What is the consensus on PI and HW?

What would you prefer happen to PI?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Did Knee

Original Poster
I have been seeing the ongoing discussion between various factions here regarding PI and its redevelopment into HW. It is obvious that TDO has set its collective mindset on the HW project, but I was wondering how much support it truly has among WDW Magic readers. I realize this is a source of heated debate between several regular posters already, but my question is where popular opinion on this project stands at this time. Thanks for playing!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The harsh reality is that HW, like the rest of DTD, is at it's heart a strip mall. Granted it will be a very nice strip mall, but at the end of the day is is simply a collection of stores, restaurants and entertainment. While I am still quite bitter about the closure of the AC I plan on checking out HW. If there are stores and restaurants there that appeal to me I will return. If not I won't. Simple as that. I would have more of an optimistic view about the development if they announced that the AC would be returning or really anything of substance, but right now all we have is pretty concept art. The buildings look great but until we know what will be going in to said buildings, HW is noting more than an ascetically appealing group of buildings.

Did Knee

Original Poster
I agree with you Master Yoda, I was a big AC fan and used to split one night of every WDW vacation between AC and the Jazz club. But I know there are a diversity of opinions out there on this, and I am very interested to see where the WDW Magic community as a whole truly stands on this question.

Did Knee

Original Poster
C'mon folks!! 11 votes isn't much of a snapshot. Please vote in this poll, I REALLY want to know what you guys think!

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
Just from a pure selfish standpoint I'd rather see shops and restaurants. I'm not even slightly interested in clubs.

Mukta

I want nightclubs.
WDW already has a lot of families and children to do. There are fans that don't have children and would enjoy some adult only time while on vacation there.
I enjoyed PI for the comedy clubs and the night clubs. I miss having a place to go late and night and dance, laugh and grab a drink.

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
I want nightclubs but I understand that because they ungated the island and brought in 3rd party establishments, we can't have the sort of party atmosphere that the original PI had. Therefore, I would be perfectly fine and happy with a combination of the HW concept and some comedy and dance clubs. Specifically, I think that AC, CW, MDP, and 8-trax could anchor HW and make everyone happy. The whole party atmosphere would be reduced which is what Disney wants, but it also gives adults something worthwhile to do at night.

828tnt

The harsh reality is that HW, like the rest of DTD, is at it's heart a strip mall. Granted it will be a very nice strip mall, but at the end of the day is is simply a collection of stores, restaurants and entertainment. While I am still quite bitter about the closure of the AC I plan on checking out HW. If there are stores and restaurants there that appeal to me I will return. If not I won't. Simple as that. I would have more of an optimistic view about the development if they announced that the AC would be returning or really anything of substance, but right now all we have is pretty concept art. The buildings look great but until we know what will be going in to said buildings, HW is noting more than an ascetically appealing group of buildings.

^^^
agreed. and count me in with those who would be far more excited if the ac would still be there. there's just not too much of a draw to dtd other than being out of the parks for part of a day to focus solely on shopping.

Did Knee

Original Poster
With 43 responses, over 2/3 of responses are favoring some kind of solution that features night clubs. An interesting result. :drevil:

Did Knee

Original Poster
With 48 responses the hybrid solution is way ahead. I was taken to task for soliciting for my poll in the "save the Adventurers Club" thread, the point was made that viewers of that thread would skew the numbers in favor of clubs. Can I ask members that view this poll to post in ALL appropriate threads my request that everyone come and vote in this? My intention is truly to get a real cross section of where the community stands on this. Thank you all. :wave:

MarkTwain

I voted hybrid. As someone who was too young to enjoy PI for most of its existence, I'll admit to thinking that there were some conceptual problems to placing an adult-oriented district directly in the path of two districts geared to families. I would have liked to see Disney attempt to introduce more family-friendly options to PI, without ditching the nightlife idea entirely. Maybe make all of the ground level buildings dedicated to stores and restaurants, while putting clubs and bars on second floors with back entrances... or create a special plaza off of the main thoroughfare surrounded by the various nightlife options, so any crazy behavior could be contained and easily passed... or consolidate all of the separate dance clubs into a single, out of the way, paid-admission dance club, while toning everything else down to bars, lounges, and comedy shows (and thereby keeping Adventurers Club)... it seems like there were a lot of options besides just bringing out the bulldozers. :shrug:

Did Knee

Original Poster
Thank you to all that voted. It seems that close to 2/3 of respondents here wanted some sort of nightlife option that includes alcohol consumption. Whether you think my poll was scientific or not (Hi Scooter! :wave:) I think this does show that there is significant support in the fan base for an easily accessible nightlife option. This poll is open for voting by wdwmagic members until April 30, 2011. Please continue to feel free to add your opinion to the pot. Your take on the subject, whatever it might be, is welcome.

Jimmy Thick

Nightclubs are rather meh when considering your at Disney World. When you think about it, the primary demographic is people with children, and people with children tend to stay late in the parks to get proper value for their hard earned dollar.

I would love to have more upscale dining in the area, more shows like LaNouba, but otherwise, I find the current state of DTD to be good enough.

Jimmy Thick- Don't you know that you are a shootin' star...

Did Knee

Original Poster
65 responses with over 60% favoring a solution that includes clubs. This poll is open till the end of April, so feel free to vote!! Jimmy Thick - My wife and I are a childless couple that are WDW fanatics. I do enjoy tossing down a few drinks in the evening, especially if I can be entertained by a good show or good music while I do it. I miss the AC, Jazz and comedy clubs, the 3 I used to haunt at least one night of every vacation. My poll shows I am not alone. Are you really saying that people like me should not be able to have this kind of entertainment at WDW and should go elsewhere? I don't think you really men it that way, at least I hope not. You do understand that some of us enjoy this kind of thing I hope, and would not deny us simply because it "isn't your thing".

MKCP 1985

to me, a strip mall is a place where you drive up and park right outside the store entrance. Downtown Disney in general and Hyperion Wharf specifically is not a strip mall as I understand the concept.

More like an open air mall, which have become popular but are somewhat uncommon. I have to drive 90 minutes to the closest one. :shrug:

When I am not in the parks but am visiting Disney, I like to be able to find fun places to walk around, and certainly to eat. To that end, I am not against Hyperion Wharf.

I went to Pleasure Island in its heyday when the clubs were all packed and there were large crowds in the courtyard buying glowing shots and listening to the rock band on stage. It was a little crazy and some very "Un-Disney" things were going on upstairs, but I'm no prude.

I have also been at Pleasure Island when the clubs were empty and the band played to no-one but the janitorial staff. Not a pretty sight.

My vote would have to be to give the Hyperion Wharf a chance. I'm not voting because of the wording "as planned." I'm not certain I know that the plans have been fully released, or that I understand them if they have. Seems they are still holding back some cards, maybe. :lookaroun

Did Knee

Original Poster
to me, a strip mall is a place where you drive up and park right outside the store entrance. Downtown Disney in general and Hyperion Wharf specifically is not a strip mall as I understand the concept.

More like an open air mall, which have become popular but are somewhat uncommon. I have to drive 90 minutes to the closest one. :shrug:

When I am not in the parks but am visiting Disney, I like to be able to find fun places to walk around, and certainly to eat. To that end, I am not against Hyperion Wharf.

I went to Pleasure Island in its heyday when the clubs were all packed and there were large crowds in the courtyard buying glowing shots and listening to the rock band on stage. It was a little crazy and some very "Un-Disney" things were going on upstairs, but I'm no prude.

I have also been at Pleasure Island when the clubs were empty and the band played to no-one but the janitorial staff. Not a pretty sight.

My vote would have to be to give the Hyperion Wharf a chance. I'm not voting because of the wording "as planned." I'm not certain I know that the plans have been fully released, or that I understand them if they have. Seems they are still holding back some cards, maybe. :lookaroun

I don't totally disagree. Nothing should stay stagnant and I agree PI was well on its way to stagnation. To me an "HW plus clubs" solution would not be heinous (as long as it included the AC).

Krack

I don't totally disagree. Nothing should stay stagnant and I agree PI was well on its way to stagnation. To me an "HW plus clubs" solution would not be heinous (as long as it included the AC).

It wasn't "on its way to stagnation" - they killed it intentionally. If your brother had a nice rose plant and went outside and cut every flower off of it and then refused to water it, would you say "Hmm, this plant isn't really showing the growth I'd like to see. It looks terrible?" No, of course not. You'd (properly) say, "Hey, you're killing the plant. Stop that, go back to what you were doing, and leave it alone."

Disney had a nice rose plant (Pleasure Island), that they didn't want anymore, so they cut every flower off (removed the gates, allowed the neighborhood kids to turn it into the local mall), refused to water it (removed outside stage show and fireworks and NYE celebration), acted surprised, and said "I can't believe it, the plant's dead".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom