Disney's Western Way

DisneyNirvana

Original Poster
Anybody got news on the new highway that's supposedly being built called
"Western Way"?? I am wondering if it will be operational by June.

Vernonpush

Is this the new extension/exit from the toll turnpike? Does anyone know when it is supposed to open? Will it be open by the end of April?

DisneyNirvana

Original Poster
Disney paves way to make new road which will bypass I-4 highway!

09/13/2005 :sohappy:

The private road will give Walt Disney World guests access from the west so they can bypass the busy freeway.

Walt Disney World is quietly building a new road onto its property that could siphon thousands of tourists a day off Interstate 4.

The route would take visitors driving down the Interstate 75/Florida's Turnpike corridor into Disney from State Road 429, the Western Beltway toll road being built through western Orange County.

When more of that expressway opens this winter, one of the exits will lead to a new four-lane divided road called Western Way, entering Disney from the west.

"The connection of the new Western Way to the Western Beltway will be a convenient alternative . . . to access Walt Disney World Resort," said Andrea Finger, spokeswoman for Walt Disney Imagineering.

The Western Beltway is being jointly built by Florida's Turnpike Enterprise and the Orlando-Orange County Expressway Authority.

The Expressway Authority is spending $230 million to extend the toll road south 11 miles from County Road 535 to Seidel Road. The turnpike group is spending $310 million on the next 11 miles to I-4.

The sections from C.R. 535 to U.S. Highway 192 should open in December, and the rest about a year later.

The new Disney road could open by March or April, connecting with an interchange on S.R. 429 about three miles north of U.S. 192, in the turnpike enterprise's section. From there, Western Way snakes east and south for 3.5 miles inside Disney property, ending at West Buena Vista Road between Blizzard Beach and Disney-MGM Studios.

Rob562

DisneyNirvana said:
The new Disney road could open by March or April, connecting with an interchange on S.R. 429 about three miles north of U.S. 192, in the turnpike enterprise's section. From there, Western Way snakes east and south for 3.5 miles inside Disney property, ending at West Buena Vista Road between Blizzard Beach and Disney-MGM Studios.

And just to get more specific on the location, Western Way skirts the edge of Coronado Springs on the Blizzard Beach side. We could see all the construction when we were in the World in December. Also, this new section of 429 cuts right through Orange Lake Country Club, which is where we had a timeshare condo for the week.

-Rob

PX57chevy

Completion?

Has this road been completed? I was looking to travel it soon since it is still listed as a dotted red line from AAA, I was wondering if it is trully finished???

Thanks ALL:) :wave:

trr313

Yes this road has been completed and it's great. It cuts so much time off of our travel time now. No billboards or litter on the roadway, it's great. I'm hoping not everyone will find out about it just yet as there is no traffic on the roadway ever. Oh PS Do not speed on it, we have seen people pulled over each time we have been on it.

scpergj

We've traveled it three times now from the southwest side of Jacksonvlle. The trip actually takes us about 15 minutes longer, but we drive to WDW that way since we usually drive down during rush hour, which adds as much as two hours to the drive time. Takes us 3 hours, but the drive is really nice. Much less traffic, and 429 itself is a really nice road.

BTW, you can see pretty much all of the icons and larger hotels from the road just before the WDW exit. We like that part better than what you can (more like can't) see from I-4.

TimeTrip

PS Do not speed on it, we have seen people pulled over each time we have been on it.

This is absolutely correct. FOLLOW THE SPEED LIMITS. I know 35 mph over that bridge on the way in feels SLOOOOOOOOOW, but the police are usually waiting just around the bend for you to speed.

Ditto on the way out, I've seen police around a sneaky bend just after the bridge.

They are there during slow parts of the day in addition to the busy times. So I will repeat... OBEY those speed limits. I think it's absurd that the limit gets down to 35 on that road. I also think it's absurd that Disney just opened the road only to have it camped by the police. However, you should always follow the speed limits :)

Figment1986

This is absolutely correct. FOLLOW THE SPEED LIMITS. I know 35 mph over that bridge on the way in feels SLOOOOOOOOOW, but the police are usually waiting just around the bend for you to speed.

Ditto on the way out, I've seen police around a sneaky bend just after the bridge.

They are there during slow parts of the day in addition to the busy times. So I will repeat... OBEY those speed limits. I think it's absurd that the limit gets down to 35 on that road. I also think it's absurd that Disney just opened the road only to have it camped by the police. However, you should always follow the speed limits :)

This goes for any road near Disney property...
(I've seen cops near I-4 and that road that leads to celebration i forget it's designation... but they like to hang out there since it's limit goes from 60 to 30 then slowly to 45..)

Gravydeen

Is the speed limit 35 the entire length of the western way from the turnpike or just near Disney property. If it is the entire length, how can this be quicker than taking 27?

KrazyKowboy

does this make the ride from the airport any quicker?

I'm not a local but from what I've gathered, the Western way will benefit those arriving from the north and west. MCO is to the east so it would probably be out of your way to take the Western Way.

I've flown in years past, but drove to Universal during spring break this year from Atlanta, and will be driving down in three weeks for this years WDW vacation.
Coming south into Florida on I-75, we pick up the Florida Turnpike and usually stay on it to I-4. The map shows that mileage will be saved by exiting the Florida Turnpike and taking the Western Beltway to Western Way over to WDW.

It's nice to have this info before our trip, thanks.

I found this map on Florida Turnpike's website.

http://www.floridasturnpike.com/maps/UpdatedMaps2006/WesternBeltway06-01-06.pdf

WTBAD

Is the speed limit 35 the entire length of the western way from the turnpike or just near Disney property. If it is the entire length, how can this be quicker than taking 27?

We use to come down HWY 27 to 192 from th eTurnpike just out of Wildwood. Last time at WDW went back the Western Way. Saved us about 40 minutes getting back up the Turnpike to the Hwy 27 exit. I don't remember the speed limit but I wasn't driving 35 the whole way. I do remember seeing several smokeys.

lenshanem

I just put this in my palm. We took this new route last month. It was fantastic! (We also broke a new record - 6 hours from Atlanta to WDW!)

WDW DIRECTIONS
NEW ROUTE-
TO WDW:
I-75
I-475 @ exit 177
I-75
Florida Turnpike @ exit 328
FL-429 (Western Beltway) @ exit 267A
right toward Tampa
exit WDW & Hartzog Road
Western Way leads to Coronado Springs Resort area (Buena Vista Drive)
BACK HOME:
Coronado Springs Resort area (Buena Vista Drive)
turn @ Western Way
FL-429 NORTH
Florida Turnpike NORTH
I-75
I-475 @ exit 156
I-75

OLD ROUTE-
TO WDW:
I-75
I-475 @ exit 177
I-75
Florida Turnpike @ exit 328
US-27 @ exit 289
US-192
BACK HOME:
US-192
US-27
Florida Turnpike
I-75
I-475 @ exit 156
I-75

So THATS what it was!!!! Everyday getting off I-4 to WDW I saw it there being built and wondered what the sam hill it was!! NEAT-O GUYS! WAY TO GO!

Is it 100% complete?

TimeTrip

It's 45 most of the way, but drops to 35 once you get near coronado springs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom