Odd question - UoE and solar panels

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Original Poster
I work in a lab. We use a technique called accelerator mass spectrometry (AMS) to measure rare nuclides. Currently, we are working on a project to determine the production rate of a rare, long-lived isotope (aluminum-26, half-live of 720,000 years). It is produced by muon induced decomposition of silicon-28. It is used for dating (much like carbon-14). One thing that limits the utility of this nuclide is the fact that its production rate is unknown. What does this have to do with WDW you ask?

Well, a couple of weeks ago we figured out that if we could find a solar panel that had been exposed to the environment (i.e. cosmic rays) since the 1970s or 1980s it would be an ideal way for us to determine the production rate of aluminum-26 here on earth. I immediately thought of the solar panels on UoE built in 1982 (I didn't tell my co-workers they already think I'm insane). However, a couple of telephone forays to WDW have yielded nothing. Does anyone know of any way I could contact an engineer who works at EPCOT or someone who does routine maintenance on UoE (i.e. would know if they ever swap out solar panels, etc.). THANKS!!!

EDIT - If you know someone I could contact personally, you may just want to send me an e-mail since I'm sure people don't want contact info advertised all over a public forum.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Energy's panels have been replaced atleast once, or atleast some portions of the array - either the wiring and inverter system, or the entire thing. Finding an original panel on the current system seems unlikely, but it might be possible.

I don't think anything has been changed since the 96 refurbishment though, so finding one that's atleast 10 years old is very likely.

I would recommend a priority mail letter to Epcot's engineering staff or possibly more phone calls. There are folks in that area who have been around long enough to know.

peter11435

I remember a photo posted on this forum a few years ago of a Walt Disney World Engineering CM holding one of the solar panels in a backstage hall.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
If I recall, the entire array has stopped working by the `96 rehab, so was replaced. Try PM`ing a member here called planet7 - he is an ex UoE CM & someone with a passion for the building.

BTW; the RCID office attached to the Central Energy Plant in the North Service Area has/had a solar roof - this was a well documented experiment when it opened. Possibly try contacting RCID about that? http://www.rcid.org/

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Original Poster
I'm replying in part to thank you guys who actually answered this and to bump it once in case someone else in the know who missed this earlier will see it.

Seriously - Thanks for the ideas. I didn't think anyone would reply to this when I orginally posted it.

Also - I meant to type silicon-28 in my original post not silicone-28. What common items made of silicone might I have been thinking of?:lol:

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Original Poster
Look - I actually got some solar panels from the Universe of Energy

Well, see attached picture. This is a picture of me with solar cells from the roof of Universe of Energy. The array was re-wired in 1998 when a power inverter failed and they didn't need all the solar panels after that. Thus, some fraction of them remained on the roof and were unused (dead section). They were left there for looks. Once I found the correct person he was able to help me out and they pulled a couple of these off and replaced them. I really can't believe I was successful with this. Maybe I can continually come up with convoluted stories to get pieces of WDW sent to me piece by piece. :lol: Space Mountain - you're next!

The unfortunate thing is that these solar panels will be destroyed. I almost wish I had asked for an extra one to keep just for me. Lord knows what I would have done with and it wouldn't have made the wife happy.

Attachments

• UoE1.JPG
    UoE1.JPG
    363.2 KB · Views: 83

wild01ride

This is all pretty exciting from the Disney Magic point of view!

Not only can you love Disney, belong to a discussion forum, and talk with all your friends about Disney, but some day it turns out that your work has something to do with something Disney, that Disney would actually take a phone call and hear you out, and that you would end up with the cooperation of the entity you love so much in your work environment.

Gosh, that's pretty much as awesome as it can get. Hmm, go to work, work on Disney-related stuff! Where do I sign up??
(If you need help with this or any other Disney-related investigation, please let me know. I know nothing about radioactive decay, but I'm good at taking the pictures of a whoever's holding the important subject! Or I can just fetch lunch, you choose!)

Hmm, now, to figure out what I need at work that has something to do with Disney (besides a good vacation!)

Props to you for the effort and the success!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom