Merf chooses to Go! (M:S Green)

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Merfy went on M:S finally :)

It's fun, i like it a lot.

First off.. the new warning sign, with image compression.. so it's a little blurry but you get the piont..

100_1349.jpg

There are CM's at area before you enter the planetary plaza proper making sure folks are in the right lines. Green folks get a green sheet (that'd be moi!) and Orange folks get their own sheets. Further in, the FP checker gives them (FP people) their choice of sheet.

Orange standyby extended beyond the gravity wheel, but I think was under 20mins. Green standby, being the old singles queue, went back to the corner and down a little ways, but staying the gravity wheel room. None of the switchbacks were used, but it looked like either line could use them.

They definately went in and moved or removed some of the stantion poles to make this work.

All 3 lines converged in the hallway over looking the control tower area and the "famous flights" walkway. The orange team was against the windows, the green team against the placards of the flights. the center path was unused and FP was merged into their desired line at this point. This area audibly warns that orange is intense and that folks can still transfer to green, and that all people can explore the post-show area for further training without a flight.

Overall, I waited just a few minutes, maybe 2 cycles max.

Pre-show is shorter and I was in the first bay on the left, I beleive it's yellow. There is no mention of spinning, but rather warnings against motion sickness and simulators. It sounded like the original actress, also in the new hallway announcements too.

Once on the ride, same film, and when we tilted back I was a little nervous. I was really more nervous when the acceleration started. I don' know what it does, since it doesn't spin, but it felt very realistic. Through the ride, all the movement was smooth and convincing. The smoothness reminded me of Soarin' as opposed to Body Wars or Star Tours. Even weightlessness felt neat as you seemed to tilt forward.

The slingshot was neat, I don't know what it does, but it works, and you go "fwing" to one side. Hypersleep, asteroids, and the rockey landing were all the same as I had seen in videos, but overcourse with matching movement. It never felt like a simulator like Body Wars or Star Tours does, but more like a gentle gliding motion. Best i could compare it to would be like saying you were haging on a pendulum that was swinging insynch with the movie.

This is definately a good move. Everyone seemed happy with it. Orange line was longer, but also moving 2x as fast as Green. More people were playing in post show then I've seen recently. I can see it being a favorite ride of a space junky and an enjoyable once-a-trip experience for everyone else. I wont avoid the pavilion like it's a buffer zone anymore.

Okie.. a few more pics..

More signs...

100_1348.jpg

FP distribution is rerouted and got a new time period sign:

100_1347.jpg

And here's an overall, where you can see a slight clog of people as they're routed to the correct line:

100_1346.jpg

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Forgot to mention...

There's a "time guide" type handout being given out with park maps explaining the new version and the difference between the two.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Yup, still have the barf bags.

Other questions I predict...

Orange was running both of the right-hand fuges. I only saw Green load the first left one.

FP line did get a slight delay, but no more than a few mins before being merged. Green and FP were the same length when i got in line, but then FP dissappeared and Green stayed just as long, growing a little actually.

Orange appreared to be twice as long as green, but seemed to move twice as fast. I don't know what's around the corner from the gravity wheel so i can't really say.

imagineersrock

I'm really pleasantly suprised how this turned out from what I see and read in your update. Glad you finally got to experience M:S, and glad you enjoyed it! I will definitely have to check this out myself now to see how it compares to the origional.

Thanks again for the info and pics, Merf!

Woody13

mousermerf said:
Orange appreared to be twice as long as green, but seemed to move twice as fast. I don't know what's around the corner from the gravity wheel so i can't really say.
I would guess that is because Orange has 3 pods to load while Green only has 1 pod to load?

I rode M:S soon after it opened and thought I would never ride it again. I did not enjoy the spinning. With the Green option, I'll give it a try next visist! :wave:

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
I'm not sure Orange was using 3. I only saw 3 of them load, 1 for Green and 2 for orange. It very well could be that they split it down the middle, or have the one spare to switch to whichever needs it. Neither line, from my experience working simulators in the past, seemed long enough to warrant having all 4 operating.

Epcot82Guy

Thanks Merf! It sounds like this is a success (would you agree?). I realize very few attractions would be able to implement this type of system, but if one needed it, M:S was it. I haven't ridden either, so I look forward to TWO rides when I get there.

Woody13

mousermerf said:
I'm not sure Orange was using 3. I only saw 3 of them load, 1 for Green and 2 for orange. It very well could be that they split it down the middle, or have the one spare to switch to whichever needs it. Neither line, from my experience working simulators in the past, seemed long enough to warrant having all 4 operating.
Makes perfect sense. Thanks for the explanation. :wave:

imagineersrock

So overall, did you find the operation of the ride to be running pretty smoothly?---Particularly the distribution/collection of the orange and green cards, or sheets as you referred to them as... Also, did it seem that guests were able to distinguish between the two versions fairly easily?

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
I think it was very effective. I liked the ride, I knew the plot and video, so that made it a little less than a "new" ride for me, but I enjoyed it. I would probably say Soarin', Test Track, then M:S are the funnest rides at Epcot in that order.

Here's the handout in the park map that explains to guests...

scan0009.jpg

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
imagineersrock said:
So overall, did you find the operation of the ride to be running pretty smoothly?---Particularly the distribution/collection of the orange and green cards, or sheets as you referred to them as... Also, did it seem that guests were able to distinguish between the two versions fairly easily?

You couldn't "not choose" and the only folks I saw held up were FP'ers who had to choose just after entering the big red globe. There were 2 CM's right at the planetary plaza "pinch point" with stantion poles and extended queue. They FP go into it's line, but made standby go one side or the other, giving them the "sheets."

I call them sheets because they are like times guides and have warnings for the ride type chosen and that sort of stuff printed on them. The Green sheet seemed to have less stuff on it than Orange, predictably.

Something along the lines of "You have chosen..."

As you entered the big red ball, the lines went their seperate ways and FP had a CM there to help them choose what card they wanted. Then all was normal until the Photo/Tower hallway. There CM's looked at the cards and put people in the right lines, putting FP into the proper line when it shortened. It sorta like how Soarin' loads, but the two lines are right next to each other rather than down the slopes.

Then more CM's, taking the cards as you're sent to a pre-show room, and they were making sure everyone had one. It seems like a waste of paper, but they can say everyone knows what they're getting themself into now.

I will note that the pre-show had a "delay" before it started, apparently to make up for the clips removed. Aside from me knowing that he goes into the speil about intensity after talking about the ship, new folks will never know it's missing.

dxwwf3

Sounds like everything is being handled very well. I just wish they could give out red cards for those that wish the Orange cards delivered a much more intense experience :lol:

Computer Magic

Woody13 said:
I would guess that is because Orange has 3 pods to load while Green only has 1 pod to load?

I rode M:S soon after it opened and thought I would never ride it again. I did not enjoy the spinning. With the Green option, I'll give it a try next visist! :wave:
I agree with you....:wave:

Kadee

Great update, Merf! Can't wait to try it myself. I was quite leary about going on the original as I get very motion sick. Now, I can enjoy M:S without too much worry.

diddy_mouse

I for one am excited about this. I did the intense version of M:S and didn't mind it, was a little heavy for me to handle, but I was fine afterwards. I am looking foward to trying the less-intense version just to compare. Hopefully this will bring more guests over to the pavillion and give the attraction a try. :D

SpongeScott

I rode both today. Green is still kinda intense--or more than I thought it would be. Green will still give you a good ride, so give it a go. I still prefer the spinning, to get that real launch feel, but you'll not be disappointed with the green side.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom