Illuminations changes/New show rumor!

imagineersrock

Original Poster
Illuminations changes/New show rumor! (New pics added Feb. 25th)

Hey folks, got to hear lots of very interesting information this evening while watching RoE.

After getting off work I decided to watch some fireworks. So- I went to my "usual" spot (front and center across from the American Adventure) and ended up standing next to 3 men.

Based on what I was overhearing from their conversation, at first I thought 1 or 2 of them were just big Illuminations fans like myself... Then I began to think they were perhaps part of the tech crew and that this was their night off or something... then, it finally became clear that at least 2 of them were part of some sort of creative design team that plays a major roll in Epcot fireworks.

Basically, the guys knew the show inside out... knew all about the previous barge problems, and what is (still) being done to fix it, and what changes are in store for the show.

Here is a list of things to Note:

1.) The opening sequence should be changing sometime in the near future. Ever since the barge explosion, someone in management was hesitant to return the opening effect to the roof of one of the buildings in the United Kingdom, hence the change to the launch from lagoon level. Here is the new plan: the opening shot will be moved to the top of the American Gardens Theater, and the launch system for the second shot will be moved to one of the fountain barges because (once again) someone in management isn't comfortable with the origional effect returning to the Inferno barge after the previous accident.

2.) (This new addition is already in place) A new effect has been added to Spaceship Earth once the show has finished. Somewhat like the effect shown after the holiday-tag version (All the different language good-byes) At the end of RoE, lasers from the American Adventure now create a "spinning globe" effect on Spaceship Earth. There is also text that reads:

ILLUMINATIONS

...Presented by:

...SIEMENS

This new effect was very well done, I really enjoyed it. (Sorry, no pics!)

3.) This final bit of news is probably the most interesting of all... Work is indeed under way for a new show. I have no details, no timeframe, simply the fact that a new show is in the works and that the working title is "Illuminations: Sky Dance." One bit I found particularly interesting was that there was apparently a heated debate about the name of the new show: Some of the people at this meeting thought "Illuminations: SkyDance" simply didn't roll of the tongue too well and suggested dropping the "Illuminations" part and letting the title simply be "Sky Dance." The other half of the argument was that it simply wouldn't be a fireworks show at Epcot without the name "Illuminations" in the title, and that dropping that part of the title was simply not an option. The man I was standing next to made it very clear he was part of the latter argument, and I think I agree with him... I just can't imagine wathing something other than "Illuminations..." at Epcot.

Well folks, thats all the info I was able to gather without being too obvious... Hope you enjoyed this little bit of news/rumor I stumbled across. I know we have a handful of pyro-techies here on the boards, not sure if they are allowed to, but if they are, perhaps they can confirm some of this information.

:wave:

Figment1986

Skydance.. thats a first i heard that name used... We all were sure of a new show.. interesting how management is hesitant from launching off of a building when MK and DL do it every night... the launching from the barge makes sence though...

S.E.A.

Well if this rumour is true, and I actually kind of trust you, this all sounds good.

about the title, yeah, Illuminations: Sky Dance doesn't sound right I have a couple of suggestions:

Illuminations: Fire in the Sky or Illuminations: Rhythms of the World (like that event in TDS)

Anyway, lucky you for your serendipity.

S.E.A.

Figment1986 said:
Skydance.. thats a first i heard that name used... We all were sure of a new show.. interesting how management is hesitant from launching off of a building when MK and DL do it every night... the launching from the barge makes sence though...

when MK and DL do it, aren't the Fantasylands (where they launch from) closed at those times?

Figment1986

S.E.A. said:
when MK and DL do it, aren't the Fantasylands (where they launch from) closed at those times?

I thought the launching sites at Epcot were closed as well... makes no sence to be runnning a ride that has a minimal chance to catch fire...

S.E.A.

Figment1986 said:
I thought the launching sites at Epcot were closed as well... makes no sence to be runnning a ride that has a minimal chance to catch fire...

but aren't guests still allowed to hang around that area to watch the show?

imagineersrock

Original Poster
S.E.A. said:
Well if this rumour is true, and I actually kind of trust you, this all sounds good.

about the title, yeah, Illuminations: Sky Dance doesn't sound right I have a couple of suggestions:

Illuminations: Fire in the Sky or Illuminations: Rhythms of the World (like that event in TDS)

Anyway, lucky you for your serendipity.

Haha... I'm glad you "actually kind of trust" me, that's not too bad for an online forum, right?

Honestly though, it was really just one of those right place at the right time kind of deals... I just started hearing all this interesting information and -needless to stay- started leaning in closer and closer to overhear this conversation. I would have done anything to stay and listen some more, but as the crowds dispersed (and I was by myself) it started to become rather obvious I was stalking the Epcot firework men. :lol:

DigitalDisney

Well, the globe spinning on SE isn't new, but I hope it's used all the time now. It really is a great effect, and it's a great and symbolic way to end your day at Epcot.

I seem to remember it being used on a regular basis with the original version of Illuminations as well as Illuminations 25.

As far as the new show goes, I sure wouldn't mind seeing the original Illuminations. It was less preachy/hippie and just focused on being a great show with outstanding music, fountains, fireworks, and lasers.

Figment1986

S.E.A. said:
but aren't guests still allowed to hang around that area to watch the show?
At DL people get real close to those launching sites too..... as long as they can get people away from any danger.. it's good.

S.E.A.

DigitalDisney said:
As far as the new show goes, I sure wouldn't mind seeing the original Illuminations. It was less preachy/hippie and just focused on being a great show with outstanding music, fountains, fireworks, and lasers.

nah, i prefer the preachy, tear-jerking version has more of a unifying "story" to it, you suddenly understand why they built World Showcase.

yensidtlaw1969

I actually never knew that Illuminations had a story until Wkipedia happily filled me in :D .

Next time I see the show I'll feel good knowing I understand it a little bit more :hammer: .

Yensidtlaw1969

Epcot82Guy

Interesting. I agree that it (a) doesn't roll off the tongue and (b) the show HAS to have Illuminations for it. It is an institution at Epcot. Anyway, guess we'll know sometime! Thanks for the info.:wave:

diddy_mouse

Yeah, thanks for the update! :wave: There are so many changes going on (or *will* go on) at Epcot and its exciting. As long as they keep IllumiNations in the title of the show...it just wouldn't be the same without it.

TheOneVader

Yay, I'm very glad about the return of the laser projection on Spaceship Earth. I always love when they do the laser projection. As for a title? I like the title I came up with a while ago: IllumiNations: A Worldwide Celebration. Then of course they'd have to bring back the song "A Worldwide Celebration" by Gregory Smith that they used to play after IllumiNations 25. I looked for that song for years, and was extremely happy when I found it. :D

TheDisneyMagic

Very interesting to hear, thanks very much, that must of been so interesting to listen to. If they do replace the show, I hope that they either keep the entire music as I think it is probably the most incredible pieve of music ever composed or they keep portions of it.

Maybe the new show is planned for Epcots upcoming aniversary celebration.

dixiegirl

CaliSurfer182 said:
Great info......you just never know how you can end up standing next to at a place like WDW.

very true.. last september my husband and i were standing near a man and his wife that comes at least once a week to see illuminations partly beacuse he helped contruct the barge for it.(the previous one)....he was telling my husband all these little tidbits about it...he "seemed crediable"...but I thought it was cool.

dixiegirl

TheOneVader said:
Yay, I'm very glad about the return of the laser projection on Spaceship Earth. I always love when they do the laser projection. As for a title? I like the title I came up with a while ago: IllumiNations: A Worldwide Celebration. Then of course they'd have to bring back the song "A Worldwide Celebration" by Gregory Smith that they used to play after IllumiNations 25. I looked for that song for years, and was extremely happy when I found it. :D

Isn't it funny to watch illuminations 25 and illuminations now...it seems like the show itself is so short compared to illuminations 25..where did you find the illumnations 25 soundtrack...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom