour minimum which is prefect for a quick dinner. Plus, they feed the kids there so it's very convenient. My oldest always asks to go back.

beckyj3266

Personally I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving my children in a place we aren't familiar with, in a town that's miles from home, with a complete stranger, just so I can go out to dinner. If you are bringing your children with you on a family vacation, then you spend the time together as a family. You'll have much better memories. If something were to happen to them, I would never forgive myself. If you can't bring along someone you know & trust, I would suggest skipping the dinner and enjoying your time with your children.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom