Our honeymoon at the AKL

Hi all,

Just a few things to report from our honeymoon at WDW (5-19th May 2006)

We were staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, and had only booked a standard room but were delighted to find out that we had been upgraded to a savannah room view! We were sure to mention when booking that it was to be our honeymoon and it was written on the invoice. The CM at the front desk must have noticed this information as she asked us if it was our honeymoon. She didn't actually say that we had an upgrade, she just gave us our keys and marked of on our map the location of our room.

We was in room 4528, which overlooked one of the quieter savannah's. It was in a corner, so the balcony next to ours was only a few feet away and facing ours at a 90 degree angle. We thought would be rather annoying if we were out on our balcony at the same time as the guests in the other room, for privacy reasons - but it was not a problem as either the room was empty throughout our stay or the guests chose not to go out onto the balcony??

It was great to be able to watch the many animals but we found it to be bug central in the late evenings, so avoided leaving the door open at those times!

Pool area was nice, although we did not spend a minute at or in the pool!

It was rather a trek over to the bus stops, but soon got used to it. We thought that the bus area at the All Stars was better though, as there was a proper queue line there. There was no barriers at all at the AKL, which was annoying - We could be sat waiting for a bus for upto 20 minutes, only for a group of people to arrive at the last minute and jump the queue and get on before us! We did not like this "everyone for themselves" attitude, surely a proper queue line should be designed??

We made sure to wear the "just married" pins that were provided at the parks (did not bother with the bride and groom ears as the groom ears were far too small to fit on my head! :brick: ). The CM's went out of there way to say "Congratulations" throughout our stay, which was nice :) .

We attended a breakfast buffet at Boma, which was awesome! There was a card signed by all the servers when we arrived at our table congratulating us on our wedding. The frunch was awesome too! Towards the end of our buffet, our server brought over a really nice desert board that had been made specially for us! It had congratulations written in chocolate, with lots of flower patterns too and to top it off, the board had Zebra Domes, chocolate covered strawberries amongst other things - superb!

Onto the parks..

Magic Kingdom.

Saw Stitch's Great Escape for the first (and last) time - a real letdown. Bring back Alien Encounter! There is now a plot flaw with this show - During the video clip where Stitch is let loose around the Magic Kingdom, he climbs up onto the castle. It is the original castle, not the Gold HCOE castle :hammer:

Splash Mountain was great - they seem to have repaired the water sprays that jump over the boat, although one was miss-firing and sprayed water all over us without fail every time we rode :mad: . The jet of water that sprayed the crowd on the bridge was also missing.

Space Mountain was down for most of the day during one of our visits, no idea why - made sure to ride the TTA several times to check out SM with the lights on.

Small World - We were both really impressed with the rehab performed on this ride, everything was bright and looking like new!

Had our first Pineapple Float at Aloha Isle, which was superb! Will be getting one every time we visit the Magic Kingdom from now on :slurp: .

Noticed that the "Soups and Sandwhich" section of Cosmic Ray's was closed throughout our stay (no idea why).

Managed to ride the Jungle cruise twice during Extra Magic Hours including a ride with only 4 guests on the boat. We have never experienced the Jungle Cruise at night and really enjoyed the different atmosphere - it is a totally different ride.

There was a funny CM at the Haunted Mansion during the Extra Magic Hours - He had a stick and kept bashing it on the wall, during the preshow and shouting "It's only ice" ?? Had no idea what he was talking about though..

Epcot.

Club Cool - What a total waste of space, much better as Ice Station Cool. Not a good advert for Coca Cola either. Only a few flavours on offer, Beverley, Krest Ginger Ale and Kinley Lemon (Mezzo Mix was there also, although only for a few days). On several occasions, the drinks were warm or flat and also tasted like the flavours had been mixed together. The Kinley tasted like it had been mixed with the Beverley :hurl: . Not good..

Soarin' was great. We rode it many times - We were sat front and center for our first two rides which gave the best view by far, although we sat at the bottom at the sides a few times. This was not as good, although it was ok if you looked ahead at all times and avoided looking to the sides or down.

Spaceship Earth was much brighter and louder than I remember too, a few times the sound was so loud that the voice over was impossible to hear. The printing press steam effect was working also, although not every time.

Imagination - A walk on every time. This needs (another) rehab. This must be the most boring job for an Epcot CM.

Never got chance to see Turtle Talk due to the long queue's.

Rachael managed to get a pink candy mouse made for her by the candy artist over at the Japan pavillion!

Special mention must also go to the CM Lonnie over at the American Adventure. He noticed our honeymoon pins and made a point of congratulating us. He also presented us with a Magical Moment certificate and a antenna topper. He took us inside the American Adventure building for our special honeymoon telephone message with Mickey and Minnie. He then led us into the show through the elevator and talked with us for a while about the show - he was one of the nicest CM's we have ever spoken to.

We also got a free cheesecake each at the Electric Umbrella! :slurp:

Animal Kingdom

Everest was superb - the backwards section was much more intense that we were expecting LOL

AK was open until 9 PM during the extra magic hours, which was great - never seen the park lit up at night.

Disney MGM Studios

We were determined to see Playhouse Disney Live on Stage this year, something that we have never experienced. Did not see it after all! MUST see it next time! lol

Didn't bother with the Animation tour due to the dissapointment in seeing it in it's present form back in 2004.

Lights Motors Action was ok... much better than watching it in the cold over in Paris though!

Great Movie ride - Managed to see the Cowboy scene for the first time ever! It's only taken 10 years and 7 trips!

Journey into Narnia - TOTAL waste of time! lol You just walk through a door into a small room decorated like a snowy forest. Then an actress talks to you for about a minute and then you watch the Narnia trailer - something I could do at home LOL, and we queued for about 15 minutes for that?? There were a few token pieces of Narnia props at the end that could have been displayed anywhere. An embarrasment...:brick:

This was our best trip to WDW ever. We spent only one day of our trip outside WDW, this was to visit the Premium Outlets. It was a nice day, the only downside was the pushy timeshare salesmen.

Hope you enjoyed..

Jerm

Sounds like you had a great time! Congrats also....I have never heard of the Mickey/Minnie call, what do they say?

J

shaelyn

PBarton said:
There was a funny CM at the Haunted Mansion during the Extra Magic Hours - He had a stick and kept bashing it on the wall, during the preshow and shouting "It's only ice" ?? Had no idea what he was talking about though..

ROTFLMAO ohhh man that made me laugh out loud! Anyone know what this was about?!

Also, congratulations!!!

PBarton

Original Poster
Jerm said:
Sounds like you had a great time! Congrats also....I have never heard of the Mickey/Minnie call, what do they say?

J
It is Mickey and Minnie, congratulating you on behalf of your wedding. They go on to mention that they love wedding cake, pretty cool.

I think the CM dialed 2333 on a WDW phone. I tried to call the number from a Disney phone in one of the corridors of the Animal Kingdom Lodge to see if it worked on any internal line, but it did not appear to work.

PBarton

Original Poster
shaelyn said:
ROTFLMAO ohhh man that made me laugh out loud! Anyone know what this was about?!

Also, congratulations!!!
It was really funny, he must have banged the wall with that stick about 10 times - as guests entered the chamber and during the stretching scene.

He even stared directly at us as we passed him, only for him to shout "It's only ice".

Does anyone here know what he was talking about?

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Congratulations on your marriage first and formost!

Thanks for sharing your trip, sounds like a properly special holiday. Really nice to hear about the interaction with the CM in AA...keeping the magic alive. :sohappy:

crazygirley

I'm so glad you had a great honeymoon!!! Congratulations and best wishes!!! I liked reading your trip report since my future husband and I plan on spending the first half of our own honeymoon at WDW at AKL (or Contemporary :veryconfu ), and it is nice to read a firsthand report!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom