The end of Cranium Command?

Neverland

I know it’s not the best idea to go around closed off areas of Disney World, but my sister and I could not resist the opportunity.

Good think you didn't go exploring at Soarin'... The photos I saw of what was left of the Food Rocks stage were c-r-e-e-p-y. :lookaroun Crazy how Disney just lets stuff sit like that. River Country is pretty scary, too.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Original Poster
Good think you didn't go exploring at Soarin'... The photos I saw of what was left of the Food Rocks stage were c-r-e-e-p-y. :lookaroun Crazy how Disney just lets stuff sit like that. River Country is pretty scary, too.

I don't think the F.R. stage is creepy, after all it doesn't have any animatronics.. what's creepy is probably cranium command, have u seen the photo of him? last picture i saw one of his eyebrows was missing, his right eye was down and the other up, and he's going BALD!!! :eek:

- WondersOfLife

The last original pavilion. :king:

BobMoriarity

August 2010 trip we looked for the entrance door to the old FOOD ROCKS area and we couldnt find it. For the best, that area is very busy.

I would love to explore the River Country area or Discovery Island. Honestly- I would be too nervous, I would not want to get banned from the property. (plus its too hard to get to Discovery Island)

Did you happen to see this expedition to River Country? The music still plays in the park........
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4JwgmPEIDQ

DisneySaint

August 2010 trip we looked for the entrance door to the old FOOD ROCKS area and we couldnt find it. For the best, that area is very busy.

As a former CM at Soarin', I'm quite familiar with this area. The old Food Rocks entrance as you knew it is gone; it's basically where the entrance to the Soarin' queue and restroom area is at. The stage itself absolutely still exists (or did as of about 2 years ago). It is behind the left wall at the very beginning of the queue. I really don't think there's anyway to see through it. You would not be able to access it from anywhere within the inside of The Land pavillion - it's been sealed off. I can tell you the animatronics are gone but some of the backround things like the fridge remain. It is certainly in an irrestorable condition.

Cranium Command existed in shambles as of 2008ish when I last saw it. Someone posted pictures recently of what it looked like inside and they were pretty much what I remembered. It's pretty incomprehensible to me how you can miss an attraction like that. What you miss is the novely of it and the way it made you feel when you saw it back in the day. Realistically, if that attraction were open now, it'd be an embrassasment to Epcot and to WDW itself, frankly. That's the show you want new guest seeing when you come in? Though the whole WoL pavillion now is laregely unused, sometimes (in the same way "ignorance is bliss") nothing somewhere is better than something.

BobMoriarity

It's pretty incomprehensible to me how you can miss an attraction like that. What you miss is the novely of it and the way it made you feel when you saw it back in the day. Realistically, if that attraction were open now, it'd be an embrassasment to Epcot and to WDW itself, frankly. That's the show you want new guest seeing when you come in? Though the whole WoL pavillion now is laregely unused, sometimes (in the same way "ignorance is bliss") nothing somewhere is better than something.

Would CRANIUM COMMAND be dated if it was still open today? Yes it would. But there are plenty of dated attractions in EPCOT that are still in operation. An Embrassamet to EPCOT? Hardly..... Imagination Pavillion and how IT stands today is an embrassament to EPCOT, along with most of the films that play in World Showcase. I am not saying CRANIUM in its past form should exsist today, but current EPCOT does lack truly FUN and ENJOYABLE attractions as it once did (Horizons, World of Motion, Original Imagination, but all would be dated today). Test Track is a joke, and the fact that they call it a THRILL ride because it goes fast is an EMBRASSAMENT. In my opinion- Test Track is dated and has been dated for at least five years.

I feel that DISNEY OPERATIONS made a lot of bad choices in regards to how they changed EPCOT in the 90's. The current attractions lack the fun that EPCOT attractions once had.

CRANIUM COMMAND was fun, and if tweaked for the current era, would still provide a fun, educational experience.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Why did they stop showing Cranium Command? What exactly was it?
A very clever multi media show. The pavilions sponsor pulled out, so it limped along for another few years until Disney in their infinite wisdom closed the $80 million facility and deemed the inside open areas for special events only.

If I may, the entire show is here in multi angle video / source quality audio http://vimeo.com/5777175

Enchantâmes

I find it remarkable that the directors of Cranium Command would go on to direct Beauty and the Beast, and the Hunchback of Notre Dame. :)

ChrisFL

Premium Member
A very clever multi media show. The pavilions sponsor pulled out, so it limped along for another few years until Disney in their infinite wisdom closed the $80 million facility and deemed the inside open areas for special events only.

If I may, the entire show is here in multi angle video / source quality audio http://vimeo.com/5777175

The show also felt very 80's with (semi) famous actors from that era. Actually most of the WOL pavilion was very 80's...I wish they'd do more with the building, I love being inside the dome, it's very bright and just a nice place to be in.

WondersOfLife

Original Poster
Wonders of Life was the only place we actually went to until up about when it closed so I must've been about 9 and we were there the last time it was open. It was a busy day so we spent basically until future world closed in that one pavilion! My favorite out of all the park was Cranium Command. I didn't even know who the actors were, but it was soooo entertaining to me, and at the time, for whatever reason, I thought it had opened in 2006! :ROFLOL:

- WondersOfLife

Prototype82

Hmm, I finally get to experience an attraction, no wait, a pavilion at WDW close down that's one of my favorites!

Guess I know how you guys feel about the apparantly "great" rides ya'll miss.. Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, 20K leauges UTS, Alien Encounter, Imagination, Horizons, Kitchen Kabaret.. must I go on?

.. :shrug:
..But for a park like Epcot, it's about moving forward. You have to reinvent and create new things. Nemo doesn't count of course...But Spaceship Earth, Mission: Space(not that it should have ever replaced Horizons)...Future World needs to change. We just need to cross our fingers and hopes Disney creates new attractions. New relevant attractions.

WondersOfLife

Original Poster
Personally I wish mass was still in Latin...But for a park like Epcot, it's about moving forward. You have to reinvent and create new things. Nemo doesn't count of course...But Spaceship Earth, Mission: Space(not that it should have ever replaced Horizons)...Future World needs to change. We just need to cross our fingers and hopes Disney creates new attractions. New relevant attractions.

I dunno, if it's really good like Space Mountain or The Great Movie Ride, it could last for a looooong amount of time... That basically goes to The World Showcase. :animwink:

- WondersOfLife

pax_65

I dunno, if it's really good like Space Mountain or The Great Movie Ride, it could last for a looooong amount of time...

I don't disagree with you, but recognize the value of technology in improving the experience of an attraction. For example... if the original imagineers of Space Mountain had the ability to give the attraction a "launch" that resembles a spaceship launch, I'm sure they would have done so.

Today, that technology is available. So at some point, the attraction should be updated with an accelerated launch. Because when you climb into a Saturn rocket, the launch is probably the most exciting moment.

And you don't typically hear the clink-clank of chains pulling you into orbit. ;)

WondersOfLife

Original Poster
I don't disagree with you, but recognize the value of technology in improving the experience of an attraction. For example... if the original imagineers of Space Mountain had the ability to give the attraction a "launch" that resembles a spaceship launch, I'm sure they would have done so.

Today, that technology is available. So at some point, the attraction should be updated with an accelerated launch. Because when you climb into a Saturn rocket, the launch is probably the most exciting moment.

And you don't typically hear the clink-clank of chains pulling you into orbit. ;)

:lol: Good point.. I'd like to see a new Cranium Command with a new story, and perhaps the cartoons could look similar to the style of Pixar Characters. Also updated sound on the preshow and a new video with the pixar-styled cartoons instead of the classic-style cartoons.. perhaps change it from Cranium Command: Special Engagement to a new story called Cranium Command: The Bullied VS. The Bullies, about Buzzy getting a group of friends (humans) to get pay back on bullies... :sohappy:

- WondersOfLife

WondersOfLife

Original Poster
:lol: Good point.. I'd like to see a new Cranium Command with a new story, and perhaps the cartoons could look similar to the style of Pixar Characters. Also updated sound on the preshow and a new video with the pixar-styled cartoons instead of the classic-style cartoons.. perhaps change it from Cranium Command: Special Engagement to a new story called Cranium Command: The Bullied VS. The Bullies, about Buzzy getting a group of friends (humans) to get pay back on bullies... :sohappy:

OMG My post was found and put on someone's blog! I agree in the post that most of you don't think that my concept would work but it actually would...

http://wol4eva.blogspot.com/

Look for the post: Possibility 2: Try a Time Warp :sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

- WondersOfLife

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom