Dream a little Dream with Master Yoda

A few months ago my boss dropped a little bombshell on myself and the rest of the other Kingdom Konsultants. There was not going to be an Earmarked conference in 2010 and there was much sadness in the kingdom. The sadness was lifted when she informed us that the Earmarked conference would be held in January of 2011 on.....

Wait for it.......

One of the inaugural voyages of the Disney Dream!

166744965_4f3dccae30.jpg

The adventure started out with a 2 night stay at the Contemporary. We got a rather insanely low conference rate on the rooms and I was naturally expecting to be put in the garden wing. My heat began to flutter a bit when I noticed that our room number began with a 4.....that means tower room. Surely it would be a Bay Lake view. Nope. MK view baby!

P1320305.JPG

P1320317.JPG

P1320319.JPG

P1320320.JPG

P1320321.JPG

We arrived somewhat late on Friday and only with only one day park hoppers we decided to spend the evening relaxing at the resort. However, my youngest daughter had a date with Peter Pan that evening. She has been pestering us for years to let her go back to the Neverland Club and we made her a reservation to do just that earlier in the week.

Just a quick FYI.... apparently 9 is the age when your kids think it is clever to smile awkwardly in every picture.
P1320308.JPG

Hurry up with the picture dad!
P1320312.JPG

Love you dear! Yeah, yeah...I got things to do.
P1320316.JPG

Saturday started out with the new breakfast buffet at the Wave. It is a decent buffet. Nothing too special but a fair buffet for the price.

Next up was registration for the conference. I met up with the other KK agents and we made our way to the conference center. Nothing too exciting here, just typical conference stuff. Pick up agenda, tags, etc.

At noon on was on a bus heading for the "Through Walt's Eyes" tour.

The tour started back stage at DHS and went over a few of the hidden details of DS that refereed back to the early history Walt Disney the film maker. It was mostly stuff that the majority of us already know so I will not bore you with the details.

From there we made our way to the special events warehouse behind MK. Let me tell you this is a place that most of us would give our right arm to be left unattended in. Nearly every item that Disney builds for special events gets stored in this building.

After that we made our way into MK. Here we spent quite a bit of time in the Utilidors. We saw quite a bit more of the 1st level of MK than I did on the Keys tour. While it was completely fascinating to me I can see how it would be very unmagical to most.

After that my official day was over and I had a chance to enjoy the parks a little. I headed back to MK through the front gates this time with the family. We planned on hitting a few attractions and watching the MSEP and the new Magic Memories and You show on the castle. In the couple of hours it took for me to eat, collect my family get back to MK it had gone from mild crowds to pure bedlam. Just when did Brazilian tour groups start showing up in January? MSEP was pretty much out at the parade route was packed by 6:00 PM. We decide to kill some time, hit the HM and use a couple of fast passes we had for Space Mountain. We found a decent spot just to the right of the castle about 20 minutes before show time.

Let me tell you the videos of this show do not do it justice. The tech, the music and the story are simply amazing. IMHO the new making memories promotion is one of the best concepts in quite some time. Even if you do not like the show the future application of this projector technology is quite promising. I can only imagine what the Imagineers could do with this for Christmas, Halloween, New Years, etc if given the opportunity.

After the show we had to make it back to the Outer Limits at the Contemporary to meet up with the other KK agents and a few other friends both in and outside of the travel industry. If you think getting out of MK is hard after Wishes you should try it 5 minutes prior. We wound up getting routed back stage. Had we not I fear we might not have made it in any less than an hour.

The evening finished off pretty well. We spent a couple of hours with some great old and new friends. The party broke up a little after ten and we all went to bed with dreams of boarding the DCL's new crown jewel the next day.

The day I had been waiting for had finally arrived. I would be boarding the Disney Dream in just a few short hours. I had a short customer service seminar that I needed to attend that morning. While I was there my wife packed up, fed the kids, gassed up the van and met me out in front of the convention center. Quite honestly I think I am lucky that she even brought the van to a complete stop. She was so excited I half expected her to have me jump in on the run as she circled in the parking lot.

We made it to the port just shy of noon. I had wanted to get there considerably earlier to avoid the rush but it looks like it really would not have mattered. Apparently nearly every delegate at the convention had the same plan and made it to the port early. According to a text I got from my boss the fire martial stopped the incoming buses for a while the mob cleared. Check in went smoothly and efficiently and we were on board a couple of hours later.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Original Poster
This is something new. For your room to "power up" you need to put you key card in this little slot. Without it your room lights, TV, etc will not turn on.
P1320362.JPG

P1320366.JPG

P1320367.JPG

P1320368.JPG

P1320369.JPG

P1320374.JPG

P1320375.JPG

This one threw me for a little loop. This is actually a combo 120 American and 220 foreign plug. Also there are no outlets whatsoever in the bathrooms.
P1320377.JPG

Each room came with a set of these phones for keeping track of each other on the ship.
P1320378.JPG

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Original Poster
More to come tomorrow including food pictures, video of the interactive art and pictures from inside the Roy Disney suite!

Disney_Belle

Thanks for posting Richard! What a beautiful ship! Hope you guys had a wonderful time and I hope conference was a blast - I missed you guys lol!

HollyBelle

I'm sooooooooooooo excited for the rest of your review! And what a fantastic way to start off the trip with an MK Tower room at the Contemporary; the conference rate certainly makes that even sweeter. :D

LeafsFanNL

This is something new. For your room to "power up" you need to put you key card in this little slot. Without it your room lights, TV, etc will not turn on.
P1320362.JPG

I remember seeing something like this system when we stayed at the LTI Tuxpan (A German run hotel) in Varadero, Cuba in 1998. You had to put your room card in the slot to get the AC/TV/lights working

Ariel484

Wow, what a great surprise from the boss! I love the pictures, and that MK view room...super jealous. Can't wait for more! :sohappy:

rsoxguy

Hmm..which should I express, envy or joy? OK, I'll be happy for you. I'm glad to see that you had such a fabuloso trip. :)

corey154

Yeah a Master Yoda trip report! The ship looks beautiful! :)

We live close to the port and every time we go out there my 2 year old keeps telling me I want Disney boat...I guess one of these days I'm going to have to take him! (If I do decide to look into it, I'm calling you to book it for me!)

Nemo14

Great report Richard! We were at WL Friday and Saturday (we still owe you a beer for that one!), but opted not to do the parks , but rather to just relax and enjoy the resort (and the fact that there was none of this blasted snow there!). We heard a lot of people complaining, though, about how busy MK and Epcot was.

The ship looks amazing - can't wait to hear more!

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
I know you got a backstage photo of how/where etc the rafts from the flume get back up to the top of the tower didnt you? I know there is some fun geeky conveyor belt or lift for them. :D

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Original Poster
I know you got a backstage photo of how/where etc the rafts from the flume get back up to the top of the tower didnt you? I know there is some fun geeky conveyor belt or lift for them. :D
I wish I did but sadly I did not. It is a pretty cool conveyor system. Hopefully they will put in something similar at TL lagoon some day.

I'll turn in my geek card at the next Comic Con.:(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom