BROADWAY'S TARZAN and JANE

BRER STITCH

Original Poster
tarzan1_1134075706.jpg

Josh Strickland has been seen as Mark and Roger in the national tour of Rent. He was a national finalist on FOX-TV's "American Idol" and appeared on "Star Search 2004."

Jenn Gambatese played both Natalie Haller and Ed in last season's All Shook Up. On Broadway she has also been seen in Footloose, Hairspray and A Year with Frog and Toad. Gambatese was also part of Off-Broadway's Reefer Madness and both the European and North American tours of Fame.

GETTING PSYCHED FOR THIS ONE!!!

Previews begin March 24th!!!

:sohappy:

hcswingfield

Do you know which season of "Idol" Josh Strickland was on? I've watched every episode since it went on the air and don't remember him at all. And he looks like someone I would remember.....

nicholas

He was the one that Simon said was a Ryan lookalike and made Ryan come into the audition to stand next to him.

These are the two who performed in the presentation I saw last fall. They were wonderful. I've been a fan of Jen's for years now. She's such a gracious person too.

hcswingfield

nicholas said:
He was the one that Simon said was a Ryan lookalike and made Ryan come into the audition to stand next to him.

These are the two who performed in the presentation I saw last fall. They were wonderful. I've been a fan of Jen's for years now. She's such a gracious person too.

OK, I vaguely remember that. But was he really a finalist? How far along did he get?

BRER STITCH

Original Poster
Yeah......He looked a bit different back then too!

He got bumped off early in the season that featured Reuben and Clay.

:)

Legacy

They look good. I just can't wait to hear the soundtrack.

(I have at least a year before I can see the show...)

BRER STITCH

Original Poster
Tarzan Original Cast Recording Set for June 27 Release

The cast recording of Disney's Tarzan--which is currently in previews and opens at the Richard Rodgers Theatre on May 10th--is now set to be released by Walt Disney Records on June 27th. The cast album is also available for pre-order on the musical's website.

The production stars Josh Strickland as Tarzan, Jenn Gambatese as Jane, Merle Dandridge as Kala, Shuler Hensley as Kerchak, Chester Gregory II as Terk, Timothy Jerome as Professor Porter and Donnie Keshawarz as Clayton. Daniel Manche and Alex Rutherford alternate in the role of Young Tarzan.

Two-time Tony Award-winner Bob Crowley (Aida, Carousel), directs the show; he also designed its scenery and costumes. Oscar- and seven-time Grammy Award-winner Phil Collins has written the music and lyrics, expanding his songs for Disney’s film into a complete theatre score. Tony Award-winner David Henry Hwang (M. Butterfly) has written the book, based on the novel, Tarzan of the Apes, by Edgar Rice Burroughs, and the Disney film Tarzan.

Choreography is by Meryl Tankard, with aerial design by Pichón Baldinu (De La Guarda). Lighting design is by Tony Award-winner Natasha Katz (Aida) and sound design is by John Shivers. Other members of the creative team include Paul Bogaev (music producer/vocal arrangements) and Doug Besterman (orchestrations).

To pre-order the cast recording, visit www.tarzanonbroadway.com. It can also be purchased by calling 212-403-7227, Monday through Friday, 9 AM through 6 PM EST.

barnum42

Fantasmic!329 said:
Do you think that the CD will be for sale at the theater itself before the 27th? I'm going to see it on (I think) the 3rd of June.
To be honest, I doubt it. But you never know.

Don't forget to post your review of the show.

Fantasmic!329

barnum42 said:
To be honest, I doubt it. But you never know.

Don't forget to post your review of the show.
If they don't have it when I go, I'll just get it on the Internet.

Watch for a review on or around June 3rd. :wave:

nicholas

Fantasmic!329 said:
Do you think that the CD will be for sale at the theater itself before the 27th? I'm going to see it on (I think) the 3rd of June.
If they do the same as they did with AIDA, then no. But you could still preorder it while at the theatre. And with AIDA, they had a special disc with a production shot on the disc if you purchased during the preorder.

I'll be attending the show on May 8, two days before opening night. I have purposely waited until right before opening so that I can see the final product. Shows change a LOT from the first preview to opening night, especially those that are as technically involved as this one is, so I am waiting until right before opening when everything will be pretty much fixed and set in stone. It's been tough to wait, but it will be worth it.

Early word of mouth isn't all that great. Let's hope they have had the ability to fine tune the things that are holding it back. Although, even if they do get bad reviews, they are already sold well enough and far enough into the future so that it won't be a HUGE disaster at the box office.

artvandelay

nicholas said:
If they do the same as they did with AIDA, then no. But you could still preorder it while at the theatre. And with AIDA, they had a special disc with a production shot on the disc if you purchased during the preorder.

I'll be attending the show on May 8, two days before opening night. I have purposely waited until right before opening so that I can see the final product. Shows change a LOT from the first preview to opening night, especially those that are as technically involved as this one is, so I am waiting until right before opening when everything will be pretty much fixed and set in stone. It's been tough to wait, but it will be worth it.

Early word of mouth isn't all that great. Let's hope they have had the ability to fine tune the things that are holding it back. Although, even if they do get bad reviews, they are already sold well enough and far enough into the future so that it won't be a HUGE disaster at the box office.

Word of mouth is that the show is too long and Act II is a snoozer.

yensidtlaw1969

I'm seeing the 2:00 show tomorrow everning. I'll be sure to give my review!

Yensid "is there a thread for Tarzan reviews, or should I just post it here?" tlaw1969

BRER STITCH

Original Poster
artvandelay said:
Word of mouth is that the show is too long and Act II is a snoozer.

Well....sadly, it's been MUCH worse than that, but they've had lots of time to fix what's wrong since the first previews began, so hopefully they were able to address the issues.

I've heard changes mentioned for everything from the script, to the music, to the "don't try to fool the audience into thinking we are really flying" exposed cable system.

NICHOLAS...it's up to you to get the latest word back to us, as the show should be "frozen" by next week!

I've got my fingers crossed that it all works out!

:wave:

BRER STITCH

Original Poster
yensidtlaw1969 said:
I'm seeing the 2:00 show tomorrow everning. I'll be sure to give my review!

Yensid "is there a thread for Tarzan reviews, or should I just post it here?" tlaw1969

Feel free to post it here since it's been bumped back to the top!

Hope you enjoy it!!! Can't wait to hear what you think!

yensidtlaw1969

Ok, I'm tired, so I'll just give the cliffnotes review for now, but I just got back from the city so I figured I'd share.

Let me start off by saying that Tarzan isn't exactly my favorite Disney Movie, however, I'm pretty good when it comes to unbiased opinions, so i went in the theater starting the show off with a clean slate.

I don't know what changes have been made to it since previews started and if the problems other people addressed were, well, adressed, but I rather liked it. Is it the Lion King? No, and I didn't anticipate it would. LK is a rare combination of tasteful artistry, wonderful storytelling, compelling characters and catchy music woven to create a fabric that is beautiful in every sense of the term. Anyway, if one thing can be said about Tarzan, it's that the show is FUN. People have complained about the main set remaining the same throughout the show (with the exception of the beginning, which is exceptional, I might add. It really sucks you into the show), which it did, but while it was simple it was effective, and it only changed when it needed to, and it changed enough to keep you nterested in it. Ofcourse, I have to bring up the Spider everyone complains about. You can tell it's a spider because of the dialogue in the scene and the puppet itself, although I do admit there was something a little iffy about it (not that I hated it like many people have -- if you have any understanding of how these things works it was very intruiging and nicely done), and i established that the eyes were too high on it's body. If they were lower near the mandible it would look better. Anyway . . .

. . . Overall, I wouldn't call it outstanding, but it is fun. Many people were dancing with the music during the bows. The new songs weren't as memorable as I'd like, and I won't be buying the soundtrack,(though I did buy a T-shirt!) but while you're there it tends to be infectious. If you want to take introduce someone to Broadway, this is a good show for it. The show is full of energy and the cast really seemed to be giving their all and putting on their best performance. The coreography was very interesting (coming from someone with a gymnatics background I can tell you it must have been VERY difficult to stage, especially with that large an ensemble on the Richard Rogers theater stage.

I wouldn't say you should rush out to see the show, but if you get the opportunity to see it, take it. I think you'll be pleasantly suprised.

Yensid "All I will say for now . . . more details tomorrow" tlaw1969

BRER STITCH

Original Poster
Thanks for the review, YensidTlaw1969!

In a couple months, I'll head back to see it again to get a good comparison.

No doubt with the presale and "Disney" name, it will be around for a while no matter what it looks like to experienced theater goers too!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom