Once Upon A Dream: A March 2011 Disney Wedding/Honeymoon Pre-Trip Report!

FINALLY! We’re getting married... that’s right, I said married. After seven years of dating and 21 trips to Disney World together, the time has finally come. Oh dear, where do I even start? I’m constantly splattering our faces (and vacation stories) all over the internet so I never quite know how much detail to put at the beginning of a report, because it always feels so repetitive. I guess a little background on us is a must though, seeing as how this is a pre-marriage report and all. :D

We (Holly and Brett) met in 2004 working at one of the dive bars in our little college town. We probably worked together (flirting shamelessly) six months or so before we started dating. We weren’t together two months before Brett had my first trip to Disney planned and executed. For real. I vividly remember us hanging out at a friend’s house one afternoon when the subject of Disney came up. The conversation eventually moved to other territory, except for in our little corner of the room... Brett was downright shocked that I’d never been to Disney. He was like “Let’s go.” And I’m thinking, sure, what’s the harm in playing along with this little game, it’s not like we’re going to pick up and go tomorrow. A few days later he tells me he’s worked out all the details, and if I’m still up for it, we leave next week! Talk about sweeping a girl off her feet. :)

It was a short trip, and I mean short... only two nights. We took off after work one Friday night and were at Downtown Disney by lunchtime the next day. We stayed at Caribbean Beach and somehow managed to hit up all four parks and Blizzard Beach over the course of two and a half days. It was a whirlwind. Here are some pictures from that very first trip. Yes, I had to scan them in because they’re from the dark ages – April 2004 to be precise. High quality!

Apr04.jpg

Apr04007.jpg

Apr04004.jpg

Overall the trip was a screaming success. Of course it was, otherwise I don’t think we’d be where we are today. :lol:

There are a handful of moments from that first trip that are as clear as could be for me... one was running through the Magic Kingdom at night during a major downpour, laughing like crazy and holding Brett’s hand as he drug me from one awning to the next, not caring in the slightest that I was completely drenched from head to toe.

Another was dinner at Ohana. I fell in love. In love with the Polynesian. In love with the restaurant. In love with the food. In love with the fireworks outside the window. In love with Disney. In love with the guy across the table from me. What?!? :eek: Uh-oh. Wait. How’d that happen?! And how am I gonna keep him from noticing? After all we’d only been dating two months.

Another was ice cream on Main Street on our last afternoon, just before we had to leave and head back home. I was hit so hard by how much I didn’t want any of it to end. I still get the exact same feeling every single time we leave property to head home. I think I mention it quite a bit in my trip reports, but my love for Disney is completely and totally tangled up and intertwined with my love for Brett. Falling in love with them both at the same time can have that affect on a girl. :animwink:

For us, Disney is a place where our relationship shines. Simply put... it is us at our best. And as cheesy as it may sound I come away from every trip even more in love with this man than before. THIS is why we are getting married at Disney World... it’s always been a part of our narrative as a couple and it will always continue to be.

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Because I just can’t help myself (and due to the fact that this report is serving as a trip down memory lane for myself), let’s take a look back at just a few of my favorite shots of us in our 21 trips. And of course I had to sprinkle in some of the random characters we’ve met:

FKTMP428_0017.jpg

Nov04013.jpg

FKTMP455_0072.jpg

P9110045_075.jpg

PC240067.jpg

PC250096.jpg

PA080081.jpg

PA070061.jpg

PC160087.jpg

P10_010.jpg

foreverbelle

YEA I am so excited for you guys!!! I so can't wait for the report, and wish you guys all the best in the world. I hope you have a fabulous wedding, and an amazing life together.

Congratulations, enjoy the moment

Yay Holly! After reading every TR you have written since I joined, I feel like I kind of know you guys, which makes me very excited for you! Congrats again! Can't wait to see all of the details unfold. :wave:

Ariel484

Prediction: this thread will blow up when people discover it.

Hooray! So excited that you started a pre-trip report (love it so far) and so, so excited for you guys. :sohappy: Try to enjoy these last few weeks of planning...they will fly by.

sweetpee_1993

Awwww....y'all are so adorable! I love the little walk down memory lane. I'm so excited for you two. Can't wait for all the details and info...and of course the report to end all reports!

Sooooo....ahem....tell us about the details! When you arriving? Ceremony? Dress? (*if you can say since I see that Brett has popped in*) Shoes? Cake? Photography? Reception-like event and/or dinner? Travel plans afterwards? Yes, 'Patience' is my middle name! :lol:

TakeMeThere81

For us, Disney is a place where our relationship shines. Simply put... it is us at our best. And as cheesy as it may sound I come away from every trip even more in love with this man than before. THIS is why we are getting married at Disney World... it’s always been a part of our narrative as a couple and it will always continue to be.

Oh I just love it!! Such a great story and beautiful couple!

I have to agree wholeheartedly with this statement you posted...^^^^

HouCuseChickie

Sooooo....ahem....tell us about the details! When you arriving? Ceremony? Dress? (*if you can say since I see that Brett has popped in*) Shoes? Cake? Photography? Reception-like event and/or dinner? Travel plans afterwards? Yes, 'Patience' is my middle name! :lol:

I totally agree--- WE NEED DETAILS! Please :D :ROFLOL:

DiPSU224

Oh my goodness, I'm so excited for you! You two are so incredible adorable. I love the look back at your favorite photos and moments together.

Finally someone has been able to put into words something that I never could. Some people will never understand our love for Disney and why we love to go so often. It isn't always necessarily the place, but being there together. Disney has always been such a huge part of the story of our relationship.

Best wishes for a stress-free final month of planning and extra prayers for beautiful weather and a smooth wedding day!

P.S: I'll be stalking this thread and the TR forum until your wedding TR pops up! :lookaroun

DisneyRed95

Yay! :sohappy: Holly, I'm so happy you started your pre-trip report!

I had to introduce my husband to Disney. And he fell in love with it as well. :) We just planned our 5th trip in 3 years. The sad thing is we've never vacationed anywhere else. Just Disney! :)

I love the pictures of you two from the first trip. So cute!

Congrats again and I can't wait to hear about the wedding plans!

HollyBelle

Original Poster
YEA I am so excited for you guys!!! I so can't wait for the report, and wish you guys all the best in the world. I hope you have a fabulous wedding, and an amazing life together.

Congratulations, enjoy the moment

Thanks, Aleisha! You're too sweet.

I'm in!! I love it so far and it hasn't even started yet!!

Thanks, Tammy! I think I waited so long to start this because I'm not even sure what all a pre-trip report is supposed to include.

Hol!!!! You have me tearing up already and you just started!!! I so can not wait to hear more!

Aww, thanks, Reese! Don't worry, I put all the mushy love stuff in the first post... the rest will probably just be planning details.

Yay Holly! After reading every TR you have written since I joined, I feel like I kind of know you guys, which makes me very excited for you! Congrats again! Can't wait to see all of the details unfold.

Thanks, Pluto Princess... I hope to include as many details as possible in this one! And is it crazy that I can't wait to write the trip report, when we haven't even gotten hitched yet?! :lol:

Prediction: this thread will blow up when people discover it.

Hooray! So excited that you started a pre-trip report (love it so far) and so, so excited for you guys. Try to enjoy these last few weeks of planning...they will fly by.

You aren't kidding about them flying by, Shannon. OMG! Just yesterday I had 8 weeks left... now that's been cut in half. :eek:

We're getting married?? I guess I better get ready!! :cool:

Don't worry... I'll tell you when to show up and what to wear! :lol:

Awwww....y'all are so adorable! I love the little walk down memory lane. I'm so excited for you two. Can't wait for all the details and info...and of course the report to end all reports!

Hi, Kelly! :wave: Let's see, I should be able to include all of those details but the big one. Patience really will have to be your middle name because there won't be any wedding dress details! Like Brett, you'll just have to wait and see.

Oh I just love it!! Such a great story and beautiful couple!

I have to agree wholeheartedly with this statement you posted...^^^^

Yep... isn't it amazing how a place can mean so much to your relationship. Thanks, Melanee.

I totally agree--- WE NEED DETAILS! Please :ROFLOL:

I think patience is your middle name, too! :lol:

Oh my goodness, I'm so excited for you! You two are so incredible adorable. I love the look back at your favorite photos and moments together.

Finally someone has been able to put into words something that I never could. Some people will never understand our love for Disney and why we love to go so often. It isn't always necessarily the place, but being there together. Disney has always been such a huge part of the story of our relationship.

Best wishes for a stress-free final month of planning and extra prayers for beautiful weather and a smooth wedding day!

P.S: I'll be stalking this thread and the TR forum until your wedding TR pops up!

Thanks, I really had trouble narrowing down those pictures and left out a lot of favorites. I figured 20 was already overkill, any more than that and I'd look like a real narcissist. :lol:

Oooh, I totally need those wishes for a stress-free month of planning. We're having the smallest wedding ever, yet my OCD tends to take over. I couldn't imagine what a big wedding would do to my crazy tendencies.

I love that you "get it." I was having trouble figuring out how to say it, but it's true. Isn't it amazing how a physical place can have such a profound effect on a relationship?!

Yay! Holly, I'm so happy you started your pre-trip report!

I had to introduce my husband to Disney. And he fell in love with it as well. We just planned our 5th trip in 3 years. The sad thing is we've never vacationed anywhere else. Just Disney!

I love the pictures of you two from the first trip. So cute!

Congrats again and I can't wait to hear about the wedding plans!

We're the same way about rarely vacationing other places. Other than a handful of cruises with my parents, we always vacation at Disney. But we're always saying how we need to not buy annual passes one year and instead visit a few other places we'd like to see. Of course, Disney keeps reeling us back in. :lol:

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Now that I’ve gone all ooey-gooey on everyone who dropped in here to read about the wedding/honeymoon plans, let’s go ahead and lay out the basics.

The abbreviated version:
Thursday, March 17, 2011: Check-in, Disney’s Polynesian Resort
Friday, March 18, 2011: Wedding day, Sunset Pointe
Saturday, March 19, 2011: Park hopping with the family
Sunday, March 20, 2011: Board Disney Dream for a 4 night Bahamas cruise
Thursday, March 24, 2011: Check-in, Disney’s Wilderness Lodge
Sunday, March 27, 2011: Check out and head home

How it came to be…
Right after we got engaged we started talking about when and where the wedding would be. Actually, no, we just started talking about when because the where was already decided upon without much discussion. We just knew it would be Disney and it would be small. Neither one of us is interested in planning/having a large event. Small and intimate is more our style.

Seeing as how we’ve been together since 2004, we didn’t want a long engagement. So when we got engaged last August, I suggested May and then Brett suggested March because it would allow us to incorporate an already planned Disney cruise into the mix (and bonus: the cruise was already paid for!). Great idea! So that’s how we ended up with March. This worked out great because when we expressed interest in Sunset Pointe, our planner informed us it was an October-March venue only. We initially thought we’d get married the day before we left on our cruise, but found out that the minimum is much higher ($7500) if you’re having a weekend wedding. Going with Friday for $4750 instead was a no brainer. I’m probably not going to talk a lot about pricing and booking and all of that stuff, but if anyone has questions about it I’ll be happy to share what I’ve learned.

My ideal honeymoon spot would probably be Hawaii, if money weren’t an issue. However, Brett and I are neither one interested in putting ourselves in debt to pay for it right now, nor are we willing to postpone our marriage to save up the money. We can always hit up Hawaii for a future anniversary.

Oh yeah… if you happened to have come across this thread having not read about our Disney engagement, it can be found here if you’re interested:
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=627521

34 sleeps until we check-in...

IMG_7543panorama.jpg

TiggerTime

Very happy for you & Brett, Holly. Looking forward to your report and being part of everything, even if only on this board.

I wish you & Brett a lifetime of happiness.

Enjoy this time, it will go by in a flash.

MouseDreaming

We'll be at the World starting the 17th, too. Although, nothing as exciting and life changing. Congratulations to you both, and wishes for a lifetime of happiness!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom