I found a real eye opening article about WDI

peter11435

The article is interesting but I have to question some of the things in it. Like when they say AK was built full of restaurants and stores. The fact is the park has less of both than any other WDW park. It really doesn't even have any full service restaurants at all.

Ghostbuster626

Original Poster
peter11435 said:
The article is interesting but I have to question some of the things in it. Like when they say AK was built full of restaurants and stores. The fact is the park has less of both than any other WDW park. It really doesn't even have any full service restaurants at all.

I think what the article meant was there are far more eatries and stores in DAK then actual attractions and remember they are talking about when it opened so Kali River Rapids and Expedition Everest didnt exist yet.

tirian

A common complaint regarding DAK is that the attraction/store ratio is grossly unbalanced. Although there aren't a large number of stores, each store is a fairly good size; and carts seem to be set up all over the place.

Last summer was the first time my dad had seen DAK. After about two hours, he stopped walking, looked around, and exclaimed, "There's nothing to do here but spend money!" By this time, we'd already ridden every major attraction and watched a few shows; so although he knew better, he still said this. That's just an example of the common sentiment among Guests.

Connor002

Ghostbuster626 said:
Hopefully this problem will be dealt with.

Honestly, I'm not so sure about it anymore...
But, I do think Lasseter could turn things around, at least for a little while...

drew81

Wow!!! that's all I can say. Tony is a good guy. I've met him several times and his work speaks for itself.

imagineerfan

"While exciting, it is hardly original. Some are saying it is just a faster version of the Matterhorn at Disneyland and is just another thrill ride. The entire story for the ride can be found on the internet."

I have ridden the Matterhorn a few times, but not Everest. However, something tells me that the Matterhorn and Everest are pretty different. Also for being, "hardly original" where else in the world can you ride a fast train through the Himalayian Mountains and experience the Yeti?

I found some points to be very valid, however, I think there is some exaggeration in the columnist'd views.

Dan

wannab@dis

imagineerfan said:
I found some points to be very valid, however, I think there is some exaggeration in the columnist'd views.

Dan

There's no doubt that many of his points are out of context, exaggerated or just misleading. While WDI may have some problems, the current fad of blaming WDI for some opinionated faults is getting annoying. I also found it amusing that the one link for supporting material went to a JHM "article." :zipit:

Brian Noble

Sure, the guy wasn't "fired", he left "voluntarily" when he saw what was coming. Of course, those two situations aren't always as different as they may appear.

The article reads to me like someone with an axe to grind. And, it's still a single-source, opinion piece.

In other words, it's a nice story, but it may or many not actually reflect reality.

Ghostbuster626

Original Poster
imagineerfan said:
"While exciting, it is hardly original. Some are saying it is just a faster version of the Matterhorn at Disneyland and is just another thrill ride. The entire story for the ride can be found on the internet."

I have ridden the Matterhorn a few times, but not Everest. However, something tells me that the Matterhorn and Everest are pretty different. Also for being, "hardly original" where else in the world can you ride a fast train through the Himalayian Mountains and experience the Yeti?

weellll Expedition Everest is basically a hybrid of Big Thunder and Matterhorn with a bigger drop and a backward section. I think of Expedition: Everest as a sort of big budget remake of Matterhorn. Not that im complaining (although it could have done without the big drop :dazzle: ).

Lee

Adventurer
Can I just say..."no" to the first part and "so what" to the second part.

The author has some valid points, but much of the article is colored by perspective and opinion.

Ghostbuster626

Original Poster
I think the author was just trying to illustrate that expedition: everest lacks the complexity of such rides as Splash Mountain and Star Tours which are rides where you discover a new detail every time you ride them.

CrashNet

Would I be too bold to say that I personally think the entire imagineering team needs to be completely overhauled? I mean drastic, complete replacement of nearly every member with new creative minds who come in fresh with the knowledge of what they represent and lack the political history that seems to have sent them into a downward spiral.

peter11435

cac2889 said:
Would I be too bold to say that I personally think the entire imagineering team needs to be completely overhauled? I mean drastic, complete replacement of nearly every member with new creative minds who come in fresh with the knowledge of what they represent and lack the political history that seems to have sent them into a downward spiral.
Not to bold. But I don't think its necessary. I think they do need to get some new minds in there but for the most part WDI is full of very creative people who have only been held back by a lack of green lit projects, budgets, and corporate culture. All of that can change easily and quickly.

CaptainMichael

Ghostbuster626 said:
I think the author was just trying to illustrate that expedition: everest lacks the complexity of such rides as Splash Mountain and Star Tours which are rides where you discover a new detail every time you ride them.
Star Tours??? Surely you jest.

CrashNet

peter11435 said:
Not to bold. But I don't think its necessary. I think they do need to get some new minds in there but for the most part WDI is full of very creative people who have only been held back by a lack of green lit projects, budgets, and corporate culture. All of that can change easily and quickly.
See that's what I want to see: the ones that are there and still remember why they are there get the opportunity to shine. The others that are there for a paycheck and power need to go.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
This article got me to thinking. When I read something like this I have no idea if its true or not. A few people on these boards do, but they probably can't say too much (I mean we're not going to get a juicy Tony Baxter is a b*st**rd who stole all my ideas post). Thus, I have a proposal. Why don't forum members pitch in and buy me an annual pass and a two week stay at the Beach Club? I promise to spend my two weeks snooping around WDI finding out all sorts of juicy info. Then, when I get back I'll post my findings in a fact based thread. :lookaroun

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom